Posted

Cult classic Outcast returns with PS4 remaster, out this autumn

The studio behind Second Contact explains how it has overhauled the 1999 open world adventure

Travel broadens the mind, right? This is our motto at Appeal and we dedicate ourselves to create fun and living worlds for players to travel to. Today, I’m very proud to present you our adventure game, Outcast – Second Contact, coming soon on PS4.

TITLE

Outcast is an open world action-adventure game taking the player on an epic journey to Adelpha, an alien planet as dangerous as it is beautiful. In the game, humanity has discovered that it is not alone. Unfortunately, the first contact with intelligent beings has taken a disastrous turn. You are Cutter Slade, a Special Forces soldier sent to Adelpha on a last-ditch mission.

Lost in a foreign world, you will have to earn the trust of the natives, master a powerful arsenal and unveil the mysteries of an enchanting world in order to complete your mission: save Earth from total destruction.

If this looks familiar to you that’s because Outcast was originally released in 1999 and was one of the very first 3D open world action-adventure games. It used software voxel rendering techniques to create a vast and immersive 3D world, offering a movie-like experience with 15 hours of dialogue, a symphonic soundtrack and 50 hours of thrilling adventures!

With Outcast’s never before seen level of freedom, it was something truly extraordinary for the time.

Ever since, Outcast fans have been asking for another trip back to the alien planet of Adelpha. Now is the time! We, at Appeal, are very excited to present Outcast – Second Contact, the full remake of the original game which will be coming, for the first time, to PlayStation 4 this autumn.
Check out our new trailer below and see just how far we’ve come:

There have been a lot of great remakes recently and the bar has never been so high when it comes to open worlds. In order to deliver the same awe-inspiring experience and to create a world that feels alive even today we really pushed the boundaries of the original code.

Long story short, the source code is still there, in C++ coding language, but it then uses the Unity game engine to improve the graphics and audio, the physic system as well as the interface. This has a lot of implications and served our main priority: create state-of-the-art visual rendering of the environments and breathe new life into this world.

This technique really shines in the details. For instance, the location of each tree has been respected, but we re-sculpted everything by hand, from the bark, the growing alien roots, the Adelphian ivies, to the leaves illuminated by our dynamic lighting.

TITLE

Being able to work on this project again and bring it to modern standards has been a dream come true. Not only have we remade all the environments and the character models, but we also revamped the audio, the user interface and have ensured the gameplay is more dynamic and fits modern times and audiences.
Let me show you what our heroes, Cutter Slade and Marion Wolf, look like in 2017:

TITLETITLE

Thank you to all the Outcast fans around the world, we will be back in the coming months for more news about Outcast – Second Contact so stay tuned by following us on Facebook and Twitter.

Until then, may the Yods be silent!

17 Comments
2 Author replies

OH MY GOD! Outcast is back! I get to be Cutter Slade, I get to search for the mon! I get to ride a twonha ! (Excuse my spelling) this is very unexpected but my word!

Guys just to let you know this thing came out in 1999 and was so far ahead of its time. It was the foundation of what modern gaming is now from Mass Effect to Uncharted.

Emperor_Mordred 07 June, 2017 @ 20:56
1.1

Totally!

It came out years before GTA III and Morrowind

Yes! I have very fond memories with this game. Can’t wait to get back in Adelpha!

Yves Grolet 08 June, 2017 @ 13:13
2.1

Same goes for us and we can’t wait to be back either.

This game looks interesting but I can only imagine the horrendous frame rate of this game courtesy of the Unity game engine. Yeah this engine is great for making small 2D games with simple graphics and port them everywhere with little work, but the 3D ones suffer on PS4. I will wait for technical reviews first before considering a purchase.

Carnivius_Prime 08 June, 2017 @ 23:45
3.1

strange cos Unity has a bit of a rep for being a bit of a pain in the butt for creating 2D games in the recent past.

Hello Nathan Drake! :p

This game blew me away when I first played it almost 2 decades ago, and I’m really looking forward to this remake. While it’s been a while now since I really played the game, I still listen to the game soundtrack pretty often.

There is another thing I would love to see on the PS4 too. About a year ago a new Shadow of the Beast was released it, it was pretty good, but more importantly it also included the Amiga original which was so awesome. I don’t know how things are with the copyright and so on, but it would be pretty darn awesome if the Amiga game Agony was available on the PS4 too. Adore that game.

Emperor_Mordred 07 June, 2017 @ 20:54

Outcast was years ahead of its time and the soundtrack is amazing, totally underrated!

I mean, how many 3rd person open world games do you know from the 90’s?

I’m glad it’s back

Carnivius_Prime 08 June, 2017 @ 23:48
6.1

Does Hunter from 1991 on the Amiga and Atari ST count? :)

The Ulukai will come to save the birth!

I played and completed this many time over when it first came out, and was blown away by it back then, the first game that I looked at and simply went “wow!”. This will be a nostalgia trip for me, and I can’t wait to see what you’ve done to update it.

The only thing I could really want to be added to this is a New Game+ mode that gives an alternate ending so we can enjoy it without “that” moment we all remember from the endgame.

Lt_Fed_Brusque 08 June, 2017 @ 10:07

OH MY GOD!! :) Where did this come from?? I still think about Outcast today and how much I loved it back in 1999. YES :D Wow! How the hell did this get a PS4 remaster?Thank you! This just became my number one must-have of 2017.

Yves Grolet 08 June, 2017 @ 13:25
8.1

When we set out to make the full HD remake in Outcast – Second Contact we decided that to bring into the video game landscape of today we couldn’t pass on bringing it to next gen consoles as well, so here we are.

Lt_Fed_Brusque 08 June, 2017 @ 15:25
8.2

You legends :D

I got my gamertag from this game. Still have original boxed copy from when it came out first. Real box made of cardboard with real paper manual. This is now the only game I have interest in this year. Do not f up this remake.

OffirYehezkel25 08 June, 2017 @ 17:09

retail release? thx :)

K_Play3station 08 June, 2017 @ 21:19

This is my favorite game of all time. Please guys make this as epic as possible. I love this game I followed this game way before it came out and bought it the first days it came out in 1999. Guys of appeal, I need a limited edition of this game. With a bright orange ulekai t shirt, statue, steelbook, artbook, cd of that epic soundtrack 😊. I hooe tou giys can realize all of our dreams, for me this is the best game of all time. And I have played them all, the witcher 3, mass effect, halo, uncharted, all these games you guys influenced…..outcast still remains on top! Greatest game of all time! I love you guys appeal for fighting to make this game happen. I supported your kickstarter, and I will support you guys forever!

i loved the original and cannot wait for this updated version. The writing of the characters was superb!

YES! Amazing news! I bought Outcast on PC when it came out and I LOVED IT! Still one of my favourite games ever! Can’t wait for this!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history