Posted

Your PlayStation Plus games for August are Just Cause 3 and Assassin’s Creed: Freedom Cry

Super Motherload, Snake Ball, Downwell and Level 22 also join the line-up

Greetings one and all and welcome to the red-hot reveal for the PlayStation Plus July line-up. We hope you’ve all had fun dodging saw blades, meat-hooks and the occasional backstabbing in this month’s macabre selection of titles? We’re happy to confirm we’ve got all manner of mayhem coming your way on 1st August. Without further ado, let’s take a peek.

Just Cause 3

If last month’s slightly more slow-burning mood left you hankering for something a bit more bonkers then look no further. An over-the-top cavalcade of pure, destructive chaos, Just Cause 3 delivers an open-world third-person romp with all the catharsis and tongue-in-cheek dialogue of a classic ’80s action movie.

As Rico Rodriguez, it’ll be up to you to sire political change in your troubled homeland of Medici through a thoughtful application of rocket launchers, wingsuits, grappling hooks and high explosives. Revolution is never easy, but as the old saying goes: if at first you don’t succeed, tie two helicopter gunships together with a grappling hook, cover them in C4 and smash them into an oil refinery… (you can actually do this).

Assassin’s Creed: Freedom Cry

If, on the other hand, you’re hankering after something a bit more stealthy – and have a soft spot for the high seas – then the mast-straddling, throat-slitting adventures of Assassin’s Creed: Freedom Cry could be just the very thing.

Set several decades after the piratical exploits of young Edward Kenway, this standalone expansion to Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag places you into the boots of shipwrecked sailor and Brotherhood assassin Adéwalé as he goes head to head with a cadre of French slavers. Expect death-defying acrobatics, copious bloodletting and a few pesky Templars trying to do something dastardly.

As per usual, our PS4 games are joined by four other titles on PS Plus this August. Your full line up looks like this:

These titles will be available to download from 1st August, meaning you’ve another few days to download July’s titles:

194 Comments
2 Author replies

Not too shabby. But a add on for Assassins creed!!! Really???

darkswabber 26 July, 2017 @ 16:34
1.1

Stand alone expansion*

those are like a minor stand alone game that add something extra when you own the original game.

1.2

It is not the first time they give a stand alone DLC and at least it is a good one.

supersmith2500 26 July, 2017 @ 16:37
1.3

It’s also a standalone game meaning you don’t need the original game to play it. Some games do that.

Show more replies

ohh wow great.

tombraiders 26 July, 2017 @ 16:36

Pretty good month. Just Cause 3 is a great pick, however why not just offer the actual full game of Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag. I mean come on, it was a PS4 launch game. You could offer the DLC as a discount. Also isn’t Downwell Cross-buy with PS4?

Matthew Groizard 26 July, 2017 @ 17:14
3.1

Yes, I can confirm that Downwell will be Cross-buy on PS4.

3.2

The majority of people would have bought black flag by now as it was a great game! The standalone dlc is great, I’d rather that as you can’t find a physical copy of it

Decent. Might actually download these ones for a change

Just Cause 3 is a great game, same can’t be said for the rest of the selection though. Shame I’ve already got Just Cause 3.

Just Cause 3? Really? That broken game that recieved an update that made the game run worse?

Dear lord, i really hope that Downwell is crossbuy…

6.1

Works fine on the pro

6.2

Runs “better” on the pro and not everyone (aka the majority) has a ps pro.

Sad times where the “fixing” a fame is to purchase a better version of the same console…

6.3

*game

Show more replies
supersmith2500 26 July, 2017 @ 16:38

Just Cause 3? This game is really WORTH checking out if you love open-world games and destruction. Highly recommend it. Too bad I already bought it last year on my birthday.

andrewsqual 26 July, 2017 @ 17:07
7.1

You sound like all the Youtubers that harped on about it before launch even it though it turned out a giant unoptimised mess then. So IS the game fixed now is all I want to know? :)

7.2

Nope still not fixed :/

7.3

Runs fine on the pro

Show more replies
joshuahardz001 26 July, 2017 @ 16:44

We already had “That’s you” has a bonus title for July

Eric Whelan 26 July, 2017 @ 17:12
8.1

That’s You! is remaining available to Plus members for the next while.

bigsolofish 26 July, 2017 @ 16:44

Looks good to me. Only thing I could complain about if I were being pessimistic would be the two main games are both 18’s so nothing for the kids in the house, but I am not! I am really looking forward to JC3

bloodthirst_80 26 July, 2017 @ 16:45

at last a good little selection looking forward to it

Just Cause 3 is awesome but you need the season pass as half the best content is in it.

Infinite jet pack, mech suits, airships and tons more of the coolest stuff is behind the pass.

Stonesthrow 26 July, 2017 @ 18:17
11.1

Goty would’ve been nice if available. Too bad they never include dlc..

I think the dlc is on sale at the moment.

Just Cause 3 is perfect for Plus and I already have Freedom Cry, the rest is just so bad…

Played loads of jc3.

No idea if the actual gamelan is any good because I just play around with the wingsuit.

That’s awesome no need to use any other vehicle

13.1

The vehicles became even less useful if you did the first bit of DLC to get the Jetpack. Just letting you fly round the map at high-speed.

Então porque no Brasil está aquela merda daquele jogo de nave ? Cadê o Just 3 para nos ? Pagamos tão caro quantos os outros países. Tem que ser o mesmo para todos!!!!

14.1

Umm… I agree??

I moaned last month because of the never-ending interactive story kinds of games we were getting so I’m more than happy to come on now and say these picks are interesting. I have Black Flag so happy to get Freedom Cry, although if you DON’T have Black Flag I can understand you might feel a bit short changed perhaps? Just Cause 3 has been given free in Asia recently so I think we deserved that. In which case, I think we may get Killzone and Gravity Rush in the next few months as well.

All in all, a good month for me. No idea about the other games to be fair though. Are any of them cross buy do we know?

Oh, and I played some of those interactive games I moaned about and I actually quite like Life is Strange and Until Dawn (although I hate horror so haven’t played more than the beginning through fear). Still don’t ‘get’ Telltale games though. Nothing will change my mind on that I’m afraid.

15.1

Never was arsed with those telltales either but I gave GoT telltales a shot and man I loved it. Considering it was free and apparently worst of the series. I felt attached to the characters and loved the scenes where you can be a lord.

If you haven’t tried it then give it a whirl I’m glad I did now I understand why people like it.

15.2

Freedom Cry is the standalone DLC rather than an add on for Black Flag owners so no short changing for anyone.

Seriously how can a game like Just Cause 3 be allowed on plus? The game is a complete mess!!! It runs terrible and I find it to be unplayable! I couldn’t last 2 hours before I deleted it. A patch came out that made it even worse!! Anyone who says it isn’t bad is just delusional… A game like this should not be allowed on plus IMO until the devs fix the mess they made… Easily the worst month ever on plus IMO.

Stonesthrow 26 July, 2017 @ 18:21
16.1

I’m gonna give it a try and add my opinion on that as well as I generally have really high standards when it comes to the technical aspect of a AAA. From what I hear it’ll be unplayable for me but maybe people are overreacting..

ziggy-mandias 26 July, 2017 @ 19:29
16.2

I bought Just Cause 3 on sale a month or two ago and I haven’t had any issues with the game. People have said about frame rate drop… I’ve not seen any. This could be because its Digital and not Disc based.

Blubberislife710 26 July, 2017 @ 19:50
16.3

That might explain some of it.

Show more replies
X_Blood_Curse_X 26 July, 2017 @ 16:58

Level 22 looks terrible, but I’m going to guess it’s more cross-buy PS4 padding rather than something for Vita owners?

17.1

Level 22 is available on the PS4, PS3, and PSV, but it’s not crossbuy. Just Downwell (PS4/PSV) and Super Motherload (PS4/PS3) are crossbuy titles this month.

After Until Dawn, terrible games. One additional package, the other one is not working stable and totally crappy game. I’m waiting september.

Carnivius_Prime 26 July, 2017 @ 17:07

eh is ok I guess. Not really fussed about the big two. My fave game out of the lot here is Downwell but I already own it. It’s a lot of addictive arcadey fun though.

19.1

I never got how a game is supposed to be addictive. Not even Tetris back in the day was addictive to me. Where regular people get addicted, I just get bored.

Carnivius_Prime 26 July, 2017 @ 17:42
19.2

It’s called gameplay. Something that’s often shoved aside for loooong talky cutscenes in most AAA games. But hey if even Tetris couldn’t work it’s magic on you then yeah that’s unusual.

19.3

@Cronos: Then it’s time you gave up gaming. If it doesn’t excite, pique your curiosity or addict you then gaming just isn’t for you.

Show more replies
damienmcnugget 26 July, 2017 @ 17:10

Now that’s how you do it – between this and Until Dawn last month you’re on the way to redemption, Sony. Congratuwelldone! :D

20.1

Do people REALLY have such a short memory?

Stonesthrow 26 July, 2017 @ 18:13
20.2

The only way they might be redeemed in my book is to separate online costs from PS+ or drop them altogether. And even that wouldn’t make up for the years I was forced to sub just to play online,regardless of whether you actually ever get anything out of PS+ by itself.

Keep your standards up, people. It will empower us all.

20.3

@Cronoss69

“between this and Until Dawn last month you’re on the way to redemption”

-It’s called reading. The user specifically mentioned between this month and last month with Until Dawn, that they’re on the ‘way to redemption’. Aka…They’re headed towards that, as they’ve been solid for 2 months in a row. It doesn’t mean they’ll stay solid, but that they’re on the right path.

Is this so difficult to comprehend or do you just like to hate?

Show more replies
andrewsqual 26 July, 2017 @ 17:13

I don’t care for a game like Just Cause 3 because it didn’t share the same success as its previous game that I enjoyed i.e. a game that ran incredibly well on its last gen consoles it was brought to, as well as PC. THIS game is supposed to be all over the place with its optimisation though and I always avoided it even when it was in bargain bins.

But I still have to laugh at all the other people complaining, the same people that probably always complain when they say “why isn’t there AAA retail releases on Plus”, well now you got it. Like when Xbone got the hot dumpster fire called Thief (that runs even worse on that console), you all went crazy that you wanted something like that too (I still have NO idea why). Well now you got it lol. What’s the problem?

21.1

What’s your point?

There’s good AAA and bad AAA the same way there’s good indie titles and bad indie titles.

Next month is Just Cause 3 that runs like crap, few months ago it was Broforce (and others).

ziggy-mandias 26 July, 2017 @ 19:32
21.2

@CyraxPT their point was very clear. People moan about wanting AAA games on plus and when they get them, then they moan about how crap the AAA game is.

21.3

Except the game doesnt run like crap Cyrax. But you keep telling yourself that…

DoYouLikeMyID 26 July, 2017 @ 17:23

Good stuff!

I’ve been wanting to try Just Cause 3 and Freedom Cry for a while. And I remember playing the flash-version of Motherload a loooooong time ago, as well as the trial for Snakeball near when the PS3 first came out. So there’s a good deal of nostalgia right there! And I’ve heard good things about Downwell too. I don’t really care much for Level 22, by the looks of it, but hey 5/6 is pretty good!

Was looking forward to JC3, but the technical problems some of you are highlighting have tempered my expectations.

Stonesthrow 26 July, 2017 @ 18:05
23.1

Same here..

23.2

Just try it. It’s *free

ziggy-mandias 26 July, 2017 @ 19:33
23.3

I ain’t had an issue with the Digital version I bought a month or 2 ago in sale.

Show more replies
MGPKiller_02 26 July, 2017 @ 17:32

Do this games will be to every psn accounts or just in USA. positive case, what about brasilian psn

I’d really like to know if JC3 actually runs acceptable on PS4, or if it’s still a glorified slideshow?

And who the heck chooses the Vita titles? I can’t even remember the last time something decent was offered. Was it Golden Abyss or Gravity Rush? Long ago, anyway.

25.1

Performance is a mess on Just Cause 3 on PS4 and they still haven’t fixed it

25.2

I havent had any problems when i played

ziggy-mandias 26 July, 2017 @ 19:34
25.3

I’m with punkkid120 … I haven’t had any issues with Just Cause 3 either. People probably haven’t played it in that long or at all and just jumping on the “band wagon”

Show more replies

“For Free-to-Play, Dreadnaught, launching in open beta on August 1st, will be offering a $20 PlayStation Plus pack starting August 15th. All PlayStation Plus members will also get the Ravenswood Plus Pack free.”

From the US Playstation blog, does europe also gets this or…

Come on admin you’re clearly looking at the comments… Please explain how Just Cause 3 can be allowed on plus when it runs so badly? How can a game like that possible be allowed? I dare you to explain.

Stonesthrow 26 July, 2017 @ 18:02
27.1

Is it really that bad? First time I might consider downloading but if it’s that bad I don’t want to waste my time nor bandwidth..

27.2

I didnt have any problems when i played

ZombieMeat666 26 July, 2017 @ 18:25
27.3

punkkid120 yes you did, we all have the same console so there’s no way you experienced no issues

Show more replies

Just Cause 3 on consoles drops a LOT of frames goes down to 20’s etc very unstable that you have to use PS4 Pro boost mode to make it barely playable, can’t believe they released the game in this state

Assassin Creed Freedom Cry is terrible….

Weak month…

Also you forgot to note Downwell is also cross-buy with PS4

28.1

Never had massive frame drops on my old standard console, actually been surprised to see all these comments.

WOOOOOOW

BeastingBenny 27 July, 2017 @ 08:09
29.1

i like your avatar

I honestly don’t know why you consistently shovel out this rubbish for ps3 and vita. It’s embarrassing.

Carnivius_Prime 26 July, 2017 @ 17:44
30.1

I far prefer the PS3 and Vita games over the PS4 ones this month. Downwell and Super Motherload are fun. :)

Nice, last 3 months were great. Keep up Sony.

terrible month.

According to Digital Foundry latest patch of Just Cause 3 made performance even worse! Look it up on YouTube goes around 15fps in alot of cases disgusting

reggyx3clover 26 July, 2017 @ 17:50

How about giving Vita a game that isn’t indie for awhile…

34.1

I’d really like to see Trails of Cold Steel 2 on plus. It would get interested players to get the first part, too, and I’d get more Trails-goodness. Buuut, won’t happen. At least not until I already bought it.

gnozerwalking 26 July, 2017 @ 17:51

i don’t like this month, bad games.

Stonesthrow 26 July, 2017 @ 18:00

First time I’m genuinely not completely disappointed (besides Puppeteer, which was last-gen)! Just cause 3 is a perfect PS+ fit for me : technically too underwhelming for me to ever buy, but definitely worth a try in general. Already own FC and the rest is shovelware as always.

As always, as far as I’m concerned, to get some of my respect back and make it feel mutual you’d have to drop or separate online costs from PS+ as is the fair thing to do towards all your customers, not just the PS+ loving segment.

Secondly, the last-gen support (shovelware) should’ve been dropped ages ago (or at least separated for a stricktly old-gen public, offering PS3 content to actual PS3 players and stricktly PS4 content for PS4). Right now we merely have 2 relevant choices every month, if that got upped to 6 I’m sure it’d combat some of the utter disappointment this money scheming service has wrought on us.

A loving, but concerned fan.

36.1

Well, strictly speaking, there are folks who own and still use all three consoles.

Cool, Just Cause 3! Pretty sure both Super Motherload and Downwell are crossbuy titles, too. Downwell has got great reviews, looking forward to it!

Another very good PS+ month. Not played any of those games. Loved Assassin’s Creed 4 due to the ship battles. I hope it’s more of the same for the standalone expansion. As for Just Cause 2 never been a big fan of the series. I did enjoy messing around on the Just Cause 2 map so ill be giving this ago.

ZombieMeat666 26 July, 2017 @ 18:28

What annoys me is that because the trash that is JC3 is on we get absolutely terrible PS3 and Vita games. I mean a PS3 game from 2007!!! Seriously? It doesn’t even have any trophies! And anyone who says they didn’t experience issues on JC3 are just lying.

39.1

Sounds more like you are lying to yourself. Just because you claim to have had a bad experience with the game doesn’t mean other people haven’t been able to play the game without any issues.

Sounds more like an issue with your console

Eww, lame o MS paint games for older consoles. Of all the great games on vita and PS3 you pick games that belong in the 80s/early 90s?

For (That’s You)

we in the Saudi Account didn’t get it in the last month even though it was announced for the eu accounts, so can you please confirm/disconfirm whether it is coming or not to the Saudi Accounts ?

Sony can’t win it seems. I was one to yap about he 16 bit looking games but they’re now giving us PS4 games proper and people are still complaining? I don’t know. If they gave us Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Crash Bandicoot Trilogy some people would still complain.

Thanks Sony for finally moving PS4 towards the type of titles we got on PS3. I have already owned JC3 and Until Dawn but it’s good to see PS+ is finally moving in the right direction on PS4.

Anyone on PS3 needs to upgrade already. The PS4 is approaching it’s 4th anniversary. If you can’t afford a PS4 then save the money you spend on PS+ and buy PS3 games with it instead, they’re cheap enough now. Vita? We all know Sony gave up on that a long time ago so I did too. Unfortunate, but Sony like doing that and VR looks like it will be getting the same treatment before long.

The_David_Diablo 27 July, 2017 @ 11:10
42.1

It’s stupid. Now people really are being entitled, whiny babies. I haven’t complained about a lineup in months because they are finally providing good quality games. I think some people are just salty that they are moving away from giving indie games every month, while others feel entitled to only games that score higher than 85 on metacritic and have come out in the last six months. Just look at the votes on the bottom of the article, the majority is happy. It’s just a vocal minority complaining in the comments…

And still they moan.

When there was no Triple A, that was a problem.

Now we’re getting Triple A, it’s the wrong type of Triple A, or Triple A with a bad rep, or Triple A that they already bought or, you know, Triple A that they just don’t like and feel personally slighted by its very existence because EVERYTHING IS ABOUT ME ME ME WAAAAA WAAAA WAAAAAA ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME I’M IMPORTANT WAA WAAA WAAAA ME MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME.

I can’t stand co-op games. Last month they gave us Killing Floor 2. GOOD

I can’t stand sims. In May they gave us Port Royale 3. GOOD.

I can’t stand mud. In June they gave us WRC. GOOD.

And why does it not bother me that these games are made available, even though they are not precisely to my taste?

Simple, really. Because I’m aware that I’m not the only person in the [DELETED] world.

[DELETED].

Show full comment

And still they moan.

When there was no Triple A, that was a problem.

I can’t stand co-op games. Last month they gave us Killing Floor 2. GOOD

I can’t stand sims. In May they gave us Port Royale 3. GOOD.

I can’t stand mud. In June they gave us WRC. GOOD.

[DELETED].

Honestly, these entitled little brats simply do not know how good they’ve got it: more games than it is feasible to play, even if all you have is a modest game purchasing budget. Be thankful you were born when you were, tweenies, and not in a time when you’d have to work 20 hours in a fast food joint just to be able to afford one Nintendo cart’ that you’d be stuck with for three months, whether you liked it or not.

You ungrateful little [DELETED].

Hare Krishna.  :-)

xxx

Blenderernz 27 July, 2017 @ 00:03
43.1

This is so accurate

The_David_Diablo 27 July, 2017 @ 11:19
43.2

To be fair, I think it’s just a vocal minority that is now complaining. Most people are happy with this lineup and the general increase of AAA games. Personally, don’t care if it’s indie or AAA, I’m just happy about the general improvement in quality of the games released. You have to admit, we have had some really crappy months in the past worth complaining about.

AlucardTepes_DE 29 July, 2017 @ 02:28
43.3

The thing is now we will be paying 60€ instead the initial 50€ for the PLUS Membership.

But hey, everyone got what they wanted, AAA all the way, now you pay harder you pumpkins!

Blubberislife710 26 July, 2017 @ 19:52

Although JC3 is pretty buggy, I appreciate the wider variety of genres.

People love to complain about getting free stuff. Never had an issue with JC3, but even if I had, I wouldn’t care because I’m not paying for it.

45.1

Whats worse is how many people are in utter denial that people have been able to play the game without any problems. They say people are lying, but it sounds more like they are lying to themselves.

HOLY F…. I’m blown away!! Think I already own Freedom Cry. Just Cause 3 is a game i will be trying out! Thanks Eric

Damn no matter what we get people always find a reason to complain

Lol! I know JC3 has some issues, but its worrying how many people are claiming it was unplayable for everyone.

Pretty sad they cant understand that people will have different experiences, so much they they will lie to themselves about how people couldn’t have a good experience with the game.

I don’t have the slightest clue what some of these people are complaining about. I haven’t picked up JC3 in a while because I got distracted by newer releases, but I put quite a few hours into it and experienced nothing but a great time.

Sacred_DarkSoul 26 July, 2017 @ 22:29

At first glance it looks good, but then you check and both titles have had an average reception.

Anytime a AAA title receives a metacritic of around 70% its usually pretty mediocre from my experience.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history