Posted

PS4 system software 5.00 features detailed

The latest PS4 beta trial starts today – here are the features that testers can get early access to

If you were selected to be a beta tester for the next major PlayStation 4 system software update 5.00 (codenamed NOBUNAGA), today’s the day you can get your hands on the new features. If you were chosen, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download the update and get started.

Whether you’re in the beta programme or not, we wanted to give a first look at the features included in this update. We’re introducing Family Accounts, making it easier to manage your friends, and adding a variety of new features for broadcast, notifications, messages and much more.

Families on PlayStation Network

The existing master/sub-account system is being redesigned to be more family friendly. This new “family on PSN” system will offer a more flexible experience, make it easier to set up PSN accounts for children, and customize parental control settings for each family user. Below are the new features that will be introduced with update 5.00:

• Family Manager, parents/guardians and child accounts

Each family on PSN will now have a Family Manager. In turn, the Family Manager can promote any other adult in the family to be a parent or guardian.

From there, each parent or guardian can customise the parental control levels of each child account, such as restricting certain age ratings or online access.

• Individual parental controls

Before this update, the same parental controls were applied to all users on the same console, including adults. But with 5.00, all controls (including game age ratings) can be individually controlled for each child account.

Friend list management

In place of the current ‘Favourite Groups’ tab, we’re adding a new ‘Custom Lists’ tab on the ‘Friends’ screen.

This will allow you to create and edit custom lists of your friends and arrange them into specific groups, based on the games you play, or groups of friends you like to hang out with online. For example, you can create a custom list of your Destiny teammates and easily send them raid invites.

PS4 System Software Update 5.00

Broadcast feature updates

• Communities

If you’ve set up a community on your PS4, you can now link your community to your live gameplay broadcast. When a broadcast is linked to a community, the community button appears on the ‘Live from PlayStation’ spectator screen, allowing any spectator to jump directly into your community page to check out the details or join.

• PlayStation VR

We’ve added a new setting in PlayStation VR: ‘Display Message to Spectators and Spectators’ Comments’. Once this is enabled, spectator comments sent during a broadcast are displayed not only in cinematic mode, but also in VR mode – so you’ll be able to read comments and interact with spectators from within your PS VR headset.

• PlayStation 4 Pro

Message improvements

You’ve already been able to share your favourite music to Twitter and Facebook via Spotify and PlayStation Music, but now you’ll also be able to share individual tracks by sending a message on PS4.

Your friends will be able to listen to the track directly from the message you send, and if they’re on their mobile device, they can jump directly to their Spotify app from the PS Messages app to check out the song and add it to their own playlist.

PS4 System Software Update 5.00

Notifications updates

We’ve added a new setting that allows you to disable pop-up notifications while you’re watching a movie or TV show on your PS4. This setting is set to ‘off’ by default, so go to Settings > Notifications to enable it.

PS4 System Software Update 5.00

Furthermore, you now have the option to turn off message previews on your pop-up notifications. If you turn this setting off, the pop-up notification will hide the message senders’ online ID and will display a generic user icon and message instead.

Lastly, you’ll have the option to change the colour of your pop-up notifications to either white (default) or black.

PS4 System Software Update 5.00

Quick Menu updates

If you want to keep an eye out on what’s happening in your Notifications tab – like game download progress or new invitations – you can now access this directly from the Quick Menu without leaving your game.

PS4 System Software Update 5.00

Also, we’ve added a ‘Leave Party’ option in the Quick Menu, so you can easily exit a party and go right back to playing your game.

PS4 System Software Update 5.00

Virtual surround sound on PS VR

PlayStation VR now supports 5.1ch and 7.1ch virtual surround sound through your headphones when watching Blu-rays and DVDs in Cinematic Mode, making for an even more immersive viewing experience.

Improved tournaments bracket viewer

We’ve added a new ‘bracket viewer’ that shows full tournament brackets for Single Elimination and Double Elimination tournaments on PS4, making it easier for you to see the current tournament standings.

PS4 System Software Update 5.00

Updated language support

The PS4 user interface now supports Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Greek, Thai, Indonesian and Vietnamese languages.

As always, if you’ve been chosen as a beta tester, your feedback is really important to us and lets us fine-tune the new additions ahead of the full system software release. We really hope you enjoy using these new features – let us know how you get on in the comments below, and through the usual feedback forums.

201 Comments
0 Author replies
SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 13:10

This looks fantastic, hopefully I will be able to test this as I always love providing feedback for you. Great update as always!

Your optimistic lol if you ask anyone elsewhere everyone saying this update is terrible..

1.2

It isn’t that terrible some positives and negatives

But for some gamers they are content with minimal Features

I was hoping for a Game stat page or Trophy tracker

I did get selected and will be testing this out tomorrow for sure

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:13
1.3

I didn’t ask for anyone else’s opinion. I am looking forward to it like any update. I got access, and it is pretty good.

Show more replies
SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 13:34
2.1

I’m pretty sure this isn’t everything.

2.2

Not ready might be a few more Firmwares before we see this

Still waiting for this…

Will this update also remove the new TV & Video layout, and finally let us organise those apps ourselves?

4.1

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:19
4.2

They are ideas and not promised features.

This, so much. I absolutely hate having to scroll through (I assume paid-off-Sony) apps to get one I’ve ACTUALLY INSTALLED. Ugh.

What about trophy progress tracking?

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:21
5.1

This is something the developers would need to assist PlayStation on, it’d need to be integrated perfectly too – most games already offer the ability to track progress any way – which could mean it’d be easier to introduce into PS, but they don’t have access.

UltraSilver64 17 August, 2017 @ 16:39
5.2

So? Microsoft already did this on XBONE, so I’m sure Sony can do this for PS4.

If they can’t do it for this update, hopefully they will for 5.50 or 6.00.

5.3

Agreed Xbox already has the tracking feature why can’t PlayStation

Hi, release date update 5.00?, thanks

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:20
6.1

It has just released to selected users, this won’t be around until September or November publicly I assume.

Shakeyshooter do you work for Sony or something you damage controlling this lackluster update everywhere lol

KittenKibbles 18 August, 2017 @ 09:17
6.3

joyrul Really though, if I see another comment section on here covered with Shakey’s comments like this, it’ll be the last time I check ’em out here haha

It would be awesome if you could add current hour somewhere in quick menu.

Look at the screenshots: top right

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:14
7.2

If you are somewhere other than the PlayStation main menu, it will show the time in the top right if you activate the Quick menu.

Thank you Sony for the Greek language support! First time ever a console with Greek language! Thank you so much!

8.1

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:15
8.2

all this is well and good, but for the love of all that is holy, let me delete or at least hide all those damn video apps that are forced onto my screen. I don’t use the PS4 for video, so let me get rid of them.

I understand other people will use them and that’s fine, but if I can at least hide them from my view, that would make me very happy

9.1

what do you mean? i don’t see any video apps on my menu (and i’m not using any)

9.2

Are you looking at the TV/Video section lol …it’s pretty big layout you can’t miss it

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:15
9.3

The TV and video apps will always be there with that UI. They aren’t that intrusive.

Show more replies

Wow this is really really disappointing…… That’s it? We waited 6 months for the big 5.0 update and we get a bunch of nothing?

Man you guys are way behind the competition in terms of software updates and features.

Why don’t you listen to our requests and add what we want and more important? :/

10.1

Yeah we really need the 100 millionth dashboard update this gen that the “competition” gets and loves every time all their stuff is now somewhere else.

10.2

The “competition” WISHES it had something as mind blowing and advanced like the 3 year old Share Play.

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:16
10.3

If you are ‘so’ disappointed just move to Xbox or PC.

Show more replies

I was waiting for the possibility of removing demos from the library and it isn’t there. Most of the things are just small or cosmetic improvements, I don’t even see why this update deserves a major version bump. Very disappointed.

Agreed. I have so many demos/trials and betas in my library that are obsolete, wish I could remove them!

11.2

It’s not a major jump, it’s just the next number down the line, very rarely does an update with :00 at the end add major features.

JediKnight246 17 August, 2017 @ 19:54
11.3

Removing demos from the library would be an improvement. I still have the Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light demos listed in my library even though I have the full games for both.

MiseryPrincess 17 August, 2017 @ 14:01

The best thing about this is being able to have notifications in black again instead of distracting white.

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:29
12.1

*jumps in excitement*

Same, as usual the main features are things I don’t care for but even though it’s a minor thing I’m super happy to be able to revert back to the old black notifications!

Can you individually select games/apps you allow for children accounts? The peggi rating is usually not “my” rating.

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:17
13.1

You can only select ratings that exist, or just remove them.

Minus the quick menu additions, this update is pretty weak.

How hard is it to stick in a frickin PS1 emulator? Jeez, even the PSP has one.

15.1

It not possible on ps4 been known for while.

15.2

Lol even the 1999 PS2 had it. Even PS Vita, Sony’s most unsupported main hardware release ever, had it. It boggles the mind.

Carnivius_Prime 17 August, 2017 @ 15:15
15.3

How can it not be possible? In this age pretty much any device can emulate a PS1 without breaking a sweat. I’d like all my PS1 purchases back on my current machine with Shareplay/Broadcast stuffs.

Show more replies
SlayerHere2k11 17 August, 2017 @ 14:34

Disappointing TBH. Name changes are never coming and the competition is already including stuff like digital refunds and has given nods that digital gifting will be a thing. Another update with a bunch of stuff no one asked for.

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:19
16.1

Refunds are already a thing if you contact PlayStation. Name changes will not be possible due to the way the usernames work, it’d only ever work like Steam does.

SlayerHere2k11 17 August, 2017 @ 17:28
16.2

There’s a difference between “refunds” and “digital refunds”. Digital refunds allow you to get your refund without having to go through contacting PS.

MiseryPrincess 18 August, 2017 @ 15:19
16.3

There has been wishlists on PSN for a while, and the ability to see friend’s wishlists. Soo, it makes sense that the next step will be to be able to buy each other games??

Show more replies

… I was hoping to test ride Czech translation, unfortunately no beta code received …

17.1

Seems like I entered wrong PSN ID , my bad :D installing the beta now

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:19
17.2

:D

Lol you people posted this on Edexcel A level result day

GrumpyMcGrump 17 August, 2017 @ 14:54

anyone here who got a beta invitation?

CossieLover1369 17 August, 2017 @ 16:01
19.1

Yeh I just got an invite you get 2 friend codes also!

yawnn, i owuld have thought a 5.0 update would be considerably better than a 4.5, are you even trying anymore?

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:27
20.1

*sighs*

They could easily say the same about your spelling ‘unbiased’.

Shakey what made you the thought police for this blog post. Pointing out what is obviously a typo is just a cheap shot.

What? He spelled ‘unbiased’ correctly.

would

also maybe an update for an edit function on the blog one day??

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:26
21.1

Just copy your comment and paste it in a new box making the necessary changes.

Apart from seeing downloads in the quick menu there is literally nothing else interesting to me.

Why is it impossible to allow PS1 support when even the PSP & Vita support it!

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:26
22.1

I don’t think you’ve been paying attention, they have said they’ll attempt to add PS1 classics to the PS NOW collection.

22.2

@SHAKEYshooter123

Silly us.

Why on earth would you give users access to the games they bought on earlier iterations of the PlayStation if you can just let them pay again (monthly!) by pushing them to PS NOW. And still then, Sony has to add the game you want to play to PS NOW or else you are just [DELETED].

:’)

I say from the tiny that Sony is the best i have sony cellphone, tv, ps4, ps4 pro, psvr.  And localization into my language, which is Czech, means very much, Sony is just the best and I appreciate it and thank you very much for letting people who have the power of English can not thank you very much I have to write it here for somebody to read it or Not I just love your products and once again thank you very much I can not wait to get another thank you again and thank you all for updating 5.00 work for all people Thank you.THEREFORE I DO NOT TRANSMIT THE ENGLISH’S SKILLS TO PREVENT I TRANSMIT THE GOOGLE TRANSLATOR BY HAPPY TO THINK.

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:25
23.1

People don’t realise how much stress Sony receive, while they have separate departments – they have to run much more than Microsoft, Phones, Systems, Consoles, Movies, Software.. I can go on!

23.2

Lets not forget that the only division that’s actually making money is the Playstation division.

Meh, still waiting on that name change feature. It’s nice that you’re improving broadcasting and all but how about getting rid of that god ugly notification censor that appears when trophies pop while streaming? I want people to see my trophy notication not some horrible distorted image that totally puts viewers off watching.

Cool

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:24
25.1

Carnivius_Prime 17 August, 2017 @ 15:15

“Good news for Twitch users: with this update, PS4 Pro will support 1080p 60fps streaming on Twitch.” In abscence of PS1 emulation, this is by far the best thing on the list for me since I have a Pro and occasionally broadcast on Twitch. Thanks for that. I can do without all the family stuff… i have not much family anyways

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:23
26.1

That’s great that it’ll help your Twitch out! The family stuff is being continued due to a large effort to reduce children from playing games, they shouldn’t be.

26.2

Shakey what do you mean children shouldn’t play games? Ridiculous comment. That’s how most of us started out gaming. They should be protected from inappropriate content. But to say children shouldn’t play games is ludicrous

knockedbirdcage 18 August, 2017 @ 07:42
26.3

@el-stebbo Read it again! He clearly says: to reduce children from playing games, they shouldn’t be.

He’s Not saying, children shouldn’t be playing.

CoolRichy007UK 17 August, 2017 @ 15:22

Well my awesome friend fraggerfred got a email from sony with 3 beta codes 1 for him and x2 for his friends he kindly gave me a code and another friend a code so if you dont get a email from sony with a beta code but your friend gets 3 beta codes you might be lucky to get 1 from your friend so its very nice of my best friend to give me a code

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:23
27.1

I was excited and surprised to see my friends be able to access the beta too! #woo

LET US CHANGE OUR PSN ID!

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 15:31
28.1

Again, you need to pay attention to what they announce. They are trying, like they are with PS1 classics, if you want it now just move to Xbox.

28.2

Why would someone move to Xbox just because they want to change their PSN identification… it’s not like he said anything negative…. wow.

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 16:06
28.3

When in every post PlayStation make there is someone asking, it gets silly.. you know?

Show more replies

Finally some love for the quick menu <3

Man 😔😔😔 where is the the option to change gamer tag ????

I have to be honest, I was jealous again that having applied for the beta that I wasn’t officially invited. Now I don’t really care. I’m still hoping to see official support for Rainway with their Nintendo Switch application and multi-platform browser support coming very soon.

I’m still playing my PS4 games on my PC with the PC PS4 Remote Play application at 1080p with no lag /shameless plug for Sony.

31.1

Add me as a friend and i’ll send you one of my codes.

31.2

Your privacy settings don’t allow me to do so.

Destruction_T23 17 August, 2017 @ 15:47

Make an update to change our online ID please 😭

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 16:05
32.1

Start paying for PlayStation Plus.

32.2

He may be piggy backing the plus from the primary account on his PS4. Ever think about that? I’ve read all the way through these comments and you’re constantly telling people off for having an opinion. Chill out.

I would of liked to see GIF and Video (both captured video and YouTube links) support added to the communities players create. Support for the Dolby Access app so select Netflix content and select future games can be enjoyed in Dolby Atmos. Background/Theme creator, so users can use a captured video clip as their background. Extend the video upscaling capabilities to include video played via the Media Player app not just DVD’s & Bluray’s. More Key tone sound FX’s to choose from would be good as well, the default key tone is annoying at this point.

Support for H.265 video (HEVC) not just an MP4 H.264 with 4K resolution, DSD 5.6 MHz, DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD audio support in the Media Player app. Supersampling support for the YouTube & Netflix apps for users of PS4 PRO on a 1080P display, so videos will play in 4K but sample down to 1080p resolution for a crisper cleaner image. “Stats for Geeks”, realtime audio & video bitrate info/analysis overlay in the Media Player app.

...Show full comment

Virtual Surround Sound for PSVR while watching Blurays? That’s 10 steps backwards, the opposite of innovation. The best solution for this would be Dolby Atmos over headphones on selected Blurays that have an atmos audio track. The best thing to do would be to forget about headphones all together if a person has a home cinema system send the audio to that instead.

34.1

The unique thing about this virtual surround sound update for PSVR is that you actually don’t need a headset that supports 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. U can use a stereo 2.0 headset and still get 5.1 or 7.1 audio experience, as long as u use a wired connection through the PSVR headset mini-jack and the said audio track is availlable on the DVD/Blu-ray/Game. So this is actually a really innovative feature and indeed a step forward! I reckon you need a Dolby Atmos compatible headset to receive Dolby Atmos audio.

thisisgamerthief 17 August, 2017 @ 16:00

When comes a gamertag change hopefully soon

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 16:04
35.1

It’s ID. If you are so fantasised, move to xbox.

CloudStrifeNL 17 August, 2017 @ 17:53
35.2

Stop telling everybody who wants to change PSN name to move to Xbox. You’re making a fool of yourself.

ExplodingJuice82 17 August, 2017 @ 16:01

Here are two friend codes for this beta. First come first serve!

R8GD-LDNN-R5LN

AQ7J-ANNG-BNKE

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 16:04
36.1

Aww, that’s nice that you are sharing!

ExplodingJuice82 17 August, 2017 @ 16:07
36.2

Well I have no friends to give them to unfortunately, so I turn to the internet. =D

Could we please get a way to re-arrange the Power options in the Quick Menu?

I don’t want “Sleep mode” to be the default position for the cursor, but rather “Turn off PS4”.

SHAKEYshooter123 17 August, 2017 @ 16:39
37.1

You shouldn’t ever put your PS4 in full off mode, it is only suppose to be used for unplugging, If you don’t like the rest mode (which uses close to nothing in power consumption) you can disable it in eco settings.

CloudStrifeNL 17 August, 2017 @ 17:54
37.2

This would be great indeed! Power off, not sleep mode. Give us the choice!

Shakey you are again incorrect power off is a valid option not just for “unplugging”. Some people may have valid reasons for wanting to do this. I too would prefer the option to choose between power off and sleep mode as a default.

Show more replies

Make an update to change our online ID please

38.1

sony or playstation will never have that people have been asking for it early in the ps3 days its not something they want

38.2

mmynutzacks correction, it’s not something they can do***

They can attempt cheap roundabout ways though, like Steam’s method. I like Steam’s anyways, it’s a perfectly valid option and very easy to implement in a database system.

CoolRichy007UK 22 August, 2017 @ 01:00
38.3

Not wont never will not happen ever!

was hoping i got access to the system software :( i was so exited when i saw the post early in the month and i signed up right away. sony why u do dis

I think it’s time give up hope that Sony will allow us to change our usernames. I just don’t understand why they are focusing major updates on content that is insignificant and will only cater to a small portion of the community. Just please let us change our usernames!

CoolRichy007UK 22 August, 2017 @ 00:59
40.1

Username change will not never no way denied wont will not shall not ever happen your stuck with the Username permanently unless after you change your us someone could use your old Username and cause mischief so a Username change wont happen never its a security risk case closed comment closed mic dropped

So there isn’t really a lot going on other than being bake tomput friends into groups and make it family friendly, pretty sure I’m going to pass on this update for as long doesn’t seem to affect me too much just seems a lot of hoo Haa over nothing, you still can’t change you PSN ID which seems a really basic thing you can do, must admit I nearly fell asleep with boredom reading this

ShovelFighter_89 17 August, 2017 @ 16:37

the only feature that I like is changing the notifications from white back to black….i was hoping for a UI refresh or at least for the Library to get some love but nope, pretty poor for a Main update

The major update is only missing one thing that many people wants and that’s, “Bluetooth Speaker connectivity, A2DP profile.” What about that Sony Team?

As unexciting as when the beta info leaked.

“Friend list management” love it! “Notification popups” would love to see them without any background <3

I am still waiting for them to increase the amount of players can join your party 8 just isnt enough

So still no trophy list A-Z as suggested / requested about the only thing you guys can’t seem to do on a PS4

CloudStrifeNL 17 August, 2017 @ 17:55
47.1

Would have loved this as well but I guess it’s very hard to implement this. Can’t guess why it would be hard but it must be cause it’s not in this update yet either.

So, no PS One Classics Cross Buy then… :'(

48.1

That’s why I have PS3

Usually i get into these things but sony only send me thanks for your purchase emails now even though they have permission to email.

Luckly my other half keeps getting beta emails so were in again =)

Nice touch giving each email 3 codes too!

CoolRichy007UK 22 August, 2017 @ 00:56
49.1

Ok, sure – can you fix media sync now? It’s been over a year and I can’t watch more than 20 mins of footage without it going out of sync. It’s ridiculous as it wasn’t happening prior to Patch 3.0. Would be nice to address the issue.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history