Posted

6 things you need to know about Monster Hunter: World’s PS Plus beta, live this weekend

Prepare for this weekend's trial run with an expert guide from the game’s creator

Hi, I’m Yuya Tokuda and I’m the director of Monster Hunter: World. Speaking on behalf of the whole development team, I’m delighted to be able to bring the beta test of Monster Hunter: World to players worldwide.

This is the first time we’ve released a Monster Hunter game in all regions simultaneously, and also the first time the online multiplayer servers have supported global matchmaking, so it truly is the most worldwide Monster Hunter game yet. That’s why we decided to release a beta in order to stress test the servers.

I hope you enjoy the selection of quests we’ve included in the beta and get the most out of it while it’s available. By playing the beta and enjoying the hunting action of Monster Hunter: World, you’ll also be helping us out a lot! A huge, living, breathing world of thrilling action awaits you.

Today I’m going to explain what’s in the beta and how the get the most out of it, especially if you’re a newcomer to Monster Hunter and aren’t sure how to get into the game. Don’t worry, you’ll love it!

1. The backstory to your mission and quests

While the beta features several quests, the main game has an engaging storyline for you to follow. You’ll embark on a mission to the New World, a newly discovered continent, and join an expedition to discover more about this mysterious land. This is actually the fifth time a research party has been sent, following in the wake of the Elder Dragons which cross the ocean every 10 years to the New World. To discover the fate of your hunter and the rest of the team, you’ll have to play the full game!

2. Your weapons: what they are, how they work, and our recommended loadout

Monster Hunter: World features 14 different weapon types, each with its own unique moves and gameplay, and you can try out all of them in the beta. We’ve included a short video showing you how the weapon looks, and you can also hop into the training area to give them a try for yourself. (You can change your weapon inside the training area too!)

TITLE

The game plays quite differently depending on your choice of weapon, so for newcomers to Monster Hunter, I’d recommend choosing one of the faster weapons, such as the Dual Blades or the Long Sword. These are actually the two weapons I personally use when I’m first testing out a new monster during development, as they let you move around quickly so you can easily get a read of the monster’s behaviour.

We also have some ranged weapons available to use: two kinds of Bowgun (Light and Heavy) and the Bow. These weapons have been rather tricky to control in the past, so for Monster Hunter: World, we’ve made them a lot easier to use. If you’re used to playing shooter games, I think you’ll be able to pick these up pretty quickly and get right into the hunt.

3. Choose from a range of preset hunters

The full game features a detailed character creator which will let you create your ultimate hunter. For the beta, we’ve kept things simple and provided you with some preset hunters to choose from.

TITLE

4. How to start a co-op party and how to communicate with other hunters

Co-operative multiplayer is a great way to take down the huge beasts in this game. To hunt with your friends, all you need to do is start a session and share the ID with your friends so they can input it and join you. But even if you haven’t got anyone you know to play with, go ahead and join up with other players from around the world. There’s a variety of ways to communicate with one another – not just PS4 voice chat and text chat, but also set phrases that will automatically show up in the right language for everyone, and some fun stickers and gestures.

TITLE

One of the best things about Monster Hunter is the amazing community spirit. Back in the day, I once joined a quest online to fight against a monster that I’d actually created myself. I thought that being its creator meant I could take it on by myself, and ran straight in with my sword swinging, but I was too cocky – I got taken out pretty quickly. It was embarrassing but the rest of the hunting party helped me get back on my feet and, together, we took the beast down!

I still hunt together with some of those hunters to this day. It just goes to show you that even the most experienced hunters make mistakes, so take it easy on them! You never know, you might be able to make some new hunting pals and add each other to your PSN friends.

TITLE

5. The two different maps you can explore

The beta features three quests set in two different maps: the Ancient Forest and the Wildspire Waste. I wanted this game to have each map be its own ecosystem, with believable interactions between all the living things in it, even down to the plants.

Have fun exploring each map – they’re very different from each other, from the verdant splendour and dense foliage of the Ancient Forest to the arid landscapes and mucky swamps of the Wildspire Waste. There are even more maps to come in the full game, so this is just a taste of the incredibly detailed maps in Monster Hunter: World.

6. The bigger monsters for those wanting an extra challenge

I think I’ve covered pretty much all you need to know to get into the beta. I’m excited to see how you all find it – but I imagine that there will be some of you expert players out there who want an extra challenge.

If so, you should try finding the large monsters in each map who aren’t the main quest target – that’s Rathalos in the Ancient Forest, and Diablos in the Wildspire Waste.

These guys are truly tough customers, and will test all your skills – not just with weapons, but understanding and utilising your environment and, in multiplayer, working as a team with your fellow hunters. Getting to know each map is especially important: for example, the dam in the treetops of the Ancient Forest can be used for some “explosive” action…

TITLETITLE

Rathalos and Diablos are both at the top of the food chain in their respective maps, so I spent a lot of time working on them, from making them visually impressive to the gameplay balance while hunting them. They’re very challenging, but if you can successfully take them down, the sense of achievement and satisfaction you get is second to none, and that’s what makes Monster Hunter so special.

Anyway, that’s enough from me! Get out there and get hunting!

What did you think about this story?
46 Comments
0 Author replies

Hi Yuya Tokuda, thank you for everything you have done to bring this incredible experience to PS4. Monster Hunter is by far my favourite game of all time, and what I’ve seen so far, long may that continue. From PSP to now, this is the moment I’ve been waiting for, Monster Hunter on the P S 4!! Let the hunting begin!

I haven’t played Monster Hunter since ‘Freedom’ on the PSP, but I don’t have the words to convey how excited I am to play Monster Hunter: World on PlayStation 4. I cannot wait! All the best to you and your team, Tokuda-san!

Exactly when does it go live? And can we pre-load?

“Pre-load for Monster Hunter: World beta starts at midnight tonight, and the beta goes live at 6pm CET on Saturday, 9th December and runs until 6pm CET on Tuesday, 12th December. You’ll need PS Plus to access the beta. “

There is always someone who doesn’t pay attention.

I’m very ecstatic to play MH again. I’ve played since the Monster Hunter on the PS2 and still hunt with the hunters met from that game. One even wrote a complete Walkthrough with parts locations and drops for that first MH installment and was quite thorough in keeping it updated. Lots of memories had on the original and the many more with the ones that came out afterwards. I am completely overtaken to see this game back in a such a huge graphical update to the series. Not to mention seeing it’s return to the large screens instead of handhelds – even to PC later 2018! Frontier was always a wish to play, I’ll be looking forwards to both console and PC communities. Thank you Yuya Tokuda, you and your team’s work are closely followed.

My wish has finally come true: a Monster Hunter game on the PlayStation with amazing visuals. I started out with Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii and absolutely loved it. I also played Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the 3DS and it continued to remind me of my love for this franchise. And now with this latest entry, I’ll get to play on the big screen yet again!

5.1

Monster Hunter first came out on PS2.

I love this game, and I really hope it takes Europe and America down, it’s the best game you can play with a friend.

About the demo, this is where you guys failed, I hate PLUS and I will never pay to play online, so I guess I’m out of the demo, I will buy the game but you guys should have made demo PLUS free, I know many people who don’t use PLUS and all these people are missing out a great game.

Carnivius_Prime 08 December, 2017 @ 06:48
6.1

They’re missing out on a lot more than that. I save more far money on my game purchases having a Plus subscription than without thanks to freebies and discounts.

MiseryPrincess 08 December, 2017 @ 07:51
6.2

You probably need plus because it’s a stress test beta for the multiplayer bit. Maybe later they’ll release a proper demo?

They are testing the online servers so it needs PLUS for online. Also what does “ I really hope it takes Europe and America down” mean? I’m just curious…

Great article, can’t wait for the beta.

YosukeHanamura60 08 December, 2017 @ 00:16

I read somewhere that playing this beta will get benefits for the full game, I would like to know what are them, cuz I am ready to spent more time on the demo, lol.

I hope it is either items gathered and some carving items can be transferred to the full game. You know, to save some early farming xD

8.1

You get a special camo face paint just for playing the beta/demo in the full game. You can get up 3 item packs for completing the hunts (Great Jagras / Barroth / Anjanath ). The item packs are supposed to have potions and traps for the main game so nothing game breaking.

phunkyphenomenon 08 December, 2017 @ 04:47

Are the rewards for every different character (save file) you create in the full game?

never played a monster hunter game but will give this a try! i just hope there isn’t too much micro managment stuff going on, i hate having to spend all day in menus comparing stats, assigning slots, choosing items to drop etc..

Carnivius_Prime 08 December, 2017 @ 06:46
10.1

Same. I want to play not work…

10.2

In earlier games inventory management only gets complicated when using guns on big monsters where you need a pile of fancy ammo. As for armor stats and such it’s really not that complicated or stat heavy, there’s only a few minor things to be aware of (like elements and compatible ammo types).

10.3

the vid i saw made it seem bit heavy on the menu stuff but i guess i’ll see soon enough… already downloaded it but it’s not active yet :\

Carnivius_Prime 08 December, 2017 @ 06:49

Can’t say I ever got into the PSP version. I had it for a while but just wasn’t my thing but that was years ago and maybe I’ll like it now and on my PS4 Pro with big screen. So I may as well check out the beta since it’s free.

Truffles_Avacado 08 December, 2017 @ 07:00

I’m surprised Sword and Shield wasn’t one of the recommended starting weapons. The same mobility as dual swords, an easy to understand combo tree, plus a shield if you get surprised by an attack you don’t think you can dodge. I always recommend SnS when someone tries a Monster Hunter game for the first time.

MiseryPrincess 08 December, 2017 @ 17:03
12.1

Problem with sword and shield is that even though it’s more defensive the cost of that defense is a rather poor damage output. It’s usually ok for starting out but later on the lack of offense drags fights out and puts you in danger for longer. Which kind of makes things harder rather than easier.

Cant seem to download beta. Eastern U.S. player. Do i need to pre-order, or just wait.

13.1

I’m in the UK and can’t even find the beta download anywhere on the store.

MiseryPrincess 08 December, 2017 @ 15:22
13.2

You don’t need to preorder. Though it might be PS plus exclusive?

Where is the pre-download? I keep looking but it’s not on the store and it isn’t on the PSPLUS section either which it really ought to be if PS+ is required to get access to it. If it doesn’t appear soon it will be too late to try it.

14.1

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0102-CUSA09532_00-000000000000DEMO Here

Or look under “demos” (it’s also on the front page right now). The file is under 6gb so it’s not a massive download.

phunkyphenomenon 08 December, 2017 @ 15:31

The beta is currently available for preload in Asia and Europe PSN Stores but not US.

Leviathan32000 08 December, 2017 @ 15:33
15.1

Leviathan32000 08 December, 2017 @ 16:32

Started download now. Have to go to the ps plus icon above your main menu (above library icon, game icons, etc.) then scroll through the main advertisements on there. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow hunters.

Hello Monster Hunter World, goodbye social life.

I’m downloading the demo but I’m not really expecting it to be any good, I’ve disliked every other mh game I’ve tried, just figured I should try it for free so I can have an opinion when nerds start raving about how it’s the best game ever (until the next best game ever comes out a week later)

hi everyone actually I have a question that does the full game of monster hunter world also has timing for the quest?cause I’m new to monster hunter that’s why?

19.1

Yes it also has a time limit for hunting monsters.In the beta its 20min per monster, although in the older games like Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii the Time Limit was higher with up to 50 minutes per Monster. That allowed you to explore a map really well and also hunt Monsters who arent your main Aim for the quest. I hope they change the fact that you got so little time hunting the monsters or at least a open world like feature to hunt the monsters i want.

I played the beta and i want to share my opinion as a casual monster Hunter fan:

First of all i have to confess that my skills pretty much rosted over the years and i expected that i need some time to learn the weapons again, but that wasnt the case. They added a huge variety of weapons from which all of them make really fun (except Lance – damn i hate that weapon) and has their own porpose in the hunt.

3 Weapons have fascinated me the most in this Monster Hunter : 1.Insect Glaive, 2. The Longsword, 3. The Bow

Thanks to the feature that you can ‘ride’ monster like a bull and attack from from their back, the insect glaive has its special function in hunts which make it so much fun. It is the only weapon you can jump with and even fly arround a little bit and try to get on his back, which needs some practise of course.

Show full comment

The fellow monster hunter fans all know the longsword but for the newcomers, its like a katana and is a technical weapon which you have to master to unlock the full damage potencial. They kept the old move set with the combo that raises the color from yours weapon ( from white to orange to red) but added 2 new combos and 1 of them even allows you to jump in the air and make a clear cut through the monster for the cost of 1 ‘color level’ which you gain through dealing out damage.

The bow is really fun. Maybe i am infuencled by the awesome Anime ‘Fate/stay Night : UBW’ i have watched recently but the game play was complety different than i expected. You can litteraly fight a Monster alone with your bow since it has a great mobility and damage output. You will be suprised how cool the different combos look and how many ways there are for hitting your opponent (dont forget the special arrows, like filled with venom)

You got 3 quests you can clear in the beta how it was already annonced. The first was was pretty easy and for the last one i needed a 3rd try with a fellow mate of mine, because you got only 20min time (the problem was that we needed so long for finding this huge t-rex :D)

[ Part 2 coming]

[Part 2]

Show full comment

[Part 2]

It is kinda sad that you only got 20min per quest because it doesnt let you do so much stuff without beeing interrupted by the limit. Its awesome that you can fight Rathalos and Diablo, especially for old fans but the time limit is not really much giving us enough to deal with them and clearing the quest.Besides the above you couldnt see pretty much of the game actually. I for myself really hoped and still hope for a (if not full) at least semi-open World like in Mh3 where you could meet other people in lobbies or just walk arround in the city how you like to. It would disappoint me if you could just go from 1 quest to the next one, that would mean a huge loss of potencial to make it a open world.Overall Monster Hunter World is simply an awesome game but which left me uncertain with the actual end-game possibilities because of the limited features of the Beta.A must-have for all MH-Fans and a great game for newcomers who want to play something different than these casual games and start to really explore a realistic enviroment and have an actuall feeling of achievement after killing a hard Monster because you really need skill to beat them !

MiseryPrincess 10 December, 2017 @ 09:31
21.1

The full game does have a hub area shown in the trailers. Even the first Monster Hunter on the PS2 had an online 8 player hub, so it’s unlikely this one wouldn’t.

I think the time limit was 20 minutes so people would do more matchmaking and put a greater load on that part (which is what they were testing).

There are a few issues right now. Like the light bowgun being a bit junky. Also the ammo counter needs some work, as it shows ammo in magazine and maximum ammo count (which is completely useless information) but not how many bullets of that type you have remaining.

@Misery

There is an ammo count – it’s down there next to the ammo name. Admittedly, it would be handy if it was more prominent. Left side – mag count, right side – total shells.

@Rain

You say added so I’m guessing you missed the last few MH games since the Glaive was added in 4 ^^ So…welcome back!

21.3

For me the right counter never moves and is just the total allowed ammo not the ammo count. When you have 0 bullets left you still have a reminder you could have 99, which is a bit silly!! (this seems to be a glitch, sometimes it works and it goes down in count sometimes it just doesn’t…)

So as a Hunter since MHFU, I am hype as hell

Everyone has a style, and mine is stat gunning, though I’m not averse to the other weapons [I can honestly say I’m only totally crap with only a few weapons] so here’s a few notes to other gunners, or at least to those using an LBG that may come in handy. Below this is a bit about items and armour skills. And remember – this is just the demo. Retail may end up changing again

Ammo counter – there’s two counters, one by your reticle and the number to the left of your ammo type

Loaded ammo – they’ve taken a page out of the newer MH games and all ammo types are straight up loaded into your gun from the start. No Arts though [at least in the demo], so you better get used to loading your shots one by one again :P

Remaining ammo – that’s the number on the right of you loaded ammo type

Movement – they’ve changed it so you ADS like regular 3rd person shooters so it’s now much easier for people to aim

Ammo symbols – this is just what I’ve observed ...

Show full comment

So as a Hunter since MHFU, I am hype as hell

Remaining ammo – that’s the number on the right of you loaded ammo type

Ammo symbols – this is just what I’ve observed so…don’t take my word as fact.

–Double ^ symbols mark a rapid fire shot type, resulting in multiple shots fired per shell. From what I can see in training, the first shot deals 100% and the follow ups deal about 50%

–Blue down arrow [I think]. Again, just observation, but it seems like these shots have less recoil. I tested this with Sleep S and Sleep S2 and you can feel the difference

–Elemental shots. These seem to have brought over from MHX. They have been upgraded and are now Elemental Piercing shots.

–Friendly shots. By these I mean Armour, Demon and Recovery shots. These no longer hit enemies and pass right through them. I’m not exactly up for testing this in combat, but I don’t think recovery shots heal enemies anymore either. They’ve also been changed to actual shots so you can’t just fire them randomly towards your friendlies.

–Reloading. Do it on the move so you don’t get locked into a static reload pose.

Part 2

Since I’m here, I can cover some items too.

Knives – are now loaded into your slinger, so load them beforehand! *Includes your bugnet too xD

Slinger – though some items do load into the slinger, they do not drop rocks and slinger ammo already loaded, but temporarily overwriting them until unequipped. And now its ammo…you can carry one type and you will drop the current load if you pick up something else. Luckily it just falls onto the floor

Powders – lifepowder isn’t the only powder now: demon and armour [hardshell] join the fun

Rod – you can equip it whenever and cast your line as you like

Usage in general – items seem to be much faster, even without the relevant skill. You don’t waste items either! Your hunter looks at it and puts it back

Each skill point now gives you a bonus instead of unlocking once you hit certain tiers

I’m done. Happy hunting!

Hope they have longer timers in the base game 20 mins is way to short for an explorer like myself. Im new to the series and so far im loving this beta deff buying this game.

Quick question: is this game an open world or is it similar to Evolve where you hunt the monster on a limited, yet decently sized, map? It looks like an awesome game but I am just curious.

25.1

Open world wouldn’t work so well in this setting as it’s mission based (think of games like Nioh). It’s similar to the other Monster Hunter games where you start in a central hub area, accept missions and then go to various “zones” and fight the monsters or do whatever the quest is.

You can normally pick gathering quests and wander around the maps aimlessly like an open world game if you like though.

I tried playing it since Friday,

Kept getting “Unable to play outside ot beta time”…

Tried whole weekend… still did not work :(

Edit history