You’ve three days to save the world in PS4 fantasy adventure The Swords of Ditto, out next month

...and if you fail, another adventurer must take up your quest 100 years later

The time has come for a new hero to wield the legendary sword and clash with Mormo as The Swords of Ditto arrives on 24th April! The team here at onebitbeyond is thrilled to finally announce the release date of our first game as a studio together and couldn’t be more excited to bring it to the PlayStation 4 community first.

Some of you might have heard of our new project already, or even played it at PlayStation Experience late last year, but we wanted to take some time to dive into the gameplay loop and what make The Swords of Ditto unlike any other adventure you’ve played before.

The Swords of Ditto is a ‘micro adventure’ which means each individual adventure will be a small, focused experience that has players experience a new version of the world with each run.

The land of Ditto has been under siege by the evil Mormo as far as anyone can remember, thriving and crumbling depending on the hero of each era’s success against the forces of darkness. Take down Mormo and the world is a happier, brighter place but failure puts Ditto and its poor citizens into a dark, crumbling version of their world.

An adventure begins with a new, randomly designed hero awakening to Mormo’s return and tasked with picking up the legendary sword and tackling a series of challenges to take her down before the three days of dark invasion come to a cataclysmic end.

Players can put on a brave face and try to take down the dark queen right away or, most often, will explore the world to gather weapons and items, level up the sword itself, and destroy Mormo’s anchors to weaken her in an effort to topple a hobbled final boss.

Discover stickers to perk up your hero and weapons, gather powerful toys to complete your arsenal, and complete side quests to fill your inventory with a variety of useful tools and items.

One of the most compelling features of The Swords of Ditto is that death is not an end but rather a segue to a new chapter and adventure in the sword’s epic story.

Once a hero falls a new one will rise 100 years later and wield the same sword as their predecessors, meaning that all the experience and power of the sword from previous runs remain for future adventures.

Players will even have a chance to uncover and unlock secret methods to carry over some toys and items, extend the time before facing Mormo, and even resurrect a fallen hero in hopes of a second chance at glory!

The Swords of Ditto is full of many more layers of systems and secrets that will unfold with each new micro adventure, something we hope that players will discover and use to their advantage with every successive run through the world. We can’t wait to share our game with you all and are very thankful for all the love and support from the PlayStation community so far!

What did you think about this story?
3 Author replies

Its an extremely well thought idea! I just hope the gameplay will be just as fun. Will put it on my “must buy”-list for sure.

Jonathan Biddle 05 March, 2018 @ 17:07

Thanks, man. We all appreciate your support! :)

Looks gorgeous and a great game for me and the fiance to play, will definitely get this :D

jamestillett 05 March, 2018 @ 17:27

Hmmm more to the point where is this week,s store,s update

One day I may accept that “literally” now means “figuratively” but when did “more to the point” mean “this is off topic but…” ?

The art style caught my eye, the description sounded great and then I noticed the developers and thought “Yep!” I don’t buy games often anymore but I’m sure this will be worth it.

Jonathan Biddle 05 March, 2018 @ 17:42

Aw, shucks, thanks so much. Stealth Inc fan? Hydroventure/Fluidity? Many of us worked on those things.

As so many times before this, I watch and think, dangit this would be fun to play on the Vita. But I guess the Ps4 will due :)

This looks absolutely adorable!

Are there any plans to bring this to the Vita? I keep seeing games like this which I would LOVE to play on the go (like Crossing Souls for another example – anther Devolver Digital game) and am always bummed to find they are only on PS4 not the Vita. This game would suit the Vita to a tee.

Jonathan Biddle 05 March, 2018 @ 21:53

As much as I love the Vita (I have two), Ditto is just too technically demanding for it. I know it looks like a simple graphical style that wouldn’t take much power to run, but there’s more going on than it appears. We are especially memory intensive, and squeezing down into Vita’s 500MB is an impossibility!

Controversial to ask on the PlayStation Blog perhaps but… Switch? :D

This looks amazing and I’ll give it a go on my PS4 but this looks like a game I’d love to take with me on the bus.

I guess we just have to hope Sony are working on a vita 2.0! Either way I’ll be picking this up on PS4, I just wanted to vent about my poor neglected Vita :P

jamie-sixtyfour 06 March, 2018 @ 18:15 Edited

Ah so bittersweet! I’m really glad this is coming out because this month is looking pretty full with new titles I want to play but also really wanting to play this now!

This titles looks amazing! I have to ask, surely if a new hero rises ever 100 years, the world would get more and more technologically advanced? Or is there a “reset” event, because of say a cataclysmic event which eradicates all previous generations technological advances?

Trying to fix how the 100 year gap thing comes into the world generation.

EDIT: Also the 100 year gap feels like a nod to Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker which takes place 100 years after the ending in which Link was an adult in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

wiccansprite 08 March, 2018 @ 14:41

I cannot wait for this game to come out. Been watching since Playstation Access showed it on their YouTube channel. Looks amazing and in desperate need of a good couch co-op experience. Would pre-order right now if I could :)

Edit history