Sega Mega Drive Classics, featuring over 50 iconic games, hits PS4 on 29th May

Get a look at the full list of titles, plus details on the all-new emulation features

Hi everyone, my name’s Ibrahim Bhatti and I’m Community Manager at Sega Europe. Today we’ve got a real treat for retro Sega fans as we’ve just announced that Sega Mega Drive Classics is coming to PS4 on May 29th!

The collection has over 50 classic games from the Mega Drive era for you to enjoy across pretty much every genre. RPG fan? We’ve got you covered with Shining Force and Phantasy Star titles. If Shooters are more your thing, then how about Space Harrier? Or if side-scrolling face punching is more your bag then all three Streets of Rage titles are included in the set!

Here’s a full list of the games featured in the collection.

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

One of the elements we’re most excited about with this announcement though, are the updates to the emulation feature set.

Online or offline multiplayer and enhancement filters

You’ll be able to play the multiplayer titles like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, either on the couch with a friend, or online with anyone in the world. We’ve included graphic enhancement filters to make sure the old games still look great on your spangly, new-aged televisions along with an interactive 3D room UI, which means it’s super-easy to navigate your way to games in the collection from the virtual comfort of a 90s themed gamer’s bedroom!

We’ll have a big ol’ list of Trophies for you to earn while playing, with some seriously challenging ones for players pushing for Platinum.

Horizontal flip mode

One of those will relate to the all-new mirror modes we’re including, meaning you’ll be able to play all the titles with the screen flipped horizontally for an additional challenge. You’ll probably need to make use of the save states to complete all these, as they allow to record your progress anywhere.

There are so many awesome games in this collection but my personal favourite is Streets of Rage II. I remember as a kid, blowing on the cartridge to get it working and then getting stuck into the frenetic boss fights while listening to that, now iconic, soundtrack. We had a lot of fun making GIFs for this one, as you saw above! I’d love to hear about what your favourite Mega Drive games were or which ones you’re most looking forward to playing again on your PS4, in the comments section below.

That’s all from me, but I’ll be back soon with more news about Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Classics for PS4. In the meantime, check out the website for more details: or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

What did you think about this story?
0 Author replies

…Wait, no Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Yeah still got that stupidness with the music rights for the third game despite MJ not actually being the composer on Sonic 3 clearly expressing how dissatisfied he was with the sound quality of the Audio chip (Mega Drive) at the time. Still I don’t know why this would affect S&K seeing as Howard Drossin did the entire soundtrack.

I do agree with a few others that a Dreamcast or even Saturn Collection would be more welcome. And by the former I don’t just mean being lazy and taking the last gen PSN/XBLA ports and reshuffling it in a quick cash grab!

Trouble IS when Sega did a dreamcast collection for the Xbox 360 all it boiled to three dreamcast games being ported crazy taxi Sega Bass fishing & Space channel 5 7 that was considered a collection hardly what i would call inspiring but yes a dreamcast collection would be welcomed but Sega make it with more than three games this time round

Will this be the 50Hz versions or 60Hz?

Pretty sure it will be 60Hz. Seems to be a console port of the already available Mega Drive Collection on Steam which run at 60Hz.

Whoa! Sega Europe finally has a community manager!?

Kid Chameleon, Sonic Spinball and BOTH Toejam and Earl games?!?!?!

Yay!!!!! 😄👍😄

Carnivius_Prime 14 March, 2018 @ 16:37 Edited

Will likely buy even just because have been missing playing Streets of Rage 2 online with a friend since we moved on from PS3. Online play is a big yes for these. Without it I probably wouldn’t consider buying these again. Also nice to see Golden Axe II as that’s my friend’s fave (she loves the GA series with the second game being what she considers best) as we were just stuck with Golden Axe on PS3 (and think that was just the arcade one rather than Mega drive) as that was a seperate download whereas the disc based Sega collection didn’t do online from what I recall.

(i’m guessing they just add Altered Beast to these things purely for the nostalgia alone cos it was never, ever a good game… it came with my Mega Drive as the bundled game and I barely touched the machine til I could afford a fun game).

Love Beyond Oasis by the way.

It seems churlish to moan about a games list when it’s that big, BUT:

The is just same set of games being sold in yet another collection, this time without Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles (and the latter’s lock-on with Sonic 2 & 3). That’s a bit poor considering those games have been available on compilations dating back to the Sega Saturn. Also, I know this is an MD collection but I never get why they don’t include a handful of decent Mega CD / 32X games too like Sonic CD (or heaven forbid make a Saturn compilation).

And: no Crusader of Centy / Soleil. Boo.

No Vita version? It’s rediculous.

MiseryPrincess 14 March, 2018 @ 22:44

You could just get the original release of this and play it on the Vita?

No Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles = No buy.

Captain_Dusk 14 March, 2018 @ 16:59

Sega need to pull their finger out and sort out the copyright issue over the music in S3 and S&K so they can sell their own games again.

A collection without them is like skipping Super Mario World in a best of SNES collection :/

They’ve been quite happily selling Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam since 2011, so I doubt it’s a rights issue.

Never gonna happen, but I’d love for SEGA to team up with some 3rd parties and release the likes of Road Rash, Desert Strike, Micro Machines etc from the Mega Drive era.

Also, these compilations rarely include racing games… Super Hang-On, Turbo Outrun, Super Monaco GP. Maybe they just don’t age well.

Onlytripleseven 14 March, 2018 @ 21:32

Super Monaco GP plays just like the arcade, but looks like [DELETED] on the MegaDrive

We_Are-The_Dogs 15 March, 2018 @ 08:30

I’d like all of them plus world of illusion, lost vikings and skitchin

Price? And any chance of any others being added in an expansion? Pugsy would seal the deal for me…

sithknight666 14 March, 2018 @ 18:12

Day 1 purchase! Brilliant news. Would rather each of the games we stand alone and with a platinum trophy but this is better than nothing. My 1st plat was Sega Megadrive collection and I even did it again with genesis import. Maybe this will be my 200th plat. Awesome, can’t wait.

Wow no Sonic 3 & Knuckles no sale. Man i was so hyped until I noticed that massive title not being on the list.

Add toki and I’d pay £50

OnionKnight11 14 March, 2018 @ 18:27

Will this be a physical release or digital only?

Well at least one UK retailer has a physical version up for preorder so I’d say it’s both.

Both so don’t need worry about .

OnionKnight11 15 March, 2018 @ 12:34

Thanks for the info.

I will buy this for only the original Streets of Rage, heh.

It would have been nice if some Master System games had been included too, like the original Phantasy Star and the first Wonder Boy games just to mention a few.

I wish Sega would release a collection with Knuckles Chaotix and Segasonic the Hedgehog on it as I’ve never played them.

Onlytripleseven 14 March, 2018 @ 21:34

-Knuckles Chaotix: Just get a mega drive emulator like Kega Fusion.

-Segasonic the Hedgehog: Just play it on MAME

It would be pointless porting Segasonic the Hedgehog to consoles because it requires a trackball to play it.

The lack of a Sonic 3 & Knuckles here is absolutely “mental” (that’s how you say it in England , right ?”.

Just fix it.

Fix it.

You’ve got time.

Fix it.

sithknight666 14 March, 2018 @ 18:55

Hopefully this will sell well enough for Sega to be able to release another collection,but with some other games on that hasnt already been released for the ps3, and from other consoles like mega cd or 32x. I’d be happy if they released them all individually instead of a collection. A bit like they did with the Sega vintage collection, but with a platinum trophy.

We_Are-The_Dogs 15 March, 2018 @ 08:31

Actually DLC which added a virtual Master System converter for the Mega Drive and about 10 SMS games is the one paid DLC I would definitely buy, unless of course the game features unlockable games instead like previous collections.

Yes bruv! :D Hope these are the 60hz versions like stated above! Please add options for scanlines to go with that glorious 240p rez!

This is a great collection… except you’re missing:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Ecco the Dolphin

Ecco The Tides of Time

The Master System and arcade versions of games included in the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection.

This would’ve been the DEFINITIVE collection if you would’ve included these. Just the fact that Sonic 3 is missing alone is a red flag. I will pick this up but this is a HUGE missed opportunity. I hope these games get patched into the collection in the future.

CitizenEldar 14 March, 2018 @ 20:07

Oh man! Shinobi III alone gets me excited about this collection.

V rally 4 know this sega collection for PS4 I will be getting this on disc for PS4 . I got PS3 collection of sega collection but I keep PS3 one and still get PS4 extra games in collection but shame rest same but that’s ok and got online support 😀👍

It’s shame sonic and knuckles not in collection oh was was bit mad but that’s why keeping old collection as well buying this . Anyway sega fix it .

Bio Hazard Battle, awesome side scrolling shooter from when I was a kid, used to play co-op with my dad, had a great soundtrack to it as well

jamestillett 15 March, 2018 @ 19:29

that does seem to be one of the better titles

Onlytripleseven 14 March, 2018 @ 21:35 Edited

If this is any more than £10, it’s over priced.

Also no details over the actual emulation quality. I’d be tempted if you say you have 100% emulated the Mega Drive Model 1 audio chip and this emulation package recreates that. Hardcore fans like myself are not going to part with money on the same Mega Drive hits collection AGAIN is it’s the same standard Kega/Gens quality. I don’t want Emulation packages sounding like the Model 2 Mega Drive.

Flicky!!! I’m in .

Won’t pay no more than 10 quid seeing as I bought this on the ps3 really not the greatest of news how about make ps4 backwards compatible then some of won’t have to buy the same game twice 😑😑😑

The fact that Sonic 3/ Sonic & Knuckles/ Sonic 3 & Knuckles isn’t on this is gonna drive people nuts. This isn’t progress, this is regress. Thank God there’s Android, since it can run on MD.emu!

Would have loved to see ‘Flashback’ on this list. And Sonic 3 like everyone else has mentioned…

No Echo the dolphin ?

No Monter World IV? No Ecco? No Sonic 3? Why?

We_Are-The_Dogs 15 March, 2018 @ 08:35

sega saturn collection next please. Needs to include nights, panzer dragoon zwei, die hard arcade, athlete kings, shining holy ark, shining force 3, sonic r, gun griffon, cyber speedway and virtua on. TA!

That would be great. Beyond Oasis in this collection is pretty great, and the sequel The Legend of Oasis was released for the Saturn. I would love to be able to play The Legend of Oasis, and the 3 Panzer Dragoon games.

Such-A-Goonie 15 March, 2018 @ 08:57

*excited screeching*

turbogeek421 15 March, 2018 @ 09:53

Given the fact that I’ve just this morning finished the audiobook of “Ready Player One”, this retro/nostalgia trip is really appealing right now!

Landstalker!!!! One of the best games i’ve ever played

Chaos Engine and Speedball 2 would have been nice

DXGrimoireXD 15 March, 2018 @ 10:57

Sega, this looks awesome, how about a panzer dragoon 1/2//saga pack or maybe a new panzer dragoon title.

That game was epic

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 15 March, 2018 @ 11:05

Looks like the same list from previous collections, so while I understand this makes the titles accessible on PS4, it doesn’t really offer anything new to me. I am also disappointed by SEGA’s lack of interest in porting the Christian Whitehead versions of Sonic 1 & 2 to the console and PC space, rather than just leaving it on mobile platforms with uncomfortable touch controls.

jamestillett 15 March, 2018 @ 19:27

Mmmmm looks terrible similar to the PS3 version re-mastered should have add Out-run Turbo Out-run Hang on & Afterburner 2

Hi  Ibrahim Bhatti  any that you could Lobby Sega Europe to bring Border Break (Sega Am2) to the west that,s been released by Sega japan have not seen any of there modern stuff for a long time many thanks

I know it’s not a Sega made game but I think they need to re-release McDonald’s Treasure Land Adventure. I loved the game as a kid. It’s legendary

ghostbusterboy19 18 March, 2018 @ 13:33

ghostbusterboy19 18 March, 2018 @ 13:41

This better be available on digital or i will a temper tantrum the world has never seen the likes of i hate buying psyical copy sorry the bad spelling the game is always bloody never there

ghostbusterboy19 18 March, 2018 @ 13:49

Theres 2 games im really looking forward to well 3 sega mega drive classics street fighter 30th anniversary collection cause street fighter 2 is my homie and spyro the dragon if activision ever move there asscheeks and announce it

That’s pretty pants, personally I’m only interested in the Sonic games, could they not release a Sonic pack with 1,2,3, Knuckles, Spinball and 3D Blast? They dropped lock on functionality in the PS3 version whick was lazy.

Judging by the lack of Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles I doubt a Sonic pack is workable anytime soon.

pulstar2016286 21 March, 2018 @ 17:04

Why no sonic 3? Dont use that music rights crap as an excuse because 360 xbl has sonic 3 & sonic & knuckles. Is sonic 3 a secret xbl exclusive or something?

Story of Thor 1 & 2 would be great.

Edit history