Posted

Creator of classic Psygnosis racer Rollcage returns with PS4 vehicular combat game GRIP

Find out how the new racer was inspired and shaped by the vintage 1999 release

We’ve been hard at work on a new combat racing game that we think will reignite the love for the genre. It’s fast, it’s intense, it’s chaotic and its name is GRIP. Those of you who know the source of its inspiration will see immediately, and those who don’t – well, we think you’ll still be very excited for what’s to come.

In the beginning…

Rollcage, Rollcage and RC: Stage 2 were games that took hold of your senses, flipped them upside down and smashed them through a brick wall. A racing game so intense, it changed the way I felt about regular racing games. Combat Racing was practically the only video game driving experience for me once Rollcage crashed onto my screen.

Rollcage broke new ground having wheel-based vehicles not only doing ludicrous speeds, but doing it while driving on walls, ceilings and both sides of the car – all while shooting each other. There truly was nothing like it. Even the graphics in many respects were ahead of its time, especially the effects.

GRIP

What a game. What a crazy game and sequel. They are such great games that nostalgia inspired me to search for any news at all of an additional sequel in late 2014, which incidentally had me stumble upon Robert Baker’s blog.

Robert was a programmer on Rollcage and Stage 2, and was keeping very active in an online Rollcage community. It was clear that Rollcage still remained in Rob’s mind, and perhaps he’d be willing to work on something new, inspired by our favourite games. Turns out, he did.

Caged Element was formed and we started work on GRIP – a combat racer for the new generation. We’ve had a wealth of talent join us over the years – all of them being fans of our inspiration, and most of them having previous racing game experience.

The latter comes in handy for sure, but when the cars in your game can drive on any surface and on either side, the challenge of creating interesting and balanced tracks is amplified. Thankfully, we’re confident that when the game launches, players will appreciate the wealth of track designs we’ve come up with. And there’s more to come after launch – all of them being free.

When you see GRIP, it’s quite obvious where it’s inspiration came from, but it’s also got its own distinct character; being more weighted, gritty and rugged.

The cars are like really fast tanks – some larger, some smaller, but all beasts. Their unique design and abilities presented an almost insurmountable challenge in terms of physics programming, with a large chunk of our development being attributed to just that. Rob has handled essentially the entire physics load himself, and he hit new levels of coding wizardry to tame these beasts.

When you’re striving for realistic physics with a wheeled vehicle that can hit Mach 1 speeds, you’re bound to run into some hurdles. But you’d be hard-pressed to find another game that has these kinds of speeds on wheels using realistic physics.

GRIP

Speaking of wheels, the ones on GRIP’s cars are quite large. Seven or eight feet tall we reckon. The bodies in between those wheels range from military styled rigs, to sleek, high tech rides, to scrappy, pieced-together machines that growl at the competition. All of these cars can be customised with paint jobs, decals and parts. We want players to feel attached to their cars when they play.

Players can drive these on a variety of planets in a wealth of game modes, but we’ll get into that stuff and more, during the rest of our drive up the road to launch later this year. We hope you’ll take that road trip with us as we love to interact with the community we’ve built so far and want to grow it further into a big hub of bad-ass combat racers.

We are very excited to watch GRIP take off on PS4, as well as harness all the power the PS4 Pro has to offer. Get ready for one heck of a ride, cause combat racing is back.

24 Comments
2 Author replies

I was very interested in this first time this came round on Kickstarter (put money down too!), and in that Kickstarter a big part of the promotion was the soundtrack. It’s odd in this article that it’s not touched upon at all.

Do you still aim to use the same artists listed in the Kickstarter?

Chris Mallinson 20 March, 2018 @ 16:53
1.1

Hi Mishimotsu,

We’re still in the process of locking down the final soundtrack so look forward to revealing this closer to launch – hopefully you can see from the trailer that we’ve kept the drum and bass vibe but there’s much more to come here too.

In terms of art for the game there’s still plenty being worked on, we’re using a wide range of artists with different specialities and ultimately focusing on what’s right for the game at different phases.

We’ll try and share more in the run up to launch.

1.2

Agreed, hopefully you can get Tech Itch and Dom & Roland as originally planned. I know Tech Itch has a lot of variant work over his label at the moment that’d be good (the new resist:one, two three albums).

On that note I work with a techstep label who have a large back catalogue of appropriate tunes (in my opinion) and some seriously fierce forthcoming tunes this year, I can’t see why they wouldn’t be up for collaborating on an opportunity like this.

I know this probably isn’t the best place for these kind of conversations but if you don’t ask, you don’t get.

Please let me know if this interests you, or if there is a better place for these conversations.

I can’t say I’ve heard of any of these games before, but it definitely looks like fun! I get kind of a Motorstorm-esque feel from it, but still quite different. It’s hard to put my finger on it. Maybe it’s the combat part. :P I’ll keep an eye out for this one.

Carnivius_Prime 20 March, 2018 @ 15:43

Loved Rollcage 1 and 2 on my PS1 so this is long overdue and muchly looked forward to. :)

Loved roll cage on the original playstation look forward to giving grip a try when released on PS4

FreakyDreams 20 March, 2018 @ 16:06

Will it have split screen? Then I’m sold!!

Chris Mallinson 20 March, 2018 @ 16:37
5.1

Hi FreakyDreams, splitscreen is planned – minimum 2 players, we’ll confirm more closer to launch!

FreakyDreams 21 March, 2018 @ 10:17
5.2

That is great to hear!!! Sold.

This game came on PC in 2016 btw. I will buy Grip sometime.

Ex Psygnosis developers. So is the developer of Formula Fusion also only on PC. I actually bought that sometime in early access.

Played them all. A welcome return. Hopefully has some of the original power-ups! Would have been great on the vita but I’m guessing you’re trying to appeal to the bigger audience. Still, day 1 purchase.

Platinum trophy?

I never played Rollcage, but I did however play Firebugs on PS1, very similar to this.

Will it have PSVR support? Would be amazing to take it to an even bigger level.

MiseryPrincess 21 March, 2018 @ 01:26
9.1

A game where you drive really fast, flipping over and over and over doesn’t really sound ideal for a VR experience.

Unless you just want to throw up a bunch. Then again there’s easier ways to get the same end result.

Finka_Karfein 21 March, 2018 @ 09:59
9.2

Actually when you grow the so-called “VR legs” nothing can get you even close to throwing up (hectic RIGS combat, drifting in DriveClub VR, sudden evasive turns in EVE: Valkyrie for several hours in one sitting will be OK after getting accustomed to virtual reality), that’s why I’m more than eager to play WipEout Omega Collection after the VR update goes live.

And GRIP in VR would be something that could bring me to purchase this game earlier than during discounts.

9.3

I’m naturally adept at extreme motion.

Y’all just weak XD.

QuietlyWrong 20 March, 2018 @ 20:16

Rollcage and Stage 2 were among my favourite PS1 games. Many hours of rip-roaring racing and delicious split-screen chaos! I would have bought this on PC already were I not waiting for the PS4 release and am praying it comes close to my expectations.

I have particular memories of one long Saturday afternoon playing Rubble Soccer (Rollcage: Stage 2 minigame) against my brother and having the tightest, most frenetic experience with us perfectly matched to the extent that we probably had the same score after 70 goals! (There was no end to that game.) I wonder if Psyonix played that game?

It’s good splitscreen is planned. So many racers just ignore that basic feature!!

StevenJamesHyde 21 March, 2018 @ 08:37

This looks great, so glad that this and OnRush a re attempting to fill the gap in the market left by Motorstorm, Split/Second etc.

Carnivius_Prime 21 March, 2018 @ 09:17
12.1

Yeah I’ve been badly feeling the lack of Motorstorm on PS4. One of my fave ever racing series :/

Man I remember Split/Second Velocity. “Disney + Racing game? That must be a joke!” Turns out the game was a blast to play and I’d gladly see more of its kind return.

Edit: didn’t the game end on a cliffhanger anyway? Sequel when?

StevenJamesHyde 21 March, 2018 @ 13:09
12.3

@Lathiel it sold very poorly, don’t think we’ll be seeing a Split/Third sadly. Though it was on Games with Gold recently so hopefully has a new legion of fans

Kinky_Friedman 21 March, 2018 @ 10:00

‘And there’s more to come after launch – all of them being free.’

That’s a quick way to earn my respect :).

I wonder if there’s any chance of PS VR support?

Now this is something to be excited about! Rollcage was one of those events that no one really did ever before or ever since, the discs still sit on display on my shelf. Such fond memories:

Trying to beat your earlier lap times on some of the most insane tracks made back then, who could forget the loop-de-loop overdose on that space station in Rollcage 2.

Make the massive jump just a little bit longer on the volcano track on Rollcage 1. I’ve even managed to overshoot it and go sky high, that car was stuck in the air for half a minute!

Powerdrift and missile your way through all the buildings (and there was aplenty) for massive carnage on the coastline track.

The amount of times I was neck and neck to the finish line in split screen with my then roommate, both having just one last shot with the teleport-in-front device, all boiling down to who was able to fire it off in the latest fraction of a second possible, and steal the win pixels before the the finish line.

High hopes for this ...

Show full comment

High hopes for this one, if you pull it off it will be the most exhilarating racer to have hit PS4. Wish you guys all the luck you can get!

Best news I’ve heard all year.  Any ideas on a launch date?

Rollcage was genuinely one of my favorite games from the PS1, really looking forward to this!

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history