Posted

Marvel’s Spider-Man releases on 7th September, Collector’s Edition revealed and more

Get your first look at the different editions that’ll be available when the web-slinger arrives later this year

You all have been waiting for it for a long time – we’ve got e-mails, phone calls, tweets, Instagram posts, and impassioned pleases. You want to know when Marvel’s Spider-Man will finally be in your hands.

Everyone here at Insomniac Games is thrilled to announce that Marvel’s Spider-Man will launch on Friday, 7th September 2018 exclusively on PlayStation 4 consoles.

It’s been an incredible experience for us to spend the last few years working on this game. From getting to create our own unique universe and story for our favourite Super Hero, to working with our talented collaborators at PlayStation and Marvel Games, to developing relationships with the Spider-Man and Marvel fan communities (#SpideySquad represent!), it’s been an amazing journey thus far.

TITLE

Along with the release date, we get to show you the final box art for Marvel’s Spider-Man! Insomniac has a history of excellent game covers, from Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time to the bold Olly Moss Resistance 3 cover. We went with a pure red background and a striking image of the web-slinger. Take a look.

TITLE

Our more experienced Spidey in his brand new Advanced Suit can be seen confidently web-swinging against a bold red backdrop. To juxtapose the unique look of our Spider-Man, his pose takes inspiration from over 50 years of fan-favourite Spider-Man comic book art and artistry. Astute fans of the wall-crawler will see nods to the work of J. Scott Campbell, Mark Bagley, John Romita Sr., John Romita Jr., Joe Quesada and (of course) Steve Ditko, as well as many other iconic Spider-Man artists.

TITLE

You’ll see this cover adorning the standard edition of Marvel’s Spider-Man when it is available at retail and digitally. While many of you have been asking us to show the cover for the game, many more have wondered: will there be digital deluxe and collector’s editions of the game? You betcha, true believers – we’ve got both.

The Digital Deluxe edition of the game will include a copy of the game as well as new story chapters with our post-launch DLC series – The City That Never Sleeps. That’s right, we’ll be supporting the game post-launch and you’ll be getting three new chapters each with new missions, new villains and characters, and additional suits for Spider-Man. More details on that a bit later down the road.

TITLE

Of course, for those collectors out there who want an incredible Spider-Man collectible alongside Marvel’s Spider-Man, we have just the edition for you. The Collector’s Edition includes all of the digital content from the digital deluxe edition, as well as a Steelbook case featuring the iconic white spider, Mini Artbook from Titan Books, and an awesome Marvel’s Spider-Man statue by Gentle Giant.

Pay extra special attention to the statue though and you’ll notice something is obviously missing. We haven’t revealed the entire statue for the Collector’s Edition, just Spider-Man perched on top of something. What could that be? It’s too spoilery to show you now, but stay tuned!

TITLE

That said – no matter where you buy it, or which edition you get, you have a chance to grab these pre-order items.

Whether it’s a Spidey-Suit Pack featuring Spider-Punk, as well as a couple suits we will reveal this summer, the Spider-Drone gadget, a PSN Avatar, an original PS4 theme designed by renowned comic book artist Adi Granov, or just some extra skill points to unlock faster web-swinging sooner – our pre-order bonus is the total package. Check out this video of Spider-Punk and its suit ability in action below.

That’s a lot of info – but I realise some of you have been dying to get your hands on new information about the game itself as we haven’t said much since Paris Games Week and PSX last year.

That’s all for now – we can’t wait for you to get your hands on the game on 7th September 2018 exclusively on PlayStation 4 consoles. In the meantime, get your pre-orders in for Marvel’s Spider-Man on PlayStation Store, or a friendly retailer online or near you. And for all the latest from Insomniac Games, be sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook!

What did you think about this story?
82 Comments
13 Author replies

Any pre-order page, like in US store?

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 16:48
1.1

Should be coming soon

There better be a Standard digital edition available this time Sony! Both God of War and Detroit Become Human don’t have a normally priced Standard edition available for digital buyers on the EU store, only the “Deluxe” edition at an additional price.

Also, I know its’s a Spider-Man game and all, but I’d like if the open world had some real depth to it and allowed us to drive vehicles, enter random buildings like malls, shops, bus and subways stations, play arcade games at certain locations, go on amusement park rides etc. It might seem trivial considering you have super powers, but I felt the same about the inFamous games. They had a very shallow almost 2D feeling environment when you can’t really interact with anything

2.1

That makes no sense, you are freaking spider-man! Go play gta5 if you want that, everyone else will be busy saving the city.

2.2

So less things to do in an open world sandbox makes the game better and totally not feel shallow and lacking depth?… Hmmm, okay

Will there be an edition with just the steelbook and online extras?

StevenJamesHyde 04 April, 2018 @ 16:41
3.1

That’s what I’m hoping for too… amazon.de is usually a good source for that kind of edition

StevenJamesHyde 04 April, 2018 @ 19:24
3.2

Here it is… hopefully coming to the rest of the EU also

Figers crossed for the same edition in France !

Show more replies

Better have a standard digital edition. God of War and Detroit Become Human still only offer the more expensive Digital Deluxe editions on the EU Store… Not paying that price for a few skins and a wallpaper!

4.1

You can see the available digital versions on PS Store now: https://store.playstation.com/?resolve=STORE-MSF75508-MSPIDERMANPRE

I will be pre-ordering this but it will have to wait until I am done with Dragon Quest XI. Tomb Raider is out on the 14th too. :/

The collector edition is nice I will buy it, and it’s cool to see Spider Punk, I hope guys you will include some other characters from the Spider Verse, can we expect the Superior Spiderman ? Would love it.

One thing I don’t like: the cover, it’s so generic and not really interesting, terrible and boring art design, you can do better than this, seriously redo it, make it better, maybe add a bad guy on the cover fighting Spiderman.

X_Blood_Curse_X 04 April, 2018 @ 16:38

Sounds like a “wait for the complete edition” edition.

Carnivius_Prime 04 April, 2018 @ 16:51 Edited

——- ignore.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Can’t wait. I will be preordering that CE as soon as it shows up at my preferred retailer. ^_^

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 17:18
9.1

Should be soon, keep an eye out! Really excited about the Gentle Giant statue in that edition

9.2

Thanks. Also can’t wait to try out the latest version of your, always stellar, game engine that you all put so much work into.^_^

Carnivius_Prime 04 April, 2018 @ 17:06

Weird. My comment vanished.

Was just saying I’ll pass on physical cos I only buy digital these days and that this is my most wanted game cos I miss web-swinging in Spidey-games and Insomniac are usually great with gameplay and fun story stuff. :)

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 17:19
10.1

We knew we had to nail the web swinging, I think it’s amazingly fun to just swing around and do open-world stuff — I hope you will too!

I’ll don’t need all this junk, just give me a Digital Standard Edition.

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 17:19
11.1

That is an option as well! Thanks for picking it up! We do really appreciate it!

Will there be a special ps4 Pro edition?

I’m looking forward to this game but as always I hate the pre-order dlc gifts.

Regarding the collectors edition, the statue looks ok but a mini artbook where CD Project gave a full artbook with their collectors edition. And what about the dlc in there? Is it the season pass or just a part of stuff that is taken from the game to sell it later on.

Due to all the above I wait for the complete edition, sorry guys.

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 17:51
13.1

We’ve tried to do it in as fair a way as possible. All of the pre-order stuff can be unlocked in the game

The City That Never Sleeps is a Season Pass of sorts, covering those 3 Chapters we will release post launch. It wasn’t items taken from the game, it was developed independently of the main game

13.2

So it’s taken from the game, you know it, just like we know it, the ”developed independentalty” is a load of bs. Let’s be clear: if you realease those missions day one so it’s taken from the game, if you will realase it let’s say 6 month after the game why not. Just be honest because people are not stupid.

13.3

That’s some wild accusations to throw at a studio like Insomniac Games without meaningful proof. You clearly were never buying the game anyway so why bother commenting???

Its hilarious how CDPR got no guff from anybody when announcing 2 expansions for their game after delaying it TWICE from 2 set official release dates and then other studios have to put up with this sort of crap.

Next you will be complaining about “no 60fps”, NINE years after Insomniac Games said they aren’t bothered with 60fps going forward after Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time’s 2009 release because nobody ever praised them for it before.

Show more replies

Great! One day after my birthday, it would be better if it’s on 6th of sept 😋.

I hope your next game (Insomniac) will be a Ratchet & Clank game. It’s better be. (maybe for the next-gen console)

Please.

I mean this in the nicest possible way but please tell me the collectors edition is not exclusive to GAME.

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 18:25
15.1

In the UK it is. Quantities are quite limited, so you may find these to be at exclusive retailers.

MiseryPrincess 04 April, 2018 @ 18:41
15.2

They are the worst possible retailer to do exclusives with.

First of all they make stuff more expensive, and secondly they put no limits on sales.

So all the copies get bought up by resellers, and just sit around on ebay for months at ridiculous prices.

15.3

@James Stevenson Shame, I was already set on putting my money down and buying the CE, but GAME are literally the worst company and I refuse to buy from them. I don’t know anyone in the UK who shops with them anymore. Always overpriced and always misplacing orders or cancelling orders last minute because they can’t fulfil them. Their track record is terrible

Please for future notice never make UK customers have to deal with them.

Show more replies

Not in vr or is that later

James please do not tell me that you guys are announcing the DLC before the game has even been released? Really thought Insomniac were better than that. Still getting this game regardless but I implore people to stop supporting these season passes and paid DLC plans if there just going to keep taking content out of suppossed full games.

And before someone gives me the stereotypical “No one is forcing you to buy it” line well that proves your just supporting this kind of practice

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 18:48 Edited
17.1

This content was NOT removed from the full game. A small additional team began work on the content and it’s separate from the main game.

For a single-player story game, you have to be ready to go with additional content after launch. The reality of that means you need to begin work on it simultaneously with the full game.

That does not mean we sectioned things out of the full game behind an additional paywall. The game you buy is the intended game experience we set out to make. If you want more story content/missions and suits after that, we will have that available to you too as part of City That Never Sleeps.

17.2

CDPR, the god of developers apparently, did it too so why not Insomniac???

17.3

Ah I see. So your justification for making it DLC is that it doesn’t quite fit with the single player campaign or diverges slightly from what your normally doing throughout the game. If that is the case then it should either be free after the game is released or just shelf it and incorporate it into a potential sequel (if hopefully this sells well enough).

I mean is £40-45 not enough money to get what should be included in the full game to begin with? James by your reasoning to get the complete experience I need to devote about £60+ to receive (what should be) traditionally extra missions, additional narrative missions and bonuses that should be unlockable by default from say completing certain milestones or finishing the game on very hard difficulty etc.

I’m just so tired of this justification from devs/publishers and people just defending it like a bunch of sheep

Show more replies

Game looks gorgeous, and so does the CE. One of my most anticipated games this year! Glad you guys picked a Spidey game to make!

Really hope the game is just as it looks. We really need an amazing Spiderman game. It’s been so long.

Please tell me that taking selfies from skyscrapers will be a game feature? This looks sick

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 18:49
19.1

Yup, it’s part of our Photo Mode which I think is going to be very cool

19.2

That’s great. Can’t wait to take a selfie from the top of 1 WTC :)

scarfaceali08 08 April, 2018 @ 13:00
19.3

That is awesome, photo mode is going to be sick! Will it be similar to Assassins Creed Origins, where you can share pictures with other players?

I buying the collector’s Edition and I can’t wait for this to release

Lets talk prices:

The PS4 exclusives usually cost 60€ in Europe on PS Store. The standard editions, at least.

In the USA they cost 60$.

Then why are you raising the price to 70€, while in the USA it reamains at 60$.

Plus they get the physical pin. Here? Nothing.

We, europeans, deserve more than this. We’re customers like them. Respect us.

HeavyAgent007 07 April, 2018 @ 14:06
20.1

I feel ya. Happens all the time that Europeans have to pay more for less.

I would really like to know if there will be a Spider-Man themed PS4 Pro console. I’m planning on getting the God of War PS4 Pro later this month, but if there will be a Spider-Man themed one, I’ll wait for that. Can you say whether or not there will be one?

maad_dog_moodie 05 April, 2018 @ 16:06
21.1

I’m in the same situation as you!

Got the God of War console on pre-order but a Spider-Man themed console would appeal to me more.

Just hoping they don’t announce one AFTER the GOW console is shipped to me. We have a 14-day returns policy as standard in the UK but I’m on holiday for 3 weeks from the day after God of War launches :/

21.2

Yeah, I haven’t pre-ordered mine yet because I will need to trade in my current PS4 Pro to afford it, but I really don’t want to pre-order/buy it cause I won’t be able to return it if I buy it. I wonder if there’s a way to contact Insomniac directly to get an answer to this.

maad_dog_moodie 05 April, 2018 @ 22:13
21.3

James Stevenson seems to be replying to almost every other comment on here so maybe he’s just not at liberty to say just yet… Of course it may be Sony who dictate these things for sales etc. They may even announce a console at E3, who knows. Not great on the fans but it’s a possibility unfortunately

Yep, had to get it (Collector’s Edition) from Game, not my ideal retailer

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 20:26
22.1

Glad you got one – quantities are so limited that in many countries it’ll be retailer exclusive just due to not having enough to go around. Thanks for pre-ordering

On my birthday of all days!?! :)

Collector’s edition for me!

James Stevenson 04 April, 2018 @ 20:26
23.1

Happy birthday in advance!

Hi James, I just want to know if you can explain who is responsible for the pricing in the UK?? Is it yourselves or Sony??

I feel £49.99 is a fair price for the standard edition of the game and even though the £54.99 price is only £5 more, it just seems like its a trial to see just how much customers are willing to pay. Can you please explain the reasoning behind the £5 increase please?? This is the same price as the Digital deluxe edition of God of war

Really looking forward to the game but as you can tell, money is tight for alot of people at the moment and surely a slightly lower price would secure more sales rather than people waiting for the game to go into a sale???

Thanks!

James Stevenson 05 April, 2018 @ 00:09
24.1

Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe handles all pricing, so I’m not really qualified to answer your questions and I do apologize for being unable to do so!

Pre-order the standard edition from Smyths toys. Its currently £40.99 if you select in-store collection.

Quick question :). Are the three screenshots from this article from the Alpha build like the trailer ? The color grading looks to have a very prominent cold tint/ bluish haze to the images that makes the darker areas and shadows look a little washed out and sterile. Will the photo mode allow us to apply our own settings during gameplay like the recently released Shadow of the Colossus :) ?

So be at E3 again this years E32018 can’t wait for more gameplay looking forward to this with missions and side missions. People this his the tea Spider-Man game forget past Spider-Man games expect Spider-Man 2 back on PS2 that was a great game 😀👍

The collector’s edition is “Only at GAME”

Ugghh

What about the Special Edition? I’ve seen the picture, but no mention of it anywhere. https://jogos.zwame.pt/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/special-edition.jpg

Can we ever get collector editions that come with a digital copy rather than disc.

trinideafguy1 05 April, 2018 @ 05:07

wow awesome… i want to ps3 new games… we need protest right now

Is it known which store in The Netherlands will carry the CE?

31.1

Probably game mania but i can’t find this edition yet on their websites …

31.2

it’s already up in both the NL and BE store at Game Mania :)

31.3

Saw it. And Nedgame mention the CE on Facebook too. I guess it’s not that exclusive here. Probably still quite limited though.

oh my god spiderman is so much wow. yippie. … hold on, I just realized I’m not an 8 year old kid who freaks out over comic books and superheroes, so I really couldn’t care less about all that hype

32.1

Yet, here you are commenting. If you didn’t care you would scroll on by. So you do care! Yay!

32.2

Seeing as it’s a PEGI 16, the only 8 year olds playing it will be those with parents who can’t be bothered understanding age ratings. Or parents who know what a 16 means but ignore it anyway.

MiseryPrincess 06 April, 2018 @ 08:59
32.3

Then again, most the people playing 16/18+ games online are under the age of 8, so that probably doesn’t work.

Where can we pre order the CE in Belgium ? –> NVM found it: online at Game Mania :)

Gonna get this game no matter what, but please let this pre-order bonus ******** die already. And here it’s “skill points” that will reduce some of the grind? Are you saying that’s a good thing? If so, is the game tedious?

Fantastic news – only 4 months to wait until we get the “An update on Marvel’s Spider-Man” news story with the *real* release date.

can’t wait!!

35.1

Underrated comment.

is there a plan to bring a second wave of collectors edition in Australia, cause it was pretty near sighted if all the pre orders were sold in 2 hours

I don’t know why everybody so upset here about payed DLC, prices and so on…… just get a job and pay 5-10 euro more for the developers that work super hard to give you hours of enjoyment! that’s day one for me that’s for sure :) keep up the good work and the amazing games you make! I platinum most of your games and I want to platinum this one too :)

just one question, is this game will support 4k and HDR? since this is the reason why I upgrade here my TV and pre-order ps pro GOW edition, I want to get the maximum for this game :)

37.1

Right, so nothing can ever be too expensive because we can all just “work more” to afford it?

The thing is, people who work for their money place value on it. They generally don’t want to give it away needlessly.

37.2

look I’m agree with people that said that companies charge more money for “deluxe edition” that gives you only theme and couple of costumes or clothes, and that’s really not worth the extra money, but some game studios that I really appreciate and some games I anticipate for long time I don’t care to pay the extra money for their hard work to make this game so I can enjoy.

and we are not talking about diffences of 20 euro/pound or what ever more…. usually it’s minor changes.

also I don’t understand what is the problem for people that complain about the prices on US stores? what is the problem to open another user on the us store? I have another use there that I use only for buying then you activate in your Ps4 as main console and that’s it! you can buy from there and play with your user :)

37.3

The best thing in my experience is when they just make one or two ‘big’ DLC’s, a la Witcher and Horizon.

Mr_Joker_1994 06 April, 2018 @ 03:33

So I pre ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition but i only saw that i got the Avatar and not the theme? Will it come out later?

I’ll wait for the complete edition.

tomatitozinho 07 April, 2018 @ 10:46

In Portugal how mutch is the collector’s edition ???

HeavyAgent007 07 April, 2018 @ 14:04

Very nice!

Wish there was a physical deluxe edition that just included the steelbook and the DLC. :( Would have definitely paid $90-100 for something like that, but $150 is too much when I just want the steelbook and the DLC and am not interested in the statue or artbook.

I am currently thinking I will probably get the standard edition, since I prefer physical discs over digital games. Will the extra DLC still be available to purchase separately for a reasonable price later, though? I don’t need the steelbook if it is only going to be in an expensive bundle, but I definitely want the extra DLC at some point.

Interested in this due to the developer. Not a fan of Spiderman.

I’m so excited about that game! Is there a chance to take the CE in Italy? No news yet from here

I preordered this since I was too late to preorder God Of War Collectors Edition.

Edit history