Posted

He’s back! Spyro Reignited Trilogy roars onto PS4 this September

Hold your horns! Our favourite purple dragon makes his long-awaited return later this year

Toys for Bob has long admired the original Spyro trilogy. Long before Skylanders, way back in 1998, the very first Spyro the Dragon was an inspiration to us. The level design, the controls, the art style, the humour, the music, the sense of discovery – it was groundbreaking in so many ways. There’s no getting around the fact that the feisty purple dragon is one of the most important and influential heroes in 3D platformer history.

Now 20 years on, we are deeply honoured to have the responsibility of remastering Insomniac’s historic trilogy, and our most powerful motivator is knowing how important Spyro is to millions of passionate fans across the globe.

TITLE

Updating a classic

Remastering a classic is a unique undertaking for a game developer – unlike the creation of a new game where you have to find the fun, you’re starting with a game that already has proven, time-tested fun.

The real challenge lies in how to remaster a beloved classic in such a way that is true to the spirit and feel of the original while also maximizing fidelity (art, animation, visual effects, sound effects, music, controls) and integrating quality-of-life improvements that modern players expect (analogue stick camera control, auto-save system, more fast-travel options, etc.).

Staying true

Given the intense passion the fans have for the original trilogy, we are approaching development with reverence – a deep respect for all the decisions that went into making the original games.

TITLETITLE

In the interest of getting the feel right, one of the first things we agreed upon internally was that Spyro’s original movement metrics — speeds and accelerations for walking, running, jumping, charging, gliding, flying, swimming, hovering, and more – should be matched as closely as possible.

And in a similar vein, an authentic recreation of the platforming gameplay throughout the expansive and enchanted levels of the original trilogy would require the dimensions and collision details of the world geometry to come very close to matching the originals. Needless to say, the Dragon Realms of 2018 utilise considerably more polygons than their 1998 counterparts.

Engineering magic

In the interest of recapturing the enchanted details from the classic trilogy in fine detail, our programming team set out to magically slurp inspiration directly from the original games. Spyroscope was born.

TITLETITLE

This internally developed tool sends fairies into the original games who convert game details into a format that designers can easily interpret, allowing for extremely accurate game object placement and motion.

Ultimately, we were also able to leverage many of the original assets such as level models, level collision, animated objects, character models, music, game text, and game sounds through a combination of other in-house tools and a few payments to Moneybags.

“Thank you for releasing me!”

Upon this solid foundation of data from the original trilogy, we’ve set out to craft a remaster trilogy worthy of Spyro’s 20th anniversary celebration. Each day, we’re working hard to fill the Dragon Realms, Avalar, and the Forgotten Realms with all the magic you remember. We can’t wait to share it with you all later this year.

TITLE TITLETITLE

Stay posted for more updates from the team – we look forward to revealing more details with the PlayStation community as the release date approaches. In the meantime, we hope you don’t have too much trouble with the trolley.

48 Comments
0 Author replies

Never played the originals but looking forward to this

CoolRichy007UK 05 April, 2018 @ 16:50
1.1

Dude i had all 3 original on ps1 you will love spyro i know every level inside out and music so activision better not mess it up

UltraSilver64 06 April, 2018 @ 08:52
1.2

Same here. I remember saying after roasting Gnasty Gnorc in the first game “He’ll (Spyro) go far, that one” and I was so glad that I was right. Can’t wait until September!

Carnivius_Prime 05 April, 2018 @ 16:09

So it’s real then? Good! Cos I know a whole lot of folk who’d have been upset if it turned out to be some kinda mis-timed April Fools joke. :)

Looking forward to it. :)

CoolRichy007UK 05 April, 2018 @ 16:49
2.1

Its real look at the video and it looks way better then ps1 games i waited 20 years for this and it will be ps4 and xbox :)

I like Spyro, it’s one of my favorite franchises, but I would be hundreds time more happy with a new crash bandicoot game or another crash remaster: please remaster: crash team racing, crash bash, crash wrath of cortex, crash nitro kart, crash twinsanity, crash team racing, crash the huge adventure and crash bandicoot 2 n-tranced

Carnivius_Prime 05 April, 2018 @ 16:19
3.1

I’d like a new or remade Crash Team Racing (none of that other stuff) but come on, Crash has had a nice successful comeback, let Spyro have his turn.

CoolRichy007UK 05 April, 2018 @ 16:47
3.2

Yes its spyros go now so crash racing has been put back till 2060

UltraSilver64 06 April, 2018 @ 08:53
3.3

Too true. We’ve had the N’Sane Trilogy. Now bring on the Reignited Trilogy!

Show more replies
GutsBerserker 05 April, 2018 @ 16:19

So beautiful, looks almost perfect! Crash Trilogy, now Spyro, if only Sony could VRemake their very own COLONY WARS trilogy I‘d be in heaven!

Steve_Of_The_O 05 April, 2018 @ 16:31
4.1

^ This is an amazing idea! ^

CoolRichy007UK 05 April, 2018 @ 16:50
4.2

Nooooooooooo

GutsBerserker 05 April, 2018 @ 17:35
4.3

Why not? If it‘s because of the VR part then don‘t worry, it‘d be 100% playable on a flat screen. If it‘s because you don‘t like COLONY WARS, then sorry I can‘t help you.

Show more replies

THANK YOU!! Wish I could say it a thousand times but thank you so much for doing this. Question for Toby: Is Stewart Copeland’s music from the trilogy staying intact or are you guys going to remix it similar to N Sane collection. I wouldn’t mind the latter but really hope its the former! :)

GutsBerserker 05 April, 2018 @ 16:40
5.1

Best of both worlds: let the player switch between original soundtrack and the remixed one.

CoolRichy007UK 05 April, 2018 @ 16:43
5.2

Not gonna happen its a remade game so EVERYTHING is new new graphics new music new lighting so get used to it or tough gnorks : D The game will have new music that copys original like it or not :D

5.3

This isn’t by Vicarious Visions, so I’m on the fence really.

A lot of the textures look really low res.

Show more replies
CoolRichy007UK 05 April, 2018 @ 16:46

Its a remaster people new graphics new music new everything activision said they are sticking close to original its in safe hands so buy it or il tell spyro and activision dont mess this up i know all 3 ps1 games inside out back to front the levels the music as long as it was like it was created for ps4 if ps1 never happened il be very happy so DAY1 PRE ORDER 4 ME

Yes!! Coming to Ps plus in 2020. I like it!

7.1

you are not even a plus member!!

Guess who’s back… back again… Spyro´s back… tell a friend xD

Remaster Onimusha if anything. I want to have my childhood memories back :)

9.1

Then get onto Capcom lol but it will just be an upscale port like the Devil May Cry one…………………… again.

Can’t wait. I played the originals when they came out which makes me feel old.

More importantly will the second game be called Gateway to Glimmer and not Ripto’s rage?

10.1

I hope so. Never liked the American titles.

Ughh i’m gonna buy this but having never played them before I worry they look a bit like an empty version of Banjo Kazooie. The demo is coming in a couple of days so it may change my mind.

Carnivius_Prime 05 April, 2018 @ 18:30
11.1

I vastly prefer the Spyro series over Banjo Kazooie (I always found Rare pretty overrated as a whole though)

11.2

That’s fair enough. I have amazing memories of Banjo and still play it to this day. Nintendo ditched them at the right time though. They have only been on decline from Jet Force onwards.

I’m excited, yet not surprised at all: you HAD to bring him back, how could you not!

UltraSilver64 06 April, 2018 @ 08:57
12.1

Too true, I PRAYED for this after Crash N’Sane Trilogy and glad that they were answered. Roll on September!

My god. YES FINALLY. Hmm, more details on the music though, my most important aspect of the game. Would be incredible if you simply could remaster the actual orignal soundfonts and synthesizers that Stewart Copeland used himself but simply released them in higher bitrate now than the PS1 could handle.

Played through the originals especially the third one, if this is half as good as it sounds it’ll be awesome. A great feel good platformer with some tricky challenges and variety of locales. Open ended levels unlike Crash (although I love Crash). Would love Stewart Copeland’s music there.

Please do the games justice!

Trouble with the trolley, eh? That reference absolutely killed me. Bravo. 🤗

The Dream Makers :D

Can we expect some PS4 Pro enhancements with Fire-K resolution? :)

Glad it’s being remade, like Crash & Medievil.

Means I can now get more shelf space by getting rid of my old PS1 versions.

And am also glad it gives some younger gamers a chance to play games they may of never seen or even heard of.

UltraSilver64 06 April, 2018 @ 09:00
17.1

Don’t get rid of your old PS1 originals, keep them. That way you can revel in your childhood memories while you wait. I still have mine and I’m not getting rid of them, no sir!

17.2

Why would you get rid of them? They’re a lot better than these remasters, always will be.

Prettying them up will never change that, also a lot harder to come by now so value will only go up.

OH GOD YES!!! I KNEW IT!

I played the original trilogy back in the PS1 days and I dreamed that after the Crash N’Sane Trilogy that Spyro would get the remaster treatment AND MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

Thank you Toys for Bob, consider my preorder secured. SPYRO IS BACK!

TASNEEMXEONDRAGO 06 April, 2018 @ 10:03

This game might be worth the shot for me. :D thank you playstation.

Wish: Easy Trophies and Easy Game pls. Good Example: Sly, Bad Example: CrashBandicoot

Again, this is awesome but wasn’t it a no brainer to simply go with the Title screen music from Spyro 1 as the music for the reveal trailer. Would have been epic instead of the generic tune we got that is nothing to do with Spyro.

good for PlayStation 4  to give us fans our classic back.

Da-Wicked-King 09 April, 2018 @ 05:53

A Reason to get Hype.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history