Posted

Post-apocalyptic open-world PS4 exclusive Days Gone release date confirmed

Plus, new animal threats, enemy faction and characters detailed by Bend Studio in new trailer

Over the past month, we have been showing a tonne of new gameplay from Days Gone – giving more insight into who Deacon is, the state world, and what it takes to survive within that world. We have also been reading your comments and have noticed a common question continues to emerge:

What is the release date for Days Gone?

To answer that question we created a brand new trailer:

In addition to revealing the release date, the trailer above introduces two new animal threats: mountain lions, or cougars, and infected ravens – called Criers in our world. We see another ambush event as Marauders torch an old vehicle and roll it onto the highway trying to knock Deacon from his bike. And the video ends with Deacon running out of gas out in the middle of nowhere – a quiet moment, perhaps, but maybe the deadliest of all.

Most important, we introduce a new enemy human faction: Rest In Peace, or R.I.P., is a cult that worships the Freakers. Rippers, as they’re known, dress like Freakers – and kill anyone who isn’t a Ripper. While they’re important to the story, Rippers are also an important part of the in-game Freaker ecology: when you get a chance to take down a Ripper camp, try bringing in a Swarm and see what happens – Rippers refuse to kill Freakers, and the results can be very entertaining.

Days Gone Days GoneDays Gone

Also, since we’re starting to introduce more of the characters you’ll meet in Days Gone, I want to formally introduce three characters you see in this trailer, two for the first time:

William “Boozer” Gray was introduced in our first reveal trailer back in 2016, riding with Deacon on the broken road and keeping Deacon from bashing in the head of a dead Freaker. From their cuts we know they are both members – or ex members – of the Mongrels MC. So they are more than just friends, they are brothers.
Boozer is played by the immensely talented Jim Pirri. For the role of Boozer, we needed a special actor who could help us tell the story. Boozer has to be tough, cynical, and a bad ass; but his friendship and brotherhood with Deacon has to come through as well. Jim has helped turn Boozer into a compelling and very human character.

Days Gone Days GoneDays Gone

Alkai Turner (pronounced alk-eye) is the arms dealer at the Hotsprings survivor encampment, played by the talented Jonathan Joss.

Ada Tucker is a former prison matron who now runs the Hotsprings camp, played by the inimitable DeeDee Rescher.

These are just three of the dozens of characters you will meet throughout the Days Gone story – which we’ll be talking more about as we get closer to launch.

Oh yeah – launch date. As promised and as revealed in our new trailer, we are excited to announce the release date for Days Gone:

22nd February, 2019.

Bend Studio are bringing Days Gone to E3 this year with even more new gameplay, so keep an eye on this space for more news and information about the game!

Days Gone Days Gone Days Gone

16 Comments
0 Author replies

2019

StevenJamesHyde 07 June, 2018 @ 16:42

Utterly meaningless. If there’s so much work left to do that it won’t be finished for another 9 months, there’s a strong chance that there’s something left to do which will take longer than expected and cause a delay. See you in 6 months for “An update on Days Gone”

andrewsqual 08 June, 2018 @ 11:53
2.1

Wrong. Shadow of the Colossus Remake got an exact release date last year and released on time. Same with Horizon Zero Dawn and plenty of other games. What are you basing your nonsense on?

Now Crackdown 3’s just announced “February 2019” release month? Now there is a random release window with as much confidence as last year’s “Spring 2018” delay. Is Spiderman getting delayed too then based on nothing on your end since that 6 months from release at its release date reveal?

As i predicted the other day its either Days Gone or Concrete Genie glad Days Gone finally gets a date the game should’ve come this year but if Bend felt like it wasnt ready i am fine waiting until Feburary 2019 its not like this year is gonna be boring for PlayStation players and we will have nothing to play.Release it when its ready no need to rush it,i want great game and will wait for great game,this years God of War was like 5 years in development and its praised by media and gamers as one of the greatest PlayStation games ever so take time and deliver us great game

andrewsqual 07 June, 2018 @ 18:08
3.1

I really do feel like it shouldn’t have been revealed as early as it was if it took this long in the end though. Even using an engine like Unreal 4 seems to have been a waste. Sony Bend already worked with Naughty Dog’s engine, or modified it at least, for Uncharted Golden Abyss. They should have took that experience and went with that engine again and even get to test its open world capabilities like in the Jak games.

Unreal 4 is a multiplatform game engine that has NOT been built from the ground up to take advantage of PS4’s powerful GDDR5 exclusive architecture. It feels like a missed opportunity and the fact its also on UE4 means it will highly likely NOT be native 1080p on standard PS4 like a lot of UE4 games lately.

Josip_Jukic 07 June, 2018 @ 18:53
3.2

All that matters to me is gameplay i am not saying graphics don’t matter but while we are on subject of Unreal engine a lot of great games came out using that engine first game that comes to my mind is Arkham Knight as Batman fan that game looked amazing using it they really streched it when you compare it to previous games in series.I see your point thosse who will play it on PS4 Pro will see diffrence if they have 4k HDR Tv’s it will not use full power of PS4 Pro or maybe even standard PS4 and i really respect your opinion but all that matters to me is gameplay if its great game to play than i am one of thosse who will play and support Bend as developer.

3.3

Believe it or not, Arkham Knight is running on Unreal Engine 3. And Injustice 2 also runs on Unreal Engine 3 and is better looking than Tekken 7 and Street Fighter 5 both on Unreal 4 lol.

So it still comes back to Unreal 4 being a problem for me. The latest Dragon Quest game is not a technical and graphical showcase in the slitest but still couldn’t even get to the PS4 standard of this gen at 1080p. Same with Tekken 7, again and it’s not even that incredible looking. All this time making Days Gone and it won’t be contributing to other 1st party studio’s games or contributions because it’s being made on the big standard multiplatform game engine of the gen

Show more replies
CaptainWitwicky 07 June, 2018 @ 17:04

Who are those people always asking for a release date? Is that the most important thing for a videogame? Many games get delayed anyway, so what’s the point? Anticipation perhaps, creating a hype? Okay, fine. Anyway, the release date is the least of my concerns, so Bend Studio take time to make this a great game. I get more interested every time I see something from the game.

After I saw the first trailer where the horde attacks him in the barn… I was sold. Day one for me. The date of release does not bother me, just take your time and make it at best as you can. I have Spider-man and Red Dead, to keep me busy until then.

Well be getting days gone next year I got games want buy this year to keep me busy anyway like Spider-Man, KH3 if coming out this , dreams , RDR2, shadow of Tomb Raider maybe more .

I am so lukewarm on this game. Maybe its just me but it seems Sony is talking about it forever, showing bits and pieces and the internet reacts with bored indifference. Even in this thread people discuss more about the nature of release dates than the game itself.

MiseryPrincess 07 June, 2018 @ 23:46
7.1

This game feels like it was originally made in that early PS3 era where there was so many godamned zombie games and everyone got really, really sick of them.

7.2

I agree. I feel so indifferent and un-interested. I think zombie culture has taken its toll on me, I feel sorry for Sony Bend, but I don’t think this game will do well when it releases. I really hope I am wrong.

Carnivius_Prime 07 June, 2018 @ 19:03

Who cares? Way this year’s been going (we’re already into June?) it’ll be Feb 2019 before you’re even ready. Time feels kinda meaningless lately.

Stonesthrow 08 June, 2018 @ 17:08

I don’t know if it’s just me but somehow I get the impression the game at this stage in this footage is technically inferior to what has been shown before. Oh well, at least they got a while to polish it up. Not my most anticipated exclusive but definitely one that I’ll pick up.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history