Posted

Panic Button is bringing underwater survival game Subnautica to PS4 later this year

Scavenge an alien ocean for supplies, build a base and test your skills with permadeath difficulty

PlayStation gamers – I am excited to tell you that Panic Button is developing the PS4 version of Subnautica, and Unknown Worlds is launching the game this winter!

Unknown Worlds made a gorgeous, immersive game a bunch of us at Panic Button have been fans of since it was announced, and we have been hoping to bring it to PlayStation gamers for a while. Everything lined up nicely and we are looking forward to bringing Subnautica to PS4 by the end of the year.

TITLE TITLETITLE

So, what’s the setup? In the 22nd century, humanity is beginning to colonise planets. You are on a mission to find a missing ship when a massive energy pulse sends you crashing into the planet. You find yourself stranded in your damaged escape pod on an alien, mostly-ocean planet. Now it’s your job to find a way home.

Scour the planet to find food, water, and materials to make the equipment you’ll need to survive, from knives to diving gear, high-tech watercraft, and more. Over time, you will build your own unique base of operations on the sea floor, with various layouts, components, and environmental factors.

Oh – and the waters definitely become more and more perilous the deeper you go.

TITLE

What drew me to the game were the gorgeous visuals and the gameplay. There is a wonder, an excitement and a weight that I haven’t experienced with a lot of games in this type of setting.

It’s got a wide diversity of gameplay: scavenging and crafting and surviving, casual to hardcore permadeath options, and a base-building mechanic that makes your gameplay experience unique. Subnautica is a special game, and we’re looking to do some special things for PlayStation gamers (more on that later).

I’m looking forward to you all getting to enjoy it this winter on PS4.

TITLE

What did you think about this story?
16 Comments
8 Author replies

Hyyyyyype

Adam Creighton 11 July, 2018 @ 17:57
1.1

Glad you are excited!

GattoViziato 11 July, 2018 @ 15:32

VR Patch, please!

Grim_streaker999 11 July, 2018 @ 15:53

Looks cool, but how come its not vr? This has written vr all over

Adam Creighton 11 July, 2018 @ 17:30
3.1

Right now, we’ve just announced PlayStation. We really appreciate the feedback and interest in PS VR, too, so thanks for sharing that.

Panic Button is the dev that ported Doom, Wolfenstein 2 etc. to Switch.

So yes, its a reliable developer.

Adam Creighton 11 July, 2018 @ 23:10
4.1

We like to think so, too. ;-)

Odysseus-Dreams 11 July, 2018 @ 18:53

I can understand it’s difficult but if you could get this to run in VR, then I’d be all over it

moogle_kupo 11 July, 2018 @ 19:40

Awesome news! When it comes to creating amazing ports, Panic Button is known to work magic and make the impossible, possible. Please know that the hype and hope of experiencing this awesome title in VR is VERY real for many of us! I’ll keep my hope alive and hype in check while I await further news! Wish you and your team all the success in the world! Thanks for all the work you and your team do to bring these awesome games to Playstation!!

Adam Creighton 11 July, 2018 @ 23:10
6.1

Thank you for the glowing praise, and the kind words!

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Finally! I’m so so happy! Especially that I am familiar with Subnatutica – started playing on PC and… got my graphic card broken down :/ So I’m really happy I’ll be able to play it on PS4. Pity I have to wait till winter ;)

Adam Creighton 11 July, 2018 @ 23:11
7.1

Looking forward to bringing it to you and your PS4. ;-)

Shadow-King 11 July, 2018 @ 21:50

I already own this for pc and have enjoyed it alot. If you can give us a VR patch or better yet VR at release, you’ll have gotten another sale from me!

Adam Creighton 11 July, 2018 @ 23:51
8.1

Glad you like the game! We’re excited to bring it to PS4 gamers. (Thanks for the bump for PS VR.)

trankillity 12 July, 2018 @ 07:00

Glad to see around 80% of these comments are all begging for VR. Love this game on PC, so keen for it on PS4 (with our without VR), but will definitely throw my hat in the ring saying that I’d love the VR aspect to be ported too – even if it were an additional, paid DLC!

Adam Creighton 12 July, 2018 @ 15:45
9.1

Thanks for the excitement and support (and PS VR request ;-)

+1 for PSVR. Have the PC version, but VR hardware for that is still out of my price range. ^^

this doesn’t seem like a game for VR. it actually has good reviews. everybody knows VR is for games nobody would normally play :P

I just hope it’s not some hyped hipster crap like The Long Dark.

Another vote for PSVR support :)

Heard lots of good things about this game, so am happy to see it coming to PS4.

I know lots of people don’t ‘get’ VR (or it just doesn’t suit the type of games they want to play) but I hope that developers understand that for the converted like me, adding VR features turns many titles from ‘meh’ to ‘must-have’ (looking at you Wipeout Omega!)

Adam Creighton 12 July, 2018 @ 15:46
13.1

Thank you for that feedback; we agree games need to make sense for PS VR, so it’s not gimmicky, is a good experience, and is a genuine add to the game.

If you can bring full PSVR support, colour me interested.

I’ll buy it in any form, but PSVR support would definitely make my heart beat a little faster. Happy porting!

LordChrisgrave 18 July, 2018 @ 01:07

AAHH Shut up and take all my money! Love this game.

Edit history