Posted

See No Man’s Sky NEXT multiplayer and third-person mode in action ahead of next week’s launch

Hello Games reveals trailer and full details on changes coming to its PS4 sci-fi exploration sim with update, out 24th July

Hello! On 24th July No Man’s Sky NEXT will launch as a free update for everyone who owns the game. On behalf of myself, and the team at Hello Games, I just want to say ‘thank you’. We are so excited to have made NEXT, and to continue to improve and develop No Man’s Sky, because of you, the community who play, explore and share this universe with us. It means so much to us.

We are focused on development, but we know people are hungry for details so wanted to share this before launch.

When No Man’s sky launched it was broad in a way that almost no other game is, but with four updates it has become broader and so much deeper too. Now, the release of NEXT brings a full multiplayer experience which makes the universe even more rich. We can’t wait for you to play, but hopefully you can see from the trailer this is a very new experience.

Here are a few things you might notice from the trailer…

Multiplayer

TITLE

• Team-up with a small group of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travelers.
  • You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
  • Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
  • Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
  • Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
  • Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.

Visual overhaul

TITLE

• The game is fully playable in third- or first- person, both on-foot and in ship.
  • Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
  • Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
  • Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.

Unlimited base building

TITLE

• Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
  • Dramatically increased base-building complexity and size limits.
  • Hundreds of new base parts.
  • Own multiple bases.

Command freighters

• Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
  • Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
  • Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
  • Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commission Station on your bridge.

Nearly two years ago, our small team of friends, with a shared love sci-fi, opened up the universe of No Man’s Sky for the first time. It was an innovative, weird and at times lonely game. I loved that, it reminded me of the science fiction books I grew up with.

This is an incredibly important update for us, but it’s also just another step in a longer journey, and we’ll continue to support No Man’s Sky in this way for the foreseeable future.

We hope you enjoy this and what follows – and we look forward to meeting you out there! Our journey continues.

44 Comments
0 Author replies

If it goes in a good sale, I will buy it!

1.1

Believe me…. you get every cent backon the current price… they put so much effort to reach to this point, I have not regretted buying the full price

1.2

I have heard of it, and seen a bit in trailers, I was really hyped long ago, don’t want to complain about previous messes because I believe they did enough to compensate!

1.3

They did more than enough. Both immediate post release support (several patches each week making the game noticably more stable and balanced with each of them) and adding huge gamechaning DLCs for free (others would charge like 15bucks for each of them).

The only “problem” two years ago was that internet trolls went crazy about multipalyer. But official info was always “you can meet other players but the world is so huge that it will probably never happen”. Thing about it for a while. Players were told that they will probably never meet anybody in this game, and two days after release went crazy that they can not play with friends. It was just riduculout complain and many others just jumped the hate train, jsut because they could.

Show more replies
MrSnowball_ 17 July, 2018 @ 16:16

This looks awesome piece of work! Can’t wait to play it with randoms drop in here and there.

P.S. Oh please look into PSVR support!

2.1

I agree with the psvr part…

2.2

Update: please look into PSVR and Aim Controller support!

+ HOTAS support please.

Show more replies

Now chop chop to ps+

Skeptical69 20 July, 2018 @ 08:40
3.1

R.I.P. all day one purchases.

I have no words. This has been an amazing Journey. and glad to be a supporter since 1.0 and will alway’s be.

Thank you so much Hello Games for making this possible, thank you Hello Games for believing, thank you Hello Games for making a great community. We Love Hello Games <3

No offense to all the multiplayer out there, but I sure do hope the mp part is a mode and I can choose the mode to go it alone…..I hope

Shepherd-IRL 17 July, 2018 @ 16:43
5.1

Agreed. This update sounds incredible, but I won’t be jumping back in if anyone can just grief me and still my supplies.

There is 0.00000000000000000000001% probability that you will run into another player by chance. It will not happen.

5.3

I would not be afraid of that. This is not 1x1km map with 64 players :-D Meeting another random player in this world would be really lucky.

If you would want to play online I believe you will have to invite others in some way (opening portals?) Otherwive there is no chance, you will be meeting others on regular basis.

What about fixing the bugs which has existed since day 1? Game is still a mess, and after each update I conclude the devs simply doesnt care. Never again.

6.1

Which bugs? Maybe you was one of those who purchased the game day 1 but sold it immediately or you haven’t even played the game, it’s hard to accuse the devs of not caring after the huge Foundation, Pathfinder and Atlas Rising updates and now this.

6.2

What bugs? There were bugs on release day. But they ironed them out in two weeks. I played it again after last update and did no encountered any problem.

I deny the possibility there may be some small bugs here and there.. But it is not a unfinished bugfest like other games. You wont be encountering them on regular basic.

Carnivius_Prime 17 July, 2018 @ 17:41

Really not my type of my game but I bought it cheap in a PS Store sale sometime ago just to relax and walk about the pretty landscapes but got really into it. A third person mode suits me fine as I’ve never liked first person. And proper multiplayer? Sounds great to me. Cheers for supporting the game and sticking to it despite all the backlash. It’s actually a really lovely piece of gaming entertainment now. :)

Actually looking forward to this. Any chance of a PSVR mode anytime soon?

When can I trick people by lying about my huge space mega entertainment complex, and than when they get there, it’s actually just a shed? When is that update coming?

Josip_Jukic 17 July, 2018 @ 20:05

Now it is what it should have been from the begining, everyone was hyped for this game because of the fact that you could travel and explore the Galaxy with your friends.Hats off to Hello Games for updating it and bringing it closer to what their vision always was.I Will for sure buy this game now because now it looks like thing that they promised to us keep updating it guys..

10.1

Hello Games: “The universe is so large, that changes of two players meeting are so small that it will probably never happen”

Players: “everyone was hyped for this game because of the fact that you could travel and explore the Galaxy with your friends”

I guess the whole problem was not exactly Hello Games fault :-D

Futureshark 17 July, 2018 @ 23:21

Perfect for PSVR, please!

blacksheepwall_ 17 July, 2018 @ 23:51

Looks decent but two years too late.

I can’t wait for this. I bought the game at launch and really enjoyed the five or six hours I played of it, then decided to put it away and wait for the day it finally realised its full potential. That day is almost here and I am so looking forward to jumping back in and exploring the universe!

Sounds like cliche, but better late than never. I don’t know if this game is really for me, but I find it amazing that the developers were not entirely crushed by the huge initial backlash and believed in their project. These are always those heartwarming stories that I love in the video game industry, and wish them a great new relaunch.

Carnivius_Prime 18 July, 2018 @ 08:44

Judging by the huge number of positive reactions on that lil emoji thingy it seems a lot of people are actually quite happy about this update. Which is nice. :)

Will it be free for anybody who gets the game at a later date? I never got it because of the fpv.

16.1

Yes. So far all these updates were released in form of free patches. It is not a DLC you ahve to donwload. It is just new big patch, that adds all these features as part of new version.

And other developers should take note. You can add 3rd person option. I’d like to see more games do this so I and others can actually play them.

I Love This Game, Love Just mooching about at my own pace, love not bumping in to anyone. At. All. It`s a great escape from life. I can definitely see the appeal of multiplayer, just not for me ta. Please can i be selfish and ignorant and continue playing on my own? Thanks for an amazing game.

I was happy with the game right from launch. The only thing I’d like to see is PSVR support.

C’mon, achieve what Elite Dangerous refuses to even try.

“When No Man’s sky launched it was broad in a way that almost no other game is.”

What a smoking pile of nonsense.

more like no players sky. remember how sean murray lied about the game prior to the launch and people bought it at full price and were disappointed and then the studio went radio silent. now 2 years later they present some updates that make the game suck less and everybod acts like it’s hot stuff. srsly hello games, too little too late.

Carnivius_Prime 19 July, 2018 @ 15:21 Edited
21.1

2 years later? mate, they’ve been provding free update patches with large amounts of content many times over those 2 years and it’s been nice watching the game expand. They could have just taken all the hate and run away but they stuck with it and were dedicated to fixing things. That’s a lot more than what some companies can be bothered to do. Second chances ain’t a bad thing.

21.2

well it seems to me it took them 2 years to make the game that people thought it was going to be at lauch. while I do agree continued updates are better than closing down, the people who bought it at launch essentially paid for early access while the devs continued development ater releasing an unfinished product and lying about what people where buying.

Questions:

1. Is this gonna need ps+ now?

2.is it gonna lag more (probably yes)?

Used to love this game BUT with every update it kinda got more messy (inventory managment, useless objects, story) and updates after pathfinder it got real laggy, for some reason looking at indoor hydroponic 4 slot tray makes ps4 4 fans ramp up to an unusual speed (im right next to it).

Surly adding more is going to make it run even worse, i was going to just get it on pc but reading the steam forums it doesnt run much better (it does in the eyes of fanboys) i just want a game i can play with no lag.

The update looks great, but will it run good is all im bothered about. havent read anywhere about performance optimization

LtRegBarclay 23 July, 2018 @ 10:06

PS Plus needed?

Hi. Is PS Plus actually needed for the NEXT update? Any source on this. I have both NMS and PS Plus, just asking for a friend. I personally love the game since day 1.

Regards

Golden_Lore 23 July, 2018 @ 20:26

When i first saw that game…i just…wanted to get it)

But I had slow PC, BUT now i have PS4)

AAAND I wanted to play it with my friend))) SOO…Ill go to PS Store

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history