Posted

Extended Fortnite cross-play beta launches on PlayStation 4

Cross-platform features are coming to PS4

Following a comprehensive evaluation process, SIE has identified a path toward supporting cross-platform features for select third party content. We recognize that PS4 players have been eagerly awaiting an update, and we appreciate the community’s continued patience as we have navigated through this issue to find a solution.

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.

For 24 years, we have strived to deliver the best gaming experience to our fans by providing a uniquely PlayStation perspective. Today, the communities around some games have evolved to the point where cross-platform experiences add significant value to players. In recognition of this, we have completed a thorough analysis of the business mechanics required to ensure that the PlayStation experience for our users remains intact today, and in the future, as we look to open up the platform.

This represents a major policy change for SIE, and we are now in the planning process across the organisation to support this change. We will update the community once we have more details to share, including more specifics regarding the beta timeframe, and what this means for other titles going forward.

In the meantime, please stay tuned for more information via our blog and social channels, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

What did you think about this story?
154 Comments
0 Author replies

There we go, better late than never.

should be never really do you want to play with hackers on PC with mod tool in black ops 4? ummmm i dont think so?

I’m not sure you understand how cross-play is implemented in this case, it is totally opt-in all this change does is give people more options.

If you wish to continue playing only against PS4 players, you can carry on doing so. You’re only put in cross-play servers if a member of your party is on another platform, otherwise the lobby is completely PS4 players.

However for those with friends on other platforms or who wish to play Fortnite on multiple platforms (since you couldn’t even log in to your account on an Xbox One for example if you had played on a PS4 before), they now have the option to do so.

If other developers down the line don’t follow the procedure above that Epic Games has for cross-play, then that’s on them for poorly implementing it.

ok agree with you there – my experience when switch users started to be able to play with xBox players was really bad that’s all im saying – i actually want cross play I just want it to work well that’s all

Show more replies

Wow just wow! Been waiting for this to be implemented in rocket league! This is the obvious first step, thanks Sony 👏👏

Show full comment

Why are you saying thanks? this is sony being stupid and not standing there ground! people moan and grown about this in a couple of games like rocket league and fortnite and then the flood gates open into the games with hackers all over the joint – its a mess and not what people should want, I know personally myself moved from xbox one on firtnite over to my ps4 pro and never picked it up on switch, but on my xbox one I could see a direct lag issue as soon as switch was put into play, it was ok with PC but not switch there was a barrel load of issues that I just didn’t play it on my xbox anymore, i just hope that sony are taking there time on doing it right – one thing is for sure I don’t not want to be playing black ops 4 against PC owners than have programmed mod tools that if your on a console you cant use – it’s ridiculous and anyone can see this shouldn’t be happening – hopefully sony will vet on a game by game basis and also let the user define that they only want to play with people on XYZ platform – terrible news.

Don’t worry man its just in Fortnite. The most normie game in history

I hope so :)

Show more replies

How do I opt in to this open beta?

Carnivius_Prime 26 September, 2018 @ 14:14

I’ve no interest in the game (tried it a while ago and didn’t care for it) but crossplay between these formats finally happening is interesting

Come on Sony, stand your ground! Adding cross play to anything Microsoft is on is no good for the business.

totally agree here.

How do you figure that? They’re more likely to lose potential customers and annoy current ones by locking everyone else out than they are to lose customers by adding the feature.

i don’t think that they are at all. and a locked platform is more secure full stop – as soon as hackers on black ops 4 start tools it’ll be a mess, pretty sure any good programmer would be able to spoof to a server and let it think your on ps4 when your on pc and use mod tools….. um no thanks, actually disappointed with Sony here backing down.

Show more replies

thank you so much for doing this and yes this is good to be on playsation

6.1

really? Such bad news!

Thanks for listening!

From a matchmaking point of view I wouldn’t mind seeing this kind of functionality in other games such as Battlefield and the like. Maybe not with PC but with Xbox and potentially Switch? Either way it’s a very big move by Sony and I’ll be interested to see how it goes.

I’m so happy you guys finally saw sense! I hope this is the beginning of full cross play on most multiplayer games :)

i hope your wrong, next PC modder’s with tools for black ops 4 with be all over the place and no one will want to play it – very bad move on sonys behalf really

If there are modders/hackers then I’m sure they’ll be dealt with like they currently are, your daft if you think similar hacks don’t happen already and this can be nothing but a good thing.

degree they slip threw on xbox one all the time – its a mess maybe thats just how they deal with it on there – and maybe that why sony are taking there time to do it right – i really do hope so – i dont mind it just needs to implemented correctly and well

Show more replies

please tell me this is opt in and not going to come into other games – i don’t not want this, at the end of the day if i play online i don’t want someone to have a unfair advantage or disadvantage – its why I continued to play this on my PS4 and not start to play ti on my switch – opening the flood gates to let cross play in my opinion needs to have more control over who ‘me’ the gamer can do, im sure many people are happy but on the xbox one I could see a direct difference between players that where on switch to the xbox and they had a disadvantage – this is sony backing down to pressure and for the wrong reasons

I think that games with cross play will have some filters for keyboard/gamepad games (even some PS4 Only got this already). Same as “same region/whole world” now.

10.2

I really hope so, I don’t want to play anyone that’s on PC / switch with hacking tools on any shooters like say blacks ops 4

I dont think you will play against Xbox users if you do not have xbox user on your team

well, idk

Show more replies

Is this a real life? Is this just fantasy? :D

So we gonna need to accept some new PSN terms of use, blah blah blah, but I’m in, if they are changed because of this feature!

Holy [DELETED]! I can actually play with my friends all over the platforms now! :D

Oh NO! If i play on a PlayStation i want to play with people in the same network using the same d*mn machine. [DELETED], Sony !?

13.1

100% agree with you, lets hope sony implement this correctly and thats why its taken time – like you a lot of people wont want this.

You realise that you can opt out of the cross-play service right? I see what you are saying and understand however, to continuously boycott a service that the majority wants even though you don’t have all the facts is just anoying to see. If you don’t want cross-play then opt out of it in game. Simple.

13.3

Id like a system wide opt out setting

About time!!!!! Bring on Rocket League cross play next 😁

14.1

no thanks…

Overwatch too. But before that add native Mouse + Keyboard support like MS did as well.

Eduardo_H_Lopes 26 September, 2018 @ 19:39
14.3

Hell yeah that’s all we need in Rocket League.

I don’t play it but Fortnite is massive and I figured Sony would cave in but at least now the kids won’t ask for consoles that their friends play on.

Now add K/M support like MS. Then MP games can have K/M servers across XBOX/PS/PC. Where as at the moment people are using K/M through emulators on PS4 and Xbox in controller servers. Nothing wrong with that but just isnt fair at the moment. Some people carnt play with a controller for disability reasons or just dont like controllers. They shouldnt be excluded from PS for that reason. Add K/M, all platforms play together. Everyone wins, more so controller players as they dont get owned by K/M players anymore.

^^^

16.2

I believe Sony has supported KB/M since PS3. It’s the developers that need to code support for it. The only game I saw use it on console was Unreal Tournament on PS3.

L-DragoBeyblade 26 September, 2018 @ 15:04

Look Sony, your are making me happy. PlayStation have been on their own for Years and now we are getting Cross-Platform Play. I SAY DO IT! And to everyone that says Xbox has Hackers, we don’t stop saying that. We are a safe community and i think everyone that says Microsoft is bad or unsafe is stupid. If you hate Cross-Play disable the feature when it goes live, but don’t tell Sony to stop the Update just because you think it’s wrong!!!!! I have been waiting since Microsoft went for Cross-Play so don’t runin it for others! And yes i may not know how to spell but you know what i’m SAYING!!!!!!!!!:(

17.1

Thanks for calling me stupid :) xbox online is a mess and i can vouch for that it 100% has hackers all over, iv witnessed it in person, i really hope that this time sony have taken that they implemented it correctly.

I really hope that you can only play with xbox users if u have an xbox user in your squad

L-DragoBeyblade 08 October, 2018 @ 00:40
17.3

We’ll ok. Sorry for calling you a stupid but you know I have never encounter any hackers on the Xbox One but just because I never seen one with me doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Every Platform has hackers and nothing is safe

Does this mean my account will finally be “unlocked” in fortnite, since I was never warned!

L-DragoBeyblade 26 September, 2018 @ 15:08
18.1

Yes it will be unlocked mate… Support Cross-Play :)

Really, don’t do cross play with pc it’ll end in tears.

19.1

totally agree

If they add K/M support they call pull the players apart in every game so K/M never play with controllers. ATM K/M players are buying emulators and playing with controller people on ps4. Some people carnt play with a controller for disability reasons or just dont like controllers. They shouldnt be excluded from PS for that reason. Add support, close the servers down and its fair for K/M players on all consoles and even better for controller players on consoles as there will be no K/M players

19.3

there is that yes, but i also dont want to play with people that have mod tools

Show more replies

best thing ever but does anyone know actually how to cross play with xbox or nintendo

Carnivius_Prime 26 September, 2018 @ 15:22

People complaining about not wanting to play against other systems but I would have thought there would be options to select which gamers you want to play against? Rocket League and Street Fighter V for example have crossplay between PS4 and PC but you can select to just search for PS4 players if you want to and I would assume Fortnite here would do the same?

21.1

I want it to be a system level feature that can be turned off system wide.

Carnivius_Prime 26 September, 2018 @ 18:11
21.2

Not even sure how that would work….

Game option is absolutely fine. You’re complaining about nothing

21.3

You don’t need to know how it would would just that it’s a option :)

Show more replies

Please update us with your on the future of PlayStation.

22.1

*with your view and vision

Let’s be honest PlayStation is good for single player games the controller and network are terrible for anything competitive thats facts..

Dualshock 4 most popular for fighter e-sports also games like Rocket League pros use Dualshock 4 too

I’d rather be able to change psn Id than cross play. Do you an update for that

24.1

I’d rather be able to actually play online for free, or at the very least only pay a fee for that…

androidisaloser 26 September, 2018 @ 15:55

Yes! Tremendously excited to see such a big step taken. I appreciate that this may be a lot of work on the back end, but a long-awaited feature like this (even beyond hope, I’d been pining for this since PS3 days 😂) will make for countless more gaming memories for PlayStation players and their cross-platform friends for years to come!

TL;DR: CROSS PLAY HYPE!

WAIT, that means I can use my Epic account on my switch now? or what.

im still locked out of my epic account on my switch just tried it

its working now you can play on the switch

AlucardTepes_DE 26 September, 2018 @ 16:05

Finally Sony accepted its HUGE MISTAKE and its willing to fix it!

Apologies accepted, now make sure you start spreading this to the other games!

Keep it up, we gamers always support any company that its willing to give us Cross-Play.

I will still play it on Playstation 4 regardless, due the fact 90% of eSports(FGC mainly) games take place on Playstation consoles!

Now do Overwatch. Also CoD. And maybe Rocket League.

Actually how about everything?

28.1

Let’s hope not.

We need this for the Paladins game.

Do not limit crossplay to a single game, everyone has the right to have fun with crossplay in every game that wants as well.

Next Monster Hunter World coop please.

30.1

The playerbase for MHW is predominately if not almost entirely on PS4 anyway, so it wouldn’t really change much.

The PC platform wouldn’t really work due to missing events, bugginess and no anti cheat.

Good news for the gaming community as a whole. Playstation are living up to their slogon 4thePlayers with this decision. I look forward to seeing how this plays out. I think aslong is this is opt in (in similar fashion to how it’s handled with rocket league) it’ll work out well. Please however keep ranked play to same platform servers. Thanks Playstation for taking this first step

Cross-play on PS4? For real? Wake me up Toto!

I’ll applaud when I actually see it, but apparently Sony is *finally* getting reasonable.

Next thing you know, Xperia users will be able to send phone calls to the rest of the world.

This should be an opening to all multiplayer games to have crossplay, since so many games would benefit with population increase in dying game modes. Seriously hope they won’t stop at such normie game as Fortnite, but also the likes of Dead by Daylight, Battlefield 1, For Honor, etc.

33.1

Other than that population increase I really don’t see what the big deal is?

33.2

i hope not!

33.3

I hope, too. I saw the multiplayer in Battleborn perish… at first on steam, if I remember correctly, shortly afterwards on Xbox. I don’t know how it was on PS4, but I guess similar. Crossplay would have been great :)

Show more replies

I’d love to see Playstation V Xbox competitions, team death match and all that. There would be some colourful language used in those sessions. If this was expanded to all online games i would sell my Xbox one x.

34.1

Ha colourful language- yeah from 12 year olds to adults all over again – a lot of people do not want this!

About time! Now MK support like in WarThunder for all games like that….

Can you allow Tekken 7 next?

36.1

So the playerbase came go from 3 to 5 individuals overnight?

36.2

Oh god please no!

Why?

Show more replies

Who cares -_- Why would you want to play against laggy Americans anyway? Our servers were way better when they were predominantly on Xbox in the first place… Wouldn’t touch f2p battle royale if you paid me either way.

37.1

I have lag issues against switch and mobile owners on my Xbox it’s a terrible plan and Sony should of stuck there ground!

Add native Mouse + Keyboard support like MS.

First Person Shooters must be played with Mouse not bad Analogue sticks.

Too much XIM4 users nowadays on consoles, to combat them adding native K+M support will make it fair play field for everyone

38.1

XIM4?

I remember trying K+M on Unreal 3 on ps3 and it felt absolutely horrible. Might as well stick to PC then.

38.2

PS4 already has native K+M features, had them since launch just like PS3. Been able to use them for all MMOs that are cross play with PC.

It’s up to the developers to patch them into their games, not Sony.

XIM4 is used on games that don’t support K+M natively, so they can use K+M against all us Controller players unfairly.

Unreal 3 had native K+M support for all, entirely different.

Show more replies

Ha.

39.1

Haha

Well i’m happy it’s coming, even though we’ve been cross-platform with PC for well over a decade now, Microsoft refused first when we offered it remember, don’t see those sad sacks getting any hate.

But Fortnite, really? Such a pathetic game that’s pretty much ruining all other modern games by adding this stupid Battle Royal mode.

I’ll stick to my singleplayer exclusive games like Spider-man, Suck it Xbox, have fun playing all your little nerf gun games.

40.1

Lol that’s funny – nice one agree man

This can only be good for multiplayer games going forward. Lobbies full of gamers rather than ghost towns. Player choice is going to be key for the next gen consoles. Definitely a step in the right direction, Sony

41.1

Bad move if they do it the same as Microsoft! Let’s hope it’s not full of lobbies of children playing COD vs Adults on PC yeah?

Eduardo_H_Lopes 26 September, 2018 @ 19:36

Please bring the cross-platform to Rocket League, this will bring so much players to the game and it will enhance our experience, you guys have no idea. Pleaaaaaase, I’m begging for you.

42.1

Nope let’s hope not!

This is so cool because you can play with basically anyone with a consol or mobile.thanks PlayStation 😃

43.1

just why would you want that? iPhone vs a Xbox one on a game just sounds like to many variables it’s daft just not a good idea and Sony backing down is annoying

43.2

And you want that? Really???

43.3

I tell you what… I’ll play on my Xbox you can have my 5 year old iPhone and play on 3G in a filed in Long Island and see how we fare yeah?

I think not

bad move song bad move

Sony saving Xbox ass lol… I will stick with ps community thanks.

44.1

Good shout!

44.2

I think most people are on the same camp apart from crazy people with zero idea apart from I want fortnite with a iPhone playing on a subway with poor signal lol

opt out should be a setting on the system on in game – remove as a hole – I love my switch and ps4 and want the communities to stay locked- Microsoft just want to play ball and look like the nice guy when there far from it! Sold my Xbox one years ago and glad for it terrible experience and glad it’s gone!

Brilliant, thank you! So many problems to overcome but I’m glad you’re now tackling them head on. Personally, if Elder Scrolls Online went cross-platform I’d be able to join my daughter’s clan on XBox One X. You’d not just be bringing gamers together but families too :)

46.1

how Crazy are you? You want old men playing online with your daughter? Think about that for a minute and then think again!

That’s unfortunate…

47.1

Terrible news!

“Friendly fire – isn’t”

”if the enemy is in rage , so are you”

”when I’m doubt, empty your magazine”

”try to look unimportant, the bad guys may be low on ammo”

“The easy way is mined”

maximillion_inc 27 September, 2018 @ 04:15

I think this is the first step towards cross play in all online games,which I am so excited for. Can’t wait to play with my friends that have Xbox’s. This is a step in the right direction, good job for listening to the community Sony.

49.1

That the thing isn’t – only listening to the people that wanting it – not the ones that was happy that it didn’t happen, they had no reason to say anything – well now they do! Such bad news in gaming terrible if they do it the same way as on Xbox – shocked they caved in.

Finally! Thank you Sony!

As a Xbox player, I will now buy my first PS4! I was always interested in your JRPGs and other games, that doesn’t make it to Xbox, but if I buy a multiplayer game here or maybe get one via PS Plus, thats also available on Xbox like the current Destiny 2 for example, then I could not play it with all of my friends and would have to buy it on Xbox again. So that was the one thing that was always holding me back. And statements like “PS4 is the best place to play” didn’t help with my purchase-intention, when all my friends are on another console…

But now, things seem to change. Even if its only starting with Fortnite, I hope this will finally be an option for all games.

I’ll purchase a PS4 within the next few days, when new money arrives on my account! I’m now really looking forward to it! :)

Thank you once again! :)

50.1

Really why? Just no…. saying thanks for this something that shouldn’t be happening – I just hope the time it’s taken Sony means it better than in Xbox!

Load all