Posted

Announcing PlayStation Classic’s full line-up of 20 games

Revisit Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil Director’s Cut and more from 3rd December

It was so exciting to see the positive response from the community to last month’s PlayStation Classic announcement. Today we are happy to reveal the entire line-up of 20 games that come preloaded on the console, which launches across the region on 3rd December.

We previously highlighted five fan-favourites – Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash!, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms. Here’s the full list of titles that fans can now look forward to playing:

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

PlayStation Classic

PlayStation Classic offers these 20 amazing games and a virtual memory card to store your game saves. The miniature console is approximately 45% smaller than the original 1994 PlayStation and comes complete with two full size controllers for endless hours of couch multiplayer fun. Visit PlayStation.com here to find out more, including where you can pre-order the console.

Let us know which game you’re most excited to play in the comments below!

PlayStation Classic

112 Comments
0 Author replies

Was just thinking when this list would drop

Cool Boarders 2, Rayman, Destruction Derby, Abe’s Oddysee and GTA!!! Had all of them on the original PS

I was really hoping to see Parasite Eve on here as we never got it in the UK but apart from that, the list is really solid.

3.1

Sony have messed up big time!

NO Castlevania Symphony of the Night?

NO Wipeout? (any at all?)

NO Resident Evil 2?

NO Silent Hill?

NO Parasite Eve? (any at all?)

NO Gran Turismo?

NO Tomb Raider?

NO Crash Team Racing?

NO Dino Crisis? (any at all?)

Instead we have:

Mr Driller?

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Intelligent Qube?

Jumping Flash?

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six?

What is wrong with you Sony?

You have disappointed a lot of fans and lost a lot of sales this way!

3.2

Japan got Parasite Eve, this is not fair at all!

johnnyhotrocks 29 October, 2018 @ 15:10
3.3

Ok melodramatic much?

You cant please everybody can we, or do you expect the world to cater only for you?…..you probably do going by the tantrum.

I would have loved silent hill,dino crisis, crash team racing ect: ect: but not the end of the world i bought them on the psn for buttons so you can as well rather than moaning the list didnt please you and then having the audacity to claim fans thinking the same…..THEY DONT.

They had a 20 game limit set, if they took out one of your moan games they peeve off fans of that game so where does the buck stop.

Dont like it Dont buy it simples.

Show more replies

A questionable choice. No Parasite Eve, Crash, Spyro or Symphony of the Night? Why 20 games when it should be 25? Also, any chance of quick save states? Loading times would be slow enough and not everyone would have the patience for managing ink ribbons in Resident Evil.

4.1

Spyro, Castlevania and Crash have all had PS4 remasters so no value to having the original. Would have liked to see Soul Blade and/or a Suikoden personally.

@unknown_fate This does not really hold up though when you consider this is also true of Oddworld, Resident Evil, MGS, Persona (given a while ago) and Final Fantasy VII but they did make it on the list…If we only include games that are not re-released or remastered or both there is very few top PS1 games left! Also how do you not put a single Tomb Raider game on there? No Tomb Raider and no Crash, not my PS1!

Still have my copy of Syphon Filter!

I was thinking that most of us could not be happy with just 20 general games. So many memories left out. Idc though, still gonna buy it!

What about that removable panel on the back, will it offer expansion for other games?

Probally fake. Like the fake eject button on the SNES mini

6.2

I dunno, it looked like it did actually come off, it has no point being there then.

Will the games run in 60Hz natively (rather than 50Hz)? This is kind of a deal-breaker for me to buy the system.

Some of the PS2 classics are horrible to play on PS4, due to 50HZ, for example, Dark Chronicle.

Solid list, you’re never going to please everybody only having 20 games from the ps1 era (maybe you could do a v2 with another load of games on it?) I will be keeping my preorder on it anyway.

Anyway disappointed there’s no Dino crisis, silent hill, symphony of the night, GT1, THPS2, tenchu, micro machines v3, tomb raider. Also destruction derby 2 would have been preferable to #1.

The word “preloaded” games reads to me like there might be another (legal) way to load additional games later on?

9.1

More like “that’s what you get”

RosweeGangsta 29 October, 2018 @ 12:36

Not a terrible line up but where is Tony hawks 1 or 2

Kula world?!! 🙄😢😢😢

Gran turismo 2

Resi 2 metal gear VR Missions a bandicoot (original version) after recent remakes would have been cool

Tomb Raider!

jumping flash 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️✌🏻

phantasystar77 29 October, 2018 @ 12:46
10.1

Tony Hawk 1 and 2 are loaded with licensing from the music to the characters themselves. Similar goes for Gran Turismo 2 with the music and all the cars. Even assuming they were to actually re license everything, would it actually still cut them a profit, or would they need to tack on another $25-30 to the systems to cover the cost. Also, what if they can’t completely secure all the old licensing, what then? Should they spend a lot of time and money removing, and or replacing everything?

KillamanShank101 29 October, 2018 @ 12:37

No Tony Hawk’s, Castlevania SOTN or FF8!?

Looks great, I would like to know about display options, will we be able to screen stretch all the games or will it only display in normal old TV mode?

There’s a button on your TV remote that does everything you’ve asked for.

Disappointed. Jumping Flash, Ridge 4 and maybe Tekken 3, those are the ones I could play. The rest I would just let be..

Pretty underwhelmed by that list.

14.1

Yeah I know how you feel, it must be a joke!

NO Castlevania Symphony of the Night?

NO Wipeout? (any at all?)

NO Resident Evil 2?

NO Silent Hill?

NO Gran Turismo?

NO Tomb Raider?

NO Crash Team Racing?

NO Dino Crisis? (any at all?)

Instead we have:

Mr Driller?

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Intelligent Qube?

Jumping Flash?

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six?

What is wrong with you Sony?

You have disappointed a lot of fans and lost a lot of sales this way!

No Crash Bash so :/

ITT: “Where is [Insert game that is one of literally hundreds that you really liked but other people might not have]?! Waste of an opportunity [or other general complaint]”.

16.1

pls tell me who likes mr driller and who doesnt like sotn?

16.2

I see your point, I don’t like Mr Driller, but I personally couldn’t care less about SOTN either. And the inverse of this is that someone does like Mr Driller. I’m just highlighting that the 20 games chosen was never going to satisfy 100% of people and whining about it isn’t going to change anything.

Money for old rope…..

This list is silly! Driven by ease of licencing and not by what this system needs to be. Even when they did get the content owners on board they messed it up GTA 1 over 2? GTA 1 is really not much fun by today’s standards, hell even then it was mostly the novelty of the free form violence…Persona really? I’m a fan of P3 onwards but the early games are so rough…it’s nuts! I bounced off the PSP versions so hard. FFT would be much better fit, or Suikoden! Battle Arena Toshinden over Street Fighter or even Rival Schools? Come on!?!

No Wipeout? Soul Reaver? Driver? Castlevania! Crash! Tomb Raider?!?!?!

Of course GT missing is also crazy even though we’d all taken it as given they would not due to licences…it’s bad! Same with THPS, such classics that they are needed to feel right…

18.1

I agree.

You messed up big time Sony.

NO Castlevania Symphony of the Night?

NO Wipeout? (any at all?)

NO Resident Evil 2?

NO Silent Hill?

NO Gran Turismo?

Yes there are some cool ones like:

Final Fantasy VII.

Resident Evil Director’s Cut.

Metal Gear Solid.

Wild Arms.

Battle Arena Toshinden.

Tekken 3.

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee.

But seriously:

Mr Driller?

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Intelligent Qube?

Jumping Flash?

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six?

What is wrong with you Sony?

You have disappointed a lot of fans and lost a lot of sales this way!

Decent list in my opinion. Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Destruction Derby, Abe all very good games. Shame the likes of Resi 2 or 3, MGS Special Missions, Worms, Tomb Raider ect didn’t make it. But it’s still a solid list and I am looking forward to getting one.

You’re kidding me, the japanese version has armored core parasite eve and arc the lad 1 and 2, and we get…destruction derby instead.

Who do I slap, already bad enough with their censorship policy’s now this, I’ll be buying one for sure…SECOND HAND!

Dino crisis 1 & 2 would have been nice.

There’s easily twelve games on the list that I’m very happy about, and another six that I’m interested in trying out! Very happy about this outcome. I’m surprised that Wipeout didn’t make the cut, though I suspect its soundtrack is the issue. Would’ve loved to see Ape Escape, but no included DualShock wrote it off the list. Hopefully we see more “Classic” releases in the future. (Consider releasing PS1 Classics on PS4? Please!)

I saw Japan’s PlayStation Classic is getting Armored Core. It’s the only game on Japan’s list that I wish we had, but it’s a VERY strong wish.

You messed up big time Sony. What is this?

NO Castlevania Symphony of the Night?

NO Wipeout? (any at all?)

NO Resident Evil 2?

NO Silent Hill?

NO Gran Turismo?

You really messed up Sony, could have sold a LOT more if you include those games aswell!

Instead you have put some really bad ones in the 20.

Yes there are some cool ones like:

Final Fantasy VII.

Resident Evil Director’s Cut.

Metal Gear Solid.

Wild Arms.

Battle Arena Toshinden.

Tekken 3.

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee.

But seriously:

Mr Driller?

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Intelligent Qube?

Jumping Flash?

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six?

What is wrong with you Sony?

You have disappointed a lot of fans and lost a lot of sales this way!

Simulacrum_AT 31 October, 2018 @ 09:53
23.1

How often are you going to post this comment?

Can I plug in a game genie to it?

On a more serious note. Didn’t most of these games play with the analog sticks release later in the ps1 days?

No Tomb Raider or Crash?

Surprisingly, no GT or WipeOut!

DarthKenobi66 29 October, 2018 @ 14:05

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

25.1

I don’t understand this list eighter, Sony could have made so much more sales and money with better games!

NO Castlevania Symphony of the Night?

NO Wipeout? (any at all?)

NO Resident Evil 2?

NO Silent Hill?

NO Gran Turismo?

Yes there are some cool ones like:

Final Fantasy VII.

Resident Evil Director’s Cut.

Metal Gear Solid.

Wild Arms.

Battle Arena Toshinden.

Tekken 3.

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee.

But seriously:

Mr Driller?

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Intelligent Qube?

Jumping Flash?

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six?

What is wrong with you Sony?

You have disappointed a lot of fans and lost a lot of sales this way!

Resident Evil, Oddworld and Super Puzzle Fighter already has remakes (on PS3/PS4), so those spots were kinda wasted. Resident Evil 3 and Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus would’ve been better choices. And for comparison, Japan has a few different games than us:

– Arc the Lad 1

– Arc the Lad 2

– Armored Core

– Devil Dice

– Gradius

– G-Darius

– Parasite Eve

– Saga Frontier

Would’ve at least liked to see Parasite Eve on here. Would’ve switched “Wild Arms” with “Arc the Lad” too

Customers who bought this item also bought: Raspberry Pi 3, 64gb MicrcoSD..

Mr. Driller and Super Puzzle Fighter 2 are both excellent games, thanks for including those. looking forward to seeing them with the rest of these titles on the 3rd of December. The absence of Japanese and US import games is nonetheless a glaring oversight and very disappointing. Sony is a global brand so why aren’t there obscure import gems here to pique the interest?

The music on this trailer is absolutely pathetic. The PS1 was the height of cool in the mid to late 90s, and Wipeout’s trance influenced dance sound would have been fitting. Pfft.

I’m excited about the PS1 classic and have preordered it, but I think this list could’ve been better. Games that I would’ve liked to have seen included:

a) technically great games that pushed the PS1 to the limit and still look quite good: Crash Bandicoot 3, Quake 2, Gran Turismo 2, Omega Boost, Rollcage Stage 2, Colin McRae 2.0, Rayman 2 The Great Escape, Wipeout 2097

b) more of those great RPGs and adventures: Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden 2, Alundra, Vagrant Story, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Azure Dreams, Megaman Legends

c) more 2D games: Rapid Reload, Castlevania Sotn, NBA Jam T.E, Open Ice, X-Com, Civilization 2, Klonoa, Tomba, Pandemonium 2, Einhander, Raiden DX, Nuclear Strike, Little Big Adventure, Worms, Lemmings

d) some of the missing all-time PS1 classics: Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk 2, Bushido Blade, Parappa & Umjammer La

How I wish this list should’ve read:

Battle Arena Toshinden

+ five more games:

Grand Turismo

Armored Core

Ace Combat

FEAR Effect

WipeOut

..-.still a solid group of games in the actual list.

MiseryPrincess 29 October, 2018 @ 22:39
30.1

Just not including the PS1 port of Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six (or 3 as it’s only 3 people) and basically any other game would have improved the list…

No wipeout!?

I mean c’mon, credit where it’s due, wipeout is pretty much responsible for the club generation buying the original PlayStation.

31.1

Yeah.

You messed up big time Sony.

NO Castlevania Symphony of the Night?

NO Wipeout? (any at all?)

NO Resident Evil 2?

NO Silent Hill?

NO Parasite Eve? (any at all?)

NO Gran Turismo?

NO Tomb Raider?

NO Crash Team Racing?

NO Dino Crisis? (any at all?)

Instead you have put some really bad ones in the 20.

Yes there are some cool ones like:

Final Fantasy VII.

Resident Evil Director’s Cut.

Metal Gear Solid.

Wild Arms.

Battle Arena Toshinden.

Tekken 3.

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee.

But seriously:

Mr Driller?

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?

Intelligent Qube?

Jumping Flash?

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six?

What is wrong with you Sony?

You have disappointed a lot of fans and lost a lot of sales this way!

johnnyhotrocks 29 October, 2018 @ 15:26
31.2

You do like to repeat yourself dont ya LOL.

LocutusReyBorg 29 October, 2018 @ 14:28

Order canceled

It would be a definite buy for me if it had the ability to buy and download a multitude of games but being locked into the 20, some of which I couldn’t care less about, it just seems like too much. There’s so many others that I’d like to play again. Tenchu, Suikoden, Kings Field, Tony Hawk, CastlevaniaSotN, Broken Helix (to hear the Bruce Campbell voice work again). I feel like if I bought it, there would be too big of a feeling of disappointment that it doesn’t offer more. I’d be better off buying an old PSOne or PS3 so I could get all the games I want.

Still doesn’t answer the most important question. Does Europe get the PAL or NTSC versions of these games? If it’s the PAL version then it’s a pass, can’t be bothered to play the games in slow motion.

While there been no official word, I’m pretty sure it will be 60Hz. Since North America and Europe share the same set of games, we will probably share the same machine as well.

Japan got Parasite Eve, this is not fair at all!

35.1

I got 2nd game of that game but ya I wanted 1st and not fair no buy

A bit disappointed it doesn’t include cult classics like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Suikoden 2. Not to mention numerous other Square JRPGs like Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics, Threads of Fate and Xenogears.

Sorry wont

be getting it because I got MGS1 , ff7 , gta , wild arms so if put wild arms 2 on consle I would got it because wild arms 2 never was reasle in uk . So I pass I just play my ps1 games on ps2 and PS3.

i give this line up 5 / 10 so much awesome games missing they put GTA i mean for real ? it was [DELETED]

I cant speak for all the games, but I know most of these never went away. I own some of them and am aware of others on the store. I could play a bunch on my psp,vita and/or ps3.

So true

Disappointed Sony, if you wanted people to buy into this $100 price tag you shouldn’t have pulled your punches with the game list.

But you let that fact that several of the true PS1 Classics already have remakes so you didn’t include them.

This applies to:

Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Castlevania, RE2

But at least I can comprehend the decision there is an explanation for it.

What DOESN’T make sense to me is why titles like:

Silent Hill, Suikoden 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Parasite eve were left in the cold

C’mon guys don’t just look at initial sales for what are considered “classics” look for the games that still have a following….I’m fairly sure “Ridge Racer” didn’t reach a lot of kids.

MiseryPrincess 29 October, 2018 @ 22:29
41.1

Final Fantasy Tactics was never released in Europe on the PS1, which might be problematic.

Ridge Racer was the first and one of the biggest (if not the biggest) arcade racing series on the system.

41.2

Revelations was never released in Europe either so you are wrong.

41.3

Aassuming you mean Revolution yes it was released in EU… I owned it.

Show more replies

Im not spending money on the console thought there are some good games on the list, Sony should just port them over to the PS4

I was going to buy this. But now I’ve seen the list, I’m not going to buy this. Good work Sony.

Carnivius_Prime 29 October, 2018 @ 16:39

Easy pass. Just like the NES and SNES ones were.

Hopefully it would be possible – even with some hack – to add any ROM.

counterUAVbaby 29 October, 2018 @ 17:55

I never owned a PlayStation 1 console ever in my life, but I know the history of some of these games. I’m really really happy with this list and I will definitely get one in February.

I’m very excited to play every of these games all for the very first time, especially Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Syohon Filter and Rainbow Six.

“Fun fact: there were 2595 games released for the PlayStation. When you’ve got a mini version with 20 games on it, that means 2575 didn’t make the cut, so all this “I can’t believe Game X isn’t on there” stuff I’m seeing is daft. You CAN believe it: the odds were against it”

JaimeTxuskeUK 29 October, 2018 @ 20:50
47.1

That is just plain dumb. Anyone can make a 20 games list that is a lot better than that. They just don’t want to bother with some licenses. It is another half baked product of Sony joining the ps vita, the PlayStation tv and many others

JUMPING FLAAAAAASH

Honestly pretty bummed out by that list so gonna cancel my preorder, all the best to those who enjoy it though :)

I don’t think it’s a bad line up at all, personally. There are a few notable absences, Crash, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo etc, but on the whole I’m pretty impressed.

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history