Posted

Dreams Early Access starts on 16th April

Media Molecule on the 15 things you need to know about next month's launch

Hello, CoMmunity! There’s one big piece of information we need to share with you about Early Access and of course, that’s when it’s happening!

So, without further ado, we’re thrilled to announce:

Dreams Early Access Starts on 16th April 2019!

We can’t wait to welcome you in to get creating and be able to have a game jam with all of you! We’ve been working on Dreams for a long time now and the core of Dreams – the creation bit – is ready. There is so much we want to do with and add to Dreams – but to start, we want players to be able to see their creations on their own TV screen and be able to have all the tools they need to make games or stories or art or music accessible from their couch.

The future for Dreams is exciting – so we hope that Early Access gives us the feedback we need to make Dreams an amazing space for creators and players alike for years to come. We know you may still have questions…we’ve highlighted some key points below to help you navigate Early Access and beyond!

1. What is included in Early Access?
  2. Early Access is exactly that. Early entry into Dreams, designed for creators to get hands on with the tools. It won’t feature everything that the full release will have (our story mode being a big piece of that) but you’ll get our full tool set for creating, our interactive tutorials and arcade games, templates and additional content created by Media Molecule and access to what you, the CoMmunity, made during our Dreams Creator Beta. You’ll also be getting the first hands-on with new features and content as we add them.

3. When is Dreams Early Access launching?
  4. Dreams Early Access will be launching April 16th!

5. How much will Dreams Early Access cost?
  6. Dreams Early Access will cost £24.99/€29.99/$29.99/CAD$39.99.

7. What is the age rating for Dreams Creator Early Access?
  8. Dreams Creator Early Access is PEGI 12

9. Which territories will Dreams Early Access be available for?
  10. Initially, Dreams Early Access will be available in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all European territories.

11. What languages will be supported by Dreams Early Access?
  12. At launch, Dreams Early Access will be in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. We plan to implement more languages, such as Japanese, as Early Access progresses.

13. How do I participate in Dreams Early Access?
  14. That’s an easy one! You’ll be able to purchase Dreams Early Access from the PlayStation Store from 16th April 2019.

15. Can I pre-order Early Access?
  16. No, but you can sign up for updates here.

17. If I buy Dreams Early Access, does that mean I get access to the full version of the game when it’s released, without paying any extra/twice?
  18. Early Access is intended for Creators who will participate and contribute to Dreams Early Access, and in return, will have the full version of Dreams upon release.

19. ….and when would that be? ;)
  20. Ooo, cheeky! We don’t have a release date for the full version of Dreams to share right now. But when we do, you’ll know about it! And then we’ll keep telling you. And then probably tell you another 5,672 times.

21. Will my Early Access / Beta creations carry over to the full game?
  22. Yes. Early Access is the launch of the creation tools of Dreams and this will then roll into the full version of the game.

23. Will Early Access include VR?
  24. Dreams VR is not included in the initial Early Access offering. It’s still planned for Dreams and we’re super excited for it. We’ll be sure to share more details about it as soon as we’re ready.

25. Is there any NDA for Early Access?
  26. No! You can stream, share and create to your hearts content.

27. How can I stay up to date on everything Dreams?
  28. We’ll update you on all things Dreams as and when new things happen! We’ll detail new features through blogs, streams and on our social channels, as well as on our feedback forums on indreams.me.

29. Is there a cap to Early Access? Is there a chance I won’t get in?

Dreams Early Access is limited yes, but it’s a big limit. That being said, to avoid disappointment, we do recommend you purchase as soon as you can to enjoy all of the creator tools available.

39 Comments
0 Author replies
Gutterkisser 28 March, 2019 @ 14:21

Thank you! Does this include Australia?

1.1

THC_PRITCHARD 28 March, 2019 @ 14:26

Do not miss this it’s amazing

Ive to buy 3 copy’s on psn store

WileyCoyote0984 28 March, 2019 @ 14:42

I’m in!whos with me?!?

ROAST-DEMALL 28 March, 2019 @ 16:45
3.1

Me.

Carnivius_Prime 28 March, 2019 @ 14:56

Hm. Yeah I’ll likely jump on board.

I’ll certainly be buying it. Not had a decent creation binge since LBP2. Sumo really screwed the pooch with LBP3.

I have been waiting for this release for several years. Recently I bought PS Moves specially for this game. Please, please, assure me that this early access will be available in Russian store too! Will it be??

Can you please tell me if materials physics react like in reality? for example, does glass break and shatter like glass? does metal bend and dent? does wood snap and splinter? Thank you

ROAST-DEMALL 28 March, 2019 @ 16:44
7.1

In my experience with the beta, you would have to create these things. For Example: Take an object, make it look like wood then animate it to snap and splinter. You can give it it’s own weight and flexibility. I’ve seen wood split, glass break, rocks crumble, metal bend, but these we’re all created by the user to do so and all in game. :)

Solid_Justice 28 March, 2019 @ 16:46
7.2

Dreams does not use materials like lbp. You can make everything you whant, but you have to animate and create it yourself

Will it be available to purchase at midnight GMT or some unspecified time?

ROAST-DEMALL 28 March, 2019 @ 16:39

Simple question: Multiplayer in early access?

Solid_Justice 28 March, 2019 @ 16:47
9.1

no online multiplayer in early acces. Only local co-op 2 players for now

9.2

You can also do 4 player local co-op as far as I know.

Beyond excited for this game.. Can’t wait to play it

You say 16th April is it worth me staying up to grab it after 12 at night on the 15th or will it be at some point during the business hours of the 16th

11.1

If it’s at midnight, I’m gonna be screwed for sleep!

Will I be able to import .obj files, so I can create in SculptrVR and use my work in Dreams?

12.1

Not 100% sure but I don’t think Dreams uses polygons so… probably not.

12.2

No importing of geometry but they said at one point they want to be able to “export to a polygon format”(I might be paraphrasing). But seeing as they have 3D printed models, made in Dreams, I would hope it becomes available to us at some point.

It is technically impossible for the engine to convert polygon geometry to the Dreams engine geometry, but entirely possible to convert from Dreams to a polygon format such as .obj. The engine uses SDF, Signed Distance Fields, or, Sparse Distance Field to describe the multiple volumes that make up a single object. Unfortunately that is well beyond my mathematical understanding of 3D. I am not even sure if the two SDF nomenclatures i mentioned are the same or slightly different. I think it is a sort of point cloud described by mathematical volumes (spheres, cubes, pyramids) and the render is done by casting rays from the camera viewpoint in as an efficient manner as possible.

No, I don’t think so.

Show more replies

If I will buy the early access and then there is some special edition with bonus content (we know that each game has something like this these days) will it mean I have to pay full special edition price to get this content? (I would expect that early access pays just for normal version of the game?)

13.1

I don’t think there will be any preorder bonuses, apart from price, for the full version of the game. It kind of goes against the ethos of the game of sharing the content created. But who knows? I hope not.

Hi just curious…did anyone who registered to be notified by PlayStation about this get their notification?

I’m a little confused on something here, so it says the story mode won’t be in early release but once the game fully games out those things will be given to you? If so EA Dreams here I come (^:<

15.1

As far as I understand, once you purchase the Early Access version of Dreams you can create, share and play user generated content. Once the final release of Dreams is published your Early Access version is updated to the full game, the same one that anyone else gets.

15.2

Early Access is purely for creators in mind so we can get to grips with the toolset and help test added features and improvements for final release.

This also means that for the non-creators/players, there will be a ton of player-made content ready for them when the final release does drop.

Globalisateur 28 March, 2019 @ 22:01

Do we need PS+ to play this ?

16.1

No, you don’t need it.

CyberTronX280 28 March, 2019 @ 23:28

This is gonna be a blast! Hopefully, I’ll jump right back into the Dreamiverse!

Not that many comments here on the date announcement Maybe that means the feeding frenzy on April 16 won’t be too insane and we will have a chance. I hope so.

Esto es triste y molesto,Media Molecule siempre te eh sido fiel a ti,comprando todos tus juegos pero esto…esto es un robo,acaso no se entiende por pruebas gratuitas? Eso es molesto,no todos tienen los fondos suficientes para ciertas cosas y uno que espera con gusto y hype este juego,pero salen con eso.

Will Dreams Early Access be released in the Middle East?

20.1

Read the blog post.

‘Which territories will Dreams Early Access be available for?

Initially, Dreams Early Access will be available in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and all European territories.’

So your answer, no.

The beta was most excellent. Looking forward to playing all the great content that will be created. The PS4 needed this. Nothing else like it!

So can we play the content that people create after the release of the early access, or only the content that has been created in the beta?

X-pertZamurai 06 April, 2019 @ 17:52

Will early access be available in India?

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history