Posted

An in-depth look at the 3dRudder motion controller for PlayStation VR, launching this summer

Foot-controlled peripheral launches 17th June, compatible with wide range of PS VR games

This June, we’ll release the 3dRudder. This officially-licensed foot-powered motion controller for PlayStation VR will kick your experience up a notch across more than 25 compatible PS VR games. Here’s everything you need to know.

An idea born in architecture

“I’m an architect,” explains company co-founder Valerio Bonora of the peripheral’s origins. “10 years ago I was in charge of redesigning all the metal work of one of Paris’s historical monument – not the Eiffel tower, for those wondering!

“I was sat at my computer using my hands to zoom in and out and rotate the structure over and over while designing it. My wrists were aching, and I thought: ‘this all would be much more efficient if I could move around in my project with my feet, and keep my hands focused on designing’. That’s how I started drawing the first concept of the foot motion controller.”

Fast forward ten years and here we are with the 3dRudder, which is coming to PS4 soon.

3dRudder

The peripheral’s design

The device is topped with a slim circular platform onto which you rest your feet. This platform rests on a rounded bottom half. The combination makes for incredibly intuitive movement: you simply tilt your feet in the direction you want to move. The more angled the tilt, the faster you’ll move.

It allows for life-like motion. You can walk straight, sprint while taking a corner or stop exactly where you want to, in a smooth, seamless way.

No sticks, no buttons. Inside the device are IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) and pressure sensors which track your movements and translate them to in-game motion. We’ve demoed the 3dRudder at numerous shows and events, and everyone who has tried it has commended the seamlessness of the experience.

To use the 3dRudder, you just need to plug it in to your PS4 console via USB. No additional setup is necessary.

3dRudder3dRudder3dRudder

How it improves your PS VR gameplay

Shifting motion controls to your feet frees up both your hands for action, giving you the possibility to move and act simultaneously.

Imagine yourself playing a first-person shooter with a PS Move motion controller in each hand. You come under fire. Thanks to the 3dRudder you can use your feet to dodge incoming attacks and leave your hands to concentrate on firing back, while glancing round for additional enemies. It’s simply a more immersive experience.

“It provides a different kind of gameplay experience,” says Mixed Realms, the studio behind Sairento VR (coming soon to PS VR). “The 3dRudder is an innovative device that provides a whole new form of movement for VR gamers. We see it as the hoverboard for virtual reality experiences.”

Carbon Studio, the creator of The Wizards Enhanced Edition agrees. “The 3dRudder allows for a more free, precise, and intuitive control: besides freeing up the hands, the controller allows for more kinds of movement.”

3dRudder

25+ compatible games at launch

Ultimately, 3dRudder is all about offering a new, thrilling experience to PS VR players. We are happy to confirm 25 PS VR games will support 3dRudder at launch:

3dRudder

And this is only the beginning: more PS VR games will be getting 3dRudder support in the future. The 3dRudder will launch on 17th June, with a RRP of £119/€119. Global pre-orders are now open on our website.

79 Comments
0 Author replies

And here I was, thinking VR couldn’t look anymore ridiculous.. :) To each his own, I suppose. I’ll stick to my joysticks over all this convuluted stuff.

1.1

Such a miserable person aren’t you.

1.2

Because I don’t like what you like and am honest about it? What are you, my shrink? We can’t all have a lack of standards and drop to our knees at everything presented at us ;) Have fun with your band of cheerful infants and stop replying to me if it’s not game related.

1.3

If you didn’t like it, don’t comment and go bother someone else.

Show more replies
QuietlyWrong 04 April, 2019 @ 17:16

“To use the 3dRudder, you just need to plug it in to your PS4 console via USB.”

So one USB for the VR, one for the rudder – that doesn’t leave any USB slots free on my standard PS4 for anything else like, say, external storage or recharging dualshocks. *sigh*

You could try a USB hub. A lot of us have them now.

QuietlyWrong 04 April, 2019 @ 18:42
2.2

Please go easy on the sarcasm.

The PS4 cannot connect to my external storage through my USB hub. A polite message tells me to connect it directly. I believe the VR is the same.

2.3

Yes they can. You just need a hub that offers USB 3.0, as that is what External HDDs and PSVR require.

Show more replies

So is it 25 games or 30 games supported? Make your mind up.

Do you have any idea if Skyrim is going to be supported, because getting this for small indie games just isn’t worth it.

xA_SMALL_DOGx 04 April, 2019 @ 17:57
3.1

Yes.I would also like to know if Skyrim will be supported..The rudder would transform my game with the move controllers

THE_ADRENALIN 04 April, 2019 @ 18:00

Support for Skyrim, Borderlands, Resident evil, Arizona Sunshine etc. in that order of necessity or I will also pass.

xA_SMALL_DOGx 04 April, 2019 @ 19:02
4.1

Yus.. So many possibilities could be opened with so many games that use the moves and locomotion.. Maybe we’ll get that port of Bioshock in VR with the rudder.. Imagine that

If this happens, I will buy a PS Pro, PSVR, and the 3drudder.

No Man’s Sky, Borderlands 2 VR need something like this. And Sony need to make their own version for half the price if they actually want to sell them and make it a standard.

THE_ADRENALIN 04 April, 2019 @ 18:04

Plus Doom, and many other Triple A titles which we have been lucky to get on VR. This device could change VR for the better but won’t unless it is properly supported, similar to the PSVR AIM which has just been supported by Borderlands and has increased the fun and immersion by 100%.

Would it really be so hard to slap glowing orb on top of one of those moves with the joysticks you guys already make

6.1

No, because the navigation controller doesn’t include any motion features at all. It’s literally just a shell with buttons.

txshurricane 04 April, 2019 @ 21:58
6.2

Do you have to comment on EVERY thread?

I was giving an answer. It’s a blog. It’s not like the blog staff are gonna reply, they never do.

Show more replies

This is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen!

No ! No ! And HELL NO! This is just too much, first they sell PS VR with no MOVE controllers, then the MOVE controllers are outdated because they were designed for PS3, and then you guys launch this…really, how much fragmented you want the PSVR owners?! I feel I payed to be a beta user of the PSVR, or a company releases a full packaged product or else just don’t release it at ALL!

8.1

This isn’t a Sony product, it’s by a third party but has official support and branding.

Yeah! Bundle it all together! So those of us with cameras and move controllers already can pay for them twice! Awesome idea! And the move controllers were not outdated. They simply had a different charge port from the PS3 era. Also, they do have bundles that have everything included so I don’t know [DELETED] you’re smoking.

I like the idea, especially if it helps reduce motion sickness for those who are affected, but the price doesn’t make it an impulse buy, £50 and I might be tempted!

Nice shoes

Just bought Acer WMR for $149, this cost $119 and still does not fully solve the issue with move controllers. noty.

What about the using ? Can I stand on this device ? Or the only put under chair and delicately put feet ?

I have bought PSVR for moving full body instead of sitting.

12.1

You can’t stand on it. Its a hard pass this thing isnt worth the money

I agree with many others, if not compatible with more games like Skyrim, Farpoint, etc not interested. Also, another USB port LOL I don’t have enough as it is. Lastly it looks kind of uncomfortable awkward height also looks like I’d want to stand up which won’t work. You’re going to have to work out a lot of negatives before I spend more money.

First of all it can’t be used if we are standing up so better stick to controller unless they come out with something i can stand on. And wayy too many usb devices and wayy too less usb ports on ps4. I hope they make something better for ps5.

What if they made shoes that are rounded on the bottom (like those shoes that are supposed to make your butt look good)? Lean forward, move forward; lean back, move back. Would have to figure out strafing. Maybe lean one foot forward and one back to strafe in each direction?

But click your heels together 3 times and it takes you Home!

14.2

Dude, having a balance board (actual exercise equipment) that people stood on would be a horrendous idea, especially for VR. The number of accidents would be through the roof. Losing your balance, getting tired, in the heat of the moment things (mind not connecting the leaning motion to normal muscle memory movement), getting startled (horror games), etc. and then tripping over with expensive VR equipment (possibly damaging it, something else in your room and yourself).

You clearly didn’t think that complaint through at all.

jamesparet007 05 April, 2019 @ 01:54

Is this a late april fools joke? All kidding aside, who was even asking for this?

Who brought the roll n rocker back from the 90’s

Galactic_Warlock 05 April, 2019 @ 06:28

I would much rather have a reimagined set of motion controllers than this but. I may try it, depends if it is bundled with something worth while.

I would definitely use one of these, but at that price, it’s going to be difficult to justify the purchase.

If they were around half that, I’d buy one straight away. :(

Since this comes out on my birthday, is there anyway you could send me one of these? I’ve really wanted to get into the PSVR stuff and with this coming out it would be a perfect time!

I double checked if this article wasnt from 1st April.

Someone stealing ideas from Ernest Cline / Steven Spielberg?

120 euro

Another amazing add on thanks Sony

23.1

It’s not Sony’s. Third party.

I like the idea of using my feet to move, but £120 for what is essentially a big analogue stick is too pricey.

The idea is nice, but at that price? Maybe if it was compatible with all games & you could stand up on it, I could justify saving up the money to buy one. But as it is? Nope.

This is a step in the right direction with regards to how we move around in VR.

Sadly I will not be buying it. With the PSVR already permanently consuming one of my USB ports, and my external hard drive consuming the other, there is no place for this controller in my setup.

If this is was a wireless Bluetooth device I would likely buy it just for the novelty of its unusualness.

26.1

Dude, just get a USB 3.0 hub. Pretty much standard use nowadays.

In theory, it looks like a good idea, but there are some problems with the design of this device if you ask me

#1 You can only use it seated.

So you need to sit, in order to be able to walk in VR? That seems counterintuitive for realism’s sake. Isn’t realism the whole point of VR?

#2 It seems aimed at casual gamers.

But do you think casual gamers will spend hundreds of dollars on a console + VR system and this peripheral? Only hardcore gamers will spend that amount of cash. And hardcore gamers want move controllers with analog sticks, not this.

#3 It’s a third party device.

With the next gen consoles on the horizon, we need to wait and see how many games actually are going to support this device. And the ones who do need to implement it in such a way that it will unmistakably be the players preferred option for movement. Otherwise you’ll end up with a hundred dollar paper weight.

Show full comment

#1 You can only use it seated.

#2 It seems aimed at casual gamers.

#3 It’s a third party device.

27.1

Personally, I want to use this to move around, not analogue sticks. It keeps my feet grounded and busy, and leave my hands free to do what they’re supposed to. When my hands are trying to move and fight at the same time, it doesn’t feel natural, it’s just cumbersome and overloads them.

There is NOT ENOUGH USB slots on a PS4 to accommodate this? Where are you plugging your Ext. HDD, your VR, your controller charger, your move chargers.

PS5 will be addressing the lack of USB slots I assume? But you need to come up with something better than “just stick it in a USB slot” – there isn’t any!

Carnivius_Prime 06 April, 2019 @ 21:01
28.1

get a usb hub like above comments suggest. and things like controllers can charge via wall socket with one of those usb things some phones come with or can buy separately or plug in a nearby PC’s usb socket. I can’t remember the last time I even plugged my controller directly into my PS4.

Didn’t I see the Angry Videogame Nerd on one of these over a decade ago lol?

Never tryed PlayStation VR so i can’t talk about something i haven’t experienced, but for VR players and developers this must be another tool that they can use to give us more realistic experience of worlds they are creating.. So from just from that its thumbs up from me

I honestly thought this was an April Fools I’d missed as I hadn’t been on website for a few days lol

MIGHTYMECHANIC 07 April, 2019 @ 18:32

When I brought the aim controller it was sold with the game farpoint. I don’t think I would have brought it without a decent game bundled with it. Especially as it is the only game I have used it on so far.

the 3drudder could do with a game bundled in as well . Maybe No Mans Sky would be a good fit if support gets added. This could be either sold as a physical copy or a download. I think they would sell a lot more that way which in turn would increase the support for this device by game developers.

Would be great if they could be used to emulate rudder pedals in games like Elite Dangerous and Ace Combat. But then again one could buy normal rudder pedals for that price.

33.1

Except those games themselves don’t even support the rudder add-on for the HOTAS 4, so this will also be a no-go. The devs need to update the game for them.

How about maybes making the move controllers more readily available, They’re as rare as hens teeth man.

Thats great. If it gets support for my favorites: Doom VFR, Killing floor incursion, Creed, Arizona Sunshine,etc… then its sure buy.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history