With the new updates to Apple’s OS for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Mac, PlayStation fans can use a Dualshock 4 wireless controller to play their favourite PS4 games on an iPad, iPhone or Mac via the PS4 Remote Play app*, and/or enjoy hundreds of controller-supported games on your Apple device.
In light of the news, we pulled together this list of frequently asked questions to help you understand how you can take advantage of the controller’s capabilities with your Apple device.
If you have any questions that aren’t answered here, please leave them in the comments below and we’ll try and address them in a future update!
What operating system do I need to use to play games on my Apple device using my Dualshock 4 wireless controller?
The Dualshock 4 wireless controller can be paired with your Apple device when updated to the following operating systems:
- iOS 13
- iPad OS
- macOS Catalina (coming October 2019)**
- tv OS 13
**Apple devices with macOS High Sierra or macOS Mojave operating systems will continue to be able to connect their devices to Dualshock 4 by using a USB cable or a Dualshock 4 USB wireless adaptor (sold separately) for PS4 Remote Play.
What games can I play with my Dualshock 4 wireless controller on Apple devices?
There are two main ways to play games with your Dualshock 4 wireless controller on Apple devices:
- Stream compatible PS4 games directly to your iPad, iPhone or Mac through the PS4 Remote Play app*.
- Play hundreds of games with MFi controller support, including titles coming to the new Apple Arcade subscription service***, on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Mac devices.
What is the PlayStation 4 Remote Play app?
The PS4 Remote Play app allows PlayStation fans to stream games from and/or operate a PlayStation 4 via a wireless connection on a PC, Mac or Apple device. This means:
- Displaying the PS4 screen on your mobile device;
- Using the on-screen controller and/or the DS4 on your mobile device to control your PS4;
- Picking up a paused game and/or starting to play a new one from the PS4 home screen;
- Joining voice chats using the mic on your mobile device.
What is required for PS4 Remote Play on Apple devices?
*Remote Play requires Remote Play App connected to Wi-Fi, compatible game, PS4 system with software version 6.5 or higher, iPhone 7, iPad 6, or second-generation iPad with iOS 12.1 or higher installed, and high-speed internet connection. A PS4 system with a wired connection via a LAN cable is also recommended.
Do I need a PSN ID to use the Remote Play app?
How do I pair my Dualshock 4 wireless controller with my Apple device?
If you are using a controller with your Apple device for the first time, you will need to follow the steps below to pair them together using Bluetooth:
- Make sure the light bar on the controller is off. If the light bar is on, press the PS button until it turns off. If a USB cable is connected to the controller, disconnect it.
- While pressing and holding the SHARE button, press and hold the PS button until the light bar flashes.
- Enable Bluetooth on your device, and then select the controller from the list of Bluetooth devices. When pairing is complete, the light bar turns a solid color.
Are all Dualshock 4 wireless controller features available on my Apple devices?
Depending on the Apple device, there may be some controller features that are not supported. These include: touch pad, vibration function, motion sensor, and the headphone jack for audio pass through.
Additionally, Apple users will still need to use your Apple device’s onscreen touch controls to access the PS, SHARE and OPTIONS buttons when playing games via the PS4 Remote Play app on some devices.
Head over to PlayStation.com to find out more about pairing your wireless controller with Apple devices, and don’t forget to let us know of any other questions you might have in the comments section below.