Posted

An update from Naughty Dog: The Last of Us Part II comes to PS4 next May

"This allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team," explains game director Neil Druckmann

To our fans, let me cut to the chase and get the news out of the way. The Last of Us Part II has a new release date of 29th May, 2020.

I know. It was just about a month ago when we had our big blowout for the game, letting media play over two hours of it along with debuting our new story trailer and revealing the release date. The positive response we saw from our community was overwhelming. You can feel the energy among the team members. After working on something for so many years, it’s invigorating to get a glimpse of validation for all the hard work.

However, it was during the last few weeks, as we were closing out sections of the game, that we realised we simply didn’t have enough time to bring the entire game up to a level of polish we would call Naughty Dog quality. At this point we were faced with two options: compromise parts of the game or get more time. We went with the latter, and this new release date allows us to finish everything to our level of satisfaction while also reducing stress on the team.

While we’re relieved that we won’t have to compromise our vision, we’re disappointed that we weren’t able to avoid this exact situation. We wish we could’ve foreseen the amount of polish we needed, but the size and scope of this game got the better of us. We hate disappointing our fans and for that we’re sorry.

We hope you understand that this additional time ensures that The Last of Us Part II lives up to our collective ambition as well as our commitment to the highest level of quality. We know the extra few months will add to what may already be an excruciating wait for all of us. We are grateful for your patience and continued support. Come next May, you will finally rejoin Ellie in The Last of Us Part II.

What did you think about this story?
57 Comments
1 Author replies

No problem, can’t wait!

Good news. Better than bringing it out and you guys are not happy with it. Plus it gives me chance to play Ff7 remake

No issues, Say NO to crunch||

diesto_cresta 25 October, 2019 @ 14:46
3.1

This a million times over.

Rather have the game right the first time.

Besides Doom Eternal changed to release at the same time as your original release….

so invariably you’ve removed a gaming conflict.

good job :-)

I’m more than happy to wait for a complete game, although i’d rather see this on PS5 instead, same with Ghost of Tsushima.

4.1

I think they’ll probably do the same as they did with the first game and release a “remastered” version on the PS5 at some point.

4.2

They did that because the PS4 was a completely different architecture to the PS3, the PS5 should only need a patch to enhance the base game.

If they do not confirm this is what they plan to do I will be holding off buying the game until after the PS5 comes out.

Carnivius_Prime 24 October, 2019 @ 19:20
4.3

Yeah I would hope a ‘PS5 version’ is the PS4 game just patched to higher frame rate/res whatevers rather than a full on separate remaster purchase. :)

Show more replies

Disappointing news, only because you guys rock and highly looking forward to your next masterpeice. Few months longer….. I’ll survive somehow 😌

5.1

We hope you do. Appreciate your understanding!

5.2

OMG, you mean replies are ACTUALLY still POSSIBLE on the EU Blog???

Whilst I would rather a delay than a unfinished game, this is the type of reasoning that makes me think [DELETED] are naughty dog/sony playing at?! How can you announce an exact release date and then 4 weeks later decide that it needs a delay?! Baffling decisions, should never have announced a Feb date unless they were sure they were going to hit it and it sounds to me like they knew it was too soon.

I don’t know what sony/naughty dog are on. Sounds like it was clear it wouldn’t hit the feb release date but they announce it anyway?! Who is running their marketing departments?! Clearly someone incompetent.

7.1

It’s tradition that Naughty Dog never meet the original release date, it’s part of there history😁

I for one, want it to release Nov/Dec 2020, so I can play it on PS5 and the new LG 48 OLED TV which is due sometime in 2020😁👍

Better a belated game than an unfinished game! I really want to play this game, but I also want it to be as good as possible, so take your time!

Ellie Edition The Last of Us 2 in Portugal Please

I’m waiting to play this on PS5 anyway, so this doesn’t affect me. Glad to see you’re fixing polishing upfront rather than in a patch.

10.1

If they do not confirm the PS5 version will simply be a patch on-top of the PS4 release, rather than its own release, I will be waiting too.

However good this might be on PS4 Pro, I really want to play in 4K 60fps.

10.2

Good luck trying to avoid spoilers that long!

Willhunting91 24 October, 2019 @ 19:34
10.3

I haven’t even played the first one yet I didn’t run into any major story line spoilers (i guess). I’m planning to play them when part 2 came out possibly on the PS5.

Show more replies

After playing unfinished releases like fallout 76 and WWE 2K20 this is the correct call.

11.1

i agree . yet you got people moaning . then if they did buy a brocken game they will be the 1st to cry about it

11.2

the delay isn’t the issue, its the clearly incompetent PR department announcing a firm release date that clearly wasn’t going to be made.

11.3

The Witcher 3 got tow major delays from solid release dates and still released fairly broken. Hell, a 12 months on and they finally made the inventory easier to get around lol. The PS4 version had to wait 6 months for a fix for that 15fps thing too. Delays don’t mean a lot today.

Massive respect to you for doing this. I’m all the more confident this is going to be a stellar game. Thanks for your candour. Looking forward to buying in May.

take as long as you need for this masterpiece

Take your time Neil… it’s all good.

Good….. NOW LET US PREORDER MORE ELLIE EDITIONS DANG IT!!!!!

Whatever you do, don’t overwork your team! It’s a videogame, people can wait. Also, if I’m ever going to play this, it’s gonna be on PS5. So plenty of time!

Say NO to crunch (and enemy doggies in games)!

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hugely disappointed.

But then it’s still preferable to having you release a broken or incomplete product. I can think of a couple of other companies who could learn from this so that EAch could prevent angry Fallout.

Endure and survive

Carnivius_Prime 24 October, 2019 @ 19:26

Understandable. I’d rather wait the extra few months than risk the health of talented game developers. We’ve heard so much about these crunch issues in other companies, I wouldn’t feel right about it here. Naughty Dog are being responsible and wouldn’t delay it unless they thought it absolutely necessary for the quality of the game on launch and taking care of their employees.

We can wait until the game is ready the biggest problem is that we can’t pre-order the collector editions of the game.I would like to take this issue very seriously and also sent the collectors edition to Greece.

Strangeheaven 24 October, 2019 @ 21:09

I don’t mind the game being delayed, please take your time.

I only ask if you can stick an Embargo on all YouTube “Lets Plays” for one month after the games release to tackle spoilers in random thumbnails. This game is highly important to myself and for many other fans.

Anyway, keep up the good work Naughty Dog and take your time👍

You do realise this is four months before the ps5 is released right? So why would i bother buying a ps4 game 😂🤦🏼‍♀️

22.1

Most people won’t buy a PS5 straight away so being on PS4 is essential, however close the PS5 release date happens to be. The first game was also released on PS3 in the same year the PS4 came out.

@S2060094

I can give you three good reasons to buy this on PS4.

1. You’ll get to play the game six months earlier😉

2. The game is most likely to be patched when played on PS5, to take advantage of PS5 capabilities. I can’t see them charging you again six months later for a PS5 game if you already purchased it on PS4. I think the only difference is, the PS5 version will be on 1 disc.

3. Avoid serious spoilers

I just hope my retailer doesn’t screw up my pre-order and I do get the collector’s edition. Otherwise – too bad but oh well ;) It would be better if it came out before the Final Fantasy remake though, because that one’s gonna take many weeks to finish ;)

I wouldn’t mind if Naughty Dog decided to release the game in November 2020. I much prefer to play this game on PS5 and on the first 48 inch OLED TV from LG which is releasing sometime in 2020😁

Also the PlayStation Meeting is in February 2020, where Sony is going to talk about the PS5 and the game to showcase the system is The Last Of Us Part Two. It would not be a good move to release the game on PS4 the same month.

I’m in favour for a November 2020 release for both PS4 and PS5 release of the game.

Absolutely fine with this. I’d rather the game be ready and get the extra polish.

Also it gives me time to get though a few upcoming games (Shenmue 3, Death Stranding, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Ironman VR and cyberpunk 2077).

26.1

Cyberpunk 2077 releasing in April???? 🤔

26.2

Don’t worry, Cyberpunk will be delayed WELL into the end of 2020 long before April gets here.

26.3

Cyberpunk 2077 coming out currently 16th of April, The Last of Us 2 coming 29th May. So about 6 weeks apart.

My favourite Infected Class were The Stalkers.

They are the most creepiest and intelligent of the infected Class, they were also rare in the first game. You only saw them on two occasions which includes the most scariest part of the game, the hotel basement 😵😧💩

I’m so happy that Naughty Dog are going to concentrate more with The Stalkers this time around😁

The Infected Class

1. Runners

2. Stalkers ( My Personal Favourite 👍)

3. Clickers

4. Bloaters

5. Shamblers

Mr. Druckmann and team Naughty Dog, believe me when I say that as a consumer in an industry that is plagued with rushed titles and incomplete ones, I’m thrilled that you guys want to rise above all that and deliver the product you set out make. I’m thankful and stoked!

Just like many of the comments in here, I cannot wait to get my hands on this game but it must be up to the standard that ND wants and not at the expense of their talented team.

No problem, better make it perfect than sending updates all the time. Can’t wait!!!

You must have known that when you announced the date a month ago that this was inevitable

News like these should always be a positive. Take all the time you need!

Just a stupid question for all that are saying they want it for ps5… What if the price for the ps5 is £1k even though it will not be. What if it was? Would you still be holding out for the ps5 one/patch for ps4 games

34.1

What if a meteor fall that’s full of dinosaurs, and they conquer us and destroy our civilisation.

Edit history