Posted

Minecraft Bedrock edition launches on PS4 tomorrow

1.14 update will be free for current owners of Minecraft, also introduces in-game Marketplace which offers worlds, mini-games, skins and more

Bedrock is coming to PlayStation 4 tomorrow! “Kelsey,” you gasp in horror, “you’ve given away the whole article in the first sentence.” Don’t worry, beloved reader of PlayStation Blog, there is always more!

“So how is this different from the version of Minecraft I can already play on my PS4?” The difference is that the Bedrock version of Minecraft is the unified version of the game that offers the same experience across all consoles. All that glorious, unified code means that you’ll be playing the same game as your pals on Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Windows 10, and mobile!* So, yes – that means you get cross-play between those different consoles. Not just that, PS4 players now also have access to the Minecraft Marketplace — a source for worlds, skins, mini-games, and mash up packs! So you’re going to have not just a better Minecraft experience than ever before, but more Minecraft than ever.

“What if I already own Minecraft on PS4, do I need to buy the game again to get the Bedrock version?” Short answer: No! The next time you start Minecraft, the new update will install automatically and free of charge. This update will never expire, and all game purchases after today for PS4 will always be for this new version.

We call this update ‘Buzzy Bees’ (or 1.14) and it’ll be arriving on PS4 tomorrow. Hope to see you in the Overworld soon!

*Cross-Play requires other platforms of Minecraft to be running update 1.14, including PS4 systems.

21 Comments
0 Author replies
Shazam-Superguy 09 December, 2019 @ 16:36

WOOHOOO now im happy cant wait to see all the new things :D

Where is the part that says you need an Xbox Live account for any of this lol? Its not even in the finer print at the bottom. So why DO PS4 owners need an Xbox Live account for cross play with just this game? I ask because it was never required in any PSN cross play game the past 13 years.

2.1

Yes, a free Xbox Live account is required, just like it is for other versions. I also had to create one to play it on Gear VR.

MiseryPrincess 09 December, 2019 @ 19:45
2.2

Probably because it’s a Microsoft game.

Just make sure never to put any payment info on it ever, even a paypal account.

Shazam-Superguy 09 December, 2019 @ 20:54
2.3

xbox account is needed for crossplay so if you dont like it go cry in a corner LMAO

Show more replies

what about the skins i have bought? will all of them work with the update, or will i have lost money.

3.1

I have the switch Minecraft too and yes it does work, do there will be some exclusive skins and world that only for Playstation users… So you cannot do to someone world on X box or switch with them. But it does now have a skin making of it own…. Do there are some cosmetics you will have to buy to put on your skin that you made, but there are also free ones too. I hope this helps you.

Hi sony thanks for doing this, im one of your console fans and tank you for putting bedrock on ps4, BTW this really ended console war 😅😅😅

What does this mean for the ps4 edition? Can I still play the normal version and mini games? Or what will happen to the battle maps that I bought?

Good to see sony has finally agreed to this ^_^

Finally! I’ve waited the bedrock edition since I’ve bought the game. Can’t wait to update

Still no Realms support

FullCowlReload 10 December, 2019 @ 12:10

What time will the update come out today?

When it comes to Europe? Im so happy, Thanks Sony!

Is this even coming out today or is this for tomorrow… The 11th December?

how do you log in with a microsoft acc on micraft PS4?

gamergirl32455 10 December, 2019 @ 20:49

So what’s happened to all my previously paid for skins ect which have now vanished. All that money seems to have gone.

Omegastoopreme 10 December, 2019 @ 21:03

OK does anyone else NOT have the ps4 version but the store wont let them buy it saying they already own it?

I was just window shopping as my son has the ps3 version which has been ditched and was wondering how much it was (though i do dislike the idea of having to pay for ps+ for it when the ps3 one is free online!) and noticed it said not eligible for purchase as i already own it???

O

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history