Posted 16 December

Digital Comics Service Launches Today

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce that Digital Comics will be launching today at 5pm GMT UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa! You can choose your favourite comics from hundreds of new and classic collections in Comic Store of PlayStation Store, and take hundreds of comics on your PSP anywhere you go.

[Update] Due to technical issues we’re sorry to say that the Digital Comics Service will not be going live in Ireland today. We will let you know when these problems are solved.

Choose from the battling superheroes of Marvel, including Spider-man, X-Men and the Fantastic Four, to Disney’s Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. You’ll find TRANSFORMERS and Star Trek from IDW, alongside characters from Titan, iVerse and 2000AD, as well as the latest underground sensations and works from local publishers.

You will also find some great free comics in the Comic Store.

With AutoFlow, you can enjoy an amazing experience. You only need to press one button and it will move your comic frame-to-frame, as well as zoom in and zoom out. You can also listen to your favourite music while you read.

Digital Comics

Head over to playstationcomics.com to find out how to get Digital Comics on your PSP, and check out the full catalogue, latest news and talk about comics with other fans.

Digital Comics

Enjoy a completely new way of reading comics with Digital Comics!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

54 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first
xKillerMonkeyx 16 December, 2009 @ 12:44 pm   1

Wasn´t this coming to the PS3 aswell? (PS if it does release in spain, lots of english live in Spain :-) )

Great :)

why hasnt this been released in the scandinavia at the same time? its not a localization thing :(

i hope we get it soon…

Launching today? Freakin’ awesome!

Can’t wait :D

CartBlanche 16 December, 2009 @ 12:50 pm   5

I’m also hoping that this will be available on the PS3. I’m really enjoying watching Naughty Dog’s Eye of Indra, so being able to read/watch comics on there would be a great addition.

In the immortal words of the adverts from RoboCop…”I’d buy that for a dollar… adjusted for inflation”

Mayumi Donovan 16 December, 2009 @ 1:39 pm

Hi CartBlanche, ninja-tom and xKillerMonkeyx

Thanks for your comments.
    Agree that it would be great to be able to view comics on PS3. We do not have a plan at the moment but we are looking into it.

Great news! Well done Sony!

Congratulations! Roll on 5pm ;)

Do you have a timeframe on when this might come to Germany and other non English speaking countries?
Will we eventually be limited to translated versions of the content, or is there an option for us to get it in the original English?

Mayumi Donovan 16 December, 2009 @ 2:05 pm

Hi, AKGermany,

We are planning more store roll out next year. We do not have the catalogue details yet. Please keep eye on pspinyourhands.com and playstationcomics.com for the latest news. Thank you.

Plus a PS3 release would be great, assuming I could download the same copy to both my PS3 and PSP…

I love you Sony. Please, ask Jack Tretton if I can have his children. I’m a dude, but we’ll work something out.

imajinetion 16 December, 2009 @ 12:57 pm   11

What the hell, my PSP downloaded the comic player, but now we in Scandinavia are not getting the comics?

Excellent. Lots of downloading for me today then!

@11

Apparently we in Sweden don’t know how to speak english.

Oh right, I forgot, Sony is a slow company, think of them as “Skalman” from “Bamse”.

Mayumi Donovan 16 December, 2009 @ 1:50 pm

HI Lemony, Noisepurge and imajinetion

We are planning to roll out Digital Comics in more countries next year. We are aware that there is a lot of interest from Scandinavian countries. Check out playstationcomics.com for the latest news. Thank you.

Any news on pricing?

GhostViper 16 December, 2009 @ 1:26 pm   15

Will this get to Norway sometime in the future?

Really looks cool ;)

When will you be able to play AAC/MP4 music files while reading?

Mayumi Donovan 16 December, 2009 @ 5:22 pm

HI Philbz,

unfortunately not. The below is the copy from FAQ section. hope this is helpful for you.

****
    What are the supported music formats in the Digital Comics application?
    The built-in MP3 Player can play most standard MP3 files. All normal sampling frequencies (32KHz/ 44.1KHz/ 48KHz) and bit-rates (32 – 320 kbps / VBR (Variable Bit Rate)) are supported.

The player also supports standard playlists in M3U, PLS or WPL format.

All music and playlist files should be placed in standard music locations (MUSIC folder). Subfolders are allowed in each of these locations.

mitch_uk_psn 16 December, 2009 @ 2:44 pm   18

Will be able to access the comic store via Media Go?

Ta!

Mayumi Donovan 16 December, 2009 @ 3:32 pm

Hi Mitch_uk_psn

yes, you can. you can browse catalogue on playstationcomics.com and click “Buy now” which link to Media go.

Sebastiantheking 16 December, 2009 @ 3:06 pm   19

Yaay, congrats guys, looking forward to this, and the PlayStation Home space you’re making as well

patokite91 16 December, 2009 @ 3:06 pm   20

yeah, a lot of people loves comic, but the other half loves manga…

would they been improved someday?

Icarus_Immortal 16 December, 2009 @ 3:11 pm   21

Is it possible to buy and download comics from an UK account, even though you’re accessing the store from a country that isn’t part of the launch of the Comic Stores?

I’m wondering because, if it turns out that we in Sweden get the Marvel comics in swedish (sometime in 2010), I’m going to buy them from a Store that has the comics in English.

Oh well, either way, I think I’m going to love this service… so many thanks to SCEE and everybody that made this happen!

Two words: friggen awesome!

Been looking forward to this so much.

Great! Looking forward to this. Can you tell me please if they will they be viewable on PS3, or do you need a PSP, and will you be putting trade paperbacks up-now or in the future? 2000ad has a fantastic backlog, that i for one would love to see. God luck with this

sansalove 16 December, 2009 @ 3:25 pm   24

so this launching for US around 5 right

bravo9zero 16 December, 2009 @ 3:26 pm   25

PS3=MORE SALES!
I’d say about 70% of people buy their PSP content from the PS store on PS3, including me.
It’s easier and content downloads quicker (PSP has awfuly slow wifi..)

Release this on PS3.

oooooeeeeeeeeee

that’s my delighted squeal :)

bravo9zero 16 December, 2009 @ 3:29 pm   27

I’m sick of Sony wasting good features on PSP:
RSS
Internet radio
Skype (Easy solution for X game-chat)
And this awesome comic service.

Start focusing only on Ps3 features Sony..

Ugh not being launched in Ireland. Ah well I can wait :)

So, why exactly is the link in the page to the maintenance error page of the digital comics site? :P

will we be able to download these on the ps3 or pc and transfer them over? because there’s no background downloading on psp.

Spurvugle 16 December, 2009 @ 4:09 pm   31

Can you guys pleas add funy comics too? Like Pondus (Norway)

Hahahahahahaha!!!
I can not believe that some people say that PSP has the best features instead of PS3, Oh my god!!! The most of features that PSP has and PS3 hasn’t, are features for portable devices.

Needs more DC comics..

Not Ireland!!! You build us up then knock us down.

Poland is also waiting. Don’t get fooled by the lack of Polish users comments here.

Ravenblade86 16 December, 2009 @ 6:05 pm   36

Really major congratz and thanks to all the team involved in bringing the Digital Comics to the PlayStation Network! Been super impressed with the free comics and now that I’m browsing the store I’m even more impressed, great amount of content at lunch and the pricing is fantastic!

That I can download Aleister Arcane issue 2 for only £0.79 is better than I could off dreamed of, big thanks has to go the publishers aswell for the pricing.

Going to be alot of money spent on this :)

Mayumi Donovan 16 December, 2009 @ 6:50 pm

Thank you Ravenblade86.

Just want to let you all know that the link of playstationcomics.com in the article above is not working properly. please can you type in playstationcomics.com on your PC instead. You can find out all catalogues, news and update. thank you.

please can you get DC on board? please?

wiktorclunk 16 December, 2009 @ 6:59 pm   38

Poland is also waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND ONCE AGAIN… PORTUGAL OUT! SAME THING, OVER, OVER AGAIN!
THANKS A LOT SONY!!!

i so hope this will get to denmark :o

hey, well done with the comics, loving the price, collection and service, well worth the money! I was just wondering, will there be any special offers? say grouping of the comics, like buy 5 of the same series for a discount? or graphic novels for some of the series? if not soon will this option be available in the future. keep up the good work guys!

Make it easier to find the comics to buy. Took me quite a while. Either make a separate comic book store icon on the XMB (just like the video store on ps3) or make it so you can buy the comics via the Digital Comic service its self.

oh and i agree with others, any news on DC comics, hope you get them onboard, would be a great collection and service to us super hero fans :P.

finally. Nice job.

Downloaded about four of the free comics, and a few others too – Iron man and Transformers to start with.

I’ll use those to get a feel for what I like – I’m a bit of a newbie for comics – apart from the Beano when I was little :)

WrestleBlog 16 December, 2009 @ 11:50 pm   45

Pleased to see this service has launched today, very exciting!! Have grabbed all the other freebies that were launched today so I shall work my way through them before making any purchases. Absolutely thrilled to see old-school Spider-man issues up, will definatley be grabbing them over time!! Hopefully soon we’ll have the same situation with Batman!?!?! :)

Thanks guys!!

ShaskaNeos 17 December, 2009 @ 12:52 am   46

Any ideas on when the comic store will be up and running in Ireland, please don’t say it’s sooner rather than later!!!!!!

Bomberman65 17 December, 2009 @ 1:23 am   47

Im having real issues getting the comics on my psp from the PS Store on media go. Ive brought 3 comics and when I download them onto my psp only 1 or 2 show up not all 3. Please help.

Mayumi Donovan 17 December, 2009 @ 10:07 am

Hi Bomberman65,

We will investigate this. Please can you let us know which comics you bought and which comic you have a problem? and can you confirm which country’s store you bought from? thank you.

mitch_uk_psn 17 December, 2009 @ 10:14 am   48

Bought around 10 comics between last night and today, will be ditching the paper based 2000AD for this service, loving it!

as soon as my store cards gets here expect a spending spree from me, some of those x-men titles look good.
reasonable prices too.
hope you can get dc and some manga title soon.
is there anywhere we can make requests for comics we’d like to see.
i’d like to see the new warriors series, v4 it features one of x-men i became a big fan of jubilee, she’s depowered now since the aftermath of the house of m but she’s using tech based powers.
i’d like to have seen more of her in the movies, rogue and wolverine seemed to have the almost father daughter bond that jubilee and wolverine shared in the comics, but i guess they needed rogue’s powers for the plot.

Ianasauras 17 December, 2009 @ 7:37 pm   50

Its been said a few times but we’ve got no answer! Why isn’t it available in Ireland today??? All the sites and news about it say it should be. INFO PLEASE!

Mayumi Donovan 18 December, 2009 @ 11:31 am

Hi Lanasauras,

Apologies for the delay. We are still having some technical problems in Irish comic store. We will let you know as soon as we have confirmation when we can launch Irish store. We are aware that lots of people are waiting and we are trying to solve the problems as soon as possible. Appreciate your understanding and patience.

Load all