Posted 1:47pm

Music Unlimited Powered By Qriocity Coming To PS3

Today at IFA 2010 in Berlin, Sony announced that Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity, a cloud-based digital music service, will be coming to PlayStation 3 later this year.

The service will give you access to millions of songs that are stored and synchronised through the cloud and can be accessed via PS3, BRAVIA TVs, Blu-ray Disc players, Blu-ray Home Theatre systems and VAIO computers, with one single account and without the need to manage digital files.

Further details, including exactly when and in which countries Music Unlimited Powered by Qriocity will launch, will be announced soon.

“We are excited to offer our customers high quality, cloud-based entertainment experiences across many of Sony’s network-enabled devices,” said Kazuo Hirai, President of Networked Products & Services Group, Sony Corporation. “Services ‘powered by Qriocity’ will revolutionize the way that users play, listen, watch, share, communicate, learn, discover and create their digital entertainment content.”

We’ll share any further details here on the PlayStation Blog as and when we receive them.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

94 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

Goodbye “CONNECT”

Hello…….errr.. “Music, err Unlimited”.

Please… change the name fellas

I wonder if you can listen to this music whilst playing a game!? Hmmmmmm……

James Gallagher 1 September, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

I don’t know how many questions I’m going to be able to answer around this as all I know is what was announced at IFA.

Sounds good, hope this will work in-game.

Excited, more details please :D

Will this and VidZone be competing?

James Gallagher 1 September, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

VidZone will still bring you music videos on PS3. This new service will add millions of music tracks playable across a range of online Sony products.

Will it be available in Poland?

I hope the UAE is in the supported countries. :(

turbogeek421 1 September, 2010 @ 4:42 pm   8

Spotify substitute?

wait so is this a service u pay just to stream music and not own it or is it free, confused

Can’t say I’ve heard of Qricity before. Is it a third-party or Sony service?

AllytheBruce 1 September, 2010 @ 4:43 pm   11

Interesting, although I imagine I’ll be sticking with spotify for the time being

RadioactiveMouse 1 September, 2010 @ 4:44 pm   12

Sounds like a brilliant service considering I have both a PS3 and a Vaio :)

That said I hope there are more connected devices that can leverage this service when it has been out a few months :)

DiscoMcDisco 1 September, 2010 @ 4:44 pm   13

i’m a little disappointed they havent annoucned an app SDK or the other services people already subscribe to… like Pandora and Spotify.. alos, has LoveFilm for PS3 been canned? or are they gona wait till people buy the Internet TV;s first??

I’m left with a lot of ponderings… IFA2010 seems to be full of nice stuff though.. 3D projectors etc etc..

I’ve noticed the Qriosity thing pop up on a few things recently… now at least i understand it better…

makingdamage 1 September, 2010 @ 4:44 pm   14

“a cloud-based digital music service”? I dont know how those clouds works but it sounds to me that you need to have a internet connection to listen to the music. If so I rather continuing down loading my music from iTunes so I can listen to it whenever I feel like.

Please The Netherlands! :P

Seems like the website of Qriocity only supports the United States.
Guess that’s why it’s only music,i really hppe the supported countries include all of Europe and some Middle East countries too. :3

AaronSOLDIER 1 September, 2010 @ 4:51 pm   17

Hope its ingame.

Once upon a time, after a routine PSN maintenance that took place back in June, the Qriocity logo was introduced in the PSN Login window when signing in to the Playstation Network (forums/blog) using a browser. Oddly, since Monday’s maintenance, the logo has vanished into this air.

Explanation?

Is this free or subscription based?

TehPhilosopher 1 September, 2010 @ 4:55 pm   20

Queue the “WHEN POLAND?” queries :P Not to mention “when Netherlands, Spain, France, Nordics, etc.” Music rights are a quagmire.

AnimaOnline 1 September, 2010 @ 4:55 pm   21

So Qriocity is for all of Sony’s cloud based services then? Sounds like a brilliant idea if it is. Would love to get a little Qriocity for my PlayStation 3 game saves. ;) Constantly backing them up to USB for safety gets a little tiresome after a while.

Always wondered why you PSN didn’t sell music. Browse and buy your music on your PS3 and transfer over usb to your personal music play. Seems like an easy money maker to me.

TalllPaul 1 September, 2010 @ 4:59 pm   23

Dammit tried to sign into the Qriocity site and it says it isn’t available in my country so hope the music thingy will be :S

Rockstarmd 1 September, 2010 @ 4:59 pm   24

Will this also be coming to the US?

Skookie30 1 September, 2010 @ 5:04 pm   25

This is FANbloodyTasic so i was right. my PS3 just got better & we had a long maintenance on bank holiday monday & this announce.

it will need a F/W update but will it add other features should‘t be 1 for the 3D Movies & 3D photos in september

& will it land tomorrow it uselessly does after maintenance. :|

extermin8or 1 September, 2010 @ 5:08 pm   26

um imin UK and it says its not available here yet either? um thats well unusual lol

I hope we can use this in-game or at the least when using the browser and viewing photos. However the more media options on our beloved black beauty the better ;)

if its free and ad based then yes, if not i’ll stick with spotify open

Don’t expect it to that many countries in the pal teritorries. We are to insignificant and besides, the music rights are usually spread out on different companies which makes it a hassle to organize. That’s the reason why we won’t get the movie store either.

imajinetion 1 September, 2010 @ 5:20 pm   30

Looks like it’s not coming to Sweden, according to the Qriocity website.

Will the most interesting part of Qriocity be coming to the PS3 also?, or is it only for the Bravia TV’s I’am of course talking about the video rental part of it…. couldn’t care less about the music part…

This service is not available in your conutry :-(

When: Firstplay, Video store, Comics or this?

SmoggyPhil 1 September, 2010 @ 5:31 pm   33

I’ll stick to P2P downloads, thank you.

@ my own question dont bother to answer, (video Qriocity)service only (as usual) availble in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK : D…..

James Gallagher 1 September, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

I honestly don’t know any more than I have posted here and I only found that out a couple of hours ago. We are told that further information will be with us soon.

@peyj – sony annonuced that the vidstore vil come to danmark (and other contrys) in 2010 – so i still have fate in that

So James, is this somewhat of a media server for our personal music files which can be played on many Sony devices?

Sounds rad.

James Gallagher 1 September, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

It’s a bit tricky for me to answer as I have already posted every single detail I know. It seems to me that it’s a collection of millions of songs, accessible via a range of Sony products such as TVs, PS3 and VAIOs, that lets you listen without having to download files, as long as you are online.

I think in the spirit of the holier than holy approaching Sony Qriocity Cloud, the very first track made available as well as the promo tune for the sevice should be The Orb’s classic Little Fluffy Clouds featuring the adenoidal reminiscing of Rickie Lee Jones describing her childhood in Arizona to PBS-TV. “They were looong and clear, and there were lots of stars…at night” (she actually provides a very horse-like whinny later on the track too)instoned La Jones, whom was actally suffering from a bad head-cold at the time(suuuure). The track heralded the creation of a whole new genre:Ambient House. I’d rather hear that as promo music than say Locnville, whom painfully yet flatly grumpled out their “set” in the Home Gamescon space to an agoggened audience of one, namely moi-même. It’s bad enough we’ve had “I got the Sun in my pocket and a star up my tights” thrummed into us endlessly for weeks whilst trying to dl & shop at Threads in Home, but their live yelping makes a bad track, pure torture. I’m looking forward to the impending cloud. peace…

Martingutten 1 September, 2010 @ 5:48 pm   38

If it is like Spotify: YEAH!
If it is like Itunes: nay… Not sure if spotify is widly known outside scandinavia, but it has totaly changed the view on music here.

Musaccccc…. I love this. This is awesome, Thax James.

Blackxino 1 September, 2010 @ 5:55 pm   41

PS3 cannot do multi task therefore Cross Game Chat is not possible or Custom Music.

Once again Sony lying by marketing advertising.

will we get the movie streaming functions of qriocity aswell!?

DANNY3194 1 September, 2010 @ 6:01 pm   43

I’m curious as to how this one will work out.

Can you listen to music through games I wonder…

But if its all through the XMB or some app, No thanks.

Croopnick_PL 1 September, 2010 @ 6:01 pm   44

I bet I never see it in Poland, just like VidZone, VideoStore and Qrocity

sully1311 1 September, 2010 @ 6:02 pm   45

Blackxino – Yes you can have custom music, and xgame chat is in development, it was going to be with PS Plus

Croopnick_PL 1 September, 2010 @ 6:03 pm   46

@Danny3194
We can’t chat across games and you want to listen music while playing? LOL not in Sony world.

Ahh I see. Could be a nice distraction.

I’m a bit over Vidzone so probably have little use for Qriocity. I tend to stream my own music through Orb which does the job well enough (of course, multi-tasking would be great so I can stream my media server AND do other stuff on my PS3… can only hope such functionality comes in due time.

How will this go in Australia? Vidzone is unplayable on my PS3, I’m at 1500mb/s and it sutters for a second and buffers for 10…

DeviantVanguard 1 September, 2010 @ 6:14 pm   49

This sounds interesting. If they can make it play during games then I’ll definitely be interested.

Actually before we have any new services installed into one of PS3′s waiting orifaces, can we actually have the option to purchase & install more ram into the poor frigid-proned device. It’s 256mbs of ram was a laughable amount 4 years ago on the machines inception(remember phats folks? Mine was murdered by Sony during the great lopen-year psn crash of feb29. Thanks Sony). Well I ‘d be waffling out Kate Mulgrew(the one time Capt Janeway whom plays Flemeth, the mage Morrigans mother so well in Dragonage:Origins) guffaws of laughter still at it’s puny though stalling efforts, if it didn’t constantly freeze-up in-gm & surfing, not to mention the torturous waiting/freezng of Home. Is ps3 going to be able to handle yet another application? I mean my gms music scores, dled ones as well as disc-bsased ones often glitch/trip along and the ps3 has taken to pausing the screen during some psn & disc gmplay too. Bring on ps3.5 or better yet ps4 supersystem.

Load all