Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:03pm

The Official PlayStation App, Coming Soon To iPhone And Android Handsets

The Official PlayStation App, Coming Soon To iPhone And Android Handsets

I’m very happy to finally be able to announce on the PlayStation.Blog that we will launch the Official PlayStation App very soon.

The app will be available to download for iPhone and iPod Touch with OS 4 and above, and most Android compatible handsets with a minimum of OS 1.6.

The Official PlayStation App for the iPhone

The Official PlayStation App for the Android

In version 1.0 you’ll be able to:

The first version (1.0) will be available in the following countries: UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and The Netherlands.

We are already working on the next version that will support most SCEE countries and languages, and will also let you comment on PlayStation.Blog.

There are tons more features we are planning to bring to this app in the next few months so keep an eye on the PlayStation.Blog for further announcements early next year.

I’ll be back here to let you know once the app goes live.

Oh, and I almost forgot to say that the app will be free to download! :)

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

325 Comments 34 Author replies
Show oldest first

Brilliant! Looks fantastic. Glad it’s coming to Android.

A suggestion however. It’d be really cool if you could use the app to access the PSN Store, in order to queue downloads from on the bus/at someone elses house/at uni etc.

Just a thought. Looks good as it is though :)

Finally!

Hopefully we’ll be able to have messaging features please?

Peskdale61 16 December, 2010 @ 4:09 pm   3

Great! A proper PlayStation app for me to use!

Oh cool that looks awesome. Do you know is there is any plans to do one for Blackberry users? Thanks.

Good to see even the 1.6 android phones are to get this too :) And the suggestion above for PSN Store queues is pretty good and worth considering.

let me be 1st or 2nd even 3rd to say kudos to SCEE it be a fine app to rivals to apple app. ;)

but is it psp friendly can it be on PSP as it needs a App as well maybe you working on it PSP-2 *cough cough wink wink* :)

Hmm why only “UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and The Netherlands.” That really doesn’t make any sense. If you don’t have enough translators, then just release it with English language in the rest of the countries, we are used to English apps.

GulfWarVet 16 December, 2010 @ 4:12 pm   8

woo hoo good job Playstation. Android FTW

It would be good if a future version of the app had more ability to control the PS3, like queue up downloads, stream music or video in either direction or to use the phone as a remote control.

poopoojee 16 December, 2010 @ 4:12 pm   10

Looks really good, anything planned for Windows phone 7?

GekooktEi 16 December, 2010 @ 4:12 pm   11

You guys rock! Great that it’s for Android as well.

Anything known about supported models? I have a HTC Wildfire, which is unsupported in many apps because of the 320 x 240 resolution. Could you tell me if that lower solution is also supported? That would be great, because else I’d still miss out on the fun!

KeizerKuzco 16 December, 2010 @ 4:12 pm   12

Great! I had already wondered why PlayStation was hardly available on the iPhone/Android phones. Can’t wait to check it out! And as a nice bonus it is available on day one in The Netherlands! Cool!

Skookie30 16 December, 2010 @ 4:13 pm   13

edit: Dam not even 4th :( my BB must be crap today lol

designheadache 16 December, 2010 @ 4:13 pm   14

EXCELLENT NEWS!

This is something thats been needed for quite a while now, thankyou for doing it :-)

SIR-DARK-HAZE 16 December, 2010 @ 4:13 pm   15

Any chance for the SE Satio to support the app?

wow i cant wait for this

its gonna be amazing when you can send your friends messages and when they reply back you get a push notification on the iphone

DiscoMcDisco 16 December, 2010 @ 4:14 pm   17

Sandeberg has it covered … i love that idea.. just a wifi remote (like MobileMouse) or even a proper bluetooth one.

Additionally, if i landscape it, will it show me the XMB layout.. cos that would be cooool ;)

Good idea well done for bringing it to platforms other than your own,

Remote Play APP next ? Please :) you know you want too!

That’s great! Long awaited and overdue.

I hope we get to message are friends soon and this is would be a far better way of chatting than using the in-game XMB!

Fantastic news!

CardcaptorStacey 16 December, 2010 @ 4:16 pm   21

Will a iPad version be made too?

RagingAvatar 16 December, 2010 @ 4:16 pm   22

This is the best news I’ve read on the PlayStation blog in a long while. Bravo gents – this is exactly what I wanted!

Cringles88 16 December, 2010 @ 4:16 pm   23

Awesome guys! I was actually searching the Android store the other day to see if there was already an app for this blog. Kudos!

Wow thanks Sony :) I paid for an unofficial app to see and compare trophies and friends etc, can’t wait to see this one :) Hopefully it’s alot better :P Although it’s free so I shan’t complain

Nice one guys keep it up and Merry Christmas

Nice! I was more or less following the PS Blog news via a RSS app but this looks much more handy.

addyjones1234 16 December, 2010 @ 4:20 pm   27

Good stuff, but a date would be nice ;)

Alastair- 16 December, 2010 @ 4:21 pm   28

Playstation 3?
There’s an app for that.

Great to know it’s free. Good job SCEE!

mrfight67 16 December, 2010 @ 4:22 pm   30

If only i had a PlayStation Phone to run this on… :P

@Emmanuel No worries. Guess I can use it as an excuse to upgrade my phone then ;-) Thanks for the speedy reply.

Awesome news, now I will get even done!!

canarianfrank 16 December, 2010 @ 4:24 pm   33

Any news on whether there will be an App for Blackberry?

Also would be good if you could see your PSN messages on the smart phone so you can send and receive psn messages without turning on our PS3!

Ooh, very nice! Free is great too :D

One feature I would LOVE is to be able to browse the store, buy games, and have them download to my ps3 before I get home. That would be insanely useful. You have background downloading on PS3′s at the moment, so It could be possible in theory :)

Thanks!

Even less done! Doh, so excited I messed up there!

Just in time for Christmas :D Thanks again for more gifts SCEE

I agree with Erroneous. I would very much like an English app, and I can’t imagine it’s only the language that’s holding back the release. In fact, I wouldn’t want it in Swedish at all.

I imagine that it’s some sort of staggered release so as to not overwhelm servers?

richard4481 16 December, 2010 @ 4:26 pm   38

Awesome , been using a non official one for quite awhile and its very handy :)

Thanks for the reply, guess I can wait for version 1.1, just hurry up, this is exiting news :)

Sweet :D You could also try adding a Singstar remote-app (like the one which works with psp), it would be so cool to sing non-stop :) :D

In 1.2 will be able to message friends on our psn list?PLEASE SAY YES!!!

briankearon666 16 December, 2010 @ 4:30 pm   42

Is Ireland included in the initial group of countries? I dont see why not. Same as the UK.

Godchild1020 16 December, 2010 @ 4:30 pm   43

I’m in the US, will I be able to download this app from my Android and Iphone.

Questions:

1) Can you see your friends’ trophies and trophy level on the APP?
2) Can you send and read PSN messages from the phone? If not, that would be a good feature to add in the future.
3) Is there a way for your friends to see you’re using the PlayStation APP? Like when you’re playing a game they can see which game you’re playing. If not, that would be another good feature to add.

Really excited about the app! Thanks, PlayStation. :)

Emmanuel Orssaud 16 December, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

1/ yes
    2/ no unfortunately we can’t do that at the moment.
    3/ no but that’s a really good idea :)

imajinetion 16 December, 2010 @ 4:31 pm   45

I want to browse the Playstation Store on my Iphone, why can’t this app do that?

shotgun_69 16 December, 2010 @ 4:31 pm   46

I’m guessing this app will come as standard on the Sony Ericcson Playstation phone ;)

Super--Brad 16 December, 2010 @ 4:33 pm   47

I have designed an Android app which basically does the same, minus the blog part lol.
Great job Sony, now release a friendly PSN api for us to use? :D

Mikelarry85 16 December, 2010 @ 4:33 pm   48

cool its about time they created an official app that offerd those services

mcwildcard 16 December, 2010 @ 4:35 pm   49

Will it be possible to log into my PS3 remote play style, and queue downloads in the PS Store, or set recordings on my PlayTV?
If not, are these functions being looked at for future updates?

(I’m not fussed about being able to watch any media, or play games, just the remote play functions above)

Great that you guys are making an official app for this. I’ve been wanting one for a long time.

But. Why on earth doesn’t you release version 1.0 in countries where English is a very strong secondary language? Do you have any release window for version 1,1 and can you confirm Norway on that list?

Load all