Posted 3:01pm

Dark Souls Hits PS3 Today, Meet Its Darkest Demons

“All the monsters I design, from Demon’s Souls to Dark Souls, are beautiful to me no matter how gruesome their appearance.” Dark Souls Director Hidetaka Miyazaki shared this bit of insight with me earlier this year in a PlayStation.Blog interview and the quote has bounced through my brain for more than six months. Since then, I’ve been wanting to get a closer look at the game’s stunning creature designs, all of which are plucked from the further reaches of Miyazaki’s fevered imagination.

Luckily, today’s the day. For the viewing pleasure of PlayStation.Blog readers, From Software and Namco Bandai have collected a host of rare concept artwork accompanied by design notes from Miyazaki himself. Miyazaki also wanted to pass along a greeting just for PlayStation.Blog readers: “I am hoping all of you experience meaningful deaths many times in the game. I know that the game is challenging, but I want you to keep trying to overcome any difficulty you face in the game. And please feel a great sense of achievement when overcoming a difficulty!”

Read on for the full gallery. If you do pick up Dark Souls, keep us updated with your character build, equipment, and winning strategies. I have a hunch we’ll be needing all the help we can get…

Dark Souls for PS3: Gaping Dragon

Dark Souls for PS3: Gaping Dragon

Hidetaka Miyazaki, Director, Dark Souls: These are the preliminary designs for the Gaping Dragon. The story goes that there were many ancient dragons in this world, and after many of them perished, the few survivors went mad. This is just one of the many designs we came up when discussing how they went mad.

Dark Souls for PS3: Snake Man

This is the Snake Man. He was designed as another one of the “failed experiments” for obtaining the immortal scales of the albino dragon Seath the Scaleless. It’s referenced in the rings inside the game, but the image of a snake with scales that sheds its skin overlaps with the immortal ancient dragons. Compared to popular snake-human designs, its neck is much thicker, which I like.

Dark Souls for PS3: Crystal Undead

This is the Crystal Undead. Like the Snake Soldiers, he was designed as one of the “failed experiments” for obtaining the immortal scales. Snake Soldiers were one of the earlier designs, so they (along with the Crystal series) embody the later designs in the game. Visual allusions to the dragon Seath and crystals are a major theme in the Duke’s Archive and Crystal Cavern.

Dark Souls for PS3: Sealer

This is the Sealer. This design was inspired by the theme of “mage of lost rituals.” In the end, it gained the role of sealer, and was assigned with the ritual of curse-breaking.

Dark Souls for PS3: Havel's Armor

This is Havel’s Armor. His design came from the theme of “an ancient soldier of stone.” I particularly like his large crested helmet.

Dark Souls for PS3: Bell Gargoyle
Dark Souls for PS3: Bell Gargoyle

This is the Bell Gargoyle. This boss was designed after we decided to include a scene where you fight on a church rooftop. The gargoyle motif perfectly fit that situation, as well as what was required for the game. He’s one of the earlier bosses you’ll fight, but we wanted him to convey the ambiance of Anor London in that he’s the embodiment of the medieval ages in a world of knights and kings.

Dark Souls for PS3: The Egg-Bearer

This is the Egg-Bearer. He came about during a flood of ideas with no one particular theme. His design is without a doubt shocking, and many more ideas came from him.

Dark Souls for PS3: Embraced Knight

This is the Embraced Knight. The story went that this knight received divine protection from a goddess, but then we started to think about adding something twisted or unexpected to the design and that’s where we got the idea to have the embracing arms of the goddess designed right into his armor. His armor inspired the creation of the character Lautrec of Carim.

Dark Souls for PS3: Dragon Zombie

This is a Dragon Zombie. Like the Gaping Dragon, the story goes that after many of the ancient dragons died, the few survivors went mad. This is just one of the designs we came up when discussing how they went mad. We decided to go with the straightforward “descendant of dead dragons” design, but we also wanted to go with elements that felt almost metaphysical.

Dark Souls for PS3: Titanite Demon

This is the Titanite Demon. He was the product of a lot of brainstorming when we weren’t able to narrow down the theme. From the game perspective, we needed “an ore demon that forges weapons,” and he was ultimately selected for that role.

Dark Souls for PS3: Black Knight

The Black Knight. At first, he was designed to represent an evil spirit. We pictured it as the grudge of fallen soldiers amassed together to become the hollow Black Knight. That idea ultimately didn’t take shape, but it was such a cool idea that it we eventually tweaked it for King Gwyn’s knights.

Dark Souls for PS3: Gravelord Nito

This is the Gravelord Nito. He was designed with the theme of “Lord of Death.” I remember his first drafts being approved without many revisions. A rare treat!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

57 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

BLEACH-Fan 4 October, 2011 @ 3:07 pm   1

Wait it’s out today!?!?!?

iriihutoR48 4 October, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   2

My copy won’t be shipped from Amazon(.co.uk) until the 6th. :’(
I’ve had this preordered for months and I can’t wait to finally play it!

RobbySpry 4 October, 2011 @ 3:16 pm   3

The most amazing RPG of all time just beat itself with its second version!

I have checked around some online stores and most of them sell it on the 6/7 in Europe and UK; so far it is out today only in America!

Would love to play the game today but the official european release date is the 7th isn’t it?!

Huono_peleis 4 October, 2011 @ 3:26 pm   6

This is a copy&paste from the US Blog.

Could’ve sworn I clicked on the EU blog.

almighty-slayer 4 October, 2011 @ 3:34 pm   8

Nice copy and paste!

@6
Well, that explains it.

geddesmond2 4 October, 2011 @ 3:39 pm   10

I’m really disappointed in how they switched the collectors edition game guide and making of videos to digital copies just weeks before launch. I pre ordered this game months ago thinking great another good collectors edition that will sit nicely with my Demon Souls collector edition.

Now I feel cheated with false advertisement. What good is a digital copy when you can already access a Dark Souls wiki with better information on the internet.

Other than that I’m very excited about playing Dark Souls. I just hope developers stick with things they promised from the get go.

Tenchuwoh 4 October, 2011 @ 3:45 pm   11

This game has been developed by FROM Software.Its pretty obvious that they were working a lot of time for this game.Probaby i will buy it cause it looks really cool! :D
BUT,why From Softoware & Acqurie dont work so hard for a new Tenchu game?They both have done their new games.They got time now to release a new Tenchu game.take your time,just like you did in this game….;)

Silent_Gig 4 October, 2011 @ 3:53 pm   12

I cant WAIT to get my copy. Its gunna be my best game of the year!
Gunna plat this like i platted Demons Souls =P

King_Ubu 4 October, 2011 @ 4:18 pm   13

Whilst I’m excited and don’t doubt the quality of the game.

How about next time we get advanced warning that all the pre-order content has changed/removed instead of waiting until all our pre-orders get charged?

And by today, you mean Friday. A bit lazy to copy-paste the NA post without fact checking.

Capt_Darling 4 October, 2011 @ 4:52 pm   15

Does anyone actually fact check before posting these articles, it is out in NA today and EU on Friday.

As for the Collectors/Limited Edition, yes it is annoying that the goal posts have been moved (well drifted more like) and the digital guide now provided just seems a marketing ploy to entice you to purchase the full guide. Pretty sad although it looks an awesome game and the upgrade was free but I feel people still have a right to be angry.
However unlike the US/NA release we are getting the soundtrack & “making of” on physical discs.

monoliet 4 October, 2011 @ 4:58 pm   16

friday europe
but 9/10 turstay i wil get .
also no guide = berkkkkk
but i wil not pay for guide , i go looking internet ( utube ext….)

flamingcarrot 4 October, 2011 @ 5:37 pm   17

The game is going to be immense, but it would be nice to have even a token acknowledgement that you are addressing your European customers on here.

Copying and Pasting from the US Blog is pretty disrespectful, not to mention lazy.

polynski 4 October, 2011 @ 6:08 pm   18

looks good and id buy it if i could but i cant buy every game…shame tho i would have quite a collection if i could

Akira_Tenshi 4 October, 2011 @ 7:55 pm   19

Did you just copy/paste this from US blog? Dark Souls is out on Friday. Giving false information to people is very unprofessional.

ShadowDoGGG 4 October, 2011 @ 8:16 pm   20

James Gally couldn’t be bothered to localise this?

chrisandsheva 4 October, 2011 @ 8:55 pm   21

i have to admit that this game looks very tempting i would like to play more rpg’s except i hate it that most i have tried have a very boring battle/fight side to them, but what i read about Demon Souls makes me think that this and that (DS) will be diferent,..i came Very close to buying a pre-owned Demon Souls just a few weeks back,..but my concern was i’d either get [Deleted] by someone joining my game or the help ie clues left by other players, which i would sorely need would not be available, due to the online bieng dead,… is anyone still playing Demon Souls as if so i may just pick it up,..then if in say 2years,?..or so lol. when i’ve beaten it get Dark Souls,.. i asked for help on the skyrim blog last night ,ie possible games i could check out but sadly no one replied,.. i just want a rpg with a good fighting swordplay mechanics,..not like origins or elder etc,..

CoolRichy007UK 4 October, 2011 @ 9:32 pm   22

hello darling @Capt_Darling lol aka blackadder fan

These designs are [DELETED] awesome

Too bad it’s got online. Because then you will have to play with people who lag: The most valued customers Sony have.

Remember that the next time a black phantom stabs you in the back from the front. Sony likes this because they believe they earn more money by not locking out people who deliberately throttle their connections.

So – like with any other Sony title with online: no buy.

bennyrafal 5 October, 2011 @ 5:11 am   25

Those Egg thing…. is sick, someone call a doctor, give medicine to this poor designer….

Well i dont think this info is false guys … Copy of the game was sent to me yesterday from online shop and today i’ll should get it in my hands ;)

RevSchroedter 5 October, 2011 @ 10:07 am   27

Hi SCEE, when copy/pasting SCEA posts please make sure to amend/remove information not applicable to your territories. Unless you actively strive to confuse your customers that is. FS.

So if this is correct I can purchase this game today? I need to get 4 busses so if this is lies please say.

DAYDANNY666 5 October, 2011 @ 11:33 am   29

Still Loading…
Please Wait Loading…
Done
your internet browser is out of date
Please Upgrade
OK try other website here i go
Still Loading
Takes about 6mins
This page cannot be displayed
Refresh
Still Loading…
Please wait Loading…
This page cannot be displayed
your internet browser is out of date
Please Upgrade
PS3 is failing no games i call it the slow laggy loading piece of crap with out of date internet browser and over priced games and to many ports with lots of disappointment.
Someone tell me how i can have fun on that and im not going xbox they fail even more.

DAYDANNY666 5 October, 2011 @ 11:38 am   30

oo______oo_____oo__oo__oo______
oo______oo_____oo_oooo_ooooooo_
_______________________________

Catkiller1 5 October, 2011 @ 11:42 am   31

LOL @ DAYDANNY666 ;)

Skookie30 5 October, 2011 @ 11:44 am   32

i can just about make that out even with my weak eye. it says…….

YOU FAIL

TheKillerSnowman 5 October, 2011 @ 11:47 am   33

i don’t like RPG games so this game is not for me.

@ DAYDANNY666
6 mins to load a website? That’s nothing to do with the PS3, it’s mummy and daddy having a 3 meg broadband. Get a job and pay for the upgrade yourself.

helghast102 5 October, 2011 @ 11:56 am   35

“Dark Souls hits PS3 today”
Could have at least changed that during the copy/paste from the US blog…

Weasel-Dave 5 October, 2011 @ 12:06 pm   36

@TheKillerSnowman, thanks for the info. btw I don’t like purple or stag-beetles!

GenocideHeart 5 October, 2011 @ 12:33 pm   37

@fleinn: where I live, the best connection available is a 7.2Mbps UMTS connection, and it’s not my choice that makes it slow. Has it occurred to you that people who lag may simply NOT HAVE A CHOICE? Do you think I have FUN having to wait 6 hours for a 400MB download to complete? Because if you do, then congratulations: you just joined that chosen circle of narrow-minded holier than thou human beings who don’t have a goddamn clue and need to get out more and realize that not everyone has highspeed 100Mbps connections in the world, and some simply make do with what they DO have.

i have been tempted so many times to buy demon souls but not sure if i should, whats the story of the game? what are the good and bad points of demon souls?

chrisandsheva 5 October, 2011 @ 12:49 pm   39

@flien,….post23,.. can you tell me if this is ‘maybe’ one reason that i also hate playing online,..ie while playing a few fps’s or other kinds like U2 etc i’ve found myself directly behind a ‘enemy/player and have blasted them full of bullets,.. only to watch in disbelief as they turn around and 1 shot kill me,?.. i allways thought that with some people using hidden glitches or just basically somehow cheating,..like using aimbots and other kiddies toys,.lol.. that i was having a lot of bad luck by nearly allways playing in a online match where i Allways see something unfair/wrong,.. but if what your saying is true then it is sony’s own failure that causes this,?… btw my ‘avarage’ speed is around 18mb, in case that may also factor into it,… i am truly intrigued by what you have said and would like more info, maybe a link or address to a site that may explain this, or if you can then a post,… i allways now (when i do) play my multiplayer titles on x-box as it somehow felt like i was,..well,..lol.. a better player on that console, ..but seriously if i am losing out using my ps3 due to Sony i need to understand why fully,..thnx.

ocelot07 5 October, 2011 @ 1:19 pm   40

@sevorg2 Not much of a story. Demon’s invade the world and you (a demon slayer) has to remove them from the world. That is pretty much it. But the game is a 10/10 for me. The good points is pretty much everything about the game it is hard to fault. But there is a few so the bad points are. There is certain ways to kill bosses very cheaply and without and real effort. There is no DLC for the game. The game is not for everyone. It can be really hard for some and they just give up and trade it in.

ocelot07 5 October, 2011 @ 1:24 pm   41

@23 it must be your connection. I know a lot of games lag as they do for me from time to time and am on 50mb BB. But Demon’s Souls is not a laggy game. I have had not problem defending my self against invading black phantoms and have never noticed any lag. Same goes for my friend he is only on 7mb bb. He has never had any lag on there. So it might be your connection.

thanks for answering my comment ocelot07

UIUoOoUIU 5 October, 2011 @ 1:57 pm   43

PS+ update?

windsorblue01 5 October, 2011 @ 2:03 pm   44

ps+ updated in store

monoliet 5 October, 2011 @ 2:03 pm   45

today new store update
but sony stil fail to unlock free realms in belgium
was gone try en maby if i like buy abo.

monoliet 5 October, 2011 @ 2:06 pm   46

1 ting i dislike = why not every carakter starts at level 0 ?

SlickShoes 5 October, 2011 @ 2:21 pm   47

I just found that Sealer armor last night it looks awesome, sadly I found even better looking and statted armor straight after so its just sitting in my backpack!

The game is amazing, the rush of killing a boss you have been failing at all night is brilliant!

monoliet 5 October, 2011 @ 2:33 pm   48

wen u see u first dragon u have one place wher u are abel to hit is tale whitout him atack u , u simpel need 1 bow lots of arows en go under bridge ;) = good secret sword

bigjob85 5 October, 2011 @ 2:35 pm   49

I can’t wait to play this. I’m still struggling with False King Allant in Demon Souls. Hopefully I’ll beat him before friday. I’m still going to go back to Demon’s Souls as I’m determined to platinum it and maybe this. Either that or to eat my controller in sheer frustration.

monoliet 5 October, 2011 @ 2:59 pm   50