Posted 2:00pm

StarDrone Extreme Launches For PS Vita Today

Hello again! Alexey Menshikov (Beatshapers) and Andriy Sharanevych (Orb Games) here. We are super excited to announce that long-awaited StarDrone Extreme for PlayStation Vita will be released today.

For those of you not familiar with what StarDrone Extreme is about, here’s a brief: you pilot the always-in-motion spaceship through diverse cosmic environments in order to beat each of the game’s 60 levels’ goals. Goals can range from getting to the end of the level, to destroying all enemies, to collecting certain items.

Each level starts by aiming and shooting yourself into the outer space from a cannon. Your spaceship is always in motion from this point on, and it’s your job to attach to nearby gravity beacons to navigate your flight path. While tethered to a beacon, you can swing and attempt to circle the beacon until you release and slingshot yourself further. This core mechanic allowed us to bring together elements of shoot ‘em up, pinball, collecting objects and exploration in one game that has no counterpart anywhere in the world.

stardrone_extreme_screen12 stardrone_extreme_screen11

stardrone_extreme_screen02 stardrone_extreme_screen01

The game controls are very intuitive and clear – you just pin the desired beacon with your finger, then release it, and physics does the rest. And you can also switch to using rear touch panel, if you like. We have two modes for rear touch panel controls. One is similar to using the touch screen, and another one uses the whole rear touch panel as a single button. In the latter case, when you tap somewhere, the game executes a special prediction algorithm to automatically select the beacon most likely aimed by you.

For StarDrone Extreme we’ve created a bunch of brand-new exclusive levels. In addition, we’ve fine-tuned and revamped levels from the PS3 version of the game according to players’ feedback. The PlayStation Vita version has all-new UI and improved visuals. Other cool features include: adjustable skill setting, so the game is not that punishing when you make mistakes; ability to skip current level when you get stuck; and a lot of other things we’ve polished and improved.

Also, the critically acclaimed PlayStation 3 version of StarDrone is being updated to introduce Cross Play, allowing you to save and resume your current progress between the two platforms.

StarDrone was released on PlayStation 3 about a year ago, featuring PS Move motion controller support. The updated game also includes brand-new levels, new tutorial levels and two new music tracks, while the PS Vita version fully supports the custom background music feature.

Finally, here are some reviews of the PlayStation 3 version:

Eurogamer – 8/10
The Sixth Axis – 8/10
Push Square – 3/4
Terminal Gamer – 8/10

Stardrone for PS Vita is available from today, priced at €3.99/£3.19. You can get more information on http://www.stardrone.net/.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Do I get both versions (Vita and PS3) when I buy the Vita version?

And: Is the difficulty lowered?

Most PS3 reviews talk about extreme and frustrating difficulty.

FrIeD-GoAt 11 April, 2012 @ 2:31 pm   3

Yay, I love star drone! I also love we got this instead of the US stuff. When are we getting summoni? Also when’s the vita version of pure chess coming? I will buy that if it’s soon.

FrIeD-GoAt 11 April, 2012 @ 2:45 pm   4

Just realise this is not the headsup, good job beatshapers I will be buying this immediately and cannot wait! I’m sure using my fingertips will make the harder levels easier. Expect to see me on the leaderboards soon.

Great price.

joshualeuty96-2- 11 April, 2012 @ 3:59 pm   6

Will be buying this once i have the pennies! Loved Stardrone on the PS3 :)

Beatshapers 11 April, 2012 @ 4:03 pm   7

Thanks guys!

@Yeroon
Unfortunately, for now PS3 and PS Vita SKU are separated.
Yes, there is a difficulty switch on the Options. Hard is original difficulty. But playing on Easy you’l get twice as low score points.

chrisandsheva 11 April, 2012 @ 4:28 pm   8

When was this game started on please ?… Only i should imagine a simple/cheap priced game like this (honestly no insult meant) wouldn’t take long at all to put together, esp if using the original ps3s codes or ‘whatever’ you devs call it… Only with this just magically appearing today, with nada previews nor mentions off the store team.. well i guess i just maybe see stuff a bit ‘different’, .. ie ppl making lots of noise over the (supposed!) lack of new content for the (month old) new vita and so on… Anyway am not into these games, but i wish you well with it… personally i just want uncharted/resistance kinda games, But would make an exception for the chess game thats on ps3 today… esp with multi,

mlataupe 11 April, 2012 @ 4:58 pm   9

Does the Vita version have trophies?

Congrats for releasing your game.
Great price I’ll probably be picking it up asap.

9# Yes it will have trophies.

According to the SCEE release list, StarDrone Extreme isn’t going to be released in Australia or New Zealand today. Is there a plan to release it in Australia and NewZeland at a later date?

evilMario 11 April, 2012 @ 6:29 pm   12

I have bought stardrone but i can only play the trial version. What do I have to do now?

OracleDJ 11 April, 2012 @ 8:02 pm   13

Got same issue. Bought the game, but in store it appears as if i own only trial version, It still offers me to buy full version again. :(

RustySanderke 11 April, 2012 @ 11:05 pm   14

Same here. I paid for the game but only the trial version is marked as “purchased”.

Are there any plans for DLC?

I will be buying this game, but I’d love to see more content added later, like they did with Motorstorm RC.

The only reason I play Motorstorm so much is because there’s a new vehicle out every so often…

DLC please !!! :P

FrIeD-GoAt 12 April, 2012 @ 2:43 am   16

Yeah seems to
Say the full game is a trial, I better not lose all my gold medals!!!

FrIeD-GoAt 12 April, 2012 @ 2:48 am   17

Oh for gods sake, you put the trial up as the full game and I bought it, now it says that I have only got the trial and must pay an extra 3.19 to play get the full game. Another classic mistake by EU PSN. Look, I’m currently unemployed why don’t you sack your terrible staff and hire me. I can guarantee its not hard to upload files onto a server.

hirez-suicide 12 April, 2012 @ 10:08 am   18

What is wrong with this site!!! At the top it clearly has Countries: AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ.
It was not on the Vita store in Australia today so I am guessing that is also the same for New Zealand. Why can’t you get it your facts straight.

hirez-suicide 12 April, 2012 @ 10:41 am   19

At least you guys get some type of download, AU PSN sucks harder than all the rest put together.

Beatshapers 12 April, 2012 @ 10:55 am   20

Guys, who have issues with Triall/Full: please delete game and re-download again, Sony fixed the issue, so should works now.
@dSkuld – we having issue with OFLC, thats why its not released in AU/NZ region unfortunately.

Jammy2211 12 April, 2012 @ 11:15 am   21

Was on the fence about this game as the PS3 version got mixed reviews. But £3.19 seems worth a punt, got the trail so will decide when I get round to playing that.

I’d imagine it plays a lot better on a touch screen then with the Move from the brief understanding I grasped of it in trailers.

FrIeD-GoAt 12 April, 2012 @ 11:45 am   22

@Beatshapers, You don’t seem to understand. We can’t download again, It says that we have “purchased” the trial even though we payed the 3.19. To download the full version I have to pay an extra 3.19 EVEN THOUGH I PURCHASED THE GAME already. There is an issue, The trial was obviously mistakenly put up as the full game and now it says I have old bought the trial, The red shopping bag is on the trial, it says that i have to BUY NOW on the full version.

Beatshapers 12 April, 2012 @ 11:46 am   23

@PBUH91 Im not saying no, there are plans for DLC. We will watch how the game will work on PS Vita. @Jammy2211 Rear touch pad play is interesting experience – you not cover the screen with fingers.

Rocstarr 12 April, 2012 @ 3:18 pm   24

;)

Asmerith 12 April, 2012 @ 9:56 pm   25

So will the game be released in AU/NZ after the classification issues are sorted? Or are you just giving up and not planning to release it here?

Alienshade 13 April, 2012 @ 3:09 am   26

I cant get the game montezuma(vita) here in sweden!?

Beatshapers 13 April, 2012 @ 10:15 am   27

@FrIeD-GoAt – this is store issue, please contact SCEE about it. They told me they are fixed an issue all people need is re-download game.
@Alienshade This thread is about StarDrone, its available in Sweden for sure.

FrIeD-GoAt 13 April, 2012 @ 3:06 pm   28

Haha, yeah they had the nerve to tell me to speak to you guys. Absoluteness useless. Looks like I wont be playing it this weekend, contacted them 2 days ago and still playing the trial after paying. Thanks for stealing my money SCEE.
But still cant wait to gold all the other levels once I can play them!

wiipass 13 April, 2012 @ 7:40 pm   29

is it ok to buy this game now or am i going to end up paying for a tiral game like some people. ha ha ha

Alienshade 15 April, 2012 @ 3:47 pm   30

No the Montezuma game dose not exist in swe psn only a blank file :(

mxk1000 17 April, 2012 @ 9:14 pm   31

Have deleted and reinstalled and I still have the trial version.

When will this be fixed?