Posted 16 July

The Last of Us – Bill’s Safe House Cinematic

While we’re still processing the awesome and inspiring reception from fans and critics at E3, we’ve been heads down working to make The Last of Us something to get really, really hyped about. To that end we’re excited that our San Diego Comic Con plans afforded us the opportunity to discuss our mocap process and share some new content. It was really just a small glimpse into what we’ve been hard at work developing but we think you’ll enjoy it greatly. Take a look:

First shown during our San Diego Comic Con panel, if you listen carefully at the onset of the video you’ll hear the noises and sounds of Infected as they hunt Joel and Ellie. They manage to escape into the house of some guy in a gas mask. Are they safe?

The masked man turns out to be a new character named Bill. Bill knows Joel somehow and, as you can see in the cinematic, owes Joel a favor. What for? Well, we’re not talking about that yet but you’ll definitely be hearing more about Bill and what makes him tick in the months rolling up to launch. For starters, we also revealed that Bill is voiced by accomplished Hollywood actor, W. Earl Brown, who has appeared in numerous movies including There’s Something About Mary, Scream, Vanilla Sky, and the upcoming movie, The Lone Ranger. He also played Dan Dority in the acclaimed HBO series, Deadwood. There will be much more information to come.

It was a joy to talk with fans at SDCC about our mocap and performance process and go behind the scenes on The Last of Us. Get ready for us to fire out more notes from the workshop as development progresses.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

9 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Might just be me but I’m not entirely happy with the younger looking Ellie but then again the fact that she’s still got a mouth on her makes up for it I think…

Will the Playstation Blog release the full The Last Of Us & The Playstation All Stars Battle Royal Comic-con Full length Panel discussion anytime soon?
There really fun to watch, specially the Q & A session at the end.

O1d8oy_23 16 July, 2012 @ 1:01 pm   2

In my opinion the voice of a girl doesn’t exactly match her age. But I can live with that.

Stonesthrow 16 July, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   3

Stunning as always. I was especially excited by the movement and body- and facial animations in this footage. Other games pale in comparison to this. The technical quality, controlls and graphics of Uncharted made me fall in love with the third person genre, eventhough I never used to like it much besides the Metal gear solid series and a few others. And this looks even better than Uncharted, if at all possible.. Really love the coloring too, as much as I love the vibrant coloring in Uncharted, this just looks even more realistic. It’s going to be a hard wait for this one..

It’s almost boring to keep praising this game after every snippet but I can’t help it. Everything that is shown makes the game look outstanding and I really am looking forward to playing it.

It’s good to see some more interactions between in game characters and I think this video really conveys the tension that exists in a world where everyone is fighting for survival!

Can’t wait

CassyChan 16 July, 2012 @ 1:51 pm   5

Haha, that dialog’s great! The quality of these scenes is amazing.

Connor_mufc_1985 16 July, 2012 @ 2:12 pm   6

This game is going to be special and by special I mean the best of all time Naughty Dog are by far and above the best developers around , totally on a whole other level from the rest . The graphics are fantastic , the gameplay looks even more fluid than that of the Uncharted games , The voice acting is incredible and Joel and Ellie already look so convincing as a double act , I will definitely pick this game up on day 1.

xX-ArcticFox-Xx 16 July, 2012 @ 2:58 pm   7

Its comeing along really nicely and I cannot wait to play this :D

Shadiest187 16 July, 2012 @ 6:40 pm   8