Posted 3 October

Tomba! Swings Onto PSN Today!

tomba2

Today we’re proud to announce the highly anticipated release of classic platformer/adventure Tomba! on the EU PlayStation Network. This marks the first time that our pink-haired hero will be available digitally in Europe, exclusively for download in the PSone Classics section.

Tomba! was originally developed at Whoopee Camp back in 1997 by Tokuro Fujiwara who masterminded some of the industry’s most popular franchises, including Ghosts & Goblins and Mega Man. A truly revolutionary game for its time, Tomba! offers a fresh mix of platforming and sub-quest based adventures that make it one of the most interesting PlayStation titles in the Store.

tomba5tomba3

Playing as a wild jungle boy named Tomba, you have to retrieve your lucky golden bracelet from evil pigs who have overrun neighboring communities. With weapons such as boomerangs, a large mace and boulders at his disposal, Tomba faces a wide range of foes, forest creatures and prehistoric beasts.

A little bit different from the norm, Tomba!‘s gameplay is structured around earning Adventure Points by completing certain tasks, such as helping trapped villagers or finding a lost item in a cave. Collecting more and more points allows our hero to pass through numerous zones in the game. This is what truly makes Tomba! a unique and classic PlayStation platformer. Gamers are actually rewarded with unique areas that extend the longevity of the adventure.

One of the most fondly remembered features of the game is that all the sub-quests are different, eliminating repetition and keeping gameplay unpredictable from beginning to end. This also allows players to complete areas at their own pace – exploration certainly isn’t discouraged here!

tomba1tomba4

Download Tomba! today and support our retro cause! Let us know what you think of this classic – we hope to bring more retro goodness if the demand is there. Continue to give us your game suggestions on our Twitter feed. Like Tomba!, we’ll continue to listen and go after those lost classics.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

86 Comments 10 Author replies
Show oldest first

jack_gllghr 3 October, 2012 @ 1:02 pm   1

Good going, thanks for listening to the fans!
Get Spyro on there and you’ll make many more folks happy :)

Cool! :)

I’m sure there will be a horde of very happy EU gamers.

legionari 3 October, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   3

Good news =)
But its called Tombi! in the PAL regions…..

GametimeUK 3 October, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   4

I think I have played this, but then again I could be wrong. People have been going mental about this game for a while now! Maybe I should try it out? I can still appreciate an old game if it is THAT good. Looks like my girlfriend would enjoy it too.

Mattrapid441 3 October, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   5

Instant buy for me!

TrunksieGirl99 3 October, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   6

What time will NiGHTS into Dreams be released?

Got some good memories with this game, i cant remember how many times i replayed the demo on the PS1 till i managed to find a copy in Electronic Boutiques all them years ago(now GAME). I think i paid about £20 in 1998/99 and remember going through the manual on the train ride home – Awesome stuff. How much is TOMBI! going for though Ray?

Dark-Twisted 3 October, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   8

APE ESCAPE.

The only reason it hasn’t been released was because the PSP had no second analogue stick. Well the PSP has been succeeded by the Vita so…

APE ESCAPE.
Please.
Thanks. ;)

legionari 3 October, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   9

@Dark-Twisted
Yea Ape escape on Vita would be great, so much nostalgia
Just need Spyro 1 – 3 on the store now

jack_gllghr 3 October, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   10

Oh god YES APE ESCAPE!! Make it happen! It’s a Sony developed and published franchise, surely this wouldn’t be too hard to get?

Ray Almeda 4 October, 2012 @ 2:29 am

Yep, you’re right, its Sony. But we have had good success licensing from them before (Arc, Alundra). A little persistence goes a long way in this space.

SpiderMike_X 3 October, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   11

How about a fix for Alundra before u rehash more mediocrity. I hate going off topic but you community bods DO insist on burying posts and pretending problems will go away.

Ray Almeda 4 October, 2012 @ 2:33 am

We never forget the problems that some games have. We’ve been working with Sony to get to the bottom of the Alundra slowdown problem. But its not always easy. These are emulations of older games and the process is pretty tricky. Many games never make it because of this. If we had the source code we could try to go in and fix a problem but we don’t have code. So our choice becomes don’t release a game or try to deal with it. Just because we don’t have an answer doesn’t mean we’re not trying.

Bealinator 3 October, 2012 @ 1:21 pm   12

I remember starting a forum post about this game in early 2009… Good work! Tomba! 2/Tombi! 2 is probably a shoe-in based on sales, right?

Solid. The Tombi/Tomba games have aged quite nicely for 2D platformers, they’re still enjoyable and sharp… I’ve got the originals on disc, but I wouldn’t be adverse to a copy on my Vita… if it’s £3.99 or lower, I’ll bite.

This is very nice!

But I have a question, is Alundra fixed? If not, when can we expect a fix?

Osahi_be 3 October, 2012 @ 1:25 pm   15

I remember playing the demo of this that was added to the official Playstation magazine back in the days. Had lots of fun with the demo alone, so might check this out, although my Vita is currently plastered with PSN classics I still have to fire up (FFIX, Oddworld-games, Vagrant Story,…)

I’d love to see Suikoden II pop up on the store, digitally

And since PSN started to offer import classics too, I’m dreaming of (the US version of) Chrono Cross making the cross.

So, please Sony, make it happen? Pretty please?

:D

Skookie30 3 October, 2012 @ 1:27 pm   16

@Ray

Great stuff ray a true blue Ps1 classic & not like the shovelware we was given.

today is a good day for EU store update EVER best so Far we had others, 3 SEGA games 1 of them free for plus members, nights into dreams with added christmas nights that was given as a free disc that tie to the dreamcast clock i hopeful it a faithful port you get boxes to open on certain days i hope the playable christmas content is locked to tie in with Ps3 clock.

sonic adventure 2 with a DLC battle mode is the 3rd game so a SEGA blowout of games. ;)

plus tomba/tombi day1 purchases :)

Whats wrong with Alundra? No idea soz, i bought it off the US Store and haven’t come across anything..

Will be buying Tombi if its cheaper than £5.

Brodiesan 3 October, 2012 @ 1:36 pm   18

Alundra is allegedly running at the wrong Hz so it stutters about the place. Apparently the powers that be are aware of the issue.

@15 remember the demo too…
This game is not for me but thanks for listening to the community!!!

Next Suikoden?!

please can playstation plus members get this for free this month because i love this game

darkgidan 3 October, 2012 @ 1:39 pm   21

but this version that will release today is not PAL! are completely disagree with this, I wanted to play in Italian…

AlexPSN89 3 October, 2012 @ 1:40 pm   22

Awesome! I’ll give my Kudos to Jawad as well once his post goes live.

On a more cynical note, I’d say “about time” about this… however, I can’t help but give my thanks to you for pulling this off.

This says a lot about PS Classics on the EU store. To everyone who had lost his or her hopes, well, there’s still hope. There’s still hope!

Brodiesan 3 October, 2012 @ 1:40 pm   23

Kudos for finally getting it out. The delay was embarrassing, but let’s focus on the positives; it’s here.

Everyone, go buy it. It’s a wonderfully charming game. One of my favourites from yesteryear.

MordecaiHunter 3 October, 2012 @ 1:40 pm   24

£6.99 – if i get it for the vita will it be cross buy with the ps3 ?

SpiderMike_X 3 October, 2012 @ 1:40 pm   25

@Clxmj – It’s running at the wrong frame rate. Gameplay is fine (no stuttering as someone else just said) but the FMV and music play considerably slower on the EU release.

A month ago they said they were “aware” of the issue and that reports were not being skirted around. More than 30 days later and no fix or replacement file in sight.

PFC_Hudson 3 October, 2012 @ 1:42 pm   26

You forgot to add, “FREE TO PS+ SUBSCRIBERS”

*wink, wink*

Cheers Mike – couldn’t they just give us the US version then.. saying that, if your Italian/Spanish etc i suppose you’d want the PAL version. You guys need to sort it out MonkeyPaw, however you do it.

nascent- 3 October, 2012 @ 1:47 pm   28

I love this game. I already own the original disc, and it’s definitely one of the best games ever made. I love how deep the game is, it’s like Zelda mixed with Rayman. It has a great sense of humour too, and even replaying it a couple of years ago, was submerged in the mystery and exploitative nature of the game.

It’s almost like a super hero game, with the banding together characters of different strengths against the evil pigs. And it’s also like a fairytale with such rich side characters and fantasy elements.

Side note: If anyone likes this and classic zelda, check out 3D Dot Heroes, it’s unbelievable.

vagrantstar 3 October, 2012 @ 1:50 pm   29

OMG YES!

Cannot wait to get home from work and buy this :3

LiquidSolid 3 October, 2012 @ 1:52 pm   30

Have SCEE ruined this one too, by making it run at 50fps instead of the proper 60fps? Sorry MonkeyPaw, I know it’s not your fault but I’m not paying money for broken versions of games.

Speaking of which, I tried to email Sony to get a refund for Alundra and Klonoa but still haven’t received a response. Woohoo customer service.

KaiserSoza13 3 October, 2012 @ 1:52 pm   31

Tomb! Failed in testing so this is the American version, Tomba!, different music but still the same great game. Hope MonkeyPaw can bring some of those out of reach RPG games like Chrono Trigge, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 1 and 2 and others we have been waiting so long for, but please if you do don’t take years to do it.

KaiserSoza13 3 October, 2012 @ 1:57 pm   32

Remember kids don’t use an iPad to post online,they suck.

darkgidan 3 October, 2012 @ 2:03 pm   33

it can always stay the same great game, but right now we are penalized Italian and spanish, I understand English but preferred to play in my native language

MrSolrac 3 October, 2012 @ 2:05 pm   34

Glad to see Tomba is here!!

I also have several suggestions for future MonkeyPaw releases (most of these have already been mentioned):

- Chrono Trigger
- Chrono Cross
- Suikoden games
- Lunar
- Castlevania Symphony of the Night
- Spyro games
- Mega man games
- Um Jammer Lammy
- Parappa the Rapper
- Poy Poy (1 and/or 2)

Catkiller1 3 October, 2012 @ 2:06 pm   35

Why was the Update just taken down??

I guess more content is delayed yet again??

Falcon1991 3 October, 2012 @ 2:08 pm   36

@25

Dang, I just missed it. :P

Hears hoping for MVC: Origins THIS week.

@31 !!?? The musics different in this version than the PAL release.. Sod that, the music was the best part.

whatnopie 3 October, 2012 @ 2:10 pm   38

Finally! Now release Chrono Cross in the EU PSN and we’ll be best friends!

Mr_Marley_1992 3 October, 2012 @ 2:11 pm   39

please bring spyro 1 2 &3 there alot of ppl asking 4 it and another game i really liked is hercs adventure ??

Falcon1991 3 October, 2012 @ 2:11 pm   40

Damn, I meant 35.

spagetti69 3 October, 2012 @ 2:13 pm   41

Is Resident evil 2 vita compatible now ?
Many thanks.

C_Falcon16 3 October, 2012 @ 2:13 pm   42

Seriously guys. Thank you so much for this. I’ll be purchasing this as soon as physically possible =D

As for what I’d like next?
If it is at all possible, Azure Dreams.

Azure Dreams Azure Dreams Azure Dreams.

Again, thank you for Tomba.

Catkiller1 3 October, 2012 @ 2:15 pm   43

@ Falcon1991

I’m hoping the store post was taken down to add Marvel VS Capcom Origins….fingers crossed!

SappYoda 3 October, 2012 @ 2:16 pm   44

This still has that bug that makes PSN Import games run at slowed down 60 hz on PS3?

If so, I’m not buying it.

supersmith2500 3 October, 2012 @ 2:24 pm   45

Thanks for Tomba! MonkeyPaw.

But still why is the Store Heads-Up yanked down? Possibly making some corrections I guess so let’s hope Sonic Adventure 2 HD, MvC: Origins and maybe CS:GO sees the light.

Fred Dutton 3 October, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

Aplogies, nothing sinister going on here. Some of our regional teams just needed a little more time to finish their translations. It will be up in 30 mins.

supersmith2500 3 October, 2012 @ 2:28 pm   46

@Fred:
Thanks Fred, hope the store update is not disappointing with delays again.

Falcon1991 3 October, 2012 @ 2:32 pm   47

@Fred Dutton

Thanks for letting us know. :)

EternalChaos72 3 October, 2012 @ 2:39 pm   48

thx freddo, nearly had a heart attack when someone said the update was pulled

vickaz91 3 October, 2012 @ 2:40 pm   49

nice but when is spyro coming hopfully still this month

chrisandsheva 3 October, 2012 @ 2:43 pm   50

@ Fred. yeah thanks for your post.. nothing worse than waiting without info..

Load all