Posted 20 November

PS Vita System Software update 2.00: all the details

Hey there everybody. As announced last week , PS Vita System Software update 2.00 arrives today, paving the way for PS Plus support for the system, which rolls out tomorrrow.

However, there are a number of other changes inbound too. One of the major feature enhancements has been to the browser, with updates to display performance and general functionality. You will now also be able to Tweet a link from directly within the browser.

The 2.00 update also introduces new Content Manager features, allowing wireless content transfer between PS Vita and PC. Users will also be able to browse folders on their PC or PlayStation 3 system and copy them right onto their PS Vita.

Elsewhere, a new email app has also been added to the browser that allows users to add up to five email accounts and 5,000 contacts. On-screen notifications let PS Vita players know when they’ve received a message so you can keep in touch anywhere, anytime.

Here’s a quick summary of what you can expect to see once you’ve downloaded the update:

Web Browser

• Enhanced performance of the web browser along with improved support of HTML 5 and JavaScript.
  • PS Vita users will have the ability to Tweet web page addresses.

• PS Vita users will be able to check, read and send email directly from the system.

Content Management

• PS Vita users will be able to wirelessly transfer content between PS Vita and PC, in addition to browsing folders on PS3/PC and copying them to PS Vita.
  • Display photos imported via PS3 and PC.

Settings for PSone classics

• PS Vita users will be able to assign controller buttons to touchscreen, rear touch pad and buttons on their system.
  • Custom screen mode option for flexible screen size adjustment.

For more information and a full list of enhancements, see our full 2.00 FAQ.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

108 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

Hey, do you know the exact time of the release in the US AND Europe?
Also, when are the results for the weekend debate (shooters; love em or hate em) coming out?

Fred Dutton 20 November, 2012 @ 10:59 am

Weekend debate winners have been announced in the original thread. Prizes being sent out asap.

As for the release, the update is live in most EU territories now. You Plus games will follow on tomorrow, likely within the weekly Store update.

Got it this morning, most notable change is the addition of the email- application. Update went nice and smoothly, thanks for this post with the update details.

I noticed the Store also got an update. Will we get a similar post stating the changelog for that one? Will it fix the PS Plus and shopping (trying to get the demo after buying the unlock key) issues? Will it sort out the Download list? Any new features? (Sorry, for going off-topic..)

Fred Dutton 20 November, 2012 @ 10:57 am

I’ll check-in and see exactly what the Store changes are. If they’re substantial I will certainly pass them on.

Excellent update. One question though, how does automatic update work? I can’t seem to find a way to schedule the update like on PS3 so when does that happen?

Nice update, really looking forward to PS Plus for the Vita and the email feature is a pleasant surprise. Initially I didn’t see any use for it, seeing as email is so readily accessible on phones these days, but actually it could be handy for sharing screenshots and photos (if you use the camera).

PS- a little off topic but the PS3 browser could really do with some attention too. The Vita browser has been improved nicely but the PS3 browser is old and really feels it, I’m teleported back to 2007 every time I try to use it.

PPS- completely off topic sorry but…
Fred, can you please pass on to the PlayStation App team that despite yet another update to the Android app, blog comment posting STILL doesn’t work.

Fred Dutton 20 November, 2012 @ 11:03 am

We’re working on a significant update for the app that should fix these issues. More news on that soon.

extermin8or_ 20 November, 2012 @ 11:08 am   6

Yay this update sounds great,I heard the browser has better html5 support? Also you hint are it but never say it outright. Thanks for the post-do you know if the pen store on bits is going to get an aesthetic Makeover to make it match ps3s that design feels Ike itwould work better on a touch device such ad the vital… :p

Oh, the Content Manager only works wirelessly with the PC? That’s a bummer, it should do the same with the PS3. Still, nice update :)

Hi Fred,
Could you explain how to use the automatic save copy for Vita software?
I went to the Content Management app and chose to copy to the Online Storage, checked several titles, entered their info page and checked the automatic copy as well (they were marked by a green downward arrow). After the copying the saves finished, the automatic copy option seemed to reset. Did I do something wrong? Can I turn on the automat ic sync without entering the Content Manager app, like on the PS3? On the PS3 it offers you to turn on auto-sync the first time you run a game, it doesn’t seem to be this way on the Vita.

Thanks

Browser is excellent looking forward to the P Plus update tomoz

greggypoos 20 November, 2012 @ 11:16 am   10

Great stuff, thanks.
Is there an idiot’s guide to setting up the email app? I couldn’t get it to work with my hotmail account.
Thanks.

Dr-abdulelah 20 November, 2012 @ 11:18 am   11

why sony don’t add arabic language to ps vita or ps3
i hope some one can answer this question

Very nice update. Could I ask why is possible to copy just the savegames via Plus, while instead I still have to copy an entire game via Pc? Also when “comment near name” editing on Vita? Thanks.

Has there/will there be any improvement to the psone compatibility list? Desperate to play Future Cop LAPD on my vita…

pinkplaybunny 20 November, 2012 @ 11:22 am   14

Updated it from my bed this morning! Bring on the free games!

@Dr-abdulelah I’m guessing implementing a right-to-left language (like Arabic or Hebrew) is harder to do than adding another left to right language (like Turkish that was added right now). If a system wasn’t developed with right-to-left languages in mind, it can sometimes take years until official support arrives (that was the case with iPod/iPhone) I doubt you’ll see support for Arabic any time soon, and I doubt Hebrew support will arrive at all.

Nice update. I like that you can assign buttons to the touch screen for PS1 games as i don’t like to use the rear touch screen, gets in the way of holiday the vita comfortably and i always touch it by accident. I also like the little message you get when you go into a PS1 game telling you about keeping your finger on the touch screen for the extra options as i know a lot of people had trouble with that.

The auto-upload for saves doesn’t work.

I go into Content Manager on my Vita, go onto cloud saves, press the little ‘i’ button next to the save I want to set to auto-upload, and tick the “Upload Automatically” checkbox. Then when I go back a little green arrow appears next to it for a few seconds, and then disappears whenever the page refreshes (such as scrolling, or after a few seconds). When I click the ‘i’ button again, the “Upload Automatically” checkbox has been automatically unchecked. Repeat ad infinitum.

Any chance on getting this fixed soon? It’s rather annoying.

ultimaweapon20 20 November, 2012 @ 11:26 am   18

Will Resident Evil 2 ever be fixed??

LIKE-NO-ONE 20 November, 2012 @ 11:29 am   19

Is there any way that the Vita won’t actually “connect to the network” every minute? I mean why can it be connected all the time like the PS3.

AshishSahoo 20 November, 2012 @ 11:34 am   20

Hey Fred,
I am looking forward to being a plus member tomorrow, but I hope someone can answer a few of my questions. My earlier posts were neglected,
1. Can we redeem our free ps3 games on vita ? I mean that can I add ps3 igc games on my download list using vita? Really important for me as I don’t use my ps3 often and I would hate to miss on a major part of ps plus offers.
2.Would you add atleast one retail game to vita igc every month, I would hate to see only downloadable games on vita igc.
Thanks in advance. Please reply asap.

how long does all the updates take as I will be a new owner in 35 days time?

I too can’t set my game saves to upload automatically. Shows I’ve ticked the box, then after a few seconds it’s not ticked anymore.

Bug? Probably… Fred, can you let the developers know please?

I think there is a technical issue with the http://blog.eu.playstation.com/. I am using firefox 16.02 and the home page is telling me that you are doing maintenance. That has been more than a week. And i am using chrome and everything is fine. Please look into it.

belmont_gr 20 November, 2012 @ 11:46 am   24

Hi Fred,

Great update, the e-mail app works like a charm.

I have a question.

I see that the Turkish language has been added. I have asked before but can you request one more time the addition of the Greek language? I can reed my e-mails but I’ d like Greek keybord to replay or to use twitter!

The only thing that put me off the PSVita was the slow internet browser(this is 2012 in’it) :D , so i might pick one up soon :P (even tho the games are the most important thing at the end of the day)

#23 It’s not a problem with the site – if it was, it would do the same on any browser. The problem is your cache – clear it out. Job done.

PS,, is that on topic?

manutreble 20 November, 2012 @ 11:59 am   27

Hey Fred how about adding a twitter notification when ya playing the games and if someone tweets you and don’t have to use the phone to see it

Apart from the Plus stuff needing to be added/changed in the FW, this is a trivial update. If you’re gonna make trivial updates, add a damn calculator application.

Being able to side scroll on your Vita home pages instead of up/down would be a good feature eventually.

Folder support, and more pages eventually too, to accommodate the amount of icons needed for Plus would be much appreciated!

R3dC3llTran3 20 November, 2012 @ 12:05 pm   30

Nice vita update.The browser runs better now iam actually sending this with my vita will be there an update to use copy and paste on vita?
Btw Fred i didnt receive the debate prize yet, and can you check your ps3 inbox i kinda need help. Thanks

I don’t think this is the right place to write this.

I don’t hope Sony get angry because I’m going to write something which they would maybe not want me to write… but I just want to help.

Sony are selling a new Slim model and stopped producing their past PS3 models. They can do exactly the same thing with the next upcoming Playstation console. If the PS3 is the cause of the loss(I’m not sure) then make the PS4 support every PS3 stuff and give us a Cloud Gaming console.

By that way you never have to think about logistic, distribution, CD copy costs, gaming box production cost and much more.

I’m not the big veteran within this part of Sony but… I’m a loyal one and if my console is the problem then develop a new one which will support everything you created. Then you don’t have to produce the PS3 anymore.

And no it will not damage Sony’s reputation. I won’t spit on a company I have known for over half of my life. They just gave me a new Playstation in 2013 which will somehow have the PS3 and the PS4 stuff built in. Why should I not buy it? Their games CAN be cheaper, look MUCH better and have the old stuff built in too.

You can delete this comment if it’s necessary. I just wanted to help.

TINTINTB303 20 November, 2012 @ 12:12 pm   32

@Fred

I don’t know if it down to 2.0 but I started up Everybody’s Golf after doing the update and ALL my progress/save has vanished!!!

Can you find out if this is at all related to 2.0 or a different problem/reason.

Tried using content manager to use an earlier save but no joy. The game is still treating me as a new player/owner.

It’s a download copy NOT a retail copy if that is important.

Cheers

TINTIN

MonsterRacer 20 November, 2012 @ 12:12 pm   33

Hi Fred,

We now have 10 tabs on the vita to save the icons of games or apps.
Can you please extand to more? I’m running out of tabs ;-)

Would be great otherwise i need to delete some of the icons to save newones.

Thanks

“Enhanced performance of the web browser along with improved support of HTML 5 and JavaScript.”

if it use HTML5 & javascript it not very good because still vita broswer doesn’t play videos on certain sites ,take youtube you cant watch vids so what we got is basiclly a basic “Text/pictrue” that is all vita can do videos if it wants too. :(

Nice update for the browser, you should add that it can now be used wile you have a game open. The button mapping for the PSOne emulator looks fantastic too, it’ll make games that use L2 and R2 much more playable on the Vita.

Biggest wish now – h264 support in the browser, so I can stream videos from HTML5 websites. Heck, doesn’t even have to be in the browser, just forwarding the video link to the video player and have it stream it would be fine. That’s how my Android phone does it.

Great update! One thing I’ve noticed with the email app though. When you add a contact from an email it puts the first name and surname around the wrong way in the contact card. I still can’t get it to play nice with my iCloud email, why was there not an easy setup for Apple email. Come on grow up Sony, will you guys ever play nicely and share you toys!

super

Dante_Zero 20 November, 2012 @ 12:35 pm   38

great update. Only feedback i can offer outside of what people have already said is to have some work done on the Facebook app. Being able to run it it the background instead of it having to close everything down every time it’s used.

Thanks, keep up the good work and improvements with vita

(p.s. not to nag but no COD:Declassified code has hit my inbox. Just thought i’d update date you Fred :) ).

SuperJag86 20 November, 2012 @ 12:37 pm   39

The one major thing that was missing in this update is the folder support for apps. That or increase the number of pages available as with the minis, PSone, PSP and Vita titles I have I can easily reach the maximum.
The update has lots of useful additions so I’m happy but I really need folder support soon!

When will we get the ability to take screenshots of PSP and PSOne games? I’m sick of having to take offscreen photos -_-

Did anyone manage to do a WiFi sync? I installed the latest version of the PC Content Manager Assistant, checked the box to allow WiFi connection, but still can’t find my PC on the Vita. Any help?

DBcoopmore 20 November, 2012 @ 12:50 pm   42

damn I was hoping to be able to flip browser portrait!

chrisboers 20 November, 2012 @ 12:53 pm   43

@CoolRicky008UK please stop the CAPS, and stop trolling. Vita has nothing to do with Android.

Nothing.

Great update, particularly impressed with the Email having Yahoo Mail built in as an option :)

This is a reasonable START.

But Vita needs SO much more. I can’t believe it’s not being used to target WiiU.

PSVita needs:

1) More Remote Play Functionality. BRING BACK THE STORE. BRING BACK iPLAYER. BRING BACK SINGSTAR! Losing Remote Play for applications is RIDICULOUS at this stage, where I’d expect 2 or 3 games to be added to Remote Play EACH WEEK. It’s pathetic that this isn’t happening.

2) PSP had a “lock” function so you couldn’t accidentally hit a button, say when you’re watching a video. I am ALWAYS knocking the shoulder buttons when watching stuff either on Vita or remotely from PS3, and it BAFFLES me that this isn’t a feature. Mostly when I’m tucked in bed watching something under the covers! It’s incredibly frustrating.

3) Ditch the stupid “bubbly” menu screens. It looks, and works, CRAP. Vita should have been positioned as a companion to the PS3, e.g. with something akin to the XMB. The “bubbly” OS thing is just a disorganised, awful mess. I hate it, not because it’s difficult to use – it isn’t, really – it just looks terrible and is fiddly to organise. Whereas the XMB worked great. Trying to be clever, and failing.

@CoolRicky008UK

REALLY? an android ripoff? LOL! your prefetic.

fred i though this update was coming tommorow but hey im glad its here today! :)

Bumblebee 20 November, 2012 @ 1:00 pm   47

4) Vita should have more (some?) cross-controller compatibility. If anything, it should ALWAYS be able to be substituted for a Dual-Shock controller. Minus the rumble, of course. Resident Evil 6 would have been SO much better with Vita controls rather than the terrible menu system it used.

5) Please, when I am Remote-Playing, let ME decide where I want to put the R2, R3, L2 and L3 buttons. Not just for playing PS1 games… DO NOT FORGET REMOTE PLAY, SONY. It’s frustrating when you accidentally touch the back panel when watching a film, and it goes awry.

6) DO NOT FORGET REMOTE PLAY.

7) AGAIN, DO NOT FORGET REMOTE PLAY.

8) Some games would be nice.

9) There is so much more but I’m at work.

Lots of love,

A Frustrated Vita Owner.

any confirmation yet from SCEE that we can add titles to our ps3 for later download on the vita? SCEA said “yep” on their blog but because of discrepancies between the two – would like for someone at SCEE to confirm we can

vita and an android the same – hmmm don’t think so I’m getting vita for xmas – the hubb a Samsung tablet the tech stats definitely don’t look the same and well can’t play Persona 4 on a tablet…yet

im so glad you got rid of that annoying grey backround on web browser

I LOVE THE EMAIL APP! :) fred can you ask to update the facebook at the text is too small and i can barely read it!

Load all