Posted 14 December

Fuel Overdose roars into action on PSN next week

Fuel_Overdose_Action04

Hi PlayStation Blog, this is Skander Djerbi, executive producer of the half-Japanese, half-gaijin indie production Fuel Overdose for PlayStation 3 on PSN. The game launches on 21st December, and a demo is available right now.

Our previous post focused on the racing gameplay pillar. Today we will talk about the ‘action’ aspect of the game, introducing all the cool gameplay mechanics that you can use against your opponents to attack, defend and counter-attack. Have a look in the new trailer below.

Let’s start with the upgradable weapons.

• A machine gun that can be fired at 360° when combined with the skidding and spinning features.
  • A rocket launcher that uses a homing system that skilled drivers can avoid by suddenly changing trajectory at the very last moment.
  • Mines – very useful when you find yourself leading the race and trying to keep distance from your rivals.

We’ve also added detonators. Several bombs are scattered at strategic locations around the circuit, with remote triggers that allow you to take out opponents that would otherwise remain out of reach.

Grappling hook as a weapon
As introduced in our previous post [link here], you can use a grappling hook to grab other vehicles, to get back on track, or to perform perfect turns. What’s new is that the grappling hook can also be used as a weapon. You can electrify (01:13) your opponent by grabbing him and holding the circle button. But be careful, your opponent can send you the electric shock back (01:16).

Fuel_Overdose_Action05Fuel_Overdose_Action03

Berserk gauge and combo

• The combo system: as in many fighting games, you can perform combos by chaining attacks. But what is unique to Fuel Overdose is that as soon as the combo ends, it is converted to a life bonus that fills your life gauge.
  • A Berserk gauge, located in the top right corner of the screen, is divided into three sections and fills whenever you’re being hit by an enemy. I’ll explain in the two following sections how it works.

Special attacks: Skill moves, Super and Ultra attacks
Each character has a set of four unique special attacks: one skill move, two super attacks and one ultra attack:

• Skill moves: these techniques can be triggered anytime as they don’t consume the Berserk gauge.
  • Super attacks: they affect all the enemies in your immediate vicinity, but in order to trigger them you’ll need to consume one section of your Berserk gauge.
  • Ultra attacks: they affect all enemies on the race track – you’ll need to have your Berserk gauge completely full to trigger them.

Fuel_Overdose_Action02Fuel_Overdose_Action09

Defense: shield
You can go on the defensive by activating your shield (01:43)… as long as your Berserk gauge is not empty. The shield consumes the Berserk gauge, which means that you’ll have to constantly make choices and decide whether to allocate your Berserk gauge on defense (shield) or on attack (super and ultra attacks).

Race Danger
The Race Danger is a mass climatic disaster that can be summoned anytime and anywhere on the race track. In order to use this special technique, you’ll have to participate in a silent auction before the race during which you bid for it out of your overall budget. Only the highest bidder will have the right to trigger it and the losers will leave with empty hands and pockets.

That’s all for today. I’ll see you in a forthcoming post during which I’ll discuss the third pillar of Fuel Overdose’s gameplay: tactics. Stay tuned!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

16 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

This would be an ideal game for the Vita, surely?

chrisboers 14 December, 2012 @ 3:07 pm   2

HAH! And Tim Schafer is complaining there is no room for Indie games on (next gen) console! What a great game guys! Looks like an epic two-stick driving/shooting game. Looking forward to try it out next week!

Only gripe I have: the cars themselves appear to be a bit blocky, with very little curves…

i like the look of this game from the trailers i have seen.

thinking its another game ill be buying

Skander Djerbi 14 December, 2012 @ 3:11 pm   4

Yep that would be great but I confirm there’s no Vita version in development for the moment. Not because we wouldn’t want to, but because we can’t handle 2 projects simultaneously.

Skander

KillaT2501 14 December, 2012 @ 3:42 pm   5

This looks perfect for a little cross play Vita action!

Skander Djerbi 14 December, 2012 @ 3:43 pm   6

I remind you that the demo is available. Many features and modes are locked, but it gives you a pretty good idea of the spirit and depth of the gameplay.

Skander

Carnivius_Prime 14 December, 2012 @ 3:46 pm   7

I’ve just had a go on the demo. I enjoyed it and can see myself playing the full game a fair bit. How much will it cost and is there discount for Plus subscirbers?

Skander Djerbi 14 December, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

The price will be 11.99€ in on the EU Store. I don’t know the exact price in pounds, but that should be around 9.99 I think. No Plus discount for the moment.

Skander

declan__watson 14 December, 2012 @ 4:07 pm   8

Hello there Skander
This looks like a really good game, will look forward to maybe trying this when it hits playstation store next week.

Will look forward to more news in the coming weeks.
Thanks LongLivePlay Sony make.believe

Skander Djerbi 14 December, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

Thanks!

There will be a new trailer next week and hopefully a new post as well on this blog to give you some details about the tactical aspect of the game.

Skander

chrisboers 14 December, 2012 @ 4:09 pm   9

Hmmm. 11.99€ is pretty steep for a PSN Indie-game. You must really have tons of gameplay in there to warrant a price tag like that.
You’re up to the likes of Vikings Attack, which is cheaper, AND offers cross-buy to Vita.

Well, I still wish you a very succesful launch next week!

Skander Djerbi 14 December, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

@chris> Take a look at the gameplay and content and you’ll tell me :) We worked hard to bring you something really different. It’s been 2 years and a half of development

We are talking about at least 15h-20h of offline gamepelay

AND there is online multiplayer. C’mon….:)

Indies need you !

Skander

Skander Djerbi 14 December, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

@chris> Also, it’s not a sequel,not a prequel It’s not another TPS or FPS. It’s indie but it’s not a puzzle platformer. There’s no online pass or whatsoever, and we won’t ask you to pay twice the price you paid for the game to get the final chapter. Anyway there’s a demo, try it :)

nakano1987 14 December, 2012 @ 4:46 pm   10

The trailer reminds me the old-good Death Rally. So, I will try the demo soon. Does this have a local multiplayer and for how many players? 2-4 players would be great!

Skander Djerbi 14 December, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

@Nakano. I’m glad you mention Death rally and I see you’re from Finland, that makes sense :). Death rally is THE game that inspired the Fuel Overdose project in the very beginning. But if you try the demo (and the full game of course :) ) You’ll see that tried to bring many new cool stuff to the top-down view genre

No local multiplayer, “only” online up to 8 players.

Skander.

TINTINTB303 14 December, 2012 @ 6:45 pm   11

Ooh, I remember this from a few months back. :-)

Loving the cell shaded look you have gone for. Makes it stand out from the crowd in my humble opinion :-D

WHY is this not available on the NZ PSN store? (I’ll just it from the UK store, but it’s a shame lots of other Kiwis are missing out).

I might have to buy this, I’ve been looking for a good car combat game for ages and everything this year has been disappointing (including Twisted Metal).

Why is there no local multiplayer? have you not played Mashed or Micro Machines? those games were AWESOME in local mp and this game would’ve been perfect for it!

Skander Djerbi 15 December, 2012 @ 8:47 am

@supvic / NZ

Because I don’t have my NZ rating yet. That’s the only reason. That’s one of the consequences of indie self-publishing: you have to do everything by yourself, and sometimes you don’t manage to do all the things you planned on time. But I’ll work on it.

Skander

Skander Djerbi 15 December, 2012 @ 8:48 am   13

@supvic / local multiplayer

No local multiplayer for 2 reasons:

1. Correct me if I’m wrong but the 2 games you are mentioning don’t require splitting the screen because they are not pure racing games. Their gameplay is based on “staying on the screen”, so they don’t have our constraints. If we have to do go for for a split screen solution (which is thechnically doable) we would have had to make compromises that we considered not acceptable in terms of graphics, framerateand gameplay (we have 8 vehicles on the race track, not 4).

2. The second reason is because we wanted to push online multiplayer. I see many games that feature multiplayer modes while their servers are empty and I don’t want that for FO. Fuel Overdose is a new IP, and to be totally honest with you, I have no idea how many people will be online. The multiplayer mode is a blast because that where the tactical aspect really shines and I don’t want you guys to miss that part. And splitting the multiplayer community in two (offline and online) is a risk I didn’t want to take.

Skander

Skander Djerbi 15 December, 2012 @ 8:48 am   14

@supvic / NZ

No local multiplayer for 2 reasons:

Skander

AZAG-THOTH 16 December, 2012 @ 5:54 am   15

The game is looking sweet, i might buy it : )
And how about trophies? Will it have platinum?

Skander Djerbi 16 December, 2012 @ 8:28 am

@ AZAG-THOTH / trophies

Yes, the game offers trophies. But not Platinum, because Fuel Overdose is a PSN exclusive title.

Skander

FUELoverdose 17 December, 2012 @ 4:10 pm   16

I’ve tested the demo, I was just amazed on how smooth and deep combat systems feels like, playing this game like the good old, rock’and’roll racing makes me remember my childhood.

Few downs though, sometimes the action is too packed, the melee becomes a crazy ffa, and it can be a biy confusing… Besides that caracters are gorgeouse (especially lene, her history mode is going to be hot hot hot i bet ) ..

I can’t wait to buy this game on the day it comes out !!! its gonna be the perfect christmas gift for the nostalgeious nerd sleeping inside of me :D