Posted 14 December

Vote for your favourite PlayStation games of 2012!

GOTY_LogoLockUp

Yes, it’s that time of year. No doubt you’ve seen many critics announce their picks for 2012′s gaming highlights – but now it’s your turn! Today, we’re pleased to announce the first-ever PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards – a chance for PlayStation fans to select the best of the best in PlayStation gaming for 2012.

Voting is easy: Simply click on your pick from the list of nominees below. Don’t see the game you want to vote for? No problem! Just select the write-in option at the bottom of the poll. We’ll be back next Wednesday 19th December to reveal your winners – and reveal our team picks too.

We’ve put a lot of thought into our first PlayStation Blog Game of the Year Awards, but this is a first step in a much bigger journey. While we’re teaming up with the US PlayStation Blog on this, next year we hope to tackle these awards in an even more global way, expanding them to the Latin America and Asia PlayStation Blog communities too.

Be sure to let us know if you have any bright ideas for next year, whether it’s new categories, an improved voting process or anything else. We’re all ears.

But enough talk – it’s time to vote!

PS3

It wasn’t easy condensing the best of this year’s Blu-ray line-up into a manageable list, but we did it – barely. Vote once from the list of 15 finalists below. If you think we missed a game, vote for it using the write-in option at the bottom.

PS3 (PSN only) This category is dedicated to PS3 titles that have only (or initially) been released on PlayStation Network, excluding full-priced digital Blu-ray games. We counted standalone games, free games, and episodic series such as The Walking Dead.

PS Vita

Vote for your favourite physically-released PS Vita game of 2012. Don’t see your favourite on the list? Write in your vote at the bottom of the poll below.

PS Vita (PSN only) We dedicated this category to digitally released PS Vita titles that weren’t available on store shelves, including free games such as Treasure Park and Frobisher Says.

PlayStation Mobile

The newest member of the PlayStation family is only a few months old, but it’s already attracted a solid launch line-up of bite-sized gems.

Most Anticipated PS3 GameWhat upcoming PS3 game are you most eager to play? Vote from the list of 20 nominees or write in your selection at the bottom of the poll.

Most Anticipated PS Vita Game

Choose your most-anticipated PS Vita game, physical or digital, or write in a pick at the bottom of the poll app.

Best Use of PlayStation Move This year saw some intriguing applications of PlayStation’s motion controller, from music creation to an entire new chapter of Portal 2. We counted any application of PlayStation Move, from full-priced Blu-ray game, to PSN download, to add-on packs.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

67 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

Ishan_The_King 14 December, 2012 @ 6:06 pm   1

A little surprised to not see Hitman: Absolution on the best of 2012 list…. Well its getting my vote alright. And hands-down Golden Abyss for Vita.

chrisboers 14 December, 2012 @ 6:10 pm   2

“PlayStation.Blog: Most Anticipated PS Vita Game – US” ? US?

Fred Dutton 15 December, 2012 @ 12:03 am

Apologies – that’s a glitch in our system. Like I said – we’re syncing with the US on this for a more global view, so all votes will go into a larger pot. That said, it shouldn’t read like that. Tweaking now!

supersmith2500 14 December, 2012 @ 6:15 pm   3

Had to go for Black Ops II for GOTY beacuse I would say Mass Effect 3 but because it had a controversial ending and caused outrage for the fans. I went for Black Ops II instead because that game sold really well and I’m getting for christmas.

AeroEvolution 14 December, 2012 @ 6:16 pm   4

i voted Sleeping Dogs as my PS3 GOTY

“Most Anticipated PS Vita Game” That list does not look good at all, Hope for better vita games in 2013

Tranquil-Fury 14 December, 2012 @ 6:19 pm   5

Didn’t see an option for Counter Strike: Global offensive as a most anticipated game of 2013. Does this mean we will be getting it this year or 2014?

iriihutoR48 14 December, 2012 @ 6:25 pm   6

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward both had physical Vita releases in Europe. I know because I have them. They’re in the wrong category.

Fred Dutton 15 December, 2012 @ 12:05 am

True – we had to pick one category, and we figured most people would have picked this up on download.

iriihutoR48 14 December, 2012 @ 6:26 pm   7

^ And New Little King’s Story I meant.

S-o-h-a-i-l 14 December, 2012 @ 6:29 pm   8

Was down to Assassins Creed 3 & Far Cry 3 for Game of the Year for me, a great for Ubisoft – if there was ‘Studio of the Year’, it would definitely go to them.

@supersmith2500 – You have voted for a game that you do not own on the basis that it sold well? Surely it is more appropriate to vote for the game you enjoyed the most? No? OK then…..

Jamesyp00 14 December, 2012 @ 6:37 pm   10

Assassins creed 3 and Dishonored for most Disappointing games of the year, such dull games, regret spending anything on them.
Far cry 3, Journey, the walking dead and fina fantasy xiii-2 were my picks.

Fred Dutton 15 December, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Dishonored? Really? I had such a fun time with that game! Each to their own I guess!

markymillertime5 14 December, 2012 @ 6:39 pm   11

Singstar. Sense the tone.

TINTINTB303 14 December, 2012 @ 6:47 pm   12

@Fred

When does the voting close??

I have Far Cry 3 but had no time to play it yet ;-)

Project2insanity 14 December, 2012 @ 6:52 pm   13

For PSN, I’d choose Okami HD. I went against entering it since it’s a remaster. Journey for the win!

As for future polls on this scale, I’d say two weeks to vote would be more fitting.

@supersmith2500; The idea is to vote for what you personally found to be best but by all means, if those factors do it for you, fair enough.

@Jamesyp00; I thought Dishonored was awesome, so much freedom. Alas, at least we can agree The Walking Dead was top-notch!

Jamesyp00 14 December, 2012 @ 6:56 pm   14

@Project2insanity, The game was pretty but it was also very dull, especially if you played non-lethal as there was only two ways to take people down, The story and characters were so dull and the voice acting was awful too, the game was way to hyped to be so boring and un fun.
The walking dead was fantastic though, bring on season 2!

DoYouLikeMyID 14 December, 2012 @ 6:59 pm   15

I know New Little King’s story had a physical release in Denmark, so why is it on the “PSN only” list?

nice to see playstation mobile on there

WE DONT HAVE IT SO WE CANT VOTE FOR IT

I Chose GTA V as my most anticepated because even though The Last of Us is of naugthy dog value and brings something different to the table, GTA V just looks to be and amazing game. which i look very much forward too. so my most anticepated list would look alot like this:

1: GTA V
2: The Last of Us
3: Bioshock Infinite

hornorable Mention Metro 2033 – Last Light.

INTERista_DMC 14 December, 2012 @ 7:24 pm   18

PS Mobile Game of the Year 2012

like VaVeTi said WE DONT HAVE IT SO WE CANT VOTE FOR IT

PlayStation.Blog: Most Anticipated PS3 Game

there’s more than one game am waiting for

Beyond: Two Souls
God of War: Ascension
Grand Theft Auto 5
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Puppeteer
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Watch Dogs

Avengerrr 14 December, 2012 @ 7:33 pm   19

The best PS Vita game of the year had to be uncharted. A3 liberation could of had it if the game weren’t buggy. It really did come so close as well.

Also correct: Virtue’s last reward and Little kings story are not PSN only vita games. They are retail also.

European_Gamer 14 December, 2012 @ 7:37 pm   20

I agree with Ishan, Hitman should have been on the list instead of games like NBA or MBL.

THE_FORCE 14 December, 2012 @ 7:45 pm   21

Uncharted: Golden Abyss – game of the year overall for me. Worth the purchase of the Vita alone.

A_Nonny_Moose 14 December, 2012 @ 7:53 pm   22

Wow, I haven’t played any of the top 15 retail PS3 games. Went for Darksiders 2 in the end. The most difficult poll was most anticipated Vita title. Looking forward to EDF, DOA5+, NGS2+, and Sly 4 all equally.

sleeping dogs goty
The Walking Dead: Episodes 1 through 5 psn game
WipEout 2048 vita
Super Stardust Delta vita psn
rebel ps mobile
Grand Theft Auto 5 2013
Murumasa: The Demon Blade
Sorcery

my choices

DragonGuard666 14 December, 2012 @ 8:46 pm   24

Voted XCOM: Enemy Unknown as game of the year. Just the perfect tactical game for me and you can really get sucked into it and the soldiers and it hurts to see a top soldier who’s been through so many missions get killed.

Sleeping Dogs was 2nd for me, pretty good story, great hand to hand combat. Really looking forward to a Sleeping Dogs 2 in the future as I feel this one was a kind of tester to see what kind of following it could get.

3rd is Borderlands 2. Really fun game with 2 of my favourite characters in Handsome Jack and Tiny Tina. The only reason this is not rated higher is because I’ve played this sort of game before in the original, the others are new concepts to me.

MissDreamer 14 December, 2012 @ 8:47 pm   25

Borderlands 2 has to be my favourite ps3 game of the year even though I haven’t completed it yet and Rainbow Moon is my favourite psn game of the year and I haven’t completed that either. Still enjoying these great games. :)

I cant believe Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn isnt on the most anticipated games for 2013 list :O

No Need For Speed: Most Wanted on the Vita?
That was the best game I’ve played on it, by far.

Fred Dutton 15 December, 2012 @ 12:08 am

If that’s your pick, enter it in the field below the form! It will be counted!

And agreed – that was a great port!

steven_dutch 14 December, 2012 @ 9:39 pm   28

Uncharted: Golden Abyss and The Pinball Arcade were my favourite titles this year. Played mostly on my Vita this year.

uberkakis 14 December, 2012 @ 9:56 pm   29

How on earth is The Unfinished Swan not in the “Best use of Move”-category?

No game has used motion controls quite this well since Skyward Sword!

Stonesthrow 14 December, 2012 @ 10:37 pm   30

AC3, Unfinished swan, Gravity rush, Tales from space, /, GTA5, Killzone Mercenary, Datura.

Likewise Steven_dutch. The PS3 has taken a back seat to the Vita this year. Best portable gaming device by far. :)

GamerOfThrone 15 December, 2012 @ 12:07 am   32

Zero Escape and Gravity Rush for PS vita :) ( and i wanted to add Blazblue :) )

And for the most anticipated game, i took Soul Sacrifice but i would like to take One PIece Pirate Warriors 2…Unfortunetaly, i dont know why : He’s not announced in Europe for Vita, just for PS3… Sad choice…

Persona 4 Golden for the PS vita amazing game one of the best RPGs Ever …………

Ratchet and Clank Q-Force FTW!!

and LOL at CSGO not even being on the most anticipated list when the US already got the game months ago.. FAIL.

k1ll1ng5pr33-NL 15 December, 2012 @ 1:04 am   35

GotY – Other: Dragon’s Dogma
Most anticipated: GTA V

My votes:
X-Com
Journey
Gravity Rush
Sound Shapes
Haven’t really played any PSM games.
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Persona 4

I wonder why the most expected Vita game vote is for the US and not EU?

vonhammer 15 December, 2012 @ 1:16 am   37

voted
Journey
Journey was close with Tokyo jungle
The Last of Us
PixelJunk 4am even though I think it could of worked with a DS3,it was the most fun I’d had.It was so close with HOTD4

By only listing some games you are influencing the vote. SHould have made people type everything so they had to think about what they liked rather than get reminded of selected games in a list.

Just saying…

Hey Fred, is this “one vote per account” or can we vote 100 x per day?

ANd to many good titels on there, I can’t choose!

i will say One piece pirate warriors was the game i like most this year :P

Beyond: Two Souls i really want to play that
and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch ;)

Jamesyp00 15 December, 2012 @ 8:03 am   41

@Fred
What was it that you liked about dishonored?
The dull powers? The boring story? The unconvincing and lazy voice acting? The pointless morality meter? The over powered blink killing any exploration? I actually have a very hard time understanding people actually enjoying the game at all, but like you said though to each there own.

Fred Dutton 15 December, 2012 @ 9:11 am

I thought it had some of the best voice acting in recent memory actually – Brad Dourif, Susan Sarandon, Carrie Fisher, Lena Headey, Chloë Grace Moretz – all great actors. As for the plot – I’m not someone who really plays games for their stories but I thought Dishonored’s was solid and had a few pleasingly grown-up themes. Of course, the gameplay is totally subjective. I enjoyed it, but I can see that it might not to be everyone’s tastes.

Jamesyp00 15 December, 2012 @ 8:13 am   42

Don’t want to sound too snobbish at that, it’s just me and four friends also picked up the game being really hyped for it on launch. It was the very next day we all spoke about how boring it was and everyone was just so disappointed, Nice art style at least, and ending song was neat.

Didn’t play any of the ps3 games on this list then couldn’t remember what came out this year… so went for Catherine :) also got conflicted on most anticipated, Ni no kuni, watchdogs or versus or last guardian!? Went for Ni no kuni but really it’s all four :/ really want versus :(

Dishonored & far cry 3 are the GOTY for me both games share number 1 spot..

dark_angel69 15 December, 2012 @ 10:54 am   45

PlayStation.Blog: Most Anticipated PS3 Game
Ugh the choices are so hard. What to pick?!?! God of war, The last of us, GTA5, Watchdog, Fuse, Bioshock.. Gona need to narrow it down between The last of Us and Watchdog. Why these choices so hard?!?!?! :( The Last of Us it is!! :P

Havn’t played Dishonored yet but will be on Christmas so for me it’s AC3.

Chocobo115 15 December, 2012 @ 10:59 am   46

Game of the year ps3 : Tales of Graces F
Most Anticipated PS Vita Game: persona 4 Golden

stukijani 15 December, 2012 @ 1:02 pm   47

GTA5 gyere már:)

dominater444 15 December, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   48

Sly Cooper FTW!!btw Fred any news about a demo of Sly Cooper thieves in time,I heard somewhere around januari,…

@Fred
Lena Headey speaks in Dishonored? Curse you for that info!
I wanted to wait with that game. But Lena is nothing but awesome, how shall I resist now? Tell me that she got a very minor role in the game, come on!

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 9:22 am

Heh, you should just jump in! Really fun game, IMO. She doesn’t have a big role, but she’s definitely in there!

Jamesyp00 15 December, 2012 @ 2:28 pm   50

@Golwar She’s the maid at the hub world, even speaking to her is completely optional.
You might be a bit disappointed though, even though there big names, they bring just lacklustre and awful performances, they should have just hired nobodies.

tbh psn needs minecraft would kick the rest to the side any info if psn will get it any time soon

DeividHasselhoff 15 December, 2012 @ 5:11 pm   52

Like few others i also voted for Sleeping dogs for GOTY.
Although there wasn’t as much hype as say typical EA release would’ve had, one of the best sandbox games out there

to me
far cry 3 = winner second ac 3
vita = ac3

wanted 2013 = ni no kuni + gta5 – the last of us (sp) – ….
not in u list = ragnorack odysee/pantasy star online on vita

move = failing in mi eyes
best vita psn game = zen pinbal 2
on ps3 i vote walking dead

+ dark souls 2 2013 ????? = also big like but i tink 2014

specialalaa 16 December, 2012 @ 12:00 pm   55

My game of the year is Mass Effect 3; great gameplay, storyline and multiplayer-addiction. My anticipated game is The Last of Us, hands down.

dean1076 (51)
totally agree with you

teraria = wil be nothing next to minecraft .

I have voted for Singstar XMB and for the lame new PSN Store.

I hope I win!

TrulyALie 17 December, 2012 @ 3:13 am   58

As I haven’t played Far Cry 3 yet, there’s really only one contender for best on-disc game of the year, and that’s Spec Ops: The Line. Easily the bravest game I’ve seen in a very long time, and probably the best example of postmodernism in games since MGS2.

InLikeFlynn- 17 December, 2012 @ 7:45 am   59

Sleeping Dogs PS3 GotY

DINOsarus_rex 17 December, 2012 @ 9:16 am   60

Sleeping Dogs Game of The Year – This Gen’s Vice City :D

Voted for XCOM, it’s absulutely unique on this generation of consoles. Surprised to see MLB as an option to vote for – does anyone play this here? Pity I couldn’t vote for more than 1 game in the upcoming titles poll, Beyond and The Last of Us had to make way for God of War: Ascension.

Ah damn can I retract my vote?! Voted for Mass Effect which is (in my opinion) the best game on the list but I completely forgot about Saints Row the Third. I’ve not had so much fun playing a video game probably ever, should definately have deserved a mention.

Actually scratch that SR:TT came out in 2011… Mass Effect 3 it is!

Gravity Rush has got this. ;)

Ryusennin 18 December, 2012 @ 1:10 pm   65

Interesting that The Last Guardian is not even in the anticipated list…

Just sayin’.