Posted 14 December

Weekend Debate: Giving the gift of gaming

Hey there everybody and welcome to the final Weekend Debate of 2012. We’ll have plenty of great Blog content coming your way over the festive season but it’s not really practical to run another debate while so many of the Blog team are out of the office shovelling mince pies down their necks. So, let’s make this one count!

It seems only right and fair to take a nice Christmassy angle this week. So here you go:

You’ve got a close friend or family member who has never turned on a console before. You want to give them ‘the gift of gaming’ for Christmas. Which system and game would you put under the tree as a perfect introduction to your hobby, and why?

Your prize this week is a good ‘un, I think. The eight most entertaining and/or thoughtful responses get a download voucher for Uncharted: Fight For Fortune – Complete Edition (including all DLC packs) on PS Vita and, for good measure, a code for Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune on PS3.

Should you have preconceptions about Fight for Fortune, put them aside – it’s a really fun little time-sink. Trailer below to refresh your memories! Good luck!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

145 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

Project2insanity 14 December, 2012 @ 5:08 pm   1

I’m guessing this’ll be a popular answer; PS3 with Heavy Rain simply because it’s easy to play due to the prompts and the story is a great transition from film to game, leading onto grander endeavours. Done.

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Time to announce this week’s winner. First winner here – Heavy Rain is a great shout – it’s a title that I’m sure would surprise a lot of non-gamers.

just for fun.

id give them mega drive with all the sonic titles and streets of rage as well 2 pads.
this was the machine that i loved most in my childhood and really got me hooked on gaming and id hope it would do the same to them.

however all that would prob be quite expensive and i would be cheaper getting them a ps3 super slim with the sega mega drive collection.

Decisions Decisions ..good luck to all and to all a good night ;)

NoddingPenguin 14 December, 2012 @ 5:10 pm   3

A PlayStation 3 with a years subscription to PlayStation Plus is the way to go here. There’s absolutely no chance of giving them a game they don’t like. If anything, you’ll be giving them multiple games they will like over the span of an entire year for the price of one game. All I want for Christmas is a years supply of games… and you~.

NoddingPenguin 14 December, 2012 @ 5:13 pm   4

If my last answer doesn’t count because I mentioned PlayStation Plus instead of an actual game, then I’d have to go with Uncharted 2. Story telling? Check. Amazing single player? Check. Amazing multiplayer? Check. Uncharted 3 for the same reasons, but I’d definitely introduce them to 2 first. It was my personal favourite and it’d be better to play them in order I think. Maybe even the Drakes Fortune first so they can see the huge leap from Drakes Fortune to Among Thieves? AHHHH THE CHOICES THEY BUUURN.

Ps3 with a years subscription to ps+ some great games all year and fantastic offers as well. You can’t go wrong with that.

Zero__Kiryu 14 December, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   6

It’s tough, with my current finances I’d have to settle for an extra control pad. Some dude snacks and some co-op hilarity, Lego Star Wars + Ratchet & Clank then if I really want to show my superiority its a game of Call of Duty O.o

That or Persona 3 Portable, they can have my old PSP (It’s now downloaded to my Vita), that game could turn Jack Thompson!

RossyWilson 14 December, 2012 @ 5:16 pm   7

It would have to be The Walking Dead on ps3. Firstly because the game does not have very complex controls and is pretty easy to complete but mainly because it has a great story that gamers and non-gamers can connect to. My sister never used to play video games that much but i recently let her play the walking dead and she fell in love with it and has now moved on to other games such as heavy rain and uncharted since completling it.

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

Another winner here, and another great suggestion. Telltale’s game showed that it’s possible to please both ends of the gaming spectrum – from casual to core.

LittleBigPlanet Vita. Why? Simple. Not only would its delightfully charming graphical style and Stephen Fry’s soothing voiceover ease the recipient into a calm sense of nirvana whilst dealing with a medium so often accused of being unforgiving towards newcomers who’ve never held a controller before, but the gameplay itself also lends itself perfectly to the ‘introductory’ function of this exercise. With each facet of the game’s control system thoroughly explained in a gentle, yet non-patronising manner, the new gamer should have little difficulty getting to grips with the touch-screen interface and physics platforming mechanics.

Of course, that’s without giving mention to the outrageous number of community-created levels and intuitive gameplay creation tools, two bells and whistles that could theoretically make this quaint little title last forever.

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

Agreed – Mm do a great job of introducing pretty complex systems in LBP. Enjoy your codes.

tapantaola 14 December, 2012 @ 5:16 pm   9

A PS3 Super Slim with Uncharted 3. That game is like a blockbuster Hollywood movie and it’s very appealing, even to non-gamers… that says it all!

TizioVerde 14 December, 2012 @ 5:16 pm   10

If i have to stick with the latest gen most probably a PS3 with:
-Demon’s Souls(because it’s a the essence of gaming)
-NieR(artistical masterpiece)
-1 year of PS Plus(a lot of random ejoyable gaming throught the year)

A pretty good start to get into gaming.

A PS3 with LittleBigPlanet 2, it’s the perfect game to start off with. It’s a brilliant game to show off the system and with all the different modes, creating your own levels plus the collectables you’ll play it for ages at all hours of the day

Avengerrr 14 December, 2012 @ 5:18 pm   12

PS3 (Any version as long as it has good space), PS plus so the person can explore great gaming every month and have some fun, PS Move because I know some people like my Mum get confused with all the different buttons, so Move simplifies things and allows a bit more tactile contact with the game. Ultimately the Game would be LittleBigPlanet 2 because it is fun for all age groups, compatible with Move and allows the player to experience lots of different game types: overhead RPGs, puzzles, platformers.

The reason I’d choose a PS3 is because of PSN games like The Unfinished Swan and Journey which are beautiful and give a lot of credit to gaming culture. Also it is a very good console for media ie. video/blu-ray/ oh and music unlimited which this Christmas they could get cheap on Plus too.

jehuty_2174 14 December, 2012 @ 5:18 pm   13

hard choice.
But i would put a PS3 down for that person. Because as a gaming system it also delievers a good multimedia experience. Bluray, Netflix etc. The person would already appreciate it one way or the other.
The Game to go along with it would be Heavy Rain hands down. Many other games could be in its place. But the thing that separates it from most, is that its very simple to grasp and the compeling story-telling really drives you in the experience.
before that person know it, they have finished the game and as an extra they have mastered the controller and can then move to new Games.

Flower on PSN is my answer,
Its a very simple concept of a game but is very rewarding with great effects and audio.
Very easy for a non gamer to grasp the controls and a great way for a 1st time gamer to get involved in a game to enjoy and not feel threatened of losing the race/fight as with other games.

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Another winner here. Interesting to see so many shout-outs for thatgamecompany’s output…

HitmanSB07 14 December, 2012 @ 5:19 pm   15

To be honest, it would depend greatly on the family member.

My little sister is 10 years old and she barely plays games. I tend to be able to coerce her into a coop game on my PS3 when the game seems “cartoony” enough for her. She loves stuff like Rayman Origins and we played the Lego Lord of the Rings demo together so i’ll be picking that up soon too, as she seemed to love it.

My parents on the other hand, would be quite difficult to convince. I might convince (i.e. force) them to play Lego Lord of the Rings with me and my sis but other than that it’d be hard. My dad used to love playing Tomb Raider and stealth-based games (MGS and Syphon Filter- great taste, right?) on the PSOne so it might be easy enough to get him into Uncharted or the Metal Gear Solid HD collection.

My mother would be a hopeless case though, the last game she played was Puzzle Bobble back in the 90′s. The only thing I could think of would be a Playstation Move and some sort of family game on that, perhaps Sports Champions or Book of Spells (she’s a huge Harry Potter fan).

Other than my family, practically everyone I know already plays video games to some extent. Honestly, sometimes i’m convinced I might be adopted :P .

Rainybeetle 14 December, 2012 @ 5:19 pm   16

A PS3 for the good lady’s bedroom. She has no idea of the online functions and I’d have endless fun as I fired up LBP in the room for her, informed her that the wee sack guys talk just like our children then watch her freak out as the sack characters walk up to the screen and speak to her personally while the kids are in the other room online. I know it’s childish but I’m laughing writing it never mind experiencing it.

my 7 year old is really hyperactive so anything with motion control games… be it move, Kinect or wii. got to tire the little bugger out at Xmas

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 14 December, 2012 @ 5:21 pm   18

A ps3 because there is so much to do on it; Netflix or LoveFilm for movies; Ps store for games and the online gaming portion.

I would give them Littlebigplanet 2 as it is multiple games in 1 – a classic game fit for the whole family!

runicdagaz 14 December, 2012 @ 5:21 pm   19

It depends on who you’re buying it for. While the popular answer here will be ps3, fact of the matter is that there are 3 different ‘main’ consoles, each with their own target audience.

For stuff like 3rd person action/adventure games, rpg’s… I prefer a ps3.
For first person shooters, racing games… I prefer the 360. (unpopular opinion. Sue me :p )
For more lighthearted games, I would’ve said the Wii, but the Wii U seems to branch out more. I can’t really recommend it until I’m more familiar with the console.

So basically, see who you’re buying it for. Chances are you know them somewhat, and you can make an educated guess about the most suitable platform.

Although, in the end, most big titles are multiplatform nowadays. And truth to be told, you can’t really go wrong with either one of them.

Game on!

forget to mention in my post the PS3 as it is a all round media centre aswell

nagash1979 14 December, 2012 @ 5:21 pm   21

A PS3 with Little Big Planet 2, jump right in fun and help them around. Before you know it they’ll be playing those award winning PSN tittles and getting ps+. Watch bluerays or stream movies, grab a music unlimited subscription…. They’ll be hooked!

doomsday619 14 December, 2012 @ 5:22 pm   22

I have to say PS Vita and the game Little Deviants, the only reason for that is my wife and mum who never play games tried it when i first got the Vita and it took some time to get it back.
Its the short little games that use the environment which they have never seen before and easy to use and learn controls.
It has also turned my wife into nicking my Vita all the time to play it. Leaving me behind on completing Assassins Creed Liberation.

A NES with Super Mario Bros. And not to a friend of my, but i have a nephew of only three years old. I got a NES when I was four and it made me fall in laugh with gaming, it was easy to use, and great, great fun. So for a starter it’s the best system.

i would give them a ps3, journey and the uncharted trilogy to show how memorable games are and how videogames arn’t just all pointless shooters with a barely structured story

For a person, who hasn’t used one before, it would have to be PS3. The versatility and PS+ offers whole experience. And on top of the creme de la creme person would get one month of Netflix from me.

If I had to pick one game, it would have to be exclusive and my choice would be Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

balticurry2 14 December, 2012 @ 5:32 pm   26

Definitely a Vita with either Uncharted Golden Abyss, FIFA or a PSN voucher. It’s great to be able to game on the go!

Even my two year old cousin likes going on my Vita and playing the Angry Birds mini! It’s really great fun and hopefully will only get better!

Kinda funny this is the question, as i’ve recently bought uncharted 3 for my uncle’s christmas present :) shhh don’t tell! ;) it’s such a great game to enter the gaming world with, most definately because of it’s seamless introduction to the games mechanics with the fixed camera angles bar fight! As regards to console, i guess i’d have to go for ps3, since that is the game’s platform, however if i’m basing this regardless of game, i’d probably go with a ps vita seeing as it would probably be easier for a newbie to get to grips with if they could fit it in their hands. By the way, if i win, could you pass the “fight for fortune” code onto someone else as i do not own a vita, think of it as my christmas prezzie to them! i’ll happily accept the uncharted: drakes fortune for ps3 though! ;)

ChemicalBacon90 14 December, 2012 @ 5:40 pm   28

It would have to be a PS3 and a copy of Demon’s Souls!

Why? Well, because they’d undoubtedly succumb to its brutal challenge after mere minutes, which would therefore free up the TV for me to play whatever I wanted. :D

Bah, humbug!

PS1 with FFVII.The reason it’s a PS1 and not a PS3 is down to simplicity.To many distractions with a PS3.I long for the good old days when you bought a game and played it.There was no multiplayer or dlc to ruin it.There was no blogs with people arguing over the stupidist of things.

FFVII for obvious reasons,great story,great characters,full of emotions and is a journey you will get sucked into.If this game doesn’t make you into a gamer then nothing will.

It all depends on age. If it was a relative aged 7-12 I would have to give them a PS Vita with a copy of Lego Lord of the Rings because 1 its easy(ish) and 2 what kid doesnt like lego?

Now, if it was my cousin or anyone else aged 15-18 it would have to be a PS3 with Mass Effect 2. The reason for my choice? If your going to introduce anyone that age to gaming, get them hooked with one of the best! :D

For anyone over 20 I would give a PS3 and Red Dead Redemption. Although they may struggle at first with the controls and amount of freedom your given, they will experience awesome (and sometimes wacky) characters and an ending that would bring any man to tears.

These games and consoles would show any newcomer what gaming is all about :)

I’d give them a Sega Master System.

That’s not where I started (I was well versed in Spectrum ZX and Atari before then) but the SMS was the first time I really loved a game, and realised “Hey, I’m a gamer!”

The graphics were funky, the games were not too time consuming, but fun each time you switched on.

Games such as Sonic, Golden Axe, Alex Kidd in Miracle World had me hooked for YEARS.

And it came with a built in game (mine was Alex Kidd, my best friend’s was Sonic) – win/win! Two of the greatest games of all time… Free?!

If that doesn’t get a person addicted to GAMING then really, I don’t know what would. A PS3 with a PSN voucher to download Alex Kidd, Sonic and Golden Axe maybe!3

Stonesthrow 14 December, 2012 @ 5:45 pm   32

It would definitely be a Playstation 3, to show how far console gaming has gotten. Pc elitists usually look down on our consoles, but I am still constantly amazed at how our consoles have progressed throughout the years. I also have an obsessive infatuation for the PS/Dualshock controller, I always loved its perfectly simple design and don’t completely feel right playing with another controller (granted, I do love the N64 controller a lot too.)
As for software, my first choice would probably be Uncharted 3. An absolute flagship for the third Playstation. Beautiful, technically refined, realistic performances, and that whole climbing mechanic just provides an extra touch which you can enjoy as either noob or hardcore.

I would give my nephew and his 2 sons a PS3 with Uncharted 2, Flower and Plus so they can play LBP2.
These games are the top in cinematic gaming (uncharted), artfull, beautifull and easy to get into (Flower) and awesome platforming and creativity that lasts for years and is fun and you can learn on the side (LBP2).

I have two options here. One is Journey + PS3. The other is Mass Effect Trilogy + PC. I like Mass Effect with keyboard, mouse and 1920×1200 resolution more than in PS3 with a gamepad.

I would choose one of this two gifts depending on the person I’m going to give it, but if is as an introduction to gaming, Journey + PS3 has more chances to be my choice.

My brother never had a console of his own but always did enjoy watching me play. So when he moved abroad last Christmas I got him a PS3 with Gran Turismo 5.

Reasons for choosing the ps3:
1. It is the best console out there and amazing value for money.
2. If he never got into gaming he could still make excellent use of it as a blu ray player + media hub.
3. So we can go head to head online!
4. There’s tons of games available to satisfy any taste. He could get triple A titles for less than 10 quid off amazon or subscribe to PS Plus and never have to worry about buying another game!
5. Journey.

Reasons for picking GT5:
1. He is a petrolhead like me so I knew if he was ever going to spend time on 1 game that would be it!
2. He can keep playing it for years and years to come until he gets 100%, so again he would never have to worry about getting any other game if he did not wish to!
3. He could spend months playing with the photo mode alone.
4. So I could humiliate him online.
5. Because it’s got all our childhood dream supercars in it.
6. Because it’s got rally cars, karts and Formula 1 cars in it as well, so it really counts as more than 1 game!
7. So he could show off the graphics to his friends!

XnoobsquadX 14 December, 2012 @ 5:51 pm   36

i’d go with a vita and mutant blob attacks. reason is simple the vita can be used as a semi tab with internet/youtube/music/movies if he/she doesnt take to the game although i doubt it and mutant blob attacks has a funny story and is rather simple to play even when he/she is done playing he/she can keep on challenging his/her old time/scores to become a Blobber to be reckoned with!

A_Nonny_Moose 14 December, 2012 @ 5:54 pm   37

I’d want them to start where I started, and honestly where I think everyone should start, Nintendo. I haven’t owned a Nintendo console for ages actually but I very much appreciate they’re place in the industry and gamin history. They’re the last console manufacturer that is strictly a gaming company, and I respect them for that.

I started gaming with a NES and Super Mario Bros, and I would introduce someone to gaming with a Wii and Super Mario Galaxy.

geraint09 14 December, 2012 @ 5:55 pm   38

I would get them a nes with super mario bros….Simple controls and easy to pick up and play bust hard to master. then bump them up to a gamecube and super mario sunshine gets a little more complicated but still easy to pick up. then upgrade them to a ps3 so they join me in lego games for no stress gaming.

I’d get them a PlayStation 3 (for obvious reasons) and Race drive GRID as this game is probably the best reaching game I have ever played as its b not just a racing simulator but a team managing game and could possibly be classified as a strategy game due to the team management system. I’d also get them a PlayStation network voucher so they can get some of the essentials games.

Dilemma__ 14 December, 2012 @ 5:58 pm   40

This probably won’t be a popular answer on this blog, but I’d probably give them a Wii and Wii Sports!

I know the Wii isn’t exactly the most popular console amongst hardcore gamers, but I think it deserves a lot of praise for helping to increase the popularity of gaming, particularly amongst the casual audience. in particular. Much like the PS2 achieved with Singstar and Buzz, the Wii has been successful in introducing people, many of whom hadn’t played games before, to gaming.

Indeed, games such as Wii Sports removed many barriers to entry for these people by turning basic human actions, e.g. swinging, jumping, throwing etc, into game actions that anyone could understand and perform. In a way, it breaks down the concept of what a game is to them through familiarity. Quite simply, they just get it.

In sum, I’m convinced that even people who aren’t familiar with games would be able to easily understand Wii Sports and ultimately have fun. And thats the most important thing if you ask me. Having fun.

I can answer this quite well as this is a question I already have dealt with. So it was my girlfriends birthday a few weeks ago and she’s a HUGE Harry Potter fan so I got her a super slim ps3 with 12gb and Book Of Spells for Move and she loves it! She’s never been much of a gamer before but now we can finally play something together that she enjoys! She’s now on psn and I’m helping her get her first platinum. Book of spells is easy to jump into because it’s simple to control and appeals to more casual gamers (and harry potter fans). I’m a hardcore playstation gamer (level 15 20 platinums) and I’m currently getting ready to show her some of the best games like Uncharted 3 and Heavy Rain. I think she’ll particularly enjoy heavy rain as it’s just like a movie and she’s definitely a person that would enjoy the story.

One year I did give my youngest sister a NES system and all my old games for it. In retrospect wished I had kept the cool animation making game I had for it as it could be used in my film making for effects. She did love Super Mario 3 though.

I would probably give my family (my mum and 2 sisters)a ps3 with Rock Band games. I think they would enjoy the sillyness of that. My father bought me my first console (Atari 2600) and my first handheld (Merlin). He always liked video games and if he was still alive I think he would be gobsmacked by the state of growth of technology over the years (he died in ’93). For him it wouldn’t be a console, it could only be gaming on a very high spec pc.

The hubby (well I’m getting a vita and so he has already lined up the games he’s going to be playing on my ps3). But if he wasn’t getting a tablet it would have to be a Wii-U solely for playing Zombi-U.

For me, I want a global store on the psn so I can buy all those quirky Japanese games that will never ever see the light of day in the west. I really really really want Shiki Tei.

S-o-h-a-i-l 14 December, 2012 @ 6:21 pm   43

As a perfect introduction to gaming, it would have to be the Playstation Vita – mainly because its the perfect median that connects the social aspects of handheld devices that have become popular today i.e. Facebook, Internet Browsing, Messaging with the closest to console like experience you can have on such a device. It’s the perfect starter device to get someone into gaming.

The game ? Uncharted Golden Abyss (fitting with this weeks prize) – no one can deny the breathtaking visuals and precise and intuitive controls that game offers. It proved the Vita can deliver said console like experiences that Sony have been stating over and over again, while showcasing all the Vita’s extra functionalities, making it not only the perfect starting game to get a person into gaming, but the perfect app to introduce a newcomer to the system.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Fred :)

Crowlerzors 14 December, 2012 @ 6:24 pm   44

I guess i’d say Rock Band 3 on the PS3. It’s a video game that nobody would really turn down giving a try as it doesn’t need any past experience with gaming. After building up a 400 song library it never gets boring playing it with a large group of friends or family!

It’s awesome how new songs are still coming out on the PSN store so many years later.

I already bought a ps3 to my mom and dad, i bought it because it has a giant library of games to choose from from casual to hardcore, and the most obvious reason, because i have one and we can play together.

The game i bought was SPORTS CHAMPIONS 2 as my dad has got a little OVERWEIGHT since he stopped playing tennis because he now lives in a farm and he doesn’t have any tennis court near him, also because we played the first one in the house of a friend and my mom tried and enjoyed it!

NunoACMendes 14 December, 2012 @ 6:30 pm   46

I’d probably present with 2 wonders, Game Boy and Mario Land 2. It was so addictive back in the that I couldn’t put it down, so I got a charger that was connected directed to the electricity so I wouldn’t have to waste time changing the batteries.

AeroEvolution 14 December, 2012 @ 6:34 pm   47

- Little Big Planet 2 –

FRED You can give my winning download voucher to charity for xmas 8-)

Superbuu3 14 December, 2012 @ 6:37 pm   48

Depending on age:

Kids – Lego Batman 2, Skylanders, Dynasty warriors gundam 2/3 platforming with cute characters are generally the best way to go with kids, I could go for being the cool uncle and going for less cutesy, but why bother when theres already lots of great games for kids. I throw in the gundam games as transformers and roots are cool.

Teens (if old enough for the age) – Saints Row the Third, CoD Black ops 2 (chances are their friends will already be playing this), Uncharted series, Metal gear solid HD collection, EVeryone needs to play uncharted and metal gear solid two ofthe best game series on the console.

Adults – Fallout 3 GOTY, Yakuza series, Uncharted series, Metal gear solid HD collection nothing matches the open worlds of bethesda for breathtaking awesome. Everyone needs to play the metal gear solid games and uncharted. Yakuza games seamlessly combine open world greatness with decent story and gameplay and almost nothing does that well.

All ages: LBP 1/2 everyone needs to play these games.

laticspieman 14 December, 2012 @ 6:46 pm   49

If I had to introduce a family member to gaming I would use a ps3 and the playstation network game ‘When Vikings Attack’.

My dad, much to my disappointment, has always loathed video games. No matter what I play he has never shown an interest. However a few weeks ago I was playing ‘When Vikings Attack’ and it caught my dad’s attention. Not only is the cartoon styled 70s Britain excellently recreated by the developers but also it appealed to my Dad a man who had lived in the 70s.

‘When Vikings Attack’ is an amazing couch coop game. I cannot stress this enough. The game play is simple and addictive. Not only that but it has a hilarious goofy sense of humour and to play the game you only really need to know 2-3 buttons which is perfect for anyone with little experience with video games. The last few weeks playing the game with my Dad have been some of my favourite in my gaming life. As a result I would easily recommend ‘When Vikings Attack’ to anyone who has never touched a console before!

My choice would be Journey on PS3. It’s a gem that managed to get nominated for a damn Grammy! I think it’s the perfect game, not only for newcomers to gaming, but for everyone. It’s a relatively short game that manages to take you through a whole range of emotions. It truly manages to show people with little interest in gaming that gaming is a fantastic form of entertainment.

Journey is perfect because it does so much in so little time, and it’s very easy for anyone to understand its mechanics hence no frustration

extermin8or_ 14 December, 2012 @ 6:59 pm   51

Hmm this is hard but I’d actually probably give them a PS 3 with uncharted double pack and try and get them uncharted with it. T I’m going to say it’s a safe assumption they watch TV and movies and like them if I’m even bothering to try and get them to like gaming most people I know relative or not also tend to read books and enjoy storys. So really all I’m doing is giving them a brilliant gaming experience that is not too different from something they already know quite well. I always found Uncharted reaches a point (even on 2nd,3rd etc playthroughs) that it just reaches this point where just like with a good book you can’t stop playing you’re gripped by the action and the story, and it all feels so very cinematic. I think that however I do it they’d have to have the 1st game 1st because although dated now it is such a good game, and really brings you into the universe 2 and then 3 continue so well. They are also good games to launch them into other mainstream games like Assassins Creed etc. There’s no point giving them a mobile game or somethign to niche/hardcore as they’ll be like “[DELETED]?” for a 1st eperience so a PS£ and Uncharted 1/ Uncharted Double pack would go under the tree for them.

extermin8or_ 14 December, 2012 @ 7:00 pm   52

My post says it’s awaiting moderation :o but i can’t see what was rude about oh and I mean *PS3 not PS£

nickspaargaren25 14 December, 2012 @ 7:04 pm   53

i would give an ps3 and uncharted 3 Drakes decepion

best game evar! :)

yume_2501 14 December, 2012 @ 7:08 pm   54

To a person that has never played a game or has demostrate to be reluctant about them i would buy:

system: PSvita – If there is one system easy to pick up and learn that is the PS vita, no other choices. It has all the type of controls that you can imagine (motion,touch,buttons)so if the person had problems with one type of control (like buttons for example) he can try others and find the better for him/her. Everyone is capable of play on touch because it’s so intuitive and as a plus the new user can learn to play other type of controls because they are all on the same system without switching.

Game: the psvita already have very interesting free games/application that are avaiable on the store that can show how gaming is fun,and Frobisher Says! is one of them, plus it’s free! It use all the psvita capabilities and it’s a very crazy and fun party game with friends.A perfect intro for newcomers! And by the way i’ve order today a Psvita so i will test this ;)

BispooPortable 14 December, 2012 @ 7:13 pm   55

For that crappy game, i will not even try and make a decent post. will i still win?

CookieMonsterES 14 December, 2012 @ 7:13 pm   56

The perfect game for someone who never really cared about videogames is Heavy Rain. Firstly because it’s accessible for anyone (can even be played with a Move controller, which makes things even more intuitive), and secondly because the story the game tells us is fascinating for any kind of person, being younger or older. Games like Heavy Rain makes everyone who play it realize that videogames and movies are at least on par as far as entertainment refers, games can be thrilling, fun and touching as well. There’s absolutely no reason to have any prejudice against videogames and those who play them. Playing games is a nice hobby, more people should try it themselves.

So yeah, I’d go with a PS3 with a Move controller and Heavy Rain.

silmorat1 14 December, 2012 @ 7:21 pm   57

I would ideally give them Sega megadrive with sonic 2 with 2 pads as that was what got me into started into the wonderful life of gaming, so as we are now in the year 2012 may as well get them a PS3 and Sega megadrive ultimate collection that way they would have their fill of games enjoying all 40 that are on the disk. Then after they could go and choose anything that the PS could offer – the choices are limitless, so many great games it may drive Them insane and want to get all call of duty on me!

chrisboers 14 December, 2012 @ 7:40 pm   58

Hah! Easy. I’m currently introducing my nearly-3 year old son to gaming, and the platform of choice is the Vita. He abosolutely loves it, and is totally at ease with all the possibilities of interaction it offers. He doesn’t really use the controllers or buttons, but the touchscreen, sound input, gyroscope and back touchscreen are his default ways of interaction.

His principle game of choice is a very basic one: The Welcome Park, which in a playful way introduces him to all methods of play, in a way that is ideal for his age. His favorite: The ‘Numbers’, wher you have to press 1 to 5. He amazed me when he, without trouble, pressed both ’2′ numbers at once (multi finger :-) ). Also, the flicking of cards, and popping up balls with pressing the back of the Vita, made him roar with laughter.

Next up serious game: Little Deviants. Lots of mini-games, perfectly tailored to young kids, again using all possibilities of the Vita.

Only danger: My son now won’t let me play my Vita any more! (Might have to get a second one ;-) )

Phoenixfire90 14 December, 2012 @ 7:47 pm   59

This Christmas we are having my six-year old niece and her family around for Christmas Day.
I can’t wait to see her face light up when she sees Dragons flying over her head and casting spells with the Move controller on the game, Wonderbook: The Book of Spells (obviously on the TV and not for real LOL!), as she and her family have never played video games before. Strange I know, but true!
So Fred, to answer your question, it would have to be a PS3 with the Wonderbook: The Book of Spells Starter Kit. As this would bring me more joy than anything else this Christmas (apart from a PS4 that is….

i would give him a ps2 and star wars battlefront 2 to introduce him to gaming. because its an epic game that puts you into the battles of star wars. And to make it even better then i would tell him that its a ps2 and the ps3 is even better with hd graphics, blu-ray, better controller, online store and much more.

PayaV87eng 14 December, 2012 @ 7:54 pm   61

PS Move and Sport Champions, hands down. Everybody who played it, loved it.

Chrome-Hazard 14 December, 2012 @ 8:13 pm   62

A Vita with Persona 4 Golden (I know it is not out in EU until early next year, but there is always importing! Another great thing about Sony consoles, region free!) The vita is a wonderful piece of kit that can be played on the go with no sacrifice as far as quality of graphics and game play are concerned, it is like a portable home console! Not to mention its ability to play digital PSP games and PS1 classics! & as for Persona 4 Golden, well it is simply an amazing game packed with tons of content! One of the best RPGs ever created with loads of stuff to do besides the usual grinding through dungeons and such. E.g the many social interactions and goings on, day to day stuff at high school, going to after-school clubs, working part time jobs, flirting with the ladies, etc. Plus it’s packed with vita exclusive content and looks beautiful thanks to the vita simply being so awesome! =D

bmeacham363 14 December, 2012 @ 8:18 pm   63

A PlayStation 3 with Little Big Planet 2 because you can create basically any type of game (Racing, adventure, Arcade etc) and you can create levels however you like, Because of the longevity of the game, it’s really the gift that keeps on giving.

At first I was considering a console from an older generation, due to the simplicity of gaming back then. I don’t mean that in a bad way, mind you, but I’m sure some would appreciate a console without updates, patches, network accounts and so on. Ultimately, though, I have to go with the PS3 and the original LittleBigPlanet. There’s just so much charm and warmth to the game that I’ve never understood someone not liking it, aside from the game’s genre not being their thing. The levels and music are stellar, and I think there’s a subtle genius to some of the characters involved. The story’s a lovely little tale, as well. Besides, who wouldn’t want a game where you can create your own level using a rocket-powered Cheetah-car?

Have a nice weekend, Fred!

DoYouLikeMyID 14 December, 2012 @ 8:30 pm   65

Well, it should come as no surprise that many of us readers would choose a PS3, and I’m no different. The PS3, in my mind, has the most varied choice of games available on any console, so whichever genre my friend would end up preferring, you can probably get it on the PS3.

As for the game, I hope this isn’t cheating, but I would get my frind the Ratchet & Clank HD collection. I LOVED the games back on the PS2, and they still hold up greatly to todays standards, and the game has a combination of many different genres; the perfect introduction to gaming. I mean, it’s an action/adventure-platform-third-person-shooter, with RPG elements in it (And in my opinion it features the greatest arsenal of weapons in gaming history). It doesn’t get much more universal than that, and the collection has the 3 first games in the series, so my friend would have a lot of great content to play. :D

Bacon_Crispies 14 December, 2012 @ 8:37 pm   66

If the person has never turned a console on then you don’t want to give them something like Uncharted, Heavy Rain or any other game that requires quick actions and knowing the controller and icons inside and out, thats why the Wii was successful, simple look and easy buttons that anyone can use.

For me it would have to be a PS3 and Little Big Planet, platformers are one of the easiest types of games to play but are lots of fun, the cute look with bright colours won’t put them off when “everything just looks brown” in other games, the co-op allows you to play with them because every game is better with friends and you can help with the difficult bits.
Also it really only requires two buttons to play, jump and grab. simple.
The large ammount of community levels means they will never run out of fun levels and if they want to spend the time learning the tools they can even make their own levels to show everyone, no other game offers this.

Tetris!! :)

KingCon93 14 December, 2012 @ 9:59 pm   68

Not even a hard choice. You buy them a PlayStation 3 Console and go out of the way to buy the NICE LOOKING previous generation console (Don’t want to offend them on Christmas Day by buying them something ugly) and a £10 PSN voucher. Also provide them with direct instruction to buy the best ever PSN game, Journey by Thatgamecompany.
Everyone can relate to it, so beautifully artistic and emotional to play and it’s so simple anyone can pick up a controller and play it.

Id give them a PS3 and buy them Journey…

Almost everyone I know has a PS3, because gaming is simply tons of fun.

Yet a few people I know haven’t got one because they ” do not enjoy shooting, pillaging and murdering” as if gaming is all about violence and agression and guns and alcohol :(
Well,I would just hand them over a PS3 with that one game, Journey, and leave them be for a week or three untill they’ve played it to its full extent and invite me over to play one of the games they’ve bought ever since I left them standing there… on the border of the world of gaming.

My gaming gift would have to be where it all started for me.. The Amiga 500. Of course I’d accompany that with an external disk drive, along with the games “Cannon Fodder”, “Monkey Island”, “Chaos Engine” and of course.. “Dungeon Master”.

These are the games that opened my eyes to the wonderful world of gaming well over 20 years ago. I would give this gift in the hope it would do the same for the recipient too.

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Nice suggestion – and a code winner. Good luck finding one in decent condition though!

I’d buy an atari with Pong and Centipede, simple but effective gaming and not alot of sense needed to play :), then gradually increase the content of gaming slowly till they get the hang of it, also it’s cheap to buy them and the games now and if anything goes wrong it’s easily affordable to replace.

PsychoDantis 14 December, 2012 @ 10:36 pm   72

For me, it would be a PS3 and Uncharted 2. I started playing it again this last week, and it’s just perfect. It’s a simple, boring answer compared to what some people have said, but I really bellieve it’s a game that anyone within any reasonable age-range and background can enjoy.

It’s pretty darn close to perfect.

PS3

DARK SOULS

Go hard or go home

Id give them the ps1 with GTA london as I think it would be best to start small but with its bright colours simple but addictive game play thats easy to get used to and not to many buttons to handle.Its has cars guns running round maps something for eveyone. It would get there iner gamer going ready for a PS3 . Happy Christmas all

A Sega Megadrive with Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Ghouls and Ghosts, Road Rash, Streets of Rage 2, Micro Machines, Mortal Kombat 2, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Kid Chameleon, Comix Zone, Ecco the Dolphin, Bonanza Bros

And more…

I would give them the PS1 with the original Rayman since both were my first console and game that I ever played, the game was simple and really fun for all ages and also has a very nice 2D art style to it with the catchy music. If it got me into gaming then I’m pretty sure it would get someone else into it, perfect way for them to join the Playstation Family :D

(Thinking about it I could just give them a PS3 instead and they could just download it from the PS store but it’s not the same thing!)

k1ll1ng5pr33-NL 15 December, 2012 @ 1:05 am   77

System: PS3
Game: Anything co-op. Probably Borderlands 2 :)

ryannumber3gamer 15 December, 2012 @ 1:16 am   78

I was going to say PS2 but then i thought to myself, ”Then again what about PS3”. I would say PS3 because it has free online unlike a certain other game console. It’s games look great. It has loads of great exclusives like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted, inFamous, Resistance LBP, MGS 4. Also it has great HD collections like the Jak & Daxter Trilogy, Sly Triogy,Ratchet & Clank Trilogy,God of War trilogy etc. The games i might get for him would be Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction,R&C Quest for Booty, Ratchet & Clank A Crack In Time, I would get them because it has great gameplay and one of the best stories that’s on the PS3. I would get him inFamous 2 as it is one of my favorite PS3 games since it’s great to run around and use Cole’s powers around the city and the story is great and the game controls are very good. Also Little Big Planet 2 so he can be creative and make his own levels. I would also get the Sly Trilogy so he can play a good mix of platiforming and stealth.

I think the best choice would be a PS Vita, as it provides a multitude of options to interact with games and will, at the same time, seem more accessible than a typical home console to a person who hasn’t played a single game yet. As for the game, it would largely depend on the person the gift was intended for, but I think a safe bet would be LittleBigPlanet Vita, which oozes charm and is sure to fascinate everyone who lays hands on it!

Does a PS3 and a 1 year PS+ voucher count as a game? :p

If not…

I would give a PS3 with a PS Move set and Sports Champions 2. The game is very easy to get into for newcomers but can have challenge once you get good too, and the motion controls help a lot for newcomers. Plus it is great for playing with friends and everything is more fun when playing with friends.

I guess that would be Zelda 3 – A Link to the past, on the SNES. Good graphics without too bombastic effects. 2D is always easier for a beginner than 3D. Thus easy to use controls, with some easy to understand game mechanics. Sweet basic story that everyone can relate too.

Oh and of course it is lots and lots of addicting fun.

In case that I’d win, could I get all the DLC for Fight for Fortune instead of Drake’s Fortune? Because seriously … what would I want with another copy of Uncharted? :)

Lol, recognized now that DLC is already included. Well then how about 2x codes for Fight for Fortune? :P

jimbob12345678 15 December, 2012 @ 1:37 am   83

Id give them Barbie island princess as punishment for not trying out gaming sooner!

Shinoda_2qx 15 December, 2012 @ 3:27 am   84

My dad comes from an older generation, and has never at all been interested in my gaming.

If I was to introduce him to a game it would have to be The Saboteur (with a PlayStation 3). My dad grew up with tales from the War, and I think the game offers a unique and very enjoyable story that would really grasp his interest. Think my dad would really relate to the main character Sean Devlin too, bit of a cheeky Charlie, with a flat cap and a smoke! Aside from the story though, there’s many many hours of game life through the ambient free play missions, and lot of creativity restoring colour back to the streets of Paris. Add a dated, but cool soundtrack, and that’s right up my dad’s street as he hates all kinds of new pop stuff!

A personal downside would be lack of multi-player, but that would probably be more suited for my dad anyway. I know this isn’t the most recent of titles, but a great title nonetheless, and one that would most probably shine a new light on the gaming world for my dad.

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Interesting suggestion – you should try that out and see if he takes to it! I always thought that game was rather under-rated. UC codes for you.

I would give them a Wii with Wii Sports. Quite simply if you’ve never played a video game before, this sort of game is the best to rope them in.
Simple to pick up and play, and enjoyable for literally all members of the family of all ages!

Sharley-san 15 December, 2012 @ 7:46 am   86

The best system for a new gamer? A PS2, because of the huge selection of great games, from casual button mashers to hardcore challenges. And the perfect game would be Tekken 5, simple yet hard to master and provides loads of fun, alone and with friends.

ImbaMarcel 15 December, 2012 @ 7:59 am   87

I don’t want to be an Fanboy but if i want to introduce gaming to an non-gamer i would get them an Nintendo Wii. Why not an Ps3? For the same reason like the Xbox: Those 2 are gamer consoles. If i get them a Wii with a Game like mario Kart they have fun without knowing much about the game. If you buy them a Ps3 and well.. CoD: BO2 – Flaming Kiddies, Unbalancing and games like this are hard to learn.
But if i have to buy them a Sony-Console with a game i think it would be something like Heavy Rain. This Game is perfect to learn the controls of the Ps3.

Sorry for the bad english, here’s a potato *potato.jpg*

I would introduce them to the Wii first, it has the perfect games for new gamers such as Wii Fit, Wii Sports & Resort, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country, which are a great games in the own right and can be enjoyed by almost anyone and also has the virtual console with some of the classic games for them to try. I also started on nintendo years ago before moving on to PS3, and my son still loves nintendo games. I would have suggested the Kinect but I could never get it to work properly, and I have not yet had a chance to try the wonderbook.

think it would have to go in stages (cause to be honest this is how I got my mum to be a gamer :)
first, some super Mario on snes (the one with all the different coloured yoshis)
then some crash on ps1, maybe a bit of spyro and tomb raider two for good measure. then straight into final fantasies til they’re hooked.
then I’d buy them a ps3, cause they’d be straight on psn to try out anything I recommended :)
true story.

i would give them border lands 1 or 2. because if they had never played a video game before they would most likely of heard about first person shooters and giving them cod or battlefield or moh etc would just make them question the stupidity of gamers everywhere so giving them borderlands would give them a fps that is actually really fun and enjoyable and show them that shooters are capable of being fun but companies like activision ruin the shooter name by releasing the same game with a few different visual effects and about enough gameplay to last an hour.

you can never go wrong with this one :)..The Greatest Gift of all :

^^on my list for 2013

Thats tough question and really depends on the interests and age of the recipient. Assuming PS+ isn’t an option and always PS3 for starters as portable gaming is available on mobile phones anyway.
For a younger person it would be Skylanders Giants. Plays great, co-op and huge variety of characters
For almost anyone it’d usually be Batman Arkham City (narrowly beating Uncharted 3 due to its more familiar cast), superb gameplay and probably the best title to demonstrate how good the current gen really is and also the brilliantly executed 3D option. If action/adventure isn’t their thing it would be FIFA 13 (sports fans), Burnout Paradise Ultimate Edition (racing, so much to do and excellent online community), Skyrim (adventurers, Dark Souls is too unforgiving for an introduction), Plants vs Zombies (strategists) Rock Band 3 (music fans, not everyone can sing for Singstar) and finally Black Ops 2 (shooter fans).
It really does depend on the individual

I say Journey. Simple controls but engaging gameplay, with an introduction to the playstation community online. With great graphics, and an emotional story. It really shows what games can be without alienating anyone.

Mattiebo123 15 December, 2012 @ 12:16 pm   94

I think I’d ease a non-gamer into the gaming world with some of my favourite games of all time, and the perfect system for that would be a PS2 (or an old 60GB PS3).

It might seem a bit cheap, but playing classic PS2 games like TimeSplitters, Dark Cloud, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, GTA Vice City & San Andreas before moving into the more modern games seems like a good tactic to me.

Also, if you introiduce them to one of the plethora of modern first person shooters, they might grow accustomed to them and ignore the brilliant, unique titles that gaming has to offer.

I’m already thinking about present for my girlfriend and i want to buy PS Vita and some games for her.
The main reason – i don’t think that she would be play at home, cause she preferd to do something else.
But PS Vita – it’s very good choice for her.
Firstly, she likes to play casual games on her mobile. Especially angry birds, and secondly her mobile a little bit old. (According to Vita with nice LED display)
About games – It should be casual games, cause she likes them very much.
So:
1. Sound shapes. Very good game and music. You can turn it on play for a 5 min and turn off. And it will be very nice
2. Motostorm RC. Very interesting racing games. And according to mobile – it’s easier to control. And also she can compete with me, cause a also have these games. And i think it will make her happy, we she can beat me and take bigger score then me
3. Disgae 3. From one side it’s real hardcore game and japanese stile, but she likes anime. And this game is very addictive. She can play it very long time =)

Im a scrooge when it comes to Christmas so an Atari system and a copy of ET mwhahahaha humbug.

Mattklong 15 December, 2012 @ 2:00 pm   97

I would suggest from current gen consoles the PS3. This is not only due to the library of games but its all round use as a media centre. From being able to play blu ray, stream and copy movies/music from PC/Mac, look at photos, Internet, watch instant tv and film channels (iplayer, lovefilm, etc), free online play and it has a great online shop for downloads of games and films. The PS3 also outputs 3D and HD audio codecs via HDMI. Amazing.

As for a game… I would say Rayman Origins or similar platformer. This is because the visuals and difficulty are top notch. If I knew the person was into something specific then I would tailor a choice accordingly. I would also suggest Move. The library of games is so varied I wouldn’t know where to start but if this person has never owned a console it would have to be a (fairly) simple game that reminded me of why I got into gaming in the first place during the C64/NES days – a platformer!

Mattklong 15 December, 2012 @ 2:02 pm   98

Oh forgot to mention PS+ which is incredible value!

Kandracar 15 December, 2012 @ 2:18 pm   99

The system of choice, obviouly has to be a PS3 as nothing else can surpass the quality in so many different aspects of home entertainment it provides.

And the game to go with it really depends on what your relative/friend is like. Something like little Big Planet would work great as an introduction to the world of gaming but on the otherhand they might be the sort that would prefer a gritty atmospheric experience such as an entry in the Killzone series.

The best standalone choice though like so many others agree with in their posts, would be Uncharted 3. I don’t think a summary of the game is neccessary, start it up and let it speak for itself I say. How could a newcomer not be enthralled?

Merry Christmas everyone!

nonkelvladimir 15 December, 2012 @ 2:31 pm   100

I would go for a PS2 with God Of War.

I really want to introduce this friend/family member to gaming, so I don’t want to bother him or her (yet) with the more complicated stuff of a PS3: creating an account, browsing the XMB etc, no, just good old plug & play.

After simply inserting a disc and grabbing a controller, our friend/family member can discover God Of War, which will offer a lot of fun and satisfaction in many ways. Gameplay is smooth and easy, yet if you discover your skills, it becomes even cooler, like good games should. Graphics are beautiful and landscapes overwhelming, a good intro to the technical achievements you can discover in later games. Storytelling will show you that not all games are childish fun. Later you can delve into more games where storytelling becomes an actual art. Meanwhile, chances are high that you’ll have a lot of fun and excitement with this title. Hack, slash, platform & puzzle your way into gaming!

(Anyways, as soon as our friend/family member gets hooked to gaming, he should buy a PS3 asap :-) But I don’t think the PS3 is the perfect console if you first touch one)

OllieRaiden 15 December, 2012 @ 2:57 pm   101

It’s a shame so many people have said Journey. I’ll have to rethink my response, because Journey is THE most beautiful game I’ve ever played in so many ways.

If not that, then, I would go for a Nintendo 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. No game has struck me like that, it’s truly a masterpiece. Every NPC you meet without exception has their own life to live and story to tell. That game is my favourite game of all time, and nothing else has ever come as close to affecting me emotionally as the in-depth story telling Nintendo weaved there and the heartbreaking feeling of having to reset the world on the third day and undoing all the good you did for everyone in that doomed world. Termina is like home to me and I will never be done trying to save it in three days.
I couldn’t think of a greater gift for someone I truly love than a game that I feel perfected the art of playing a game and telling a story.

Oooooor, Minecraft, because you can create almost anything you want and there are some truly breathtaking builds/ builders out there. The world is yours to make. You have complete freedom. What more could you possibly want?

The console would have to be a PS3, however for games my choice is split! If they were into movies, loved a good storyline and were old enough, It would have to be inFamous. That game has just been amazing for me, I must have replayed it 10+ times, and you can relate to a buddy like zeke! I would love to give someone that addiction/feeling that the game gave me.

However, if this was for a child, getting into gaming, it would be LittleBigPlanet. That is another game that I have spent countless hours on and has just been an amazing way to express your creativity, or just kill some time exploring the seemingly never-ending list of UGC levels!

szczudel 15 December, 2012 @ 5:47 pm   103

Since my story with serious gaming started with PSX – and games that have biggest influence on me were JRPGs – i would pick Playstation2 with Final Fantasy 10. Game has marvelous music- its mechanics is newbee friendly, and it looks good even 10 years after.

Nazar_Ops 15 December, 2012 @ 6:33 pm   104

The perfect “Gift of Gaming” would be, PS Vita. I just love the cover on the box. It gives me a “welcome to gaming” feeling, the box is so cool. PSV is pretty cheap in price and its worth a buy for what it does. Along with a 8gb memory card and a copy of LBP for the vita is a great way to start gaming! Dress up, build your levels and play with your friends in LBP is the best thing for a newcomer of gaming.

tiago-kun 15 December, 2012 @ 6:40 pm   105

This may seem an odd choice. But I would go with a PSP (Or a PSVita, I don’t know if it runs the game) and Locoroco.

Why? It’s a very simple game. You just need the triggers and the O, the first levels require little effort and gradually gets harder without ever being so hard that frustates. It has secrets so it encourages gameplay and the the music is very catchy. It’s like a party on the screen, it can help put some serious problems away for a while, and it has that little charm of being cute and fun.

It also happens to be a gift that ends up cheaper that other more serious options (at least with PSP).

After twice having a modern gadget refuse to post my comments, I’m going to keep things simple for my newcomer and give them an Atari 2600. No profiles to create, no internet connection to configure, just plug in the game and play. With a mere one button on the control pad there is no danger of the controls being forgotten. And since I’m tight, it won’t cost me much either!

As for the game, Millipede certainly converted my mum into a gamer so it’s tried and tested.

Tecnoboy1 15 December, 2012 @ 8:01 pm   107

PS3 with the That game Company collection.

I’d possibly throw Portal 2 in as well, these games just open your mind to the possibilities of computer games as a medium. ;)

wanderly7 15 December, 2012 @ 8:36 pm   108

Ico & Shadow Of The Collossus HD Collection for PS3. They are two of the greatest games ever made with emotional depth, and a powerful storyline that no other game has ever come close to creating, and they are games that a person completely new to a console will never forget, for a long, long time :)

mman1235 15 December, 2012 @ 9:09 pm   109

Ratchet & Clank 2 /3

the 2nd R&C game was the 1st ever game I had and I loved every minute of it :)

probably best if to give the one you want to give a gaming gift is a PS3
with the R&C collection so he could enjoy all 3 1st games :)

I would give him/her Philips Videopac G7000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnavox_Odyssey%C2%B2) and Munchkin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(video_game) ) as for the game. Why you ask? Because with those I started my gaming hobby and I can say I grew up quite decent citizen :)

another_gamer195 15 December, 2012 @ 10:14 pm   111

I must say that if the person in question was someone who would like and continue gaming, or if your asking about someone who may not be interested After a demo. was made more clearer, then this debate may of gone in very different directions, But for arguments sake, and cos it’s easier i will assume we’re talking about starting off a prospective gamer.
I would really like for the person to switch on a PS2, for the first foray into gamings rewards, the disc i would like for them to play is GTA San Andreas, i can imagine the face of said person watching the intro movie, CJ getting his luggage, then a taxi, stopped by police and dumped in hostile territory, then it’s game on, and fittingly your first lesson is ride a bike, which IS hard but not overly so, from that point onward the game, characters and locations go into lightspeed, But as i said ‘fittingly’ you began by riding a bike, which i hear you Never forget how to, so If they’ve gotten past that starting, the rest of the game and other, later PS3 games they will play as a result of, will allways be 2nd nature to them. i really can’t think of a better ‘starting’ console and game for anybody.

Coody-Baroody 15 December, 2012 @ 10:24 pm   112

@ Fred Dutton

Ideally everyone who gets involved in the weekend debate will try and think of a nice rare answer to give themselves – in theory – a better chance at winning and I admittedly include myself in that but today im going to do the opposite.
My choice of game (no doubt alot of my fellow debaters choice too) would be;

Uncharted 2 on PS3

My reason is because of actual events that have occured. You see after first playing Uncharted 2 and being completely blown AWAY by it I just had to show all my gamer friends it. They were XBOX fanboys to different degrees but i can now happily report that I have brought 6 of the 8 back from the darkside and now all happily own a PS3 and are converted. ALL thanks to showing them the Masterpiece that is Uncharted 2. That is simply just how good it is and why i HAD to put that as my answer.

Btw, I surely deserve a bit of commision right? Finders Fee maybe? Yes? No?…….No? ahhhh well worth a shot! XD

another_gamer195 15 December, 2012 @ 11:07 pm   113

@ Coody-Baroody
Uncharted2 is probably The best gaming experience that happened on PS, but if you were to start someone off on that, or even the PS3, would it be fair. i mean the only direction left to go after that is forwards, If your lucky, as theres currently imo, no upwards from that scenerio. still starting there now i guess may be surpassed soon, i hear next gen is closer than we thought and obviously there is many more class games around, but i still can’t help looking at your post and thinking, opening xmas pressies Before xmas. like while on summer hols sooner. i really haven’t looked at many other comments, though have seen Journey mentioned a few times, Not sure about that one myself. again it’s kind of like, well now what, a open world game where you ‘hurt’ pedestrians in a car, Sleeping Dogs, the times i reloaded save after killing civillians, silly but still. Also is it just me or has anyone else played Borderlands2 noticed the ‘hurt’ Bullymongs, its like aww, i feel sorry i did that now, as it’s limping away and that, Then i think, well if it was real-life i couldn’t leave it defenceless or hurt, Anybody noticed that, or is it just me imagining it.

CrownerZ 16 December, 2012 @ 1:29 am   114

If I were to pass this beloved curse (just kidding :P) to a friend of mine or family member (I’m actually doing this with my 8 year old brother) I would give him a Playstation 1 that I still own, after all these years, because it was the very first console I owned and I remember clearly how amazed I was, when I received it for birthday…
Countless nights playing Spyro, Tekken 3 with friends, Medieval, Crash Bandicot..All of these amazing games have made part of my youth, and despite theire age, I think they are the best introduction to gaming thus far.

Imagine having this little gifts under the tree, with the warmth of a fireplace, and an old CRT TV (how its meant to be played)…Its impossible not to be a lover of games after that, and I only mentioned the beginning !

Skykid360 16 December, 2012 @ 4:14 am   115

Well i went the whole hog and actually have found myself in this situation this year.

My sister has 4 Girls (!) all of quite different ages, so choosing is harder than normal as i need to please them all.

I bought them a PS3 for Christmas, but i bought it way back in September (thinking ahead this year), with PS Move and Sorcery Bundle and more importantly a Years Subscription to PS+. So they Got LBP2, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One and all the other great PS+ Titles since Sept, i also bought Modnation Racers in the PS Store Sale as well as Sly Trilogy and Jak and Daxter Trilogy.

A uDraw Tablet (for £6!!) with Pictionary for the younger ones, and Disney Universe, and finally Just Dance 4 oh and 3 Extra DS3′s.

Why? Because I believe the PS3 has something for everyone, of all ages. The games I really wanted to get them into Couch Multi-player so they can play together and share (wishful thinking)…so with LBP, R&C A4O, Modnation and Disney Universe they are all 4 player at once so that should be great.

But then for the Elder kids there are games like Red Dead Redemption which are more engaging and have more depth than the Casual Platforming Adventure types…

Skykid360 16 December, 2012 @ 4:15 am   116

…Continued….

I could have taken the safe route and gone with the Wii, they love playing Mario at mine, even i only play on the Wii for Mario and Zelda…but after that i don’t see much personally…there is so much more variety on offer with the PS3….i really think they will love it. They better!! Ha ha.

I know i would enjoy any PS related gifts i am given Uncharted Related or otherwise, ha ha :D

Merry Christmas Fred, have a good one!

I’d give them a PS3 with Journey to show them that gaming is not all blood and gore, that gaming can be emotional, and an experience. The game is short, but just wonderful and shows what gaming should be. You can explore all you want, play with a stranger (with a chirp being the only way of communication), you develop an attachment to them, you choose to either stay with them till the end or leave them wandering all alone. The character is quiet, so the character is basically the player, because in other games the protagonists do whatever they want, while here, the player is in total control of the character. And when you get all the symbols, you get the White Robe, which means that you’ve completed your ‘Journey’ and should now help other people through theirs’. The game is beautiful, the soundtrack is amazing, the idea is perfectly executed and is perfect for all ages.

dogwalker4000 16 December, 2012 @ 7:24 am   118

When my lil nephew is old enough I’ll consider buying him a PS2. Tis nice and cheap for an amazing piece of equipment and has an unbelievable amount games in its back catalog.

As for the game I’d give, would probably be the original Ratchet & Clank. Fantastic PlayStation franchise and a great introduction to the world of gaming for anyone of any age.

Mattbrad 16 December, 2012 @ 8:52 am   119

An N64 with a copy of super Mario 64.

If you can’t fall in love with that game then just quit

Fruit_Loop_1969 16 December, 2012 @ 9:08 am   120

I’ve already bought a PS3 for each of the kids :-)

Alisha I got a PS3 n rockband to go with her drums
Darcy I got a PS3 to go with her eye pet n Hannah Montana game as my PS3 disk drive is broken.
Owen I got a PS3 n going to get FIFA 13 or/and WWE13.

I love ps3 n hope they do too!!! PS+ is a life saver for me!!! Keep it up Sony!!!

Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you who reads this n those who don’t hope you have one too but you won’t know my wishes lol yep me a fruitloop alright lol!!!

Tomosh135 16 December, 2012 @ 5:27 pm   121

Is there any question? Rayman Origins! All because of the bada-badabadada-tanananana-bada-tanana-badaba.

If you can get basicly anyone humming that tune 15 minutes after you shut off the game then we’re talking succes!

bobopudge 16 December, 2012 @ 6:48 pm   122

Start the Party on the Move cuz it’s accessible, quick paced, fun and great for the whole family. It seems to invoke a competitive spirit like no other game despite having a cartoony appearance, great game to introduce one to this hobby

My choice would certainly be PS3 with game Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Metal Gear Solid 4 Why? Because it is a collection of games that can make the people who do not play games to show that games are often just as great as the movies that they like. MGS series is also evidence that games nowadays are more than just games. They are great epic films with a sense of being pulled into the story!

Another option would be to Jorney or Limbo. The game does not have to be with a complicated concept, but must have a deeper meaning and as I like to call … soul!

pokersean 16 December, 2012 @ 7:27 pm   124

I hate to say this but I feel the answer has to be a ps3 and sports game. Sports games are really simply and easy to play. Whatever sport they like would do. Or play station move and sports champions.

I’m going to change my answer to that because I actually like the game. Things like Frisbee golf would get them addicted and all of the games are easy enough (Except for frisbee golf). Wait what about tales from space mutant blobs attack and a vita?

I just finished that game how could I forget it? It’s nice and short and easy and fun. Or maybe something like little big planet. That would give them an easy enough game that’s infinitely long.Or maybe an easy enough shooter like some Cod game.

My answer is that there are far too many choices for me to choose.

AshishSahoo 16 December, 2012 @ 7:45 pm   125

I would gift anyone who was never interested in gaming before or consoles a ps3 with journey. Its beautiful, personal and importantly, brief. Its the kind of game which makes me understand why I game. The emotions journey carries so beautifully is impossible to depict in many other medium in such a nuanced and subtle, yet heartwarming way. Despite lack of any voices and other things, journey manages to take the player to the entire spectrum of emotions. The sadness of losing a fellow traveler, even though we just met him is heartbreaking, and also replaced by a even greater happiness when we, by chance, meet the fellow traveler again.
It represents the epitome of what games can achieve, hence what else can be a better option to introduce someone to the “joy of gaming” ?

PS3 and Uncharted Trilogy. Coz it’s for all family. And our family this is our life! Than – PS3 & Uncharted: 4life!!!

A PS3 with Journey would definitely be my choice. My gut reaction was The Walking Dead since it’s not super active and mostly relies on simple button presses. It was, in fact, a pretty big part of the last time I visited my parents house and I played through the first two episodes with them. I was originally going to let my dad play, but then I realized why this wouldn’t work. It’s easy for us to call the game simple, and it is. For us. Handing someone who has never played before a controller and telling them to press buttons quickly won’t work because they aren’t used to those controls. My dad likes to play GTA4 but whenever I tell him what to press he has to look down at the controller. Requiring someone new to gaming to instantly know buttons won’t work
The PS3 is a wonderful device that can serve purposes beyond just an introduction to video games, and Journey is not only a simple game in which you can’t really lose and really only uses two buttons, it is also gorgeous, and most of the enjoyment comes from simply walking around the breathtaking environments. I think Journey is the perfect game to give to a new gamer to show how beautiful and moving a video game can be, contrary to the violence they might expect.

liamlangan 16 December, 2012 @ 8:49 pm   128

I’d get them a PSVita cause it’s one of those consoles that you can just pick up and play whenever you like, it’s nice, small and compact so if they get attatched to it they can take it out with them.

As for the Games I would get them, I’d buy them Uncharted Golden Abyss because it’s great fun and technically outstanding, I’d also buy them Pure Chess for a simpler game as this is easy to just pick up and play and finally I’d get them a pinball game

Chipworm 16 December, 2012 @ 9:11 pm   129

I would go for a PSone with a copy of the quite superb ‘Bishi Bashi Special’.

The mini games are easy to play and are incredibly entertaining, and theres a ton of them so should offer something for anyone. Lets be honest here, if super pie throw or Afro dance cannot convert a ‘non gamer’ then nothing can.

Winnnnaaaaa, Player ONE.

Fred Dutton 17 December, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

You’d either convert them immediately with that one, or put them off for life. Great suggestion! Code winner here.

That’s all the winners this week. Congrats to all those who grabbed codes. Weekend Debate will return in 2013 – thank you all for contributing every week – I’ve enjoyed harvesting your thoughts!

Note: winners’ codes will be sent as a PM to your account on the official forums. This will likely be on Wednesday afternoon.

PSP-3000 is a perfect choice for me, turn it on and play. I doubt anyone would resist LocoRoco and Patapon, I still have my beloved PSP Slim 2000 working, since the day it came out.

Tangerineroach 16 December, 2012 @ 11:46 pm   131

PS3 and Little Big Planet 2.

This game is an excellent platformer on itself, but it also provides an excellent opportunity for social interaction, creativity and even trying out different genres through downloadable content.

As for the system, it has so many other funtions that if it turns out that gaming isn’t really his/hers cup of tea, it’s still a great gift.

SumbodySumOne 17 December, 2012 @ 12:43 am   132

Im a little split on this decision…on one hand I would like them to start where I started and give them a NES with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, classic gaming and if thats where it started for me then it could be a good place for them to start…but on the other hand they might get a bit bored of such an old game and want to see all the new fancy HD graphics and stuff of newer consoles so then I would choose a PS3 with Little Big Planet 2, a nice fun place to start with lots of creativity which could lead them to more games

PS3 and Journey
Perfect title for veteran gamers and for people who never played games before. This means everyone…

No difficult controls, easy gameplay and the game has such a power to it. You can’t communicate through standard chat/speak, you don’t know who you’re playing with, but the bond between you and your partner is so strong.

I’ve been playing games for over 20 years and it doens’t happen often for a game to take me on such an emotional roller coaster.
If I could share one experience with friends/family, this would definitely be it.

I already bought and give psvita wifi/16gb/starter pack/ headset / travel battery pack for christmas in october cos i bought him 1 back than and i didnt saw any reason to not give him that piece of brilliant HW straight away .
He get planty of SW of course aswell
;) Uncharted ,mgs 1-3, Michael Jackson , Aman , lpb , rayman …. He is living abroad for few years now and unfortunatly we arent seeing each other too much :( And after i get my birthday/nameday/christmas present from him in february and of course it was 3g vita cos from 1997 im proud member of best gaming family named playstation . Best move in my gaming history btw.
I knew his opinion and also his problem with free time cos he got too much work ( 3d movie atrtist ). But after 1/2 year with stunning vita i made decision he need to try it cos ps3 is out of debate cos he playing on pc ( very often ).
Like i suppose straight after thx m8 was question which i was expecting for 100% . Can u sell it ? For how much ? etc ? Iwasnt happy even i knew this will be first reaction. At least i knew him well ;).

2.part ;)
I told him i was sure this will folow m8 and of course there isn’t a problem with selling that away but i wish u to have ur first only urs playstation . I want u to join my second family which change mine way of gaming on that best possible lvl and is also awsome like our family ;). ( 1987 some atari video game console i was 4 years old , than pc til 1997 – Playstation ) . I knew u want use it so often cos ur too busy but i just want to u to give it a try and if u still want to sell it than ok bro . I called him after week if his companion is funny or he’s still sleeping or … ????
He told me that A-man is best which was suprise for me cos i didnt finished even demo but i bought it cos im buying planty of games which im not playing :D:D:D at a moment around 50-100 games on ps3 which i have i wasnt evenplayed once :( I knew it shame but unfortunatly i doesnt have so much time like when i was teenager :( :( :( Also he likes rayman. Im not getting why he dont like LPB when his job is 3d cgi artist which he should love that crazy style.

3.part
Hopefully he will like it cos he didnt like lpb,lpb2 but lpbvita is best so far and if i get right info nomore lpb cos there is no doubt about how any1 can improve that game . I was waiting how thay can improve 1st but after i played 2nd i knew thats final cos noway that this can get better . Btw respect guys cos that game is awsome in everyway .
Next weekend his coming home for christmas and im sure he change his mind . If some1 told me back when i bought ps1 back in 1997 that this will be my gaming future in 15 years i would called him for psychiatric help . Just u need to polish FW , applications , cross platform com/support … And it will be limitless ;)

I’d give them a PS3 and Katamari Forever and weird them out instantly. But first I’d pop in my PS demo 1 disc to show them how I started.

4th and last one ;)
BTW my gaming introduction present will be if i want to pick up best gaming experience so far than for sure it will contain : Playstation HW + MGS 1-4 , FF 7 , GT5 ,GTA5 ( that will be next year present ;) ) , LPB and killzone 3 +move+sharpshooter . Those are best games which i played since im 4 years old ;) And if i can pick up just one than go for best1 which is without any question MGS1-4 which must be played together .
At the end i would like to thx SCEJ for playstation cos i cant imagine my life without it nomore ;) I wish u all the best in 2013 and im looking forward for mgs and ps4 . Also all the best for scea and scee which is our bridge from japan cos otherwise i wont be able understand FF and MGS my favourite .
Can u found out if polyphony digital will make remake of OMEGA BOOST cos i cant buy it and i loved it . In OPSM ( PS2 edition ) was interview with creator of GT ( cant remember name kaz….. :( ) and there was sentence that gt3 getting omega boost in new ps2 graphic engine And its quite time from than :( . Can u call him i lost his No. :( or at least is any chance for digital ps1 version on EU stores PLS PLS PLS ;)
HOHOHO

twoface9 17 December, 2012 @ 3:20 am   139

I was pondering what answer i would to this debate, i originally thought why not an NES or another classic console but luckily i came to my senses and thought why would anyone in 2012 want an NES as their first console?

I then began to appraise as to which console would be most suitable for most people, i ended up choosing the PS3. I chose the PS3 because of its multimedia capabilities, i wouldn’t gift someone something, i wouldn’t give myself and because I’m an avid blue-ray watcher, i thought this would be perfect.

The large gaming library on the PS3 was my next problem, even though the person who would receive this could easily buy another game, the choice i made had to be impeccable. I started looking at the major franchises, such as Uncharted, Call of Duty, God of War and more. I then looked into detail of which games would be family friendly while still being enjoyable. That is why i came to my final conclusion, i chose Little Big Planet 2. The fact that this never-ending in terms of content and player’s level creations was enough to sway me.

I would have no regrets giving this game to anyone of any age, on this wonderful holiday season

twoface9 17 December, 2012 @ 3:29 am   140

give* [first sentence]

I would probably pick up an xbox360 and a copy of the Orange Box because the sheer amount of gaming in that plastic box is astounding.

Not only would they be able to be sucked into a world of depression opposed by the resistance of the few in Half Life 2 and experience the sheer brilliance of VALVe and their storytelling (it really is THE BEST FPS game out there…still), but they could also ‘twist their melon’ for a while with the marvelously entertaining Portal and then introduce themselves to the online world of competitive team multiplayer with Team Fortress 2.

A Gaming package in one box, that to this day stands as some of the best value gaming anyone could ever pick up.

GANTZn00b 17 December, 2012 @ 2:30 pm   142

im giving a ps3 super slim as a christmas gift + journey + flower to my parents , they never played video games , they just wanted a blu ray player but i got them a ps3 just for fun

i was not sure if i should support sony with buying another ps3 console after the singstar icon disaster but i have faith and hope we will get the option to delete that icon in the near future

RossyWilson 17 December, 2012 @ 3:13 pm   143

Thanks for the code fred. Excited to try this out when i get my vita next week. Have a good christmas and new year as well fred :)

Good evening Fred,
Just spotted I’ve won a code….. I’ll keep an eye out for PM, and look forward to playing.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas :)

Shinoda_2qx 19 December, 2012 @ 5:33 pm   145

Hey Fred, thanks very much for the code! Was close to buying FFF last week but ended up with BF3 premium and the Spyro trilogy instead :D

I also very much agree that it is an under-rated game, perhaps you could pull some strings and get it added to the instant game collection for more people to experience it ;)

Merry Christmas to you and all!