Posted 9:00am

Weekend Debate: New Year’s resolutions (update)

UPDATE: Good morning all. From now on, in the interest of greater visibility, I’ll be announcing the winners of the Weekend Debate via an updated Blog post first thing every Tuesday.

This week’s lucky seven are: HighflyerVII, TheNudgeMan, MafiaClub, Sp4rkyM4rk1337, Mark917, Sneakygriff and OttoT. Congratulations, you’ve all snagged a Borderlands 2 goodie bag. We’ll get in touch via a PM to your account on the official forum to arrange delivery. Everyone else, better luck next time!

ORIGINAL POST: Greetings all. After a few weeks of slumber, Weekend Debate has emerged from its brief annual hibernation. And it’s hungry. Hungry for opinions. Your opinions, to be precise.

So, without further ado, let’s feed it.

Traditionally, January is the month where we all peer inwards, examine where we’re falling short as human beings and see what we’d like to change up over the coming 12 months. So, your topic for discussion this weekend:

What would you like to change about your gaming habits in 2013?

Play more? Play less? Check out more indies? See more games through to completion? Take more pride in your hobby? Try out a new genre? Let me know.

Me? Well, I’ll keep it simple. I played far, far too few titles in 2012. Moving across the world and starting a busy new job were partly to blame, but equally so was Dark Souls. Duly, I’ve locked my copy in a crate, tossed away the key and buried it in the back yard. Henceforth, I hereby pledge to widen my horizons and consume everything the industry throws my way this year.

Over to you!

As ever, I’ve got a nice prize for the commenters that most entertain – or enlighten – our judges: seven Borderlands 2 goodie bags to celebrate this week’s Creature Slaughterdome DLC release, including a copy of the game, T-shirts, keyrings and various other bits of swag. Good luck!

Weekend Debate image

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

163 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

i want to play more co-op games, played too much games were you fight, instead i’m going to play with people, games like mass effect 3 and Borderlands 2 are perfect for that so i might give them a try *hint hint*

In 2012, due to the constant stream of great titles, I bought many games on a wiff, but found myself no time to finish them. Which was kind off a luxury problem. So many great games, not knowing which one to finish first, and never getting around to finishing ANY of them, especially since I started full time work and found myself in a position with less gaming time. (the fact I worked full time also contributed offcourse to the ability to buy more games)

So for 2013 I took the resulotion to open up more of my free time to gaming, while more carefully deciding which games to buy. I made a list with the titles I don’t want to miss out on (Ni No Kuni, Last of Ud, GTA V, Tearaway, Rain, Puppeteer, Persona 4 Golden to name a few) and went ahead and preorderd those. Other titles went on to a to-buy-later-on list. Games I’ll only purchase when I’ve got no other game on my hand and when the price went down.

It would be optimistic to say I’ll be able to finish every game I buy now, but I’m sure I can avoid the GAME TOWER OF DOOM I’ve build in 2012. Lots of games I played not half as much as they deserved.

i need to try and work through my plus back log, its like a virus that keeps expanding. No matter how quick i finish a game its gotten bigger by 2 or 3 games and now its even infected my vita. A good dose of weekend play helps a bit but it definately needs major weekday antibiotic play.

well i would love to see more vita titles announced very soon because vita has brought me back to handheld gaming, my favorite genres are action/adventure, platformers, racing, shooters, online multiplayer games, i would love to you guys announce a online only multiplayer game ala Warhawk.

I’m planning to attend E3 since i think thats where you guys are gonna announce the ps4 ,i just hope sony let the fans into their press conference, i was there in 2010 when Hermen Hulst showed Killzone 3 in 3d for the first time and i played Motorstorm Apocalypse in 3d for the first time too( man it was awesome) hopefully there will be ps4 demos at the show floor this E3.

i would love to see MediEvil, inFAMOUS, Heavenly Sword, God of War and Syphon Filter get announced on the vita. basically more vita games.

oh and im playing Sorcery and i must say what a fantastic psmove exclusive game, i wish there were more exclusive move games like it, i hope Until Dawn is as good or even better than Sorcery.

Well in 2013 i want to start enjoying the games i have more and to play more of my ps plus games and try and find the one game that i cant take myself away from last year it was kingdoms of amalur loved how fresh it was and balanced it was and addictive it could be and just start realising to myself that if im not enjoying it stop because after years and years of gaming i want to enjoy every game i play and this year will be that year like oblivion when that game came out i owned it on pc then 360 then converted to playstation and bought it for that and never looked back so this year i want a game like that were i can play for 400 hours and still i could play it today and love it same.

moriarty1975 11 January, 2013 @ 5:18 pm   6

Upgrade my PS3′s HDD and start playing all those PS+ titles that are waiting for me in my downloads list!

X_ThePerfect 11 January, 2013 @ 5:19 pm   7

I’d love to start actually finishing my games (or developing the willpower to not buy so many!).
I have a reasonable sized backlog of PS3 and Vita games and I own far more games on Steam than I care to admit, and have finished probably 20 of them at most.
I have to travel a reasonable amount with my job though, so hopefully I’ll be working through that Vita backlog just fine, the Steam backlog is a lost cause, however.

LevelUpJordan 11 January, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   8

1.Platinum an RPG (Maybe Ni No Kuni)
2.Help someone struggling with a game to beat it with Co-op (Borderlands 2 wink wink)

I need to start working on my back catalogue! I have so many games that I’ve bought or downloaded through Plus that I just haven’t touched yet.
I purchased Hitman when it first came out and it’s still in the cellophane!

Not only do I need to play them, though. I need to actually start hunting for more trophies! I have so many games on my list that I’ve completed but haven’t platinum’d. In fact, I only have on platinum since I bought my PS3 in May! This needs to change in the New Year!

ukcrazyguy 11 January, 2013 @ 5:21 pm   10

To finish games iv started,got a lot of games over past few months, I tend to try them and put them on shelf planning to play them, but then never get round to it.its a really bad habit of mine and this year I’m going to try and concentrate on one at a time

rahulricky 11 January, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   11

I’d like to finish more games and tackle my backlog, as a new PS owner there’s a lot of slightly older Playstation games that I need to go back and try.

JaxDasher 11 January, 2013 @ 5:24 pm   12

Biggest and hardest for me is to stick to one game at a time. I blame you guys mostly because of the great PS+ games and deals. I feel guilty sometime that it’s such a steal. I always jump into other games and I miss out on the plot big time. Starting early this year I got mass effect trilogy and working it one at a time….maybe a sneaky break with knytts psn game. I am so far beating the urge to download tge other games I bought. But certain borderlands 2 will bumped up the list after mass effect. ;)

R3dC3llTran3 11 January, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   13

Greetings Fred.
What habits i would change in 2013? Well back in 2012 i was into battlefield 3 because i have a clan, but then i got ps move and it was something new so i tried it out, but still 2012 was my year of fps games.
In 2013 i think i will stick with the fps style but i would like to try different things i dont wanna only focused in one genrer, so i wanna play if possible all genres, will start with the new DmC and will want to pick up Sly its been a long time i dont play a game like it. Will try something new like The Last Of Us and Beyond and hope some more new stuff will come.
This year i will try to get some more trophies, will also play more Ps Vita and try all incoming apps for it offcourse. Last year i was like Nathan Drake looking and keep looking.. This year iam like Kratos, i know what iam goin to do haha.
I think this year will be my best gaming year.
Now i shall chill out listing to music on my Ps3 and Playing Gravity Rush on the vita, farewell mates :D

Mattiebo123 11 January, 2013 @ 5:32 pm   14

Knowing a lot about a game before you play it can take some of the magic away when you eventually do play it. As a result, tover the past few months I avoided trailers and massive details for games like Far Cry 3, Dishonored and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. As a result, when I played them I loved them even more.

This year I’ll try not to spoil games for myself by avoiding things that might ruin the first-time experience. I always like to know a bit about the game before I buy it, but it’s worth trying to keep it in moderation.

I’m currently avoiding information on Retro City Rampage, which I’m looking forward to picking up on Vita next week.

I must go and play the massive amount of games given through Plus on PS3/Vita as the games stack up and completely eat my hard drive space, I ought to go and buy a 500 gig or 1TB drive in order to fit every free game.

I would like to see more original japanease rythm games like parrapa , gitaroo man , mad maestro ….
Im so sad that this kind of games is almost extinct :( Also i would love to get new story with snake cos his alfa male on playstation so far ( i have playstation from begining ).
Im very happy with line up for this year and hopefully it will be better than 2011 which was briliant . Also im looking forward for new great titles for vita especialy for gta vice city night ;) Btw any news ;)
Btw i wish u and to every sony employers very best for next year .

THE_FORCE 11 January, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   17

Sorry to go against the grain, but there’s (CENSORED) all about my gaming habits I’d like to change. I’m thoroughly content with the way they are currently.

I know what I like, and what I don’t. Boring eh?! :)

Playing more games would be my new years resolution sins i have not had chance to play many games of this year and i have plenty plus games waiting to be played so yeah that what i will do.

well i NEED to start finishing games before i get new ones! There were just so many great games out last year that i couldn’t wait for to finish the ones from the previous year or even the year before that! Damnit! When will i ever finish assassins creed brotherhood! D:

Two main things would be, remembering to charge my Vita before going out and finding it’s got about five precious minutes left.

To start brushing up on my programming skills and giving PlayStation Mobile another go. Haven’t had time since the beta.

To finally play Final Fantasy Versus XIII and the Last Guardian.

sapateiras 11 January, 2013 @ 5:49 pm   22

Since i survived the 2012 apocalypse i must change my habits!
Lets start with playing more after work, last year was kinda busy but this year i think i will have plenty more time to try some new games :D

This year i will start by getting a Ps Vita then Ps plus and its goin to be already different from 2012. Offcourse one of my habits its checking the Ps Blog everyday and that will continue for sure, will always keep trying haha:) . This year i would like to try games that are not only sports games, so will get GoW, Sly Raccoon, and any different upcoming games coming out, and if i get the Vita i can continue my gaming habits outside my house that would be great, also would love to try family and party games so i can have fun after a rough day after work with my wife and children.

Another genre i like its RPG and would be awesome to try an FPS RPG game, this year will also play more FPS games and i heard about Dark Souls saw some stuff about it and i want really to try it out and this post made me remember about it.
My habits were more of sports games but this year i will leave sports to the side and start the real gaming experience!

undertakur 11 January, 2013 @ 5:50 pm   23

I finished off 2012 with a lot of new games some of which I haven’t even opened yet, right now I don’t have a job so I have to come up with new ways to get a game I want for as little as possible. eBay is good for that. I have a PS3 & a PS Vita I love Playstation but the games for Vita aren’t all that great, they’re lacking in development. Nothing I’ve played so far has gotten me to the point where I don’t want to put it down. In 2013 I’d like to be able to to spend more time completing games and figure out new ways to get new ones. Looking forward to the new titles. I’ve got Playstation Plus and found the God of War multiplayer very entertaining, looking forward to when the whole network is able to play it!

dark_angel69 11 January, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   24

I wouldn’t change a thing cos my gaming takes up a lot of time. lol. Well maybe make less gaming time so can spend more time in the gym and do more drinking on the weekends. Maybe even arrange more gaming parties, get drunk and play with friends. I wonder how hard Rocksmith would be while falling all over the place. lol. Would be an interesting experiment

Like everyone 2012 was games galor from ps + so need to finish n start them. Also I have mass effect trilogy so start them plus black ops 2 online. Plus what ever sony will give us on plus this year if like last year my new years resolution will be over by end of month. Lol Thanks fred n chris for a great year and hear is another great year for ps3.

Lunastra78 11 January, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   26

I’ve spent far too many hours in multiplayer modes, so I’ll just be…

(ಠ_ಠ)ノ-■-■

…playing with myself all year.

mine is to play more RPG’s and actually finish them

Too often have i started an RPG and just never finished it due to getting side tracked with an FPS or something else. for instance i bought ME3 on release day and never even opened it untill 4 months after. same with tales of graces F i imported that and only opened it after it was released here lol

ImperatorA3 11 January, 2013 @ 6:00 pm   28

Reducing my backlog, it’s about time that I finish Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4. Planning to buy a PSVita somewhere in 2013. That will be hopefully the major changes.

eyez-iz-chon 11 January, 2013 @ 6:00 pm   29

this year HOPEFULLY i will get rid of some of these gaming habits:
1- playing games when i need to complete deadlines for work: i’ve lost count of the amount of times i’ve promised myself not to play on my PS3 and do work, but instead go ‘oh i’ll just play for an hour and then i’ll work’… THREE HOURS LATER… ‘umm yeah i should stop now’.. ANOTHER 2 HOURS LATER… ‘ok i’ll stop now… but im hungry’

2- buying games when i still have a ton of games to complete: i’ve completed 3 out of 30 games from playstation plus, then i went and bought Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored and Hitman Absolution… what is wrong with me?

3- find someone to complete Dead Island with me: im stuck in the jungle, this game is too hard to complete on your own!!

4- i need to get some platinum trophies!! the only one i’ve got is The Walking Dead, which “SPOILERS AHEAD” you get all trophies just for playing the episodes. i think im on 97% for Skyrim? just need to find someone and marry them!

My New Years resolution is to stop using google to find hidden trophies I feel like a dirty little cheat!!!!

Well Ideally I want to save some money lately and notice allot of games I have missed for the ps3 over the years so might start picking them up and adding them to my collection (I have 73 ps3 games on my shelf lol)

I also think I need to buy more Vita games, sadly Sony they are way to expensive at the moment when were talking £20+ for a portable game.

But other than that I would love to play more, Gaming is part of my main life and don’t regret it, But due to me now starting a work trial im going to have allot less time on my hands :(

Carl_Junius1892 11 January, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   32

Actually play the games in my backlog rather than continually adding to it (the backlog) without actually ever playing the majority of them for more than five minutes.

I’m pretty sure I, like most people on PS+ should really try at least to get through the games PlayStation keeps giving us. I seriously suck at this, I start games and then get new ones O_O I was half way through Vanquished then I got Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and was going through it then you guys gave me Mortal Kombat ;__; I don’t have the organisational skills to balance all the half played games I have. Please don’t pick me to win.. There is no way I could get through an RPG like Borderlands 2 especially since I’m only like a third through the first and Ni no Kuni is coming out soon!!!

For me it’s all about less trophy hunting more enjoying the pure gaming experience.

For years I have been ruled by trophy lists and would shun games that had no trophys or play a game that was bad just for trophys (Hanna Montana the shame) so for me 2013 will prob give me less time to game but when I do I’m going to enjoy it and like I say not be ruled by those trophy pops ;)

Fyi the 2 future PlayStation fans arrived yesterday :)

THE_FORCE 11 January, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   35

@mdogg91 – take your Vita in to work with you! 8-)

Having said that though, my new shiny PSVita makes it alot easier to do since I can play on my breaks or my friends or anywhere really… I can’t believe how addicted I have become to it :O

SuGaR_rAy_RiDeR 11 January, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   37

I would have to say for me ‘Trophy Hunting’. The first couple of years I had my ps3 it was all about the gaming, I think I had like only 6 platinum trophies, but last year it was bumped up to 23 or so. This actually affected what games I played first, but then I played the Walking Dead for the first time last week, and that changed everything for me. If anyone doesn’t know, all you have to do is complete the game for the platinum trophy, however as I was getting more engrossed with the story, the trophies didn’t matter, they were only there as a guide for how long I had left until the episode ended. Due to how good the game was, when the Platinum popped, I was actually a bit disappointed to get it as I didn’t want the story to end. This actually re-taught me to enjoy the game for what it is and not just for trophies, and in future that’s what I’m going to do for my gaming new years resolution :-).

Helfire13 11 January, 2013 @ 6:30 pm   38

My New Years resolution? To stop counter-trolling the boys. Seriously though, if you want a sandwich get your mother to make it. This woman’s got a busy year of gaming to get through.

runicdagaz 11 January, 2013 @ 6:31 pm   39

Seeing how I’m in a financial pinch, my gaming habits will have to chance drastically. The overall plan is to decrease my money spent on games. I’ll probably spend less time gaming as well, but I plan to up the quality of the games I AM playing. ;)

Other than that I’ll be reading. Still have to work my way through the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, and ‘Malazan Book of the Fallen’ series. Nothing like bridging the gap between awesome games than reading awesome books. :)

DoninYair 11 January, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   40

I have two goals. To end 2013 with a smaller backlog then i started with and to actaully finish every game I start before moving on to the next one…

Colamilkshake 11 January, 2013 @ 6:35 pm   41

My resolution is to spread the joy of gaming on ps3 to even more of my friends, and get them to play on the amazing free PSN. It has provided me numerous hours of fun the last 5 years.

grimbarian 11 January, 2013 @ 6:40 pm   42

Actually have a few gaming related ‘resolutions’ this year…

I have a mass of unfinished games and even though I’ve had a PS3 for a very long time – I’m at a pitiful level 9 on the trophy front… That must change this year.

Also – I’ve resolved to give my Ouya console coming in March a thorough chance. Try everything that becomes available and make my Google Apps compatible with it.

and lastly…

I’ve been messing about making hobby games and demo’s for years – but this year will finally see the release of a commercial product. Development is already underway and I’ve promised myself it will be out this year…

My family have resolved to not see me for the year… unbeknownst to them anyway. :-)

I will create an healhty gaming schedule for me.

These past couple of years I’ve been playing long hours from time to time. I mean, I’d spent weeks without touching the console and then just play it one day from dawn to dusk with very small pauses for meals.
Not only is that very unhealthy it also has a side-effect of not always connecting me with the game since I forget parts of the story and it’s harder to memorize and develop the moves and skills for each game. And some times the “hype” also dies since it’s been so long since I played those games and end up leaving them halfway through.

This year I’m going to open up a few hours every week to play video-games. Maybe some weeks I’ll be able to play just an hour and maybe in other weeks I’ll be able to play two hours everyday but in the end I’ll be much happier since I’ve played more and finished more games and wont be risking my health.

Stonesthrow 11 January, 2013 @ 6:41 pm   44

Interesting question. As the technical quality keeps improving I plan to keep being relatively strict in that matter, as far as expectations go, and try to only get the better games on release at full price. It has been an expensive gaming year for me, not to mention all the dlc and psn exclusive games, and the backlog keeps rising. So the ones that aren’t priority will get bumped down for purchase at pricecut, especially considering how quickly they get bumped down in price lately. Might even try out online shopping for a change, as the standard price for a new game is 65 Euros here and with the amount of games I get, it adds up..
Playing less in general wouldn’t be a bad thing either, I’ve been a complete hermit ever since I’ve gotten my 52 inch Bravia.. On the other hand, I couldn’t be more excited about the last batch of PS3 exclusives and get to see and experience the next gen.

ducky1549 11 January, 2013 @ 6:41 pm   45

My resolution is to spend more time playing less time sleeping. :) I got 170+ games on my 1TB HDD and i’ve only finished like a handful of them, so i gonna go through them 1 by 1 and not moving to the next till i’ve finished the 1 before it on the list. Also if possible can someone mention to the people who do the firmwares, can they add an Alphabetical order to the game sorting list, cause my game list seems messed up with games starting with p then f then d then s. I find things much easier when they are in alphabetical order.

Helfire13 11 January, 2013 @ 6:42 pm   46

@campo7 so you’ll be using YouTube instead of Google then? ….. Damn there goes my resolution.

Maxthebird 11 January, 2013 @ 6:44 pm   47

My new year’s gaming resolution is to FINALLY get my PlayStation 2, which has been broken for over half a decade, fixed.
A whole replacement unit would be wasteful.

Stonesthrow 11 January, 2013 @ 6:46 pm   48

getting to see*

Based on my previous experiences with Grand Theft Auto titles the one habit I’d like to change for 2013 would be NOT to dedicate every last second of my gaming time playing GTA V once it’s out…

chrisboers 11 January, 2013 @ 6:49 pm   50

I’ve planned a special challenge for myself this year: I’m going to do a 12 months of gaming!
Each month, I’m going to choose one and only one game, and I’m going to play that game for the entire month. After the month, I hope to have finished the game, and maybe even gotten a platinum for it. After that, I’m going to leave that game alone, and move onto the next one.
The game can either be an RPG, that will require numerous hours, just to get ahead in the Single Player, or, it can be a FPS like Black Ops II, which I can finish the SP in a few days, after which I have to concentrate on the MP.
By the end of the year, I will have played twelve games to the fullest, instead of the usual, where I play dozens and dozens of games, but all of them for a very short time. I had a left-over from last year with Mass Effect 3, but I jsut finished that one, so now I have to choose my game for January.

Any suggestions?

On a side-note, wasn’t there going to be a change in rules for the Weekend Debate?

HitmanSB07 11 January, 2013 @ 6:54 pm   51

I’d like to actually challenge myself with some games this year for a change.

I’ve played through Demon’s and Dark Souls only once each, too afraid to do a new game plus because of the even harder difficulty. I plan on changing that. Especially now that Dark Souls 2 has been announced I plan on playing through them both again with my previous character. I might even start a new playthrough.

Difficult games have always turned me off more than a single playthrough, but not this year.

darthsteve333 11 January, 2013 @ 6:55 pm   52

I’d like to add variety to my gaming regime over the coming year. I often go online with the intention of playing different games, but usually get roped into playing the same few games online with mates.

I’d like to catch up with more of the games I’ve hardly played and play them as close to completion as I can manage. Probably easier said than done though!

I am going to pick up infamous 2. I love the first one and i really want the second one. But every time i want to buy the game another one comes around that i want even more. Last christmas i was going to get it but then skyrim came, and i got that instead. Then in april i wanted to buy it. But i discovered that the vita already had been released(i must have been living under a rock, i dont know how i missed it)so i got a vita instead. Then i tried again but i found star wars the force unleashed for sale in a store somewhere, and i got that. I can keep going but it will bore you so. But anyways i will pick it up sometime this year. I hope :)

presley3577 11 January, 2013 @ 7:06 pm   54

I have 12 platinum trophies, but have 5 games where i need 1 trophy to platinum them so gonna try and platinum these and get at least 1 trophy per day as getting trophies is a satisfying feeling especially beating the game and getting platinums

sneakygriff 11 January, 2013 @ 7:20 pm   55

Made several in regards to gaming as I’ve picked up several bad habits over the last year.

1. Focus on one game at a time. There are so many good games out there these days..it causes me to get really distracted, every time I pick up a game I play it for a few hours and then suddenly I have something else to play and end up forgetting about the first game. So yeah, I’d like to finish some games for a change, as much as the time between a job, a gf, and social commitments allows it. In this regard I decided to fill out a spreadsheet with all my games, and give them ratings from 1 to 10, in accordance with how much I want to play them then proceed to take them on one a time.

2. The 2nd commitment I made for this year is to stop buying so many games and not play them and actually attend to some of the games that I have bought. I keep buying stuff even though I still have at least 5 games sealed for the PS3 in my library, a bunch of downloadables from PS-plus, another bunch of digital purchases, not to mention a library of about 200 games on Steam…half of which I purchased last year.

3. Save up enough money for the next-gen PS console at the end of the year! That’s definetly the highlight for me this year.

jehuty_2174 11 January, 2013 @ 7:32 pm   56

My number one change will be towards the online-community.
I dont want to react to other players that much.
what i’m getting at is the partially unhuman way we communicate to oneanother.
If someone provokes me this time around i ll just flat out ignore them.
the ting is that we are all responsible for the eco-system of our community.If u get to absorved by this you tend to triet other players over that times slietly rude.
I’ve seen this on myself and some of my friends,so this year i’m not reacting to haters and trolls.

And neiter should YOU!!!

I’m too old for any intentional resolutions to change my gaming habits. If something will change, than it will either be enforced by factors out of my control or simply be result of a natural evolution.

mgcemir85 11 January, 2013 @ 7:36 pm   58

mine resolution is to buy and play mass effect trilogy from start to finish on ps3!

Be addicted to PS3/PSVita even more by a year packed of great games for them both…

Puppeteer, The Last of Us, Tear Away, Bioshock Infinite, God of War A., Killzone Vita (waiting out how well that one is done though) and more…

Oh and buying more PSVita discount deals, that is if they’re given like USA got them with Xmas. That would be LittleBigPlanet Vita for an over 50% discount and Escape Plan half price too :-)

pokersean 11 January, 2013 @ 7:54 pm   60

Well this is simple. I’m going to try and stop my addiction to lbp and big sky infinity and try to play some different games.

I do have a bit of a checklist. First I want to learn how to play fps games on PC. Currently I’m awful at them. After that I want to play some games I get for my birthday. Hoping for sly 4 and psabr.Number 3 complete the challenge tower in mk. That ones going to be fun. I also want to keep up with the ps plus games which I have currently been failing to do.

I also need to start playing my steam games that I bought in the sales. And of course hopefully I’ll cut out some time spent with other games in order to play borderlands 2.

AntGreenfield 11 January, 2013 @ 7:55 pm   61

2013 is the year I plan to broaden the types of games I play online. For the past few years (Mainly thanks to the likes of Codies F1 titles) I’ve predominantly played racing titles online thus neglecting the multiplayer aspects of games such as Little Big Planet 2, the original Borderlands, Killzone 3 etc etc etc.

With the amount of games coming our way courtesy of the superb Playstation Plus I plan to venture online with a far wider range of titles such as Mortal Kombat, partake of a little multiplayer Bioshock 2, co-op some Ratchet & Clank All 4 One and any others that turn up in the course of the next 12 months.

See you all online!!! :)

supersmith2500 11 January, 2013 @ 8:03 pm   62

My resolutions is get more great games for the Vita and trust me there is some great titles coming for the Vita this year, finish off Mass Effect 3 so I can move on to InFamous 2 since it’s free for Plus members and play it before it’s gone and I heard it’s a great game. Completing Mass Effect 3 is my main goal this year. Don’t care about the poor ending though since endings to me don’t matter and help out other players with their online trophies in co-op games. I seriously need to play co-op games so badly. And if I get the chance, I’ll will try and get more 1st-party games for PSone if possible (including Wip3out and boy do I want that game so bad). Shame there is not many retro game shops selling PSone games now around in my area. :(

navelfluff 11 January, 2013 @ 8:19 pm   63

I’d like to change the fact I never have enough money for games! Theres so many I want coming out in 2013; last of us, DMC, dead space 3, tomb raider plus loads from 2012 I havent even gotten around to yet!

Yoshikart64 11 January, 2013 @ 8:25 pm   64

My resolution is to play more games with my brother. We always used to have a co-op game on the go but it seems like we never have the time anymore. Not to forget my sister, she wasn’t much of a gamer but she used to enjoy taking part and having a go.

Everything’s better shared right?

Opt1mus76 11 January, 2013 @ 8:26 pm   65

Last year was the first time I’ve made a New Year’s Resolution based on my gaming. I looked at my backlog and decided I should aim to complete more of my games. It started well with eight games finished within two weeks and then it hit me. Dark Souls dragged me into its unforgiving and unrelenting grasp. After several weeks I managed to move on even though I haven’t finished it. Throughout the rest of last year I’ve failed in that as many games I’ve finished, another two have appeared on my shelf.
This year I have set myself the same goal but I fear its a losing battle with XCOM now sucking me in. My gaming time has been hit hard by my children getting older whilst still being too young for me to play violent games when they are awake/home. Still too young to learn the nuances of Fifa and too erratic even for Need For Speed. They’ll learn. They’re only young after all.
Will I succeed with my resolution? Doubtful but I will try

Nazar_Ops 11 January, 2013 @ 8:32 pm   66

I want to get into the RPG spirit. Reason is why i want that, is because people claim that RPG games takes a long time to complete. And i kinda like that. It gives me a reason to continue playing the game, rather than finish it and trade it in.

My next goal is Platinum all the current games i have. There’s a lot of games that i have and i haven’t platinumed them yet. So before i go and buy a new game, i want to platinum my current games, to finish them 100%.

S-o-h-a-i-l 11 January, 2013 @ 8:34 pm   67

On New Years Eve (my birthday), my girlfriend threw me a surprise party – I had a surprise of my own prepared however, the conclusion: I am now a happily engaged man.

So what would I like to change in my gaming habits ? A lot less time spent leaning in towards my TV screen as if I’m trying to enter it Persona 4 style, and a lot more time spent with my to-be wife…leaning into the TV screen together (she is a gamer herself luckily enough).

From having The Last of Us & Bioshock Infinite on my preorder list, I’ve instead turned to Sly 4 (for the Vita cross-play functionality) & Dead Space 3 (co-op and the chance to scare the hell outta her).

This year will be a great year for gaming – for more reasons then I had initially thought.

My resolution is that I’ve realised that gaming sometimes takes me away from my family, so I need to find games that I can play with my daughters and share my hobby instead of disappearing off to play.

So, its time to bring the Playstation 3 in to the lounge and to dust off those multiplayer games for a blast on a racer or to download a few kid-friendly PSN titles. I could even go so far as being persuaded to get a Wonderbook.

Of course, my more mature games wouldn’t be forgotten, but they would take their rightful place once the kids have been safely tucked in bed.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 11 January, 2013 @ 8:36 pm   69

In order to squeeze every penny out of my game I now challenge myself to platinum them all or achieve all trophies I can possibly achieve. In doing so, I eliminate the need to unnecessarily go out and buy games and find myself enjoying them more. I plan to do this with every game from now on.

Jestersoil 11 January, 2013 @ 8:39 pm   70

first of all, HAPPY 2013 to the whole community!! :D

well, regarding gaming, in 2013 i’d like to have more money to be able to buy all these awesome new releases that awaits us :P
and of course be able to finally complete the ps plus remainers (i know, there’s no such word)!!

i really hope to be able to finally play all the Skryim dlc :D :D :D

Happy new year boys and girls!!!

Opt1mus76 11 January, 2013 @ 9:03 pm   71

Last year was the first time I’ve made a New Year’s Resolution based on my gaming. I looked at my backlog and decided I should aim to complete more of my games. It started well with eight games finished within two weeks and then it hit me. Dark Souls dragged me into its unforgiving and unrelenting grasp. After several weeks I managed to move on even though I haven’t finished it. Throughout the rest of last year I’ve failed purely because as many games I’ve finished, another two have appeared on my shelf.

None of this is helped by my gaming time being hit hard by my children getting older too. Whilst still being too young for me to play violent games when they are awake/home, they do enjoy playing two-player Skylanders Giants and Lego Batman 2 even though both are complete. Unfortunately still too young to learn the nuances of Fifa and too erratic even for Need For Speed. They’ll learn. They’re only children after all.
Will I succeed with my resolution this time? Doubtful. I guess I’m doomed to fail again

Project2insanity 11 January, 2013 @ 9:10 pm   72

Must… resist… low… prices. Can’t… finish… all…

I will start playing more and more different games. Indie titles and some long lost gems, that have somehow gotten past me. Also I will start to take notes on the games I play. Almost like reviewing, but for myself, so that in the future I can see if I have changed my opinion somehow. I would also like to start looking at games more critically. At the aesthetics, the storyline and overall impact on myself as a human being.

I think that the medium of games is evolving faster than ever and I don’t want to miss out on everything they have to offer.

Oh and I am really looking forward to playing the last of us, bioshock infinite, beyond and tomb raider. Especially with my new mindset. :)

Pug-zilla 11 January, 2013 @ 9:57 pm   74

Well mine is nice and simple, with my job and everything else my gaming time is severely lacking, so mine is to make more time to play, with so many great games on the horizon I need all the time I can get.

Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account. ~Oscar Wilde

PIREDERAS 11 January, 2013 @ 10:19 pm   76

I have played so many single-player games last year, I’d like to play more co-op games, especially in my PS3. 2, 3, 4 players, locally or online, no online multiplayer first person shooters and crap like that. A good example is the fun I had playing Rayman Origins and Trine. In the same way, I believe that Fuse (ex-Overstrike, I liked the first name much more…) is going to be a good choice for a co-op game when it is finally released, provided it turns out to be a really good one. The same goes for my PS Vita. I’m a bit tired of single-player games. I’ve been playing LittleBigPlanet PS Vita for the past week and it’s really fun to have the ability to play a 2-player, or even a 4-player, mini-game on the same screen with others, simultaneously or taking turns. I’d like more games (not every single one, of course) to do the same.

lefskisofiq 11 January, 2013 @ 10:36 pm   77

My new year’s resolution is to catch up with all the games I’ve downloaded because of PS plus and to finish most of them.I will play 3 types of games at the same time – a shooter, an open world game, and anything that doesn’t belong in those two categories. I will spend about a month and a half on 3 games and then move to another 3 for a month and a half and so on.
I started with Bioshock 2 for a shooter, Red Dead Redemption for an open world game, and Mortal Kombat for a third game.I won’t be focusing on the multiplayer of the games, just finishing the story/singleplayer.If I get bored from one game I can always start one of the other two and it will be a completely new experience and that’s why I think that it’s a great resolution!

As always, mine is to play that backlog of gaming goodness staring at me on the shelf or whirring around the hard drive!

I think any gamer is quilty of purchasing a game with the intent(and more importantly want)to play it, continuously telling themselves, right next up is definitely [INSERT YOUR GAME HERE] going in the disk drive…

…the games that were SUCH A GOOD PRICE how can I not buy it?

…and my favourite ‘I need to go back and play…..’

But something new ALWAYS grabs us or a favourite pulls us back in and THAT game we meant to play sits on the shelf weeping and wondering ‘why don’t they want to play with me…why aren’t my trophies/achievements good enough’

Well i’ve told myself, NOT THIS YEAR, this year I’m going to dive head first into my backlog and I’m going to play those bargain buys and must plays.

2013 will be the year I finally experience ico, play the original Prince of Persia Trilogy back to back and take in the beauty of okami. I’m going to flip the ratio of unplayed and played games to the positive in my steam list and play those impulse sale purchases on the PSN and Xbox Live Arcade (let alone the freebies PLUS keeps giving me!)

The only problem is where do I start…. :p

silent_strike95 11 January, 2013 @ 11:48 pm   79

Gaming habits I’d like to change?
Not sure if it really counts, but I’d like to stop needing a break every 2 and a half hours.
Pesky bladder getting in the way of long gaming sessions, interrupting dramatic cutscenes all the time.
And always right when you can’t pause, too. Grrrrrrrrr

Xephon1970 11 January, 2013 @ 11:54 pm   80

Finish games before I start any others – currently finishing off Borderlands 2, which I last played in November, before cracking on with Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Assassin’s Creed III, Darksiders II, Okami HD…

Play (and finish) more ‘under-bought’ games and then get others to buy them. Bulletstorm is an excellent example of a great game that nobody bought; it was the first game I bought for my PS3 back in 2011 and I had a blast, but everyone I asked said it looked stupid and boring so refused to buy it.
Binary Domain is another ‘under-bought’ game I purchased last year on a whim and I loved every second of it. So with that in mind, off I go to finish Heavenly Sword, Valkyria Chronicles, WET, Ico HD and Shadow of the Colossus HD :D

Few years ago I got sick and in the beginning of last year my body deteriorated so much I had to stop working. My disposable income shrunk considerably but I had more time to play so I bought Plus.
I played lots of games and had a lot of fun with most of them but some I didn’t like that much but played just to have something to do. that is what I will stop doing. If a game doesn’t speak to me I leave it alone. I also stop hording every collectable for the sake of it in a game.
The deterioration unfortunately continues and my gaming time needs to be filled with more quality. No shortage of that with games like The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Remember Me and all those other games that are coming. Now there is still the money thing… Let’s hope Plus will help me out there in the mean time or I’ll go back to some old lovers, the older games that deserve to be played once more.

oops double post, sometimes I hate the PS3 web browser :/

Both awaiting moderation anyway, so whoever moderates them delete one please :P

Witcher70 12 January, 2013 @ 12:18 am   84

Not much I’d like to change in terms of gaming habits, I love RPGs and would love to plat one, Rainbow Moon is high on my plat list at 70% completion, I plan to play more and work through my sizeable backlog of games both on disc and downloads, looking forward to Ne No Kuni, Sly, The Last of Us, Sumioni, The Last Guardian and many many many more !!!!

Finally finish Dark Souls.
PLAY HARDER.

Because I tried life – the graphics were great but the gameplay sucked.

dmc4_nadeem 12 January, 2013 @ 1:16 am   86

hardly finished 2-3 games in 2012 ….
wish to multiply this by 10 atleast…
dmc
gow
gta5
last of us
tomb raider
ac3
resident evil 7 .. lol .. who knows
etc etc

Dreadnoughtw 12 January, 2013 @ 1:24 am   87

Happy 2013 to all of u in the 1st place……

now for the topic at hand >:D

to be honest, been changing my habits abit, mostly cause of the studies ive been having, so now a days i play abit less on ps3 but with the release of several games I’ve been waiting its rly hard not to resist getting back to it :D

already got 1 of the list wich was Assassins Creed 3, now with MGS Rising appearing in February its another one i need to buy
also waiting for a rpg serie of Tales, Tales of Xillia also confirmed to be released in europe but so far no confirmed date, so as u can see lots of goddies coming and no time at all to play them xD

anyway these are the 3 1st games on my really need to get list.

if it wasnt for the crisis Europe going through right now maybe i would have more money to get more games and complete my missing game list i had to put apart of the main one but things are what they are

God shave us all! if the crisis put an end to all economy in Europe.

lets hope these bad times get pass with no incidents more then been having at the moment.

Best of luck to all

tiago-kun 12 January, 2013 @ 2:19 am   88

I decided to reduce drastically the number of games I buy day one. The pre-order offers have been more effective on my purchasing decision that I like. So now, I’m carefully picking what games to get at full price and which one I can wait for a price drop.
I was stunned by how much I spent on games and how much I could have saved if I just decided to wait a few months.
The way I will make this work (or at least try to) is to avoid similar games, and instead, go for what I like more of the options available and get the others a few months later if I’m still interested in playing them.
I already made a good plan until May: MGS Rising, Persona 4 Golden, Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us. All different from each other and while it’s true some are quite apart from each other, I’m couting on the PS+ game collection and my shiny new Vita to fill the bits and pieces in between :)

PS: @chrisboers If you like JRPGs, I recommend Ni No Kuni, it’s a game made by level-5 in collaboration with Studio Ghibli, so you can count on a great rpg and ghibli charm. And there’s a demo on the store, so you can try it out :)

Shinoda_2qx 12 January, 2013 @ 3:19 am   89

Well, I have a couple of New Year resolutions for gaming!

Firstly, having pre-ordered Crysis 3 last month, I am promising to platinum all 3 Crysis games in 2013!

Secondly, despite playing a great many games in 2012, it really bugged me to find that the top 4 games in the GOTY votes (AC3, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Black Ops 2) had eluded me, as well as your personal choice Fred; Dishonored! Clearly I have missed out on some awesome games, and I intend to rectify this by playing through all 5 titles this year! I’m particularly looking forward to Far Cry 3!

Third, and finally, given that the year of the Snake will fall upon us next month, I feel it only appropriate to pre-order Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros as soon as a release date is named! I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this game!

Those are my resolutions, happy new year to all, and good luck everybody with your own resolutions!

DayDr3emrs 12 January, 2013 @ 3:24 am   90

Mine is to start finishing games. All too often I buy a game and either get sidetracked by Multiplayer( black ops 2) or play it til the next game comes along and never come back to complete.

Recently got Dishonored and plan on finishing it. *fingers crossed*

Gotta be to actually go back and finish games sitting at 75% completion, I find it really difficult to find the effort to replay a game, or even when Ive finished one to go back to one Ive not played for a while.
And also to stop spoiling the story by looking at hidden trophies and suggested walkthroughs, almost avoided that with Dishonored, looked at the Wiki for a level, went onto a characters page out of curisosity and spoiled a pretty major plotpoint >_>.
And also play a game without looking at the trophy list at all, see how much I can get done towards the plat, managed up to 40 odd% for Fallout New Vegas (about 30% of which was the DLC still to do)
Oh and finally to get a co-op partner to finish the 5 or so games Id like to play, but have co-op and therefore dont want to play solo, with a decet partner it usually adds to the fun >_>.

A_Nonny_Moose 12 January, 2013 @ 6:24 am   92

Not so much a gaming habit, but I need to travel more. I enjoy my Vita very much, but it’s not exactly being used as a PORTABLE games console at the moment. Mostly I play it bed, which is definitely getting some use out the portability factor, but it still feels like a bit of a waste to have such a nice portable device and only use it at home.

So I’d like to game more while on the go in 2013.

I would like to stop playing so much fifa 13 and start actually playing some of the gazillion titles iv downloaed due to these excellent sales. Way to many good offers on at the moment and not enough game time to play them. If only I could stop with the ultimate team mode on fifa 13 and start playing me some journey, unfinished swan or sleeping dogs etc. Then theres the free games on plus, no idea where im gonna find time

I would really like to complete the games i buy since i rarely do because i HATE endings that much.

my 3 year old just managed yesterday to start playing skylanders on his own so teach him to play that more and he is also enjoying sonic all star racing transformed

stop trying to get trophies and just enjoy playing through games rather than trophies hunting all the time.

play through the 30 odd ps3 games I have from fps to racing games.

THE_FORCE 12 January, 2013 @ 7:58 am   96

@86(Dreadnoughtw) I really wish he would as I find shaving so boring.

THE_FORCE 12 January, 2013 @ 8:00 am   97

Sorry number 86. That was meant for number 87.

Sorry for calling you a number too. You’re more than just a number.

BlueRaven 12 January, 2013 @ 8:14 am   98

This year i would like to change my gaming habit to enable me to respond to everyday things around me while i game.
At the moment, as soon as i start playing my PS3 i “zone out”,a bomb could go off and i wouldn’t realise.

My wife and family would love for me to take part in their lives…

Not sure how long this resolution will last….but i’ll try

Jamesyp00 12 January, 2013 @ 9:49 am   99

The new gaming years kicked off already with Anarchy reigns, and DmC follows in a few days with ni no kuni topping off the end of the month, In all hoenstly i’ll just be trying my hardest to finish every game that comes out, though my resolution this year is to not hype any games at all and just play through ones i actually find enjoyable, got burned a bit at the end of last year with things like Assassins creed 3 and dishonored etc, no more rage at games this year, just pure fun!

Chunker76 12 January, 2013 @ 9:55 am   100

To actually play ANY game to completion before starting something new and then playing only 1 part of that game before, you got it getting something new and starting that….gotta love the PS Plus, and now that we get Vita games as well, I just don’t have enough time in the day. Been thinking we should petition for a national Playstation day for gaming (I know plenty of us do this on a regular basis anyway) and class it as a bank holiday, anyhow I digress, just to stick with and complete a game

Cheers

Commandofin 12 January, 2013 @ 10:13 am   101

Would be nice to be able to raise my boiling point with beginners.
Recently you can see this with Natural Selection 2 where beginners don’t know what to do. I could solve this problem easily by just talking and helping but I don’t care to talk with randoms anymore for some reason.
I also get annoyed by beginners who think they know how to play but don’t know basics of the game.
Also got a bit frustrated with my friends last time we played Borderlands because they seemed to be sheepherd without shepherd.
Maybe I should talk more in games, if only the others would listen also.

I think for 2013 I need to settle down with 1 game at a time like I used to do. In 2012 i signed up to a game rental service and between that and the excellent PS Plus service have been playing 4-5 games a week without really giving most the attention they deserved. I must admit that I have uncovered a few excellent games that i gave my time to and i probably wouldnt have bought otherwise (Driver SF, Carnival island, Borderlands to name a few)
I shocked myself into game sobriety the other day when playing “rogue agent” and when dying for the second time i just gave up on the game there and then. it made me think of all the hours i had put into FF7 and Grandia in my youth and realised i was not giving these games (no matter how well they are made) the attention they required from all the work that had been put into them.
Therefore at the end of the month I am jacking in the rental service and focusing on clearing the backlog of PSPlus games 1 at a time before Ni No Kuni takes me back to the golden age of JRPG’s again

TINTINTB303 12 January, 2013 @ 12:32 pm   103

Make a dent in my pile of shame (games I’ve started and not finished and games I have but haven’t even loaded up yet!!)

I need a special machine that gives me a few extra “me gaming” hours each day :-D

CP-Daniel 12 January, 2013 @ 12:33 pm   104

Play more old games, im tired of new games XD so im packing up my Ps1 and my Ps2 and possibly some old nintendo’s, this will be a good year :)

HighflyerVII 12 January, 2013 @ 1:16 pm   105

Well, my immediate New Years Resolution – as of yesterday – is to get my yellow light of death fixed :(. Then, is to start using my PS+ cloud to back up my saves!

But when it comes to the future, and the rest of the year: My resolution is to be more focused. I’ve spent the last two years flipping between games to the point that I have so many unfinished that I never know where to start – generally leaving me to spend money getting something new to start

So focus – get through my games, be a little *less* trophy-oriented and most importantly…enjoy myself

Superbuu3 12 January, 2013 @ 1:51 pm   106

I would like to have the attention and dedication to individual games to actually finish them. I keep buying games at a faster rate then i can play them and I have some great gems to still get through. I’m sure if i was more systematic and stuck with one game rather than changing up games all the time. I wouldn’t waste so much time getting reacquainted with the controls and could just enjoy all that PS3 and Vita goodness.

Tangerineroach 12 January, 2013 @ 1:54 pm   107

I need to find balance. I’m studying game design, and the course itself is rather difficult. I don’t want to fail it because of playing too much games. On the other hand, If I don’t play enough of them, I won’t learn how to be a designer either. The best plan would be to make a schedule and stick to it.

Also, I should make notes about the games I’m playing, to get more out of them. I probably need to grow a third hand.

silmorat1 12 January, 2013 @ 2:11 pm   108

I need to play more games on my rather neglected ps3! My Vita has sort of taken over my gaming preference at the moment. The near feature on the vita has somehow made me want to have more friends to play with with the likes of treasure park.
I just wish I had more time in the day to play but hey I have to sleep!

GT-R32_Skyline 12 January, 2013 @ 2:18 pm   109

I guess my resolution would be to make more money so i can buy all the games i want like last year i couldn’t buy a lot of the games that were released and i wanted. Of course it would help if you picked me and gave me Borderlands 2 for free that would be one game off my to buy list “wink wink” “nudge nudge” :D

XboxDave360 12 January, 2013 @ 2:22 pm   110

The problem I have is the same problem I have had since the original oblivian and two worlds came out…. I can’t stop playing them!!!! Skyrrim gets turned on and the next thing I know is the sun is coming up and I still haven’t been to bed… good thing I live on my own really:-)
I was going to make a new years resolution to cut back on gaming…. but then thought `sod that` let’s game on…. where’s skyrrim?!?!?!

almighty-slayer 12 January, 2013 @ 3:12 pm   111

One thing Playstation Plus is good for is gathering a HUGE backlog of games to play through. So one of my 2013 resolutions has to be to actually PLAY the games i get free through Plus. I’ve got content sat there from last October that i haven’t even started yet (well, I haven’t even finished MS:A yet and that’s been there since IGC started!). I also buy a LOT of games (possibly way too many), so my backlog of paid for games is rather large. Maybe it would be a good idea to not buy a new game until i’ve finished the one i’m currently playing?

I can’t see myself sticking to this for longer than a few weeks at most, if i’m honest.

Farrmark 12 January, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   112

Simply put I’m going to focus on the games I already have rather than buy any more. The only exceptions will be Bioshock Infinite and Aliens Colonial Marines. I have 150+ XBLA games, 100+ games ong Steam and 100+ and counting thanks to PS+.

Time to save some cash and play catch up this year :-)

I think im gonna re-visit some of my all time favourite Playstation titles before the flood of brilliant up and coming games.
The main ones being,
The somewhat under appreciated Deus Ex: Human Revolution, one of my all time favourites.
I’ll definiteley have to re-visit the amazing underworld city of rapture in Bioshock 1&2 before being introduced to culumbia in the third installment.
Do battle with the Helghast under the command of colonel Radec in the epic Killzone 2.
And save the best till last and take on the members of foxhound in my all time favourite Metal Gears Solid 1.

And then of course get back to just enjoying the years brilliant new games.

declan__watson 12 January, 2013 @ 3:40 pm   114

Hey there Fred
My new years resolution, that would be just to focus alot on gaming and also working in school achieving my highest. I recently confirmed my expectations to work for sony when im older. Great new games which are coming out this session and also looking forward to this Destination PlayStation event next month. I watched sonys Ces 2013 press conference on tuesday very pleased with what you guys showed off. I mean medical thats outstanding, just think few years you will be thankful for saving peoples lives thats outstanding work. 4K monitors, tvs etc. Noticed Kazou hirai getting a ps4 question the last thing he wanted to expect. ;) But I can get all the hype and ps3 twking over xbox tells us that you guys keep your word true. Thankyou very much to Sony Computer Entertainment for 12 years of joy and sony for a tremendus year. My new years resolution is Never Stop Playing. :) LongLivePlay

declan__watson 12 January, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   115

Tremendus new Smartphone Xperia Z an iPhone 5 and Samsung galaxy killer thats for sure. Forgot to mention when I said ps3 taking over xbox I had ment by sales but ps3 had already bettem xbox anyway. Thanks again Fred ;) LongLivePlay

superJCwarrior 12 January, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   116

My resolution is to play more RPG’s, already started my resolution with Dragons Dogma and i am going to do borderlands 1 as soon as i’m done. My second part of my resolution is to play more Co-op games and feb is looking to be a great month with Aliens Colonial Marines and Dead Space 3 coming up just in time for my Birthday, and i can always do Borderlands and Dragons Dogma Co-op to achieve both my resolutions at the same time.

TheNudgeMan 12 January, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   117

I’m going to try and get my girlfriend to play more games with me!

At the minute, all I can convince her to play is the occasional game of Peggle, which is great of course, but i’m looking for something more substantial.

I’m looking at you, Rayman Origins!

Sneakachuu 12 January, 2013 @ 6:52 pm   118

I just bought myself a Ps3 so my gameing this year would probaly just increase :)

But you guys would make my gameing experience even better if you could add Kingdom hearts to the PSN :D
Me and my friends haveing our fringers crossed on that one:3

Chrome-Hazard 12 January, 2013 @ 6:53 pm   119

Gaming habits, huh? Well, I’ve been meaning to create a website for a while now to write my own thoughts and opinions/reviews on the games I finish and platinum, however I always put it off. I have the domain name and hosting space and everything, but as opposed to sitting down and writing about the game I’ve just beaten, I can’t help but to get stuck in to the next one, not to mention I have a sizable backlog of games which makes it even harder! But there are just so many damn good games coming out every week!

MafiaCub 12 January, 2013 @ 7:12 pm   120

I’d like to change my genre dependance.

I play all sorts of games, literally, I’ll play anything. However when I look at my must buys lists, and my rental lists, RPG’s are always top priority.

I don’t have an issue with that, I love RPGs (clearly) but I’m at a stage of life now (married with child) where I don’t have as much time as I want to play 100hour RPGs. A game that lasts 20-40 hours can last me 3-6 months sometimes, and I’m happy with that.

But few RPG’s are that size for total completion, and it’s RPG’s I always turn to when I feel the need to really escape. I want to get more into first person shooters. I just need a perfect cross over game, so that soon when I need to escape from life, I can go shoot people for 30-60 minutes and really enjoy it. Rather than doing an hour on an RPG and then realising that I really need to do 2-3 more hours before I actually accomplish anything.

KavinSarragin 12 January, 2013 @ 7:12 pm   121

Well, I would like to play more genres. 2012 was packed with FPS ot TPS games, with only a few indies or an RPG or two to spice things up. But this year I would like to play more strategy games. Or turn-based games. Something slower, just so I can relax…

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 12 January, 2013 @ 7:48 pm   122

I hope to be a lot less fussy about the order I play games in. Always been reluctant to play a sequel until I have completed (yes, 100% game and trophies) the preceding game. Mission 53 will no longer stop me moving on and enjoying Sonic Adventure 2. ;)

doomsday619 12 January, 2013 @ 8:14 pm   123

Play more games online, after playing Warhawk alot online i think that is the only online game this generation that i have run up hours of online play.
For some reason i have become more of a single player fan and only have multiplayer when i have friends around.
And second would be to try and platinum as many games as i can this year but with so many amazing exclusives on their way i cant see myself keeping that one.

I’m going to try and play through more of the (almost unmanageable) plethora of games provided to me by PS Plus. My tactic is now to get at least one playthrough of more games with less emphasis on completionism and Platinum trophies (well sometimes at least).

MissDreamer 12 January, 2013 @ 9:18 pm   125

I need to finish my backlog of games before I buy anymore. I bought loads of games last year and I’m really struggling to get through them. So my new years resolution is to complete the games I’ve got before buying new ones. Hopefully I’ll stick to it. I think I got a bit carried away buying games last year.

waffen-skane 12 January, 2013 @ 10:56 pm   126

Hello my name is Razmus and i mayby gonna try a new genre horror and the name of the game is dead space 3 and i hope in this year its gonna come out more co-op games like Far Cry3 and borderlands it had all you could ask for action and SWEET SWEET LOOT it never ends insted of two teams shooting each other only for some XP and mayby some nice titels for the PS vita because the power in the PS vita is awsome and i gonna visit the playstation blog more often because it got all the information a gamer could ask for

monoliet 12 January, 2013 @ 11:56 pm   127

me=
if i buy miself home = lesser buying new games ( waiting low budget )
if not = i play like always

Stonesthrow 65 € ???? = i have lots special edition 65/75 €

ea/sony /ubisoft/rockstar al asking to good selling serie 65 €
normal price in store = 59 € ( max persone = not axepting more )
65 € normal edition = no way i pay

jimbob12345678 13 January, 2013 @ 12:53 am   128

Sleep less, play more :)

Keep it simple!

Well, I’d like to genetically engineer my body so that my fingers could move at the speed of sound and so that I would have four arms. Of course that would be to pull off some SSSPECTACULAR combos in DmC: Devil May Cry.
I think I’d also fit my Ps3 with a jet engine fan, so that overheating is never an issue when I lose the other half of the year to The Last of Us.
Maybe I’d develop a chromosone halting device working on a frequency the size of my room so that I wouldn’t age and time wouldn’t move around me, meaning I could finish of Skyrim and still have time to get to that meeting.
A food serving android is also a must, I would never have to leave my bed to get a drink (if I have a drink, I take a shots worth whenever I die).

But really, I think I’d like to change my habits by being more controlled on one game and not over indulging in all the others. And with so many good games this year, if I don’t, I probably won’t get to finish them all!

I normally avoid ‘stealth’ games like the plague (only Bond and Batman have any business skulking in air-ducts), but I’ve decided to try and break the habit, so got Dishonored and Deus Ex to have another crack at it. So far I’ve managed to do the first section in Dishonored using non-lethal measures and only being spotted once. Given that normally I would have waded in with sword and pistol blazing after five minutes, I think it’s a pretty good start :)

KoopaTim 13 January, 2013 @ 10:14 am   131

2012 was a year of catching up for me, I spent a lot of time playing games I hadn’t played before, like all the Assassin’s Creed, Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper games. This year I intend to play some new releases as they come out, so I’m looking forward to playing games and discussing them with gamers as they come out, and not be years behind, time to get on the hype train!

Gincairn 13 January, 2013 @ 11:18 am   132

This is a fairly easy one for me to answer for a change, this year I’ve decided not to allow myself to have such a large pile of shame.

So for this year as well as picking up the few titles I’m interested in, I’m also going to go back and work on some of the games that I’ve put to one side, there are some varied titles to go through.

The only games I won’t go back to are those that I wish I had never bought, I could list them but I don’t want to bad-mouth games here for fear of starting an internet argument.

But it does mean a busy year for me, currently the pile of shame is a tad on the large side.

The key to achieving goals is to make them specific, so mine is to finish Beyond Good and Evil, so I am ready for when the second installment is released!

CharcoalDragon 13 January, 2013 @ 2:10 pm   134

I am just coming back to gaming after approximately 3 years of volunteer work, so I’m going to be trying to catch up on the big things of 2010-2012. But I am also planning on starting a University Degree mid-year so I hope to remain focused enough on my studies too.

Opt1mus76 13 January, 2013 @ 2:18 pm   135

Oops, just noticed my comment got double posted (65 & 71). My bad. Think I’m gonna give up posting using my mobile as this isn’t first time its done this :(

nonkelvladimir 13 January, 2013 @ 3:55 pm   136

Since I’m living together with my girlfriend in a small appartment nowadays, I’ll have to change some gaming habbits. I don’t want my constellation of PS3-beamer-wall-gaming noises to ruin my wedding plans :-)

So I will start scheduling:
- When she’s out of the house, I’ll use the whole wall, listen to surround sound, yell at my adversaries and disappear completely into many magnificent RPG-worlds.
- When she comes back, I will always be playing games like Flower, Journey, Unfinished Swan and LBP on a smaller screen and with headphones. I’ll act surprised when she enters, only to point out how lovely my gaming experience just was. Don’t you think these games are an art form, darling?

Solid_Snake1987 13 January, 2013 @ 5:45 pm   137

My major change in gaming habit actually came at the end of 2012, though I’ll be seeing it through into 2013. Now that my free time is a bit more scarce than it has been in the past, I naturally have less time to play games. As a result I’ve got to up the quality of my gaming to make up for the lack of quantity.

In the past I would grind repeatedly to increase my characters stats in RPGs, search out every collectible in open world games and get every trophy I could, regardless of whether it was any fun doing so and most of the time it wasn’t.

So now my resolution is to make sure my gaming time is fun. Pure unadulterated fun. Make it less of a chore and more of a blast. Only play a game if I’m actually having fun, which is why I started play in the first place. If that means I’ve got a few more games on 50 – 60% then so be it.

Whether or not my OCD can handle that is a different matter…

DoubleDriveX 13 January, 2013 @ 6:57 pm   138

I’d definitely change my habit of not finishing games completely, I usually stop half way wanting to try another awesome game. Then I get hooked on that, and then once again, move to other games. And with playstation plus, there are just too many games to enjoy!! I subscribed in December and have around 17 games or so at the moment and only managed to play 2-3 games halfway through. So as you can tell, there is still lot of playtime to be done.

Dante_Zero 13 January, 2013 @ 8:26 pm   139

I need to actually finish more games and start working through my back log. I hit 10,000 trophies this year and i want to hit 200 platinums in 2013. In order to do that though i’m really gonna have to finish games and platinuming them. I’m at 143 at the moment so 57 to go and a nice Bordlands 2 Goodie bag would be a great way to comemerate 2012 and motivate me for 2013. lol nudge nudge wink wink. :)

TheMighty_MuMbY 13 January, 2013 @ 10:49 pm   140

For years I’ve always bought physical games which have cluttered shelves, draws and any free space.

So my new years revolution is ‘Out with the disk and in with the download!’

2013 begins my journey to start building a completely digital library. My first purchases have been the unfinished swan and journey (fantastic games to begin with).

Hopefully this will be one revolution I can actually stick to.

Mine’s pretty simple to be honest:

Just to play more games this year! :D

JonnyPauz 14 January, 2013 @ 11:14 am   142

I’ve graduated form uni now so I have to start my career so my New Year’s gaming resolution is to be able to find balance between work, life and gaming. I may have to go portable and get a vita to keep my gaming thirst quenched while I travel to work as it might be train. This is where the quality not quantity of the games comes into play (this subject was covered extensively in a previous debate). So all in all I’m not sure what this year will have install for me but my gaming habit will be changing so my resolution to find balance between work, life and gaming will be an important one for me.

kalel1981 14 January, 2013 @ 12:19 pm   143

My main resolution would be to finish games properply. I don’t mean 100% platinum trophy every single game I play – there’s too many games out there for that. But what I’m guility of is either getting bored, taking too long of a break between gaming sessions, or buying something new and forgetting about the game i was playing last week./ I’ve got a pile of games that need finishing so my main resolution is to not buy anymore games until that pile is gone (free games don’t count though, so please feel free to send away ;-) )

solid--raiden 14 January, 2013 @ 1:29 pm   144

Been wanting to try a weekend debate for a while, :D so i suppose this IS the first part of my new years resolution:

secondly an obvious one “pile of shame”, last year was my first time playing chrono trigger so im hoping to find another glorious old game to surprise me this year. Possibly symphony of the night now it’s on psn here.

and thirdly i want to try my own hand at some video game programming, i’ve been meaning to have a go for a while now, so hopefully this year will be the year!

Dante_Zero 14 January, 2013 @ 3:14 pm   145

So anybody pick a winner yet? lol :)

Fred Dutton 14 January, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

Sorry for the delay! Slight hold up this week – I will announce winners first thing on Tuesday morning!

R3dC3llTran3 15 January, 2013 @ 9:54 am   146

Wth? A guy writes 3 lines and wins and writes something just for writing and others await for friday to write and they dont make 3 lines they do a text and dont win? I didnt even get to sleep just for waiting. Sorry but some winners this week dont deserve it tiago deserves more than that one him or another guy 3 lines seriously?

Lunastra78 15 January, 2013 @ 10:12 am   147

@R3dC3llTran3

I think this contest was UK only, so us non-brits didn’t stand a chance.

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Weekend Debate is open to everyone. It does appear there were a number of UK winners this week, but that’s coincidence, not deliberate. I’ll change the tagging next week for greater clarity.

chrisboers 15 January, 2013 @ 10:20 am   148

Nope, OttoT won, and he’s Dutch. Also, it has repeatedly been stated that the competition is open to all countries within SCEE. It’s just labeled incorrectly as GB.

Lunastra78 15 January, 2013 @ 10:27 am   149

Ahhh I see.

Have a drawing contest next time, and I’ll win… ;)

MafiaCub 15 January, 2013 @ 10:28 am   150

I assume you mean Mafiacub not Mafiaclub?

Just wanted to check you got the name right and didn’t sent a winners confirmation to a none existent account

If I’m wrong, and someone has a very similar name, congrats to them.

If I’m right. YAY! Thanks!

Eagerly awaiting the PM. I must be kind of good at this. I remember getting PSASBR in early December. It’s a good thing I don’t enter all of them. PSASBR, by the way, was superb. Dante is my character of choice. You have a fave, Fred?

MafiaCub 15 January, 2013 @ 11:10 am   152

excellent!

Do we know when the prizes will be being sent out?

TheNudgeMan 15 January, 2013 @ 11:43 am   153

Wooooooot!

First time i’ve won anything in years, and I have yet to experience Borderlands 2!

Many thanks and Welcome Back!!

Wow, great!
Thank you so much, I’m very greatful :-)
I have checked my PM but nothing was in there at the moment.

Good idea with the post update to make the results more visible. One downside though is that it’s now a lot harder to see the actual winning comments as a matter of interest, I wonder if they could be highlighted at all?

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

Good point. I’m wary of just posting a big wall of text but I’ll try and evolve this a bit over the coming weeks so it makes for an entertaining read.

TINTINTB303 15 January, 2013 @ 1:23 pm   156

Have to agree with Mik on that one.

I wanted to know what the winners said without going through 3 or pages of comments to find them.

Why not highlight them with a quick “WINNER” comment by your kind self Fred like you do/did with the weekend debate comp winners? ;-)

tiago-kun 15 January, 2013 @ 2:33 pm   157

Congratulations to all the winners!

@R3dC3llTran3 I actually already have Borderlands 2 on Steam, so I would just give it to my best friend except for the keyrings, I would keep those :D But thanks, I appreciate the good word.

So is there any specific goodies with the game, or is it just random?
I know there’s one with a treasure chest, map, poster and the likes. I also know there’s one with a loot bag, playing card, usb and the likes. Or is it a suprise?

Fred Dutton 15 January, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

TBH, I’ve got a big box-full of stuff, so I’m not entirely sure. There are canvas loot bags in there, some T-shirts, USB keys – that sort of thing. And the game itself, of course.

MafiaCub 15 January, 2013 @ 2:46 pm   159

maybe the PM could give us more info on the prize when the PM’s are sent out.

No point rubbing it in the face of those who didn’t win :P

pinkplaybunny 15 January, 2013 @ 2:56 pm   160

Oh good much better!

MafiaCub 15 January, 2013 @ 3:52 pm   161

Hey Fred,

sorry to be a pain. When will the PM’s be sent out to arrange delivery? Only asking cause of the name mix-up, didn’t want to be left out and not realise :P

also, in this box of loot you have, do they have the Clap Trap plushies in them? or is it just the clap trap USB?

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 15 January, 2013 @ 11:48 pm   162

I am pleasantly surprised and looking forward to the goodies. Huge thank you. :D

MafiaCub 18 January, 2013 @ 10:54 am   163

I didn’t get any shirts or USB sticks. I was hoping for them when I saw them listed. But I got awesome stuff, so I can’t even be a tiny bit sad.

I got:

Borderlands 2 game
Borderlands 2 Canvas Swag Bag
Borderlands 2 Canvas Baseball cap
Borderlands logo pin badge
Borderlands 2 Keyring
Borderlands 2 multi-function survival kit
and a Borderlands I-phone cover which has a bottle opener on it

This ranks up there with my best prizes I’ve won in video game competitions, right next to my Special Edition Arkham City with signed Japanese variation statue.