Posted 5:00pm

Uncharted 3 multiplayer goes free-to-play this week

After a few months of dropping hints our secret is ready to be made public. We are fortunate to have some of the most devoted and amazing fans in gaming. We want to introduce those fans and the world of UNCHARTED multiplayer to everyone possible. And we want every person who plays our multiplayer game to engage with it how they best see fit. It’s time to go big and grow our community even more.

So, we’re thrilled to announce that tomorrow UNCHARTED 3 multiplayer goes free-to-play!

To date, over 3.5 million people have played in over 37 million matches of UNCHARTED 3 multiplayer. All free-to-play players will become a part of this same player pool of over a half a million passionate players actively playing our game every month. So if you haven’t tried yet, you have no excuse to not be playing one of the most exciting multiplayer experiences on the PS3— it’s free! Join the adventure today!

Once you download the free-to-play game from the PS Store you can hop online and play for as long as you want, as much as you want, up to Level 15. Upon reaching level 15, you’re welcome to continue to play as long as you want without paying a penny. Unlocking the level cap will allow you to continue building up your profile right from where the level 15 cap stops you. If you choose to not unlock the level cap or purchase anything, you’ll be missing out on a slew of cool in-game items and downloadable content we have made for the game to date. Here’s a rundown of what you can unlock:

UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Co-op Adventure Add On
- Unlock Co-Op Adventure mode including the Fort Adventure DLC

UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Co-op Arena Add On
- Unlock to gain access to the Co-Op Arena Playlist including the Co-Op Shade Survival Mode DLC for UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Free to Play.

UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Competitive MP- No Level Limit
- Remove the level cap for UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Free to Play.

UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Competitive MP – Level 25 Limit
- Remove the Level 15 cap and play UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Free to Play up to Level 25

UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer Split Screen Add On
- Unlock Co-Op Adventure mode including the Fort Adventure DLC

UNCHARTED 3: Multiplayer DLC Map Packs
- Unlock all three DLC map packs released for UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception. Includes Flashback Map Pack 1, Flashback Map Pack 2, and Drake’s Deception Map Pack.

UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Single Player Experience
- Uncover the Truth. Unlock the Single Player campaign.

If you’re really enjoying the free-to-play multiplayer and are looking for the full UNCHARTED 3 experience, the best deal is to pick up the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition coming soon to the in-game store.

This digital version of the UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Game of the Year Edition includes all 12 DLC maps, all co-op multiplayer modes, and over 40 character skins. Purchase the digital version and you will essentially be getting the single player game free! Stay tuned for an update on this soon.

If you already own UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception and you are a long time multiplayer participant we’re giving you some very special gifts as a way of saying thank you. Next time you log-in online you’ll see a custom Naughty Dog Paw on your rank icon and you’ll receive the Naughty Dog Paw shirt for your custom characters.

Also, to celebrate the launch of UNCHARTED 3 multiplayer free-to-play we’re getting more colourful. Every character item and every character skin in multiplayer will now have more colour options. These new colour options are completely free.

During the coming months over 40 additional DLC items will be made available. Every DLC drop will have a theme and we’ll be unveiling that content here on PlayStation Blog, over on the Naughty Dog Blog, and on our free-to-play webpage.

Patch 1.17 was released recently. It includes some big changes you can read about over on the Naughty Dog Blog. For instance, we’ve added another tier to our Tournament. It’s the Platinum level and we have some very cool permanent Platinum level prizes for people who achieve this prestigious level.

We can’t wait to welcome all the new players into our community. Happy fortune hunting! See you online!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

55 Comments 19 Author replies
Show oldest first

DeathByNumbers 26 February, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   1

I’m wondering what would happen if I download and play using this version, instead of the disc version (because the disc is giving me problems). Would there be a problem? I’m already way past level 15 and I have all DLC.

Eric? :)

Also is there a new trophy list for this, like Killzone 3 Multiplayer?

Florence Kum 27 February, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

no changes have been made to the Trophies so the list is the same, hope this answers your question.

Hi

Will by any chance PS+ members be presented with free content in the next months ?

I remember that U2 DLC were offered in the PS+ subscription, will you do the same for U3 DLCs ? :D

Thanks

Isn’t it a great year to be PS-Gamer? :)

easy_target77 26 February, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   6

[quote]If I have the online pass (already own the game on disc) will the level caps apply if I download this or will I have the full MP experience?[/quote]

I am wondering the same thing. I haven’t played Uncharted 3 lately because my disc is cracked in the middle and I am afraid to use it and shatter it inside my PS3.

I second Andrefpvs. Is there going to be a new trophy list?

I sold the game ages ago, but wouldn’t mind getting into the multiplayer if it’s the same list.

Thanks!!!

supersmith2500 26 February, 2013 @ 5:30 pm   8

So Uncharted 3 is now FTP permanently or just temporary.
If so, Naughty Dog, you’re just simply one of the best 1st-party companies I ever saw. = )
Thanks.

So then if I play multiplayer once on Uncharted 3. Will I still get the Naughty Dog paw logo as well?

GametimeUK 26 February, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   9

A great move, in my opinion. Everyone saw this coming. Naughty Dog are brilliant.

MASPALOMAZ 26 February, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   10

Thats an amazing free offer! I love free to play because we can really see if we like the game or not before paying anything! That is just amazing stuff and Sony again proofs why they are #1 :)

Will probably be a huge download at around 20GB since the single player campaign is an unlock? Looking forward to it still :)

extermin8or_ 26 February, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   11

Glad to see day one owners like myself will get some love in the form of icons etc- dos this mean even though i’ve only purchased the new map pack I will have access to all the other dlc…? I think it probably should ;) I mean I have owned my SE copy of uncharted 3 since launch and played it extensively, and still use it online from time to time, moreso now some of my mates that didn’t buy the game can play :p

dark_angel69 26 February, 2013 @ 5:48 pm   12

How about some hints on an Uncharted 4? ;) lol

MadMigsRSA 26 February, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   13

Where do we find it?
I don’t see it listed on the PSN Store.

Do I get this right: Uncharted 3 is going to available for purchase on the PS Store? I mean after the FtP week? I would really like to have all 3 games in my digital collection.

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 26 February, 2013 @ 6:16 pm   15

I literally bought Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception last week on disc. It is my favourite game in the series by far, and it’s good to see it go digital.

As a side note: I did purchase the digital version of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves at the beginning of the year, but the Drake’s Fortune and Siege DLC packs do not work. Any chance you could look into this and fix it please?

tom-359-ds 26 February, 2013 @ 6:21 pm   16

So, after spamming our XMB with unwanted stuff now Sony is testing the PAY-TO-WIN model. Usual the final price for a PAY-TO-WIN is twice or triple of a similar retail game. In my opinion such a pricing model is very close to fraud. Sony, you really want to sell a PS4 to me?

fauxtronic 26 February, 2013 @ 6:44 pm   17

I haven’t played this in months. I hit Level 75 and was planning to revert to Level 1 but I was utterly burned out. I might just take another peek if I manage to finish Darksiders II before the next PS+ games arrive.

fauxtronic 26 February, 2013 @ 6:45 pm   18

Incidentally, I noticed when I turned on my PS3 that Uncharted 3 (I have the disc version) was patched overnight.

Say, if I already have Uncharted 3 (and the online pass), can I download this and simply play online as normal?

Carnivius_Prime 26 February, 2013 @ 7:06 pm   20

Yeah I read about this, this morning. It’s something I’ve wanted for ages. The online part of Uncharted 3 right there on my hard drive. Considering it’s the main reason the U3 disc is an almost permanent resident of my Blu Ray disc it’ll finally free up that drive. Hehe.

Oh and thanks for the extra colors. I’m enjoying having a much more brighter bolder Redshirt Drake and finally a proper BLACK cowboy hat (as opposed to mid to dark gray). :D

Thanks ND for continuing to support and improve my most favorite gaming experience of all time. :D

evilwitch83 26 February, 2013 @ 7:10 pm   21

“So if you haven’t tried yet, you have no excuse to not be playing one of the most exciting multiplayer experiences on the PS3— it’s free!”

I have a very good excuse, my internet is too slow.

vonhammer 26 February, 2013 @ 7:18 pm   22

Loved the inFamous 2 beta ( feels so long ago now ) But when the pre launch experience was released I didn’t like the MP anymore. Without having access to both versions I couldn’t work out what felt odd.
I always felt it lost it’s cover shooter roots in MP, and just remember it feeling like headless chickens running,gunning and punching.

But now my brother can F2P it, we’ll no doubt be doing 2 man co-op on crushing like the Uncharted 2 days.

If you already have the GOTY edition on disc, do you get all the above listed dlc free? If not, it’s a bit unfair considering those who now buy the digital copy get all that DLC for no additional price.

Eric Monacelli 27 February, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

You won’t. The digital version and the disc version are different SKUs. The digital version are for those who don’t have the disc yet really.

another_gamer195 26 February, 2013 @ 7:28 pm   24

Great that people can now enjoy DC MP for Free, but as day1 buyer/still owner of this what, apart from a ND paw, some different colours is ‘our’ thanks.. i mean £40, though a year ago, (longer!) should Realy be appreciated ‘as well’.. imo, i just hope other buyers Can use this version as a more convenient way to play MP, but as a buyer for the SP mostly, i do feel a little overlooked.. any bonus SP levels, even items like new guns, though i Would really like to see extra trophies to earn, somehow, am sure it wouldn’t be too difficult, anyway, ptw motives aside, as that isn’t Forced.. i guess it is a generous gesture and should be appreciated as such.
btw. really wish file size woulda been included in post, i can only assume it isn’t as you don’t want to frighten people away, lol.. i can only imagine how much space will be required.

another_gamer195 26 February, 2013 @ 7:31 pm   25

DC ??… meant DD..

MitchZombie 26 February, 2013 @ 10:26 pm   26

Awesome!!
I still havn’t got/played U3 yet huge back log :) Thanks N.D and Sony.

re: 23, d-gal, people who bought earlier had more time to enjoy the game, the rest of us have either been waiting or just weren’t interested. How is unfair on you that we pay later, it makes no difference to you. Games, like everything, depreciate over time, otherwise we’d still be paying $100 for Uncharted 1 today.

jin_kazama56 27 February, 2013 @ 1:45 am   28

sites say this is a 80GB download please say there wrong

Witcher70 27 February, 2013 @ 1:53 am   29

Free-To-Play is a mistake…… I would rather pay the full retail price for an ad free and In-App purchase free game.

Dark-Twisted 27 February, 2013 @ 2:45 am   30

Still cheapening and diluting Uncharted huh?

I got offered the game for free, but platinuming it and 100%ing the game would only net me 53% and ruin my PSN average. So I declined. I loved the first two Uncharted games, and ever since bombing the second and third with cheap useless DLC and ridiculous trophies I think you can keep it, I lost faith.

Shame I’ll miss out on Uncharted 3 single player, even if you cut out bonuses and whatnot because you were so focused on milking MP.

Dark-Twisted 27 February, 2013 @ 2:47 am   31

@vonhammer, the co-op isn’t free apparently. You have to pay for that just as you have to pay to go past level 15.

rYu-doken 27 February, 2013 @ 4:57 am   32

The downloadable version of UNCHARTED 3 is 43.5 GB. U need close to 87 GB of HDD space to download and install it

another_gamer195 27 February, 2013 @ 8:16 am   33

@ rYu-doken
That size. 43.5GB is for the new digital GoTY version.. which as well as including the SP also has most all the dlc made for U3.. the Free MP size isn’t too bad, i think about 11, maybe 12GB, tops.. But, am not sure what vers that’ll be, as last i played it was around 1.15, which adds another 800mb or so, Not as big as i would of imagined but am glad i have disc cos space is a issue for me atm.. also, for what it’s worth, the US are asking $39.99 for GoTY ed, but that doesn’t seem to mean too much thesedays, with the insane currency conversions being done.
Lastly i am looking forwards to update later, as (surprise .. ) they (US) have got a very good sale going on.. GTA-San Andreas, for about 3quid, in our money, plus AC3/other newer titles.

this will be pointless for many of us as most of us own the disc already and season pass i see the US have the goty edition are we likely to be getting a non goty edition to be hones mine is stuck on the shelf most of the time as im not a big fan of keep swapping discs when i bored so would still be un played I WILL NOT BUY THE GOTY EDITION AND I HOPE MANY OTHERS WONT IF THEY OWN THE SEASON PASS

i may buy the multilayer part if cheap enough as already own disc thats not used much

chrisboers 27 February, 2013 @ 9:07 am   36

@above: It’s FREE to play, so it won’t cost you anything for the basic version.
File size of the MP part is 6.9 GB, as listed on the US blog. Of course it’s different if you also buy/download the SP and co-op…

What if I own the game + all dlc
can i download this free to play and play without disk from now on? with my account and dlc

silmorat1 27 February, 2013 @ 9:57 am   38

Nice

kasasensei 27 February, 2013 @ 10:03 am   39

It’s not free to play, it’s a big trial version, just like kz3 MP. False advertising, again.

Huono_peleis 27 February, 2013 @ 1:07 pm   40

It’s not free. It’s 24.95€ on the store now.

We should be able to play it without the disc.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 27 February, 2013 @ 2:35 pm   42

I have a money tree outside it grows me money every day S.O.N.Y make believe.

Just shows how this companie run things in faulty advertisements.

Eversmann22 27 February, 2013 @ 2:41 pm   43

Where is this on PSN? I can’t find it anywhere.

Jacko_the_lad 27 February, 2013 @ 2:46 pm   44

“I got offered the game for free, but platinuming it and 100%ing the game would only net me 53% and ruin my PSN average.”

First world problems, eh?

I think this is a great idea and I think that more developers should consider doing this after the game has been out for a while. It generates more interest in the multiplayer and builds the player base up and makes the multiplayer last longer.

danbottomburp 27 February, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   45

so stupid that it is now downloading all the additional language packs at 750mb roughly each one .

why is this pointless stupid waste of space going to help me . i only need English .
will i be able to delete these additional packs once game finnishes downloading ?

vonhammer 27 February, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   46

@ Dark-Twisted
Yep just found out :(

Dark-Twisted 27 February, 2013 @ 8:01 pm   47

@44

First world problem doesn’t make it not a problem.

I don’t want to support them trying to force DLC down my throat by attacking my trophy list, and I’m very unhappy to see how Sony took such a great franchise and desperately tried to drive it into the ground by diluting and milking it.

re: 27 supvic.

It is unfair because those who bought the physical copy of GOTY edition only got some small dlc whilst if you buy the digital version which is only being released now, you get all dlc mentioned in that post. Tha’ts around £50 worth of DLC for no extra cost there.

Basically, purchase a digital copy and get extra dlc that is not on hard copy. So of course it’s unfair. Users buying same game, but one set of users get more than the other.

another_gamer195 27 February, 2013 @ 9:43 pm   49

@ Dark-Twisted
I found @44′s comment a little funny, am sure it was meant in a fun type of way, but it IS a dodgy thing to say due to it’s inference and being misunderstood… I Hope it was said in jest anyway.
Have to agree with you on this seemingly unending added MP dlc’s, the SP parts of Uncharted are my main reasons for enjoying this series, lol i was also a little upset when my U2 plat/100% dropped to about 73% or so, just isn’t fair, i mean Why must any dlc spoil a allready 100% ed games stat, they could keep it in seperate trophy count, Though i guess people like yourself may make up a good percentage of potential sales, ie only buy a dlc to retain that 100%, basically milking it, as you say.
One thing though, seeing as there now selling SP standalone in store, are any MP trophies going to load with that i wonder.. probably Will. but i hope they don’t as it’s a shame reading you missed U3s SP.

TinOfSpam 28 February, 2013 @ 3:11 am   50

Can someone tell me how much space I need free to download this? Whenever I try and download it says not enough space and on the left says French Language Pack 760mb and I have 5gb free atm.

Load all