Posted 12:00pm

PS Plus exclusive: Download God of War HD for free today!

God of War HD

Calling all PS Plus members. Boy, have we got a little treat to share with you today! To celebrate the launch of God of War: Ascension next month, we have managed to secure God of War 1 HD for our PlayStation Plus members to download and keep for as long as you are a member, at no extra cost!

There is a little catch though – it’s only available for two weeks from today, Wednesday 27th February, so make sure you grab it while you can as once it’s gone, it’s gone.

Like I said, we wanted to give this classic PS2 title away to celebrate the upcoming launch of God of War: Ascension, its immediate prequel. Ascension is a riveting, visceral experience that tells the dark past of our hero Kratos. The story will enthral you with epic, brutal and gloriously over-the-top action, retaining the signature gameplay of this storied franchise in a fully-fledged single-player campaign.

But that’s not all. For the first time, you can now take the larger-than-life God of War combat online with our new solo and team-based multiplayer experience.

God of War: Ascension standard and collector’s editions are available now for pre-order but to get you in the mood make sure you take advantage of this exclusive Plus giveaway from 27th February.

If you are not currently a Plus member, visit our PlayStation Plus site to find out more about the service. Here you’ll learn all you need to know about the Instant Game Collection, which gives members access to at least 14 games at any one time and over 65 games across the course of a 12 month subscription – all for a one-off payment of just £39.99/€49.99.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

139 Comments 18 Author replies
Show oldest first

That is an unbelievable bonus!

I had a sneaking feeling this would be the annoucement, this is a brilliant deal.

Great work EU PS TEAM!

Fantastic! Never actually played this all the way through. Thank you.

Plus is certainly embarrassing *ahem* other console paid services.

Whoa! That a nice surprise! Thanks!

Epic! That’s truly a pleasant surprise! :-)

Nightmare966 27 February, 2013 @ 12:05 pm   6

Welp, I already have the GOW Collection but… By the gods! :P

We’re on 27th February and you guys have made the February AND March months so awesome that I cannot even imagine how will you make April even better.

I seriously mean it. Everyone get this title: It’s easily one of the best games of, not only the PS2 catalogue, but of all times.

Thanks Chris for this one :D

Nice one guyce!

the1free_man 27 February, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   8

Nice. It’s been a while since I’ve played the first GoW. It’ll be fun to revisit it. And I still think it was the best one.

toxic-inferno 27 February, 2013 @ 12:07 pm   9

Never played either of these games, but they’ve been on my radar for several years! PS Plus keeps delivering!!!!

Gamesgbkiller 27 February, 2013 @ 12:09 pm   10

I can download it from my store , right ?

bradigor1981 27 February, 2013 @ 12:11 pm   11

SCEE are on fire with PS+ right now.

I know this is being done as a glorified promotion for Ascension, but long may this sort of promo continue.

Had a good amount of sales of GOW Collection in run up to release of Ascension, now able to give the first one free to all the other folk that didn’t buy!

Why does this happen so often, I buy a game that I’ve waited ages on discounts, it never comes, I cough up and then bam a week or two later is reduced in price.

themonk2012 27 February, 2013 @ 12:12 pm   13

thank you so much! what a great surprise!!

crackalakaling 27 February, 2013 @ 12:12 pm   14

Nice, but already got the 1st hd collection. Any chance for the 2nd hd collection for free or atleast discounted? Now that would be awesome. :)

i found out as u had the whats new section with ps plus and god of war and it had sent me to the game at the time. about 2 days before u annouced it. but not bad.

Wow, that’s awesome and unexpected news. I’ve been wanting to pick the HD collection up for ages. How much is GOW2 HD as I may as well get that too :-) Thanks PS-Plus team.

RagingAvatar 27 February, 2013 @ 12:17 pm   17

Nice – I’ve never gotten into God of War, despite all my friends telling me it’s excellent. I’ll give it a go.

Thanks SCEE! You guys and gals are doing an absolutely awesome job with PlayStation Plus – especially compared to the lacklustre US offers. This is the first game I’ll be playing via PS Vita’s Remote Play option!(-:

DiscworldDeath 27 February, 2013 @ 12:19 pm   19

Why is it tagged as PS Vita content? You got me so excited, and then disappointed.

Still, a very good offer, good job!

dark_angel69 27 February, 2013 @ 12:20 pm   20

That sure is a nice surprise. Hope to see many more like that in the future :P But anyway I already have that game in the collection so no download for me :( Maybe if you can try manage to get one from God of War collection volume 2 ;) lol

It’s tagged as Vita content because you can use the remote play function with this game.

Shame I’ve already completed this plenty of times! Great story!

Keep up the good offers SCEE! :P

Nice, I guess. But I already have all the games, including collections and originals, on disc for PS2/PS3.

Critter2003 27 February, 2013 @ 12:25 pm   23

Awesome surprise! Thanks Sony :)

Carnivius_Prime 27 February, 2013 @ 12:25 pm   24

Great freebie for those who don’t have it yet. I bought both Collections a while ago during a sale. Emailing a friend of mine who I know has Plus, loves God of War but hasn’t got around to buying the HD games yet so this’ll be a nice treat for them

Never played 1 before, I only got because I wanted to try the series before I bought 3.

^^ “I only got 2 because”

Will the blog also be upgrading for next gen.Need that edit button

@DiscworldDeath probably because the games is PSVita remote-play compatible…

downloading the GoW Ascension demo at moment

liamlangan 27 February, 2013 @ 12:35 pm   29

this is fantastic, I’ve already got the platinum for this but I’m definately gonna play through it again :)

Only thing that could make this better is if the US didn’t get it….

I can almost taste their tears :)

Wow Chris this is very nice ! a must for anyone who hasn’t played GOW series.

I imported the GOW Saga a while ago, didn’t realise the USA download codes for Chain of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta don’t work on the UK store. Will the HD of said version be available to download eventually? i would love to play the ENTIRE series thanks.

Nice for those who don’t have it. Would have preferred discounts for all games in the series so I could pick up the ones I don’t have.

Splutterbug 27 February, 2013 @ 12:41 pm   33

Already have this but what a fantastic gesture. Also for those of you with a Vita and a PS3, this supports remote play

Great incentive to try out a game/genre I never gave much thought other than “not my kind of game”; who knows I might even actually like it and eventually end up picking up the rest of the series… ;)
Thank you very much, Sony!

Jacko_the_lad 27 February, 2013 @ 12:42 pm   35

The only God Of War I’ve played is the Ascension beta, so I’ll certainly give this a go to see what all the fuss is about. :)

never played gow 1. But after play gow 3 i wish i played when i had my ps2 :(

NostrobotUK 27 February, 2013 @ 12:46 pm   37

Very nice stuff.

When is Malta going to get a PSN Store? We cannot use PSN Store, buy DLC, get PSN Plus etc.!

That’s a nice special and gift, thanks Chris!
Actually the first HD collection are the only GoWs that I played, so far. I own the other 3 games too but never played them. That happens with such insanely huge backlogs!

Oh when I mention the backlog, I feel the requirement to mention Sound Shapes once again Chris. It currently has its second sale already in NA, don’t let us wait forever here in good old Europe!
I must add Sound Shapes to the list of games that I own and sometime might even play NOW. ;)

Pandarin_86 27 February, 2013 @ 12:48 pm   39

Oh my God (of War)! I love you, Sony… <3 Wish that it was with the second one, but even just one is a brilliant bonus.

Tagged_Deaf 27 February, 2013 @ 12:50 pm   40

Man, you done too much good for us, honestly.

Mass Effect 3 free in few weeks. Now we get God Of War 1 for free today! Already completed it many times long ago but I think I shall download this superb game later!

Great work, PS Store people!

Amazing! Trophy hunting time!!

higwayman1 27 February, 2013 @ 12:53 pm   42

You guys are too generous. Seriously, it does not make business sense to give things away. I’ll have to have a word with Kaz about this.;-)

Will God of War and Tomb Raider be available day one in the store?

Sure hope so.

Hamster8U 27 February, 2013 @ 1:00 pm   44

This is great news :) So glad I decided to buy a 12 month subscription. Thanks guys . Keep up the good work!!

no time ,
zen pinbal 2 star wars dlc
skyrim dawngard dlc ( i see french also today, so them can also be happy )
28/02/13 cod bo2 map pack .
then next = terraria – soul sacrefice ( rest = putting mony asite to buy ps4 )

stargateheaven 27 February, 2013 @ 1:02 pm   46

Well, i’m glad i checked the PS blog today.. hehehe

Not related to God of War, but something that keeps bugging me… Did you guys noticed that share purchase on facebook doesn’t work anymore since the new store layout was launched in Europe? still works from the vita, same thing with rating…

I’ve Never Played God of War so this is good introduction…

thanks and keep up the good work

am i been a bit silly i carnt seem to find it im a ps+ member byt for the life of me i carnt see it in the store

OkkiBaraccus 27 February, 2013 @ 1:12 pm   50

What a nice suprise, thanks!

Load all