Posted 17 April

DUST 514 ‘Uprising’ release brings Skill System upgrade

DUST 514 on PS3

With the help of our players, we at CCP have learned a great deal throughout the last year of DUST 514′s beta period, especially with regard to the system at the core of your character’s advancement and progression: the skill system. Most importantly, we’ve gained an understanding of how you are using the items to advance through the game. This is all thanks to the terrific amount of player feedback we’ve received during the beta period.

As we started work on re-aligning the progression tree for the new Uprising build of DUST 514, set for release on 6th May, we realised that trying to map the new skills, bonuses and requirements to your existing items was not only complicated on the technical side, but also likely unfair to you. You may have committed to a certain play style, and with an overhauled layout and collection of skills, you may find yourself regretting some of your prior choices.

We have thus decided that it is far better to re-spec not only the skills but items as well. In short, you will get your skill points (SP) back and the ISK and AUR (in-game currencies) value of any item that is removed from your inventory. Below are more details on how this works.

Simpler. Deeper. More powerful.
First, we have removed the secondary and tertiary requirement from all skills. This means that while skills may have multiple parent skills in a linear succession, they will not have multiple direct prerequisite skills.

DUST 514 on PS3

We are also introducing a brand new node-based view of the skill tree, and you are able to upgrade a skill multiple levels at a time provided you have the skill points to do so. This is a major improvement from the old list approach. We are retaining the list view in another section of the menu, for the nostalgia and for those that simply like lists (you know who you are).

How will it work?
When the upcoming Uprising build is released on 6th May, your character(s) will be reimbursed all the skill points that they have earned and used to date, for redistribution under the new schema.

Note that this re-spec only applies to your current skills, and items that you have in your inventory. The refund value of ISK and AUR items will be based on the market value at the time of the re-spec.

DUST 514 on PS3

Details on the specifics of what the changes will be covered in a separate dev blog (coming soon) and will contain a list of changes expected, as well as additional info about the revamped tech tree and a full list of in-game items for the Uprising update.

More to come…
Along with the skill tree layout changes, we are constantly balancing items based on your feedback and our own findings from our captures and databases. You will notice that some items have changed attributes, including removal or change in color schemes of certain drop-suits and other items.

In addition to this skill system evolution, the Uprising release will bring many more upgrades, advances and balances. In short, you can expect a lot more new content to play with. We are very excited and proud of the Uprising release and we couldn’t have done it without our dedicated beta testers. With all the improvements and new things coming with our next release, there is no better time than now to join DUST 514 and experience the immersive world of New Eden.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

15 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

OMG. So this means I’ll be able to understand a percentage of the game now? Awesome!

Dante_Zero 17 April, 2013 @ 11:53 pm   2

Now the million dollar question is when will it exit out of beta?

BiGsMoO7ke 18 April, 2013 @ 12:08 am   3

“But, but sir they said we won’t get (Uprising) until next month”
the irony :P

love Dust and looking forward to it. :)

dark_angel69 18 April, 2013 @ 12:12 am   4

Wow been a long time I heard some news about this and most of the things I have once known about are forgotten now. That’s one looong beta. The game is still free isn’t it? I heard someone say Sony doesn’t allow trophies on anything that is free. Will this game get trophy support? I’m going to say no but would be nice if it did.

Rytteren 18 April, 2013 @ 8:10 am   5

#4 this cant be true. theres alot of games on vita, that are free – and has trophys.

im waiting for trophys in dust514 before i start playing

vjmwilliams 18 April, 2013 @ 12:45 pm   6

Anything that makes the skill system a little less complicated gets a thumbs up from me. I’m sure i’ll be dying just as much as i usually do though !!

MaxDiehard 18 April, 2013 @ 12:53 pm   7

@dark_angel69

When it’s out of Beta it will be a Free2Play game, and will have a companion app for the Vita. Most F2P games on PS3 require you to at least make one microtransaction on that game before you can start earning trophies, so that may or may not be the case here.

@Rytteren

It’s sad that you will only play games that offer little shiny icons of no value. The developers have poured countless hours of effort into making a game and giving it to us for free. And you’ll only play it if it has Trophies?

Would you have only played PS1 or PS2 games back in the day if they only had trophies?…No. Playing games is all about the experience and the worlds others have created for you to enjoy. Not base a simple choice of enjoyment on the availability of worthless icons.

Sure they add incentive to explore the game more, but it shouldn’t be the only reason that makes you want to play it.

Rytteren 18 April, 2013 @ 1:04 pm   8

@ MaxDiehard i have a huge backlog off games. some are must play games in my mind (okami HD and so on). now time is not somthing i got alot off. so my gaming time is chosen carefully.

i have a game like guacamelle and dust 514. both looks great, but are not must play games for me (like uncharted, demons souls and valkyria chronicles – VC does not have trophys).
so i have to choose one of the games, to give my time. the trophys are the catalyst for that.

when dust514 gets trophys it will “win” one of my internal battles with some game. until then, it gets shoorthanded. thats just the way it is.

MaxDiehard 18 April, 2013 @ 1:38 pm   9

@Rytteran

I have a massive amount of games too, and i’m also an indie developer. So most of my time goes into making a games with my team. But when I do play games, I don’t play them for Trophies. I play them because they’re fun.

Most of the time I just create for fun on LittleBigPlanet or play Crash Bandicoot 2, because that was the pinnacle of my childhood.

GANTZn00b 18 April, 2013 @ 2:10 pm   10

@ CPP: you need to fix AFK skill and ISK farming , this kills the game

I tried this game twice. I wanted to like it so much. Once in the early beginnings and a second time a month ago. Both times it was frustrating to download, and then download some more.
The whole process in your hub is very confusing to me. I just don’t understand the things I can choose from.
After that I get in a battle arena that looks nothing like the flashy and very appealing pictures you get in the articles about the game on this blog. It all looks drab and uninspiring. I don’t get the story or objective or anything that I’m supposed to do. And for sure I don’t get the feeling I’m part of a huge Eve universe.
In battle I respawn, get shot, respawn, shot, gespawn, shot by a lurker that is just waiting for me to respawn again.
I’m probably too stupid for this game but I deleted it and will never download it again.

TehPhilosopher 18 April, 2013 @ 3:47 pm   12

@11 Dust is definitely more complex than most FPSs, but once you get a hang of it, you’ll have a more engaging FPS experience than any other game – and I’ve played FPSs for close to 20 years.

On your comments on graphics: they are admittedly not that great compared to some AAA titles. But Uprising will also give us new updated graphics, which should look better and with higher fps.

cont’d

TehPhilosopher 18 April, 2013 @ 3:47 pm   13

The story.. That’s where it really gets complicated. Short version: CCP creates a backstory, but players make the world go round. The reason we fight varies, but mostly it is to conquer planets and systems in the EVE universe. So get yourself in a Dust corp (ie. guild/clan) and you’ll be part of something truly big.
Backstory:
Frequently updated news within EVE universe – note that many of these news are directly tied to what players do in-game. This means that the devs go to great lengths to incorporate in-game intrigue into the world canon.
Backstory:

cont’d

TehPhilosopher 18 April, 2013 @ 3:49 pm   14

Finally, on the connection to the wider EVE universe. Uprising will introduce Planetary Conquest which will tie Dust and EVE together. This is in beta, so the connection and interaction will become even stronger in the future: http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/04/an-update-dev-blog-for-planetary-conquest/

Now is an excellent time to get into Dust. You will get a headstart on the masses that will join on official release, and you’ll get to have a say in the development of the game. Many of the big EVE corps and alliances are building up their Dust troops, so it’s also a prime time to join a corp.

Rytteren 18 April, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   15

@11 I Will try One more time. I play games for fun, and for my enjoyment. I dont plat games i dont like. Eternal sonata and valkyria chronicles Are of my favorit games this Gen. Non have trophys. Its not at that area where it is a Thing for me, IF trophys Are there or not. its when i see two games that i know nothing about, where i dont know IF i will find Them fun, and worth my time. Then its a feather in The hat, for The game with trophys. Some look at ads, other from word of mouth. I look at gameplay.. IF hits not persuasiv enough to get my time, trophys helps in its favour.. And I May try, and find it fun. The dev. Has made me try there game. And as an indi, you would know, The key often is to get people to play your game. Trophys help some to find New experiens. They May find New genres to love.