Posted 5:00pm

Weekend Debate: Beating the backlog (update)

The Weekend Debate

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for taking part in another lively discussion. The five winners this week are: turbogeek421, Solid_Snake1987, BarryBallache, MrTangerineMan and ImperatorA3. Congratulations, and look out for a PM in your ID on the official forums.

ORIGINAL POST: So, with the annual title refresh, it’s been a pretty good month to be a PlayStation Plus member. XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Uncharted 3, Demon’s Souls, Rayman: Origins, LittleBigPlanet Karting, Coconut Dodge Revitalised, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning have all joined the service – add must-have retail titles like The Last of Us and Hotline Miami to that list, and there has been a crazy amount of gaming to wade through in the past few weeks.

My question to you this week then: how big is your backlog, and what are your top tips for tackling it?

Pre-breakfast gaming? PS Vita in the bathtub? Let me know your strategies.

The five most entertaining responses will have their backlogs added to! This week the winners get vouchers for two titles. First up, over-the-top action title Thunder Wolves on PS3. Good, clean, old-school arcade fun, this. Check out the trailer below for a closer look.

You’ll also get a code for the colourful, light-hearted Dare to Fly. Check out our post from earlier this week for more information and take a look at the trailer below. Good luck!

Terms & conditions

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

130 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

bennyrafal 28 June, 2013 @ 5:02 pm   1

Sadly, my backlog has somekind of GOD mode for over a year, but i keep fighting, maybe its not so brave fight, but constant for sure.

turbogeek421 28 June, 2013 @ 5:05 pm   2

A combination of an OpenOffice spreadsheet of games and my blog: http://turbogeek421.tumblr.com/post/52944320008/gaming-backlog-update-14-6-13

A monthly update of what I’ve played and what I think! Playstation Plus keeps me MORE than busy!

BarryBallache 28 June, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   3

I got a PS3 about 3 weeks ago. Soon realised the 12GB flash drive was of zero use and went for a 1tb one instead and PS plus. I now have a backlog of about 20 games to last me until I can get a PS4! lol

Having been a 360 fan for YEARS, I’ve been stunned by how good the PS3 and its games (especially exclusives) are. The only thing I miss is party chat, but I’m surviving. Now all I have to do is struggle onwards in a sea of bliss until November, but don’t fret, I’ll survive. Did you think I’d crumble, did you think I’d lay down and die?

Oh, no, not I-I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to love I know I’ll stay alive
I’ve got all my life to live and I’ve got all my love to give
And I’ll survive, I will survive, hey, hey

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart
Kept tryin’ hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart
And I spent, oh, so many nights just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry, but now I hold my head up high!

Shadowmancer88 28 June, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   4

The best way is to simply play through the backlog is to play on easy mode, also doing a long run is good too (you need time and supplies). Avoid multiplayer and only play on each map/game mode once. if you don’t have the time or patience go to you tube and either read a screenshot LP or watch a video LP (Let’s play).

SumbodySumOne 28 June, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   5

My backlog is really big, I have an app on my phone that u add your games to and u can say if the game is finished or not which helps keep track of what I still need to play…but I think the only way I will ever get through it all is if I could stop time, maybe I can borrow someone’s time machine type thing? Anyone?

That’s a mean topic. It hurts too much whenever I’m reminded of my backlog. :(

The problem isn’t so huge on the consoles alone. I probably have 30-40 PS3 games waiting for my attention and maybe 8-10 on the Vita. But among those are really awesome titles as Red Dead Redemption, which I own for years now. What a shame!

On Nintendo platforms it are probably as many games. Though less on the Wii U and more on the 3DS.

But by far the worst: My PC backlog. Steam alone has at least 150 games uncovered yet. GOG around 80, though I played half of them years ago. Combined with other stores and what I own on disc, I’d guess that the PC has around 250 titles waiting.

Tactics to tackle it? Purchase less, even if the price is oh so tempting. And play what I really have the mood for. That’s the only benefit of an huge backlog.
After achieving Platinum on Hitman I really wanted a JRPG and finally started Tales of Graces F.

A game + the right mood = endless joy

sabien29 28 June, 2013 @ 5:18 pm   7

My backlog of games is massive because i have only started getting into hard-core gaming. Titles I have yet to play are Uncharted 1,2 and 3, Tomb raider, Mass effect 1, 2 (and three if it is out),Infamous. That is to name a few.

My tactic for getting through this backlog in the easiest way possible is to rank them in order of difficultly and work my way up to the big games. Also lock my younger brother in his room (it is his playstation) so that i get more time on the games that i am working on. I know i’m a horrible sister but you have to do what you have to do.

Oh, an interesting site to organize your backlog is http://www.backloggery.com/

I gave up when I was expected to summarize all those hundred of games though. What is actually good about my gaming habits is that I usually finish a game one when I started it. So I don’t really need any help to “organize” my progress.

Mishimotsu 28 June, 2013 @ 5:25 pm   9

Some say that dreams are kind of like video games, also that gaming makes controlling your (lucid) dreams much easier, and lastly they say that external sounds affect your dreams, so with all that in mind I’ve been teaching myself to game in my sleep!

Stuff Oculus Rift, stuff Kinect and Move, stuff IllumiRoom – if you wan’t immersive gaming that’s how you do it!

Note: Take above answer with a pinch of salt and a dash of humour ;)

Playstation Plus has definitely not helped my gaming backlog in the slightest. As a little bit of a trophy hoarder, I don’t like to call a game truly finished until I hear the *Ding* and see the platinum, however, with so many games to go, that’s becoming less and less feasible.
Still to play I’ve got Catherine, MGS3 and Bioshock 2 yet to be started. Add the fact I also plan on picking up the original Bioshock and MGS4, aswell as the obvious GTAV by the time the PS4 comes out and it becomes increasingly unlikely that I’ll ever get through the backlog.
My real backlog comes from the games I’m yet to finish though, currently started but incomplete I’ve got Kingdoms of Amalur, ME3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Uncharted Golden Abyss, AC3, AC liberation, Okami HD, XCOM, SoTC, Hitman Absolution, God of War HD, Sleeping Dogs, WipeOut 2048 and Borderlands 2. That’s only the large retail titles, ignoring all the PSN games I haven’t even looked at yet.
I think the only way I can even get close to getting through is with an absolute gaming marathon. Energy drinks and snack food in abundance, and hours and hours of free time I sadly do not have.

irish-sid 28 June, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   11

I found my backlog to be nothing more that a mental block. I thought a game would take a couple of weeks to beat and that I’d never have time to finish them all…
So I decided to get started. I started with Infamous2, great game, beat it it 3 sittings! I thought, huh, this is going to be easier than I thought. Next was the new Tomb Raider, 2 nights and I got through it. Motorstorm, 4 nights. Hitman, 4 nights.

Then I just The Last of Us, took my time with it and hooked on the multiplayer now, so my backlog has taken a hit, but when I get what I want from the multiplayer I’ll be straight back to ploughing through my games (most of which from ps+) and hopefully be done and dusted for the Ps4!

My tip, just play one, and if you don’t know where to start then put the names in a hat, and just before you pick one out you’ll know in your head which one you want it to be, so play that one first!

tired-hippo 28 June, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   12

My tip would become a traophy addict…eventually you’ll stare at the game you haven’t touched and think….’thar be trophies’.

Having said that I have about a dozen disc games to be completed and god know how many PS+ ones XD

matdub69 28 June, 2013 @ 5:36 pm   13

Ever since the advent of PlayStation plus on vita and the psn web store I have been able to add PS3 games to my download list despite not having a PS3. When I get one (birthday in July) I will have quite a few games to work through.This free list of games is how I sold the PS3 to my wife: “I wont have to buy any games for a long while baby”
The way i see it a backlog is better than the alternative.

Benylin 28 June, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   14

I will NEVER finish my backlog. It’s going to follow me to the grave. Everytime I get even remotely close to chipping away at it, it starts growing in size. Now that I have PS+ it’s even worse, because I’m getting five free games thrown at me every month. At least it means I’ll always have games to play. That doesn’t stop my ever expanding backlog looking intimidating.

With that, I’m off to get The Last of Us finished before July’s PS+ titles drop, because I get the feeling Battlefield 3 is going to be a timesink.

ImperatorA3 28 June, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   15

I think these two images sum it up.

I try to keep track of my backlog with the backloggery (http://www.backloggery.com/imperatora3), but it gets bigger every month, because of PS+.

Osahi_be 28 June, 2013 @ 5:42 pm   16

Metro, Okami HD, Dishonored (has been waiting for months), Fire Emblem, Battlefield 3 (Instant game collection), Hotline Miami, Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Borderlands 2 DLC packs (all 5 of ‘m) and Last of Us second play trough (which I’m doing now) are the main culprits now.

If I want to see the end of them all I think I’ll have to break my leg or something, so I’ll have to cancel my trip to Portugal and am bedridden for the remainder of the summer.

Or I’ll should start doing what I’m saying for years: don’t buy games when you don’t have the time for playing them, or when you’re busy with another one. But I just can’t (and Instant Game Collection is a DISASTER from that point of view).

So in the end, I kinda came to terms with the reality I can’t finish them all. Some of them I’ll play for a short burst to see what they’re like, others I’ll finish in a rush. And that’s ok. A long backlog means I’ll never not know what to play, and I know every game on that list, and every one that’ll be added in the future, shall find his space in my agenda one day. Sometimes it’ll just ‘click’ and it’s Dishonored time…

jehuty_2174 28 June, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   17

Dealing with my Backlog is hard. It would be easy if all my PS3 Games were Vita remote play compatible. So what I do is keep all those remote play games for times when i have nothing to play on the Vita.
What I do is to focus on the games one by one and leave out uneccessary stuff, such as detours and mindless killing(GTA). I also have times when i am just not available for a weekend(obviously gaming). But main Time is some in summer since mostly they are no major releases. In that case I m lucky i am not a plus member or else this summer I wouldnt be able to get to my backlog.

hayzink 28 June, 2013 @ 5:45 pm   18

I have given up on my backlog to be honest as i just don’t have the time to play my games.

I find that the games i do play are games i have bought like zen pinball, call of Juarez and tony hawks hd.

I honestly hardly ever play my plus stuff but i will never stop subscribing anyway as there is a few games i love there.
I’m not going to even talk about the vita, i have still not even played more than an hour of uncharted and i bought it at launch, gravity rush is less than an hour played.

Solid_Snake1987 28 June, 2013 @ 5:48 pm   19

My backlog is growing and there’s nearly no way to stop it. What was a simple stack of games to get through is now an entire bookcase (and that doesn’t include the Plus games and numerous other digital titles I’ve got waiting on my PS3). Soon it’ll probably take over a room and I’ll look like one of those “hoarders” you see on those documentaries.

As for tackling it there’s a few things I try:

1) Set some time aside for dedicated gaming. The hours I work are a little annoying (I work weekends a lot), but still finding the odd hour here and there can help get through some games.

2) Find a game you like and stick to it. If a game is good then you’re going to persevere with it regardless. If you find you haven’t played a game for ages chances are it wasn’t that great and it can be lost to the “backlog”.

3) Stop buying games. I did this last year and caught up quite well, but now all the games I wanted last year are cheap I’ve been snapping them up and creating yet another backlog. I am quite weak willed when all is said and done.

If all else fails and I take these unplayed games to the grave then at least I could put them to some use as a nice looking coffin I suppose…

My backlog is huge. It mainly consists of PS1 games on my Vita but I also have PS3 & PS2 games to complete. To tackle these titles I’ve tried gaming whilst watching TV (on the Vita), watching films, on the bog, when I wake up, during breaks and when I should be studying.

Despite these efforts, my backlog still remains undefeated, it may be reduced, but the titles I need to finish stay. I just can’t help myself from buying bargains whn I see them! To finish game that require a TV I just alternate from TV to game every few hours and stay up later than usual to beat these games.
I can’t believe it’s become a chore – it’s hilarious!

k1ll1ng5pr33-NL 28 June, 2013 @ 5:55 pm   21

Just start the game and play it. Don’t try to obtain any trophies or whatever, just play the game and ‘finish’ it. Once you’ve completed the campaign, move on to the next game.

However, it’s entirely possible that you’ll enjoy the game so much, that you’ll play it some more, only to notice that your backlog has increased with a few more games. Sigh. (That’s a good sigh I suppose.)

I have a rather large backlog, probably 50 games because my dad who works in a newspaper used to get all the lastest releases. My advice is to plan and stick to your schedule, it’s so easy just to tell yourself oh don’t feel like it today and then go play cod or bf3 or any other multiplayer game. Try to focus on one game at a time, don’t try and complete 5 games at once! Also take the games easy, there’s no need to aim for the plat trophy in every game! So tone down the difficulty and spend less time looking for collectibles!

RossyWilson 28 June, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   23

The only way im going to get through my backlog is if I win the lottery and get to play games for a living or if I never buy another game for the next three or four years :(

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 28 June, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   24

Sorry, I’d post a detailed answer but I’m *trying* to reduce my backlog.
For me it’s games, games, games! But my backlog makes that hobby a chore.
Thanks for reading, but I’m going back to my backlog – there just aren’t enough hours in the day!
I think my town will be stamped with “MISSING” posters in a couple of days.

Saintsfanuk 28 June, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   25

My backlog has exploded as of late thanks to playstation plus. Just on my shelf I have about 10 games in their wrapping still, including Dark Souls which I’ve still not had the chance to experience. The problem is too many awesome games to experience and not having enough time to play.

Having a vita with playstation plus has also added to the backlog, but that is much easier to control as I can often be found playing it during my lunch break at work or on the loo. :) I’ve ended up playing it more than my PS3 due to not often being at home, it comes everywhere with me.

I’ve found the best way to tackle it is to make a list of what I have to play, and try and split them up so I may do a short shooter, then a long rpg.

Being a trophy hunter doesn’t help matters either I have to work out which ones I’m going to get the platinum for aswell!

ChazzH69 28 June, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   26

I have about 74 games in my backlog, I have only played them for a few minutes each otherwise the wife would moan because they’re still sealed. Thats just on the PS3. I’ve had to make a spreadsheet on Google Docs so I can check it before I buy games, to stop buying the same game twice.

I’ve even gone so far as to buy a collectors edition of a game, and then buy a special edition so I can get a proper case/steelbook (Arkham City, The Last of Us).

I feel better telling people about this. I admit it’s an addiction.

SalarymanDaishi 28 June, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   27

Another owner of a backlog of the humongous kind, growing roughly by one game for every other played and completed. Not sure if it counts as a pro tip but I plan to hang on to each and every one of them until pension time, then having the time of my life in some retirement home. As an added bonus, grandchildren can go away without feeling guilty, unless they’re up for some ancient co-op, in which case they’ll be the most adorable offspring ever.

DANJOEL 28 June, 2013 @ 6:17 pm   28

I like to think of my plus backlog in the form of one of the latest titles offered, Shadow of the collosus…

“Thy first foe is… One deep in space, awoken to deathly horror, cut off the limbs”

And before even finishing dead space 2 (yes that far back)

“Thy next foe is… A western tale of bandits and bears, skin your hunt”

And before i’ve rode my first horse!

“Thy next foe is… A tournament, to keep two realms apart, he must win, finish him”

The list of foes goes on and on!

Finkhald 28 June, 2013 @ 6:22 pm   29

My backlog is somewhat of the joke. There’s the PS+ title I never even bothered to download ’cause I had others to take care of. There are games bought while playing another one from the series, and thinking to myself “Hey, how about that ? I’m enjoying the other one, let’s take this.” And then I don’t even finish the first one. There’s the ones where I get sidetracked, pure and simple, like Bioshock Infinite who came in the mail right before I had to move. Found it back again a month later.
In total, hundreds of games.

My solution to this horror ? Days off, and sheer willpower. When Uncharted 3 was announced for the IGC, I played Uncharted 2. Start to finish. In one day. And then in the evening, I finally finished Hell Yeah.
I’ve got my next day off in a week. Two games will die.

loonyspoony 28 June, 2013 @ 6:28 pm   30

Backlogs just tend o sneak up on you, you buy the odd game here and there, sign up to PS+ and suddenly you’re staring at 40 games plus downloads. Sleeping Dogs and Kingdom of Amalur haven’t helped they’ve added 50hrs of used gameplay time which hasn’t been pointed toward me finishing Skyrim, RDR, Borderlands1 & 2.
The problem is you can easily sink 100hrs plus into any of these games still me more to do.
My solution will be to read reviews and where they slate a game for woefully short gameplay that’s not worth the money, they’ll be going on my shopping list.
Oh for a 9hr single player campaign (Battlefield 3 at around 5hrs what a genius idea).
Short simple games, come back we love you!

chrisboers 28 June, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   31

Wow… this is going to be embarrassing… I just checked, and I have currently 250 games registered on my name, and a whopping 39 games without a SINGLE trophy won. Another 12 with only one trophy. So that’s over fifty games I never got anywhere with.

My best tip for this pile of shame: Ignore it! Just play the game you want, and fully enjoy it, without hastening yourself to rush to the next one, just because it’s on your list. Especially with PS Plus, there really is no winning the everlasting growing of the pile.

As a newrear’s resolution, I decided this year to only play one game a month, and enjoy it to the fullest during that month, before moving on to the next. While I haven’t been able to keep that resolution entirely, I still try to live by that rule, and I find I enjoy my games much more!

For those that really want to have some encouragement on at least getting one trophy for each game they own, there is an excellent OPC Forum thread for that: the Zero Persent club! Visit them here: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Trophy-Hoarders/The-0-Club/td-p/18840638

wallsofrock 28 June, 2013 @ 6:31 pm   32

Backlog is huge, over 100 full games on hard drive & at least 40 + discs
Purchasing games either 2nd hand or at a cheap price has made this list so long, worried when PS4 comes out PS3 games will drop so much and there is still a huge amount of games I want to play

TINTINTB303 28 June, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   33

I don’t refer to it as my backlog anymore. It’s now called my “Pile of Shame”…

Sadly I know that there is NO WAY I will ever get on top of said “Pile”, but I’ll have a good try never the less and most importantly I’ll have a load of fun in the process! :-D

silmorat1 28 June, 2013 @ 6:59 pm   34

I cry a lot!……..doesn’t help that I keep buying more games the latest being Hotline Miami! Sometimes i stack the games I have yet to play with, sometimes i join them up to make some sort of duvet (at least they can keep me warm). You games makers have just got to stop…….only kidding keep em comin!

dogwalker4000 28 June, 2013 @ 7:00 pm   35

Once made a table for the games that I needed to play/buy…it didn’t work and still have a giant backlog (thanks PS+). Gotta do my Survivor+ run on The Last Of Us and then wanna finally get started on XCOM. Also need to finish up Hitman, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO. Wanna play some more Battlefield BC2 as well as get round to playing Enslaved and Resistance 2 and 3 (played and loved Resistance FoM at launch…never got round to the rest of the trilogy)

I haven’t even mentioned my Vita list…

solarwind12 28 June, 2013 @ 7:10 pm   36

Uncharted3, bought launch day (2/11/11). played 1hr-30min.. Uncharted2, (bought launch day). played 17 single-player playthroughs, !. go figure.
AC Revelations, (bought launch-day), 1hr-ish played. AC2/Brotherhood. multiple playthroughs..
GoW- A, (bought launch-day) chptr5, village kiri, about 90 minutes in, GoW’s 1through5, Multiple playthroughs.
Kingdoms of Amular, (bought launch day), 100hours in, Still to finish First story mission.
Uncharted GA (vita) bought launch-day), about 2hrs30mins in.
WipeoutHD, present c/o vodaphone, (vita), 10minutes played.
Infamous2, c/o IGC, chptr5,1st Infamous multiple playthroughs.
Far-Cry3, bought 13/6/13, (19.99). stuck on ‘escape’ 3 times, quit out. 0 minutes played. (YET)
TLoU, plus TWO ‘pre-order’ bonus’s, (bought tuesday), unopened.
Plus’s IGC’s, generally left in download list.
Quality trumps quantity, though ‘quantity’ disrupts Quality. imo.
oh RE6, (bought lauch day), played 111hours in Leon/Mercanies, other ‘stories’, Shame.

Serpantino 28 June, 2013 @ 7:20 pm   37

oh man… my backlog. I get depressed when I think about it. I’ve over 100 titles from gog.com alone that I have yet to play and god knows how many are on steam from sales and indie bundles. When you factor in my Vita, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 as well… the results become the stuff of insanity.

My tip is just to relax and consider yourself a ‘Collector of games’ then just try a few that you think might interest you at that current point in time. If you find one that you get really stuck into then that’s one well worth carrying on with and if you get bored with it before you finish it, just go onto another. There’s no point in trying to cross a game off a list, then it becomes a chore.

I love the (no doubt intentional) irony of the prize for discussing your backlog being another TWO games!

Like most my backlog is largely due to the interminable force that is PS Plus but I also have some discs awaiting my attention, including a copy of GoldenEye acquired not long after release and has still remains sealed!

My tactics? Oh I dunno, try to find time of an evening and definitely don’t enter competitions which could end up landing you with even more games to play…..er, oh wait! :-/

link1983 28 June, 2013 @ 7:27 pm   39

Having had plus since day 1 and owning over 200 PSN titles I can say I have played many games but not finished as many as I would have liked to. The truth is I have to take every minute I can get with the backlog and thankfully the games drought is with us. :D I have sleeping dogs, Saints Row 3, Ninja Gaiden, X-Com and many more that I forget. All in all I should be riding into the PS4 era on a wave of pure gaming. :D

polynski 28 June, 2013 @ 7:32 pm   40

im concerntrating more on creating a backlog so that when i get bored and theres no games i like on ps4(knack and transistor for instance) i can boot up my ps3 and play through the games that i missed out on during the ps3 era this week im adding killzone 1 2 and 3 to the list next week metal gear 2 3 and peace walker are joining the collection then the week after that im adding fallout 3 game of the year oblivion game of the year and resistance 3 to my collection…and ive given up on platinums after reaching my 22nd…,when ps4 comes ill have elder scrolls online assassins creed black flag…the order, infamous, killzone shadowfall and loads other games so i wont be bored any time soon during the 1st year of launch….so the backlog im creating will be waiting atleast a good 6 months oh the 2 big game of the year 2014 contenders for me have to be elder scrolls online or infamous

Jon_Bright 28 June, 2013 @ 7:34 pm   41

I’ve got a backlog of around 190, but I’ve been making some steady progress with it. Most of that is due to Steam’s ridiculous sales, but my PS+ subscription isn’t helping either! Totally worth the money though.

toxic-inferno 28 June, 2013 @ 7:42 pm   42

My backlog of games is so large that it can be seen from space!! I’m serious; there’s real danger that passing aliens will mistake its vast and growing size for a lifeform, renewing their interest in our humble planet, causing them to inquisitively investigate. That’s right; my backlog is so large that it could seriously increase the likelihood – and possibly single-handedly cause – first contact!

On a serious note though, doing a quick calculation tells me that – thanks to the fantastic PS Plus and the high quality of this year’s new titles, my backlog is growing about ten times faster than I am able to play games. There are games that are over ten years old that I haven’t yet touched. But whenever I try to clear out my backlog, I realise that there aren’t any games I could possibly sacrifice!

So here’s your warning; they’re coming. The creatures from another planet are coming to investigate the giant obelisk that is; my backlog.

sabi8600 28 June, 2013 @ 7:51 pm   43

My backlog isn’t really that big at the moment. Only about 20-30 games, has been much larger. What I did was using… Well.. almost all time I had, it was a lot of hard work indeed. But with the Plus-service continuing and GTA V, PS4, GT6, Watch Dogs and a lot more, then I have to do some serious gaming or I will grow a large backlog again.

solarwind12 28 June, 2013 @ 8:00 pm   44

Fred, the latest firware give us the option of switching off trophy ‘pings’, as a ex-obssessed trophy ‘seeker’, i wish it would of given us the option to Totally turn off every trophy earning aspect, with said choice reflected on our profile-cards. though maybe with level your on remaining, IF you chose to do this, Why, ?.. ok, a example, AC2, a brilliant game, except, in middle of mission A/B/C etc, instead of purely focusing on THE Game, it’s action/combat and navigation elements, people, like myself, are being ‘distracted’ by looking for, seeing and going after the collectible, in AC2s case feathers, 100 of them, similar distractions in Black-ops too, like, oh, never mind the flying bullets/grenades, i Must just check That shed out, in case of hidden intel.. How insane is that/those examples ?.. True we ‘Could’ simply choose to ignore them.. But many people either don’t or (sadly) can’t.. Allthough when (ocassionly) a dev puts good thought into their trophy requirements, it actually enhances a (usually) allready great game/experience. Probobly a ‘debate’ for another time, But i really wish all devs put trophy requirements higher on the Important list.

doomsday619 28 June, 2013 @ 8:05 pm   45

I have a large collection of PS3 games 250+ i have completed alot of them but only way of completing my backlog would be to sell the kids but my wife probably wont agree lol.

AmorousBadger1 28 June, 2013 @ 8:11 pm   46

Simple. Play a game till you don’t enjoy it, then get rid.

Under this system I’ve cleared Hitman Absolution, Borderlands and LOTR:WITN in about an hour each and am on my 5th play through of Xcom.

Alestes 28 June, 2013 @ 8:24 pm   47

I have a stupid large backlog and not really good at going thru them. Even now in the late days of this console generation with relatively few releases I want to play, I still have a bunch of unplayed PS3, 360 and Wii games. Not to mention the unplayed PC games thanks to Steam sales. And then I bought Tomb Raider Trilogy for the PS3 yesterday too.

So yeah, no helpful tips for tackling it from me. Well, I guess the best tips would be to be a kid again, with little money to only rarely new games and lots of spare time to play. While now I earn my own money and can buy any game as I please, and little spare time to play.

There are a few games I take a few days off to play though. For example, with Ni no Kuni I had the weekend and 3 vacation days to play the game non-stop. Kinda silly, but that didn’t really help with the backlog either since it was a new game.

hayzink 28 June, 2013 @ 8:25 pm   48

Ok so my wife look at my answer for this week and said if i don’t start playing games she does not want a ps4 in the house as i spend too much money so i came up with an idea i posted on the forums my ipad won’t let me copy the link for some reason but i can copy the text so sorry about this I’m about to copy paste.

If you want to join in come to the forum and find the thread playstation plus platinum challenge.

Ok this weeks weekend debate on the blog has inspired me to clear my backlog with a bit of friendly competition with the playstation community.

I propose the plus platinum challenge.

Simple idea each month members of the community see who can gain the most progress on each of the titles given away with plus, if you platinum one of the games or 100% psn games that are free with plus post on this thread and ill add your name as first on the list for each of the free games( vita included) and at the end of the month we can see how well people have done awith the free games and who is the platinum champion, who knows this may inspire people to beat back the backlog.

Ive just made it to 1500 items on my download list, and have 150 ps3 games on the ps3. The vita is good for clearing some psp and psone backlog. I keep a seperate album on ps3 for games I have had a while but not finished and really want to. It may not be very effective as I have only just finished Infamous. I need to clear 15gb of space before I can try Infamous 2. Another tip is to encourage your wife to go on nights out, and pay for it if necessary.

Nazar_Ops 28 June, 2013 @ 8:40 pm   50

I usually try to get Platinum on every game before I go on and buy a new game. That way I can at least feel that I’ve completed that game 100% and I can calmly go on and buy a new game. Because if I don’t Platinum my games, I wont buy a new game until I beat my backlog.

Load all