Posted 2:00pm

PlayStation Vita Pets release date and new gameplay details

Find out what to expect from the family-friendly adventure, out this June

Hey everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this, we’re really excited to be back today with some updates on PS Vita Pets we’ve been waiting to share for some time now!

The first being that we are finally able to announce the release date – PlayStation Vita Pets will be available for purchase exclusivity on PS Vita from 4th June and you’ll be able to pick it up on cart or download directly from PlayStation Store! Just in time for the summer holidays J

And here’s the box art to go with it!

13537556214_a0afbd145d_o

So, what have we been doing since the announcement then? Well, it’s been a challenging project. It may seem like a simple game on the surface but there are actually many layers of depth to it. We’ve spoken a little about this before, about our goals to marry a pet game with an adventure game and a large part of that was always the characters – specifically, our talking puppies.

e4c68e0045121b18324731441501004d-20130726-0002 2014-01-28-131725

You see, they are your pet, your partner and hopefully your friend on this journey so we wanted to make sure that they were able to convey their thoughts, feelings and needs to you. This lead us to create a huge script of dialogue for each of the dogs. In total we have around 10,000 lines of spoken dialogue in the game. It’s no small feat, but we felt it was essential to ensure that every day with your pet felt new. It allows us to ensure that there is a great deal of depth to their personalities which will unlock as you become better friends and discover more of the game’s mysteries together. Hopefully by the end you’ll be best friends forever!

Lab-Fireman-001_Transparent

We also wanted to take a little time to tell you more about the game’s adventure aspects. When you’re not at home pampering your pooch, playing games together and training up their skills, you’ll be out in the forest uncovering a long lost legend of a king and his dog.

By training your dog’s nose to sniff out buried treasure you’ll be able to dig up clues and artefacts that will open up new areas of the world, each containing more hidden goodies, new challenges and puzzles to solve. You’ll visit dark caves, abandoned mines, an ancient maze and eventually you’ll be able to make your way to the centre of Castlewood Island, where the king’s greatest treasures are hidden…

2014-01-23-175914

None of this is possible without your pet pal though. Through nurturing, training and playing together, your dog will gain the skills you both need to be able to progress deeper into the world. Crawling, pulling, digging, jumping and more will all come into play if you want to be able to uncover all the secrets of Castlewood Island.

We don’t want to go into too much detail now though; we’ll back soon with more updates in the coming weeks.

Thanks for reading.

2014-01-23-175617

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

43 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Lucifonz 2 April, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   1

PS Vita PETS but only features dogs :( What about cats? DLC?

supersmith2500 2 April, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   2

I see it’s getting a retail release. : )

fmykdisbad 2 April, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   3

Now we only need a breast fed game and the vita audience is happy :D

WHY NOT MORE PS3 SALES ????

ShadowDoGGG 2 April, 2014 @ 2:10 pm   4

Doesn’t have the same charm as Nintendogs though. Been a lot of Nintendo ‘homage’ games from Sony lately.

LordBeloved 2 April, 2014 @ 2:12 pm   5

This will pretty much be the final nail in PS Vita’s coffin.

Mistmood 2 April, 2014 @ 2:14 pm   6

Ok. Contemporary tamagotchi. :)

salvogdaze 2 April, 2014 @ 2:20 pm   7

Aren’t we done with the Vita is dead cliche already? Vita is alive and kicking, I feel sorry for the crowd who say they don’t have games to play on the Vita. Wonder if they touched Terraria, Fez, SteamWorld Dig, Luftrausers, TxK, OlliOlli, FFX in the last two months…

Vashetti 2 April, 2014 @ 2:26 pm   8

Should have cats.

mellan_Konsten 2 April, 2014 @ 2:29 pm   9

is the exploration just static screens or do you have control over the camera?

Hrimgrimnir 2 April, 2014 @ 2:29 pm   10

Are Rottweilers or Dobermans available?

BluSpykz 2 April, 2014 @ 2:31 pm   11

I don’t *mean* to be pedantic, but I have 14 pets – none of them are dogs!

2 cats, 3 tarantulas, a bearded dragon, a rabbit, a water dragon, and 6 frogs. Will we see any of these? Or any other animal?

That aside, I’ll more than likely be picking this up for my daughter who will love it.

aeNdras 2 April, 2014 @ 2:31 pm   12

I will purchase this. I’ve heard you put something Crash Bandicoot-related into it, is that true?

BluSpykz 2 April, 2014 @ 2:32 pm   13

@Salvogdaze

You’ve hit the nail on the head. The Vita has so much more than people realise – though I’d love to see some more big hitting AAA *exclusives* soon.

Yes, because the one thing the great Vita was missing was a flipping Nintendogs clone :-( (yes that’s sarcasm by the way)
As salvogdaze so eloquently puts it, there are plenty of games on Vita without having to drop to Nintendo’s level of Fisher Price software…

mellan_Konsten 2 April, 2014 @ 2:33 pm   15

@salvogdaze I second that :)

I don´t understand the “it should have cats”, isn’t the point of the game to learn the pet things not jingle with keys in front of it and call it a day? ;)

Elvick_ 2 April, 2014 @ 2:34 pm   16

I’ll be importing it from Europe then. SCEA better not do digital only for Invizimals too. Getting sick of their nonsense.

SCEE, keep doing your thing.

Wish the game was called PlayStation Pups though. Since there are obviously only dogs.

Nazar_Ops 2 April, 2014 @ 2:35 pm   17

I’m actually pleased to see that this game will also come in physical form. So it’s kinda more convincing to buy the game. But only dogs? Why is there no cats? The game is called Playstation Pets after all.

mellan_Konsten 2 April, 2014 @ 2:36 pm   18

@BluSpykz how many of your “pets” can catch a frisbee or find landmines? :P

BAZ1307 2 April, 2014 @ 2:39 pm   19

Can’t wait for this! Loved Nintendogs on the NDS. :D
I won’t be able to get my paws off my Vita for a long time. :P

Chaoprower 2 April, 2014 @ 2:47 pm   20

It’s been so many months since this game was mentioned I was getting worried it had been cancelled. Good to see it’s still coming.

NeodeosX 2 April, 2014 @ 2:53 pm   21

You know what ? I’m 25 and this game got my attention. Why ? Because sometimes I need games other than shooting, driving, etc and I think it’s actually really positive for a console to get games like this. I love dogs, I lost mine one year ago and I simply can’t afford an other one. So, yes, the idea of having a game which combines the traditionnal pet game with adventure features pleases me a lot.
To people who feel let down by the Vita, you have the right to express your anger, but there is no need to insult the developers making this game so please let people enjoy family games such as PS Vita Pets; you can see there is some heart being invested in its creation, and that’s what matters the most ;)

Sincerely, a core-gamer.

BluSpykz 2 April, 2014 @ 2:54 pm   22

@Mellan.

Luckily I don’t believe I have any landmines near me, but one of my T’s could catch his food mid-air.

MonkehNL 2 April, 2014 @ 2:57 pm   23

@Salvogdaze Couldn’t agree more. I have anything but a shortage of games on my Vita.

More ontopic, I have no interest in this whatsoever, but I guess it’s nice for those who are interested to have a release-date.

mellan_Konsten 2 April, 2014 @ 2:58 pm   24

@BluSpykz :)

Are the “10,000 lines of spoken dialogue” going to be localized and spoken in every language or are we jest getting international subtitles which would mean my daughters – who cannot read yet – won’t be able to enjoy the game at all?

RadialStrand 2 April, 2014 @ 3:11 pm   26

Looking forward to this game!

StarGazeeren 2 April, 2014 @ 3:25 pm   27

Does it have Welsh Corgis?

I couldn’t play it because it’s to CUTE :D I WANT 1! ! ! ;)

Awww so cute :) will it have west highland terriers in ?

Psicojacorral 2 April, 2014 @ 4:40 pm   30

Great, and now the price will be….please don’t be too expensive

Kevin Oxland 2 April, 2014 @ 5:36 pm   31

Hi all. Here’s a quick update to answer some of your questions.

I can confirm there are no Tarantulas or Bearded Dragons in the game :) With the exciting concoction of features we managed to squeeze into the Vita, we could only include dogs. The fidelity of the dogs, the quality in the animation, the adventure and all the dialogue, which we translated and recorded in many different languages, require a lot of resources and time to get right and the team worked hard to bring you a quality experience :)

If you want to hear more about the game in the coming weeks then come back here, but you can also follow us on Facebook…

We really hope you enjoy the game.

“dialogue, which we translated and recorded in many different languages” – cool!

Finka_Karfein 2 April, 2014 @ 6:01 pm   33

No cats, no purrchase.

I’m really looking forward to this game. :) I love these quirky genres! But I am sad to see there is no Cats! :C Please do it at least as DLC!

DoYouLikeMyID 2 April, 2014 @ 6:48 pm   35

It actually looks kind of interesting. I’ll definitely look at some gameplay videos after release to see if it’s something for me!

@Finka_Karfein: Well played…

MorfiTM 3 April, 2014 @ 10:15 am   36

@Kevin Oxland I’ve played the demo at GamesCom 2013, and the release date was supposed to be December 2013/January 2014. What was added in the due time to the game? What made the release date slip by so many months? From what I’ve learned then the languages for the biggest markets were ready and the game had already 6-8 dogs completely animated. I hope that we won’t hear day after release of the game about DLC for it in a form of free costumes and accessories and paid new “pets” which will golive a week after the game will be on the market

Idamagaron 3 April, 2014 @ 11:25 am   37

Hmph. I don’t understand why the game is called PlayStation Vita Pets, when it only includes one type of animal. Dogs. While there’s nothing wrong with Dogs, I’m actually fairly certain Dogs are not the only animal of choice people keep as a pet.

So, why not call it PlayStation Vita Dogs? The title is somewhat misleading. It gives the impression there can be a variety of animals one could have as a pet. But, no. Just Dogs.

Unless you’ll be adding them in future updates/DLC?

Icarus_dgt 3 April, 2014 @ 11:47 am   38

Those dogs on the cover look like “I’m going to kill everyone you hold dear”.

matdub69 3 April, 2014 @ 5:27 pm   39

I love cats and dogs but if the game included cats what would the cats actually do. You can’t train them they pretty much come and go as they please. The oppurtunity to have lion, cheetah, tiger etc as a pet might be enjoyable though.
I admit i am intrigued if the price is right and if the Australian price doesn’t reflect exchange rates in the eighties I might buy it. It is for my daughters of course so i hope there are at least four save slots, three for my three young girls and another one for dad.

matdub69 3 April, 2014 @ 5:27 pm   40

NightRanma 4 April, 2014 @ 2:36 am   41

“Playstation Vita PETS”

PETS but your only options are dogs. That’s a nice big **** you to people who prefer cats. Even freaking Nintendogs (which actually specifies DOGS in the title) lets you have cats.

Honza222_VITA 4 April, 2014 @ 10:06 am   42

hm i like catz =(

uberxtechnic 4 April, 2014 @ 2:41 pm   43

This remains a possible purchase, and whilst I like what’s been shown so far I have to say the title still annoys me.

In agreement with what many others have said, using the term “pets” to imply a variety of animals, but then only including one species, does mislead the audience with their assumption of what will be available from the beginning.

It’s disappointing that there’s still no word on whether more animals will be made as future content. In regards to that, changing that one word in the title would have made clear what the game actually contains, and made more sense based on what’s been revealed so far.