Posted 5:03pm

inFAMOUS Second Son update launches tomorrow with new Photo Mode

Exclusive video details new features for the PS4 action epic

Well, I have some good news for you! We’ve made great progress on the Second Son patch I promised you a couple weeks back. In fact as you read this, the patch is actually winding its way through the final approvals and publishing steps and we expect to publish it on PSN tomorrow, 17th April.

Now first, let me update you on the specifics I promised, and then toss in a few extra goodies that we managed to squeeze in when nobody was looking. First – addressing one of the top two requests we’ve gotten – you’ll be able to disable the HUD, and once you’ve finished the game you’ll be able to adjust the time of day as you like.

We also promised, and have included, an option to cap the game frame rate at 30fps if you prefer playing this way. To set expectations for you all: this is a frame rate cap – not a lock. It won’t eliminate the rare instance of a dropped frame during gameplay.

But that’s all stuff you expected. Let’s talk about a few surprises, saving the best for last:

• A handful of localisation text changes, and a couple of fixes for rare crashes in the game (thanks to all of you who uploaded reports on those, they were extremely helpful!)
  • If your controller runs out of batteries in the middle of gameplay, your game will pause. Our art director pulled a hamstring scrambling to get his second controller mid-boss-battle, so we needed to fix this.
  • If you are choosing expert difficulty, we let you know within the options dialogue if you’re qualified for the “Unstoppable” trophy the moment you opt in.
  • Photo Mode

Wait, what’s that last one? Well, we were totally amazed at the quality of the screenshots you all shared. Amazed. So we thought we’d try to help you all out. With this patch, you can enable photo mode within the options. Once you do that, clicking L3 will pause the game, and allow you to use a suite of our internal tools (like setting depth of field) to take even more amazing shots.

To hold you over until the patch goes live tomorrow, here’s a brief video tutorial showing how the Photo Mode works!

Final full disclosures and fine print: these options and settings, including frame rate, will reset to defaults each time you restart the game. We chose to not disturb our game save file format with this patch in order get these features to you as quickly as we could. Additionally Photo Mode will only work in situations where the camera is freely movable by players. In scripted sequences/cutscenes you can still take screenshots of course, just not with the Photo Mode tools.

We hope you enjoy the new tools and the Photo Mode and we can’t wait to see what you come up with! Enjoy and talk again soon.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

33 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Pemberton_ 16 April, 2014 @ 5:12 pm   1

Photo mode looks incredible.

DavoTheDiv 16 April, 2014 @ 5:16 pm   2

Wow. Thanks guys. Great game, and great support. You should run some kind of photo of the day/week/month competition on your web site. I’d be really interested in what the more “artistic” gamers can come up with.

mitchbel1996 16 April, 2014 @ 5:20 pm   3

Great feature! Just one question: you guys said in the video that you can’t use Photo Mode in cases you can’t control the camera, like cutscenes (which I understand), but can you use it while doing a Karma bomb? That’d be sick!

Gartleon 16 April, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

I am guessing you can as you still have control of the fire one for sure if you move the right analogue stick you will see. :)

that auto pause when your controller battery is low is very handy, same for the expert mode, welcomed features.

jfontyman 16 April, 2014 @ 5:28 pm   5

“Our art director pulled a hamstring scrambling to get his second controller mid-boss-battle, so we needed to fix this.”

LOL I know the feeling. All we need now is the PS4 patch so that we can export screenshots properly so that it can do this photo mode when exporting justice.

Egg_Maestro 16 April, 2014 @ 5:30 pm   6

Wow, I knew they were going to let you hide the HUD, but the photo mode looks brilliant!

Sucker Punch definitely doing a good job supporting their game with these updates, as well as Paper Trail.

I’d love to see Photo mode be a standard feature in all future PS4 games to be honest. Great feature.

You guys have gone above and beyond what I expected. Thanks a lot for this, very much appreciated. :)

Absolutely fantastic news. Great job, SuckerPunch! Great job, Sony! This photo editor is great idea.
I finished my CE just yesterday and it’s really a fantastic game.

GazzaGSi 16 April, 2014 @ 6:45 pm   10

That is brilliant! Looks like I’ll be kissing goodbye to more time messing around with Share pics :D

jester13 16 April, 2014 @ 6:52 pm   11

@Brian Fleming

Any chance of New Game Plus+ with all powers and more expansion with the concrete power? Or the possibility in rebooting all the enemies after the credits? As someone who does everything before the final battle, there is nothing to do after the game has been beat… :) Either way, I was very pleased!!!!!!

Vashetti 16 April, 2014 @ 7:06 pm

Yes concrete needs expanding severely, as it stands, it feels half-finished. Very disappointing. You can’t even use the abilities the other concrete enemies have.

Voodoo341 16 April, 2014 @ 7:06 pm   12

Sold my copy on Ebay. Nothing here that makes me regret it.

Good for you. Let us all know when that glass of yours becomes half full won’t you?

residentSteve 17 April, 2014 @ 5:18 am

I couldn’t agree more, I to found infamous ss dull and repetitive much like killzone sf hopefully my ps4 will start getting some use when watchdogs is released.

Voodoo341 17 April, 2014 @ 5:43 am

Entirely agree mate. Everything about second son was average. PS4 games have been disappointing but the fans like frodtoll will drool at any old rubbish.

frodouk 17 April, 2014 @ 8:57 am

One mans rubbish is another mans treasure. Just because YOU don’t like something doesn’t mean we all don’t like it. Wake up.

solarwind12 16 April, 2014 @ 7:50 pm   13

Can the cut scenes be skipped?, was going to get it but was told there forced and frequent, plus that non control walk that lots of games seem to do, i think thats a secret Japanese way to try and get us westerners to be more patient, prob wrong as usual.. not very nice when it happens a lot, but not gamebreaking either, will be picking it up soon.

R1ck8r00ke 16 April, 2014 @ 8:26 pm   14

Wow! The photo editor looks incredible! Thanks for this Sucker Punch, can’t wait to play around with this. Now I’m just working my way through Paper Trail and waiting for the new DLC Expansion pack …

Finka_Karfein 16 April, 2014 @ 8:29 pm   15

Controller swap game pause – finally!

Photo mode – looks awesome. Yet another reason to come back besides Paper Trail. Thanks!

nulenvoid 16 April, 2014 @ 9:14 pm   16

Are you making the official soundtrack free for EU like has been done for the US Brian?

Also thank you for the patch, photo mode should be good to play with.

Great support for a great game. Now can you patch me so I can get the energy and time to play it :-)

Karim17 17 April, 2014 @ 6:26 am   18

Was hoping for some extra missions as I really enjoyed the game. Regardless well done sucker punch, appreciate the the support of the game

HyperionGuardian 17 April, 2014 @ 10:30 am   19

The game was dull, to me it was a rushed job just to get it out for a ps4 exclusive game on the market, – small world – Easy gameplay – dull side missions – got the platinum trophy sold it ebay………..next

TomHD593 17 April, 2014 @ 3:17 pm   20

Is the update out yet because I haven’t got it?

Rankine28 17 April, 2014 @ 6:30 pm   21

Any news on when this update will go live?

Cosmic2408 17 April, 2014 @ 6:37 pm   22

You better fix CE-32920-6 error !!!!
I can’t use bonuses from my collector edition dlc because of this !!!
Fix it or return my money !!!!

R1ck8r00ke 17 April, 2014 @ 7:31 pm   23

Anyone know what time this update is going live in the UK?

AM4ever 17 April, 2014 @ 8:23 pm   24

Come on what about 3D stereoscopic ??!

R1ck8r00ke 17 April, 2014 @ 8:56 pm   25

Patch has now gone live in the UK!

canaanhess 17 April, 2014 @ 10:30 pm   26

Awesome feature guys! Hey, question. Is there any way that there will be a future update that has a first-person view? I think it would look even cooler!