Posted

This week at PlayStation

Minecraft on Blu-ray, new DLC for The Last of Us, our Easter sale continues, more!

Hello everybody. It’s been a busy week here at PlayStation, with our Easter Sale in full swing and plenty of great deals to catch. We also had news of Minecraft receiving a Blu-ray release, the Sly Cooper Trilogy and The Walking Dead Season 2 both coming to Vita, some exciting new games coming from JAPAN Studio, and the launch of the epic Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PlayStation 4.

See all the highlights of the week below. As always, let us know in the comments what you’ve been playing this weekend!

Top 5 most read PlayStation Blog posts this week:

1. PlayStation Store Easter Sale
  2. The Last of Us: Grounded Bundle DLC detailed in full
  3. Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition gets a Blu-ray release next month
  4. New to PlayStation Store: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, FIFA World Cup Brazil, Dead Nation Vita, more!
  5. How to upgrade Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS3 to PS4

Top 3 most viewed videos on our YouTube

Top three most RTed @PlayStationEU Tweets this week

Most ‘liked’ image on Instagram

47 Comments
13 Author replies

Hey Fred, we got some news on the 1.70 update for the PS4 this week.

Can we get a rough idea when it will be out now — sometime in the upcoming week? There’s a PSN Maintenance on Monday…

Thanks!

1.1

We’ll confirm a release date very soon – sorry to keep you waiting!

Happy Easter!!

Most likely not the right article to ask but here we go anyway…
Is there any chance that the walking dead season 1 is on sale soon? The vita version is but not the PS3 version… Also I’d really appreciate a sale on The Sly Trilogy too. 20 € is a biiit too much for the games that I already own.
Also when will we find out what PS+ games we will get next month?
Cheers!

jorispelgrom 20 April, 2014 @ 09:57
3.1

You know that the Sly Trilogy is cross-buy with the PS Vita version (digital version only)?
PS+ games will be announced one week before they go live – the comment was made somewhere on another ‘week at PlayStation’ post, I belive.

3.2

Umm… The Sly Trilogy is not cross-buy. Also the vita version costs as much as the PS3 version (which is 25 € not 20) so I don’t know how that makes a difference. If you meant that TWD is a cross-buy title, I’ll have to check that but I’m pretty sure it’s not.
Also the PS+ games will be announced probably next week then? I’m just dying to find out… Even though there’s a huge backlog anyway for me

Sly trilogy is cross-buy for digital purchase, not sure about physical.

Show more replies

This week on PS4: 2 games on sale for merely two times higher the price than retail.

Also on Playstation this week, missing content which shouldve been available weeks ago, refusing to give customers the discount a developer would like to give, overpriced games which get called a Sale, still missing any feedback at all about PS+ after months of several hundreds of questions. Well done SCEE.

How about for once listening to the community and actually changing the yearly psvita content, since…you know…It’s been over a year?!

Hi Fred,

Looking forward to the new games coming from Japan studio – it’s always good to see more localisations of great titles, especially for Vita. Speaking of which:

1. It’s great to see Tales of Hearts R coming over for Vita – is there any news of a potential release date yet, or when we can see some previews?
2. Have you any news on the extent of the English subtitling for the Asia / Taiwan region version of Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment yet, and whether it includes English dialogue choices, items and menus or is it just cutscene subtitles?

SGTSTEELFACE 20 April, 2014 @ 18:47
7.1

Im thrilled about the Tales game coming over for us Vita owners I think they jumped the gun as the video has been taken down so maybe it was supposed to be a E3 announcement so I think we may have to wait a bit

7.2

Alas, no news on a Tales release date today, and I’ve not heard anything about Sword Art Online – I’m sure Namco will make an announcement if/when there is some news to share.

Hexahedronaut 20 April, 2014 @ 12:48

April 24th 12pm pacific Is when NaughtyDog will be showing of the grounded DLC via twitch. It’s not surprising they flat out lied to us Europeans. Say what you want about Microsoft. But at least they treat they’re European customers with some damn respect. I love the ps4 I really do but this whole attitude lately is making me really regret my purchase it’s come to the point where I’m decided if I should trade it in :/

About the third time I’ve asked this with no reply, the US was gifted the official inFamous Second Son soundtrack as a thank you for the games success, any word on EU getting the same treatment?

Also thanks for the Easter sale, got a couple of titles I normally wouldn’t have. Very wise not to have mentioned the PS4 ‘deals’ though, bit of a shocker to see the actual prices after Chris’s build up.

And finally a request, please strive for greater parity with the US, they are making EU look like a digital dinosaur. It’s actually very noticeable.

elevated_canine 21 April, 2014 @ 23:42
9.1

Log in with a US account and D/L it that way. Worked for me.

Hey Fred, Happy Easter, hope you enjoyed your holiday.
OK, i got to say i am a bit worried about a Lot of missing content from peoples, inc my own downloaded list, can you find out what is happening, personally i am missing unlock key to Limbo, Tomb Raider Underworld and i am sure a few others, my own purchased dlc is in my plus downloads, Catwoman for Batman as well, there is Defo a ongoing problem with both the download lists and the store on All consoles, this has to be improved as it is both frustrating and in cases misleading, hope you can start wheels rolling on solutions?.. btw, i remember informing cust services about Catwoman dlc problem, during a separate inquiry last year, my Wipeout HD had been removed, one i got for joining plus i think, but that is another game i see people are reporting as gone, the support guy said he’d look into it(catwoman) but never did i guess, thanks.

10.1

Sorry to hear you’ve had problems here. I’ll make sure your concerns are heard by the relevant team.

New firmware release end of april
7 million ps4 sold

Still no 3d playback possible, even if disc has 2d option also
Because sony dont want to

Google videoservice selling sony videos in europe
Still no videounlimited from sony self in the majority of eu

JediKnight246 20 April, 2014 @ 14:18
11.1

3D Blu-ray can be added later. The PS3 didn’t have it until it was added in a firmware update.

Farhad_Khan_ 20 April, 2014 @ 14:18

Hey Fred is it possible that Ni No Kuni will be entering the playstation plus service soon or is it safe to buy during this sale? Thanks!

12.1

I think in the Easter sale blog, it was said there’s no plans for Ni No Kuni in the IGC atm, might be worth checking though.

SGTSTEELFACE 20 April, 2014 @ 18:50
12.2

Generally i stress generally Chris has informed of us a game that is in Ps Plus for that month if it is also in a sale. Id say you are probably pretty safe its seems like they are scared of giving us RPGS let alone JRPGS.

Hey Fred, great week I have to say. Any idea when were’ll get the PS Plus update for May? Want to buy some stuff in the sale but I’m left waiting for the Plus update.

13.1

They pretty much confirmed that all content update will now be on the first Weds of the month (provided US has already had theirs) and announcement will be Thurs or Friday the week before. No more early content or early announcement as it upsets the US customers too much (spoils the surprise).

13.2

We’re hoping to confirm the games for May in the next day or two.

13.3

13.1 — is this a confirmed reason? Or just a(n educated) guess?

Show more replies

Fred have a look at the US 99c sale, up to 95% discounts, Steam type pricing with customers willing to throw money at games just in case one day they want to play them. Now that’s how to do a sale, why can’t EU
look at a 99p/99c sale like that.

I’m taking my chance to get my bf’s long-wanted and ever-postponed PlayStation Ni No Kuni for a £5. 80-100 hours of a visually tasty game are going to be mind-blowing!

supersmith2500 21 April, 2014 @ 00:08

Is there an ACTUAL release date for the PSVita version of Borderlands 2? GAME’s website still says TBC-2014 and the blog doesn’t show the actual date. When in May?

16.1

It’s the end of May, I want to say 29th but don’t quote me on that. It was announced in a US blog post by Gearbox back in February.

16.2

We’ll be able to confirm an EU release date soon – stay tuned.

jimbob12345678 21 April, 2014 @ 15:07

Hey Fred FINALLY, I’m making a post on the new blog!

Anyway couple of questions for you, I know you love them ;)

1. I havent checked today but some of us with the digital version of the sly trilogy had issues getting the first game through cross buy. The PS3 version no longer shows as purchased and therefore the Vita version doesn’t wanna play ball :( I saw that Dead Nation (which had the same issue with the DLC) is working now so I was wondering when the Sly issue will follow suite? (Unless it already has!)

2. PS1 Classic Magic Carpet working on Vita, it’s gonna happen right, right… PLEEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEE! ;) I asked if there was any chance of this a while ago as the US version does (God I’m so sick of that phrase these days haha) but never got back online to check on an update from you!

Show full comment

Hey Fred FINALLY, I’m making a post on the new blog!

Anyway couple of questions for you, I know you love them ;)

3. Finally one that gets asked all the time. Any news on the 64gb vita card heading our way? The vita is the first and only console I’d like to go full digital on but it’s still young, and already filling up. Its only since I got this thing and started using content manager that I realised how pathetic my laptop’s storage capacity is! :P

Cheers in advance :D

17.1

1. I’m investigating this issue now and will do my best to get you an update soon
2+3. Alas, I’ve nothing to share on these today – but your interest is noted!

Finally we see the take-off of the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PlayStation4! According to the reviews the graphics will be the closest one can get to the PC version. 1080p resolution with higher frame rates shall improve the look and feel, at least I hope so

dark_angel69 22 April, 2014 @ 10:50

Hey Fred can you check out my comment here in this post. Comment number 3.

19.1

Unfortunately I can’t help you with your problem, but the good people at Customer Support can: http://uk.playstation.com/support/

dark_angel69 22 April, 2014 @ 13:21
19.2

Hey Fred, have you ever tried clicking on the blog (anywhere at all. The outside (grey are best)) and drag it out? Is the blog meant to be doing that? Start with the right hand side of the screen, click your mouse and hold it then drag the mouse to the far right and the whole chat goes away. To get it back in place either refresh or do it from the left. It’s funny. What’s even funnier is how the right can go out but the left won’t unless the right has been moved first.

19.3

Hmmm… I can’t seem to replicate that on Firefox or IE. What browser are you using?

Show more replies

Why is it so difficult to give an answer to the inFamous soundtrack query? Yes, no , maybe, don’t know, we’re working on it, etc. Why? I’m really confused as to why that would be hard?

20.1

Sorry to keep you waiting, I don’t always have the answer to every question right at my finger tips. Alas, in this case, I can confirm this offer will not be available in the SCEE region.

20.2

Thank you! I don’t expect you to have the answer at your finger tips, had been the third time asking, I’m a patient person. Not the answer I’d like to hear, but certainly appreciate the answer regardless, cheers.

20.3

Seems a bit odd that additional content related to a Sony made game is only available in a single region. Don’t suppose you can share the reason as to why this isn’t being made available to Europeans?

From the last “This week at Playstation” – I hope you can reply this time Fred
“@Fred, Chris, the Rest of the Blog Team and SCEE
I’ve made a question on the Easter sale post that I consider valid (and it’s not related with ps+ or IGC) and it got no answer, maybe because it was the 150th comment and post support is limited to 100 comments or something. Then I made my question again on the FFXIV and not response again (maybe because it was off-topic, quite acceptable). So I’m making the question again, on a generalist post from Fred, and it will be around the 20th, so I expect that this time the Fred will at least see the comment.
From Easter sale, 150th comment:
“@Fred and @Chris
Great sale! I only have two questions.
1) Will you be adding any more games to the sale? I personally would like to see a sale of Valhalla Knights 3 (below 10€) and a sale of all the addons for Reckoning.

Show full comment

From the last “This week at Playstation” – I hope you can reply this time Fred
“@Fred, Chris, the Rest of the Blog Team and SCEE
From Easter sale, 150th comment:
“@Fred and @Chris
Great sale! I only have two questions.
2) any chance you add the option for buying games that I already “own” as part of my ps+? that way if I ever decided not to subscribe the service again, thee games I really like are bought.

and a little off-topic, Sony needs to do permanent cuts on the memory cards prices, prices absurd and it’s making us opt between buying a game or buying a card…
Once again, nice sale (although the ps4 users are right, not enough sales for that system)”

From FFXIV, 22th comment:
“@Fred and @Chris
I know this is off topic, but since you’re no longer supporting the proper post and you’re ignoring the query on twitter I’ll try my luck here.
About the Easter Sale
1) Any chance we get Valhalla Knights 3 and Reckoning DLC joining the sale (VK3 below 10€)?
2) Any chance ps+ get the opportunity to buy games that they “own” as part of their IGC. For instance, I’ve got Reckoning from IGC, but I would like to buy it at this discount price. How can I do it?

@the blog team in general
please support the posts for longer than three days. Some people don’t have a life that allows them to come here every single day and every single hour.

Cheers!

@SCEE We really need cheaper memory cards, my 8GB is packed full and the price is still absurdly overpriced, considering that by the same price of 16GB card I can get: 500GB external hard drive, 64GB pen drive, 64GB class 10 sd car. Check in to this because if people have biggger memory cards they will buy more games, but if people feel robbed by the price of the memory cards they won’t buy the cards or the games ;)””

21.1

Hey there. We’ve no plans at present to add such a Plus feature but I’ll certainly pass your suggestion on. As for the two games you’ve requested discounts on – again, no plans at present, but they could certainly happen in the future.

21.2

Ok Fred. Thanks for the reply.

loop_the_luke 22 April, 2014 @ 16:54

Hey fred was just wondering was that maintenance yesterday related to the 1.70 firmware update?

22.1

No, I don’t think it was related. We’ll have more 1.7 news for you soon – not too long to wait now.

22.2

On the subject of maintenance, was it really necessary to take the PSN offline for pretty much the whole day on a bank holiday?

I’m not going to pretend to know how the PSN works but one would have assumed that with all the regional differences, different stores, different teams etc that they’d also be on different servers. The maintenance always seems to take place on our peak times and when the Americans are at work and the Japanese are asleep. Couldn’t each region do its own maintenance so it never happens during a peak time and certainly not all day on a bank holiday?

If this isn’t possible then how about rotating the maintenance cycle so that we all take turns to have outages during our peak time?

PanasonicRock 23 April, 2014 @ 04:07

Hi Fred,

Please can you give us all some good news today regarding update 1.70. Just any shred of information you have? Are we now talking about days or still weeks?

Also on a different subject, sorry for asking here, but if you read this comment, I have still not had my prize for the December blog comments competition you ran. The one where we had to give our thoughts on the PS4 after it was released. There were five winners, of which I was one. I have never heard a thing since you announced the winners, no emails, no contact at all. Contacted customer support who said they would look into it, but heard nothing either.

I’m very disappointed that you can run a competition but not hand out the prizes, I do wonder if the other four winners got there’s?

I look forward to a reply.

23.1

have you checked your messages on the forums?

23.3

Yes, as bigmat suggested, have you tried logging on to the official forums and checking your PMs there? That’s where we send prize information. Let me know if you have trouble and I can ask the team to re-send.

And anything on update 1.7? It’s now the new Driveclub. Fireworks and fanfare one week, radio silence thereafter. Getting a little tired by constant references to “very soon”…and that’s only for a date for when we expect an announcement rather than the actual product.

dark_angel69 23 April, 2014 @ 23:52

Hey Fred I just had an idea there now. When we look at comments that have plenty of replies, it’s hard to tell if there is a new reply. Would be nice if there could be a small number somewhere in the comment to say how many unread replies there is. That way we will know how many comments are recently new without having to check the time they where sent and keeping count on every comment posted (by ourselves whether its a reply to someone or a normal comment of our own). Might even help make your reading easier too without going through all the same messages that have already been read.

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history