Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End now launches on 27th April 10th May 2016

Naughty Dog needs a few more weeks to deliver the “largest” Uncharted ever

“Update: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End has an updated release date of 10th May, 2016. Read more here.”

Let’s start with the good news: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is wrapping up production and is shaping up to be the proper send off for Nathan Drake that we’ve promised you. The bad news is that we need a bit more time to finish the game so that it meets our standards and vision. Let’s cut to the chase, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End has a new release date in the PAL region of 27th April 10th May, 2016 (29th April 10th May in the UK).

This is our largest Uncharted, and the team has been working incredibly hard to meet the challenge of closing out the game’s development in a timely manner. However, as we started to approach our final deadlines and started wrapping up the game’s levels, we realised that several key sequences needed extra resources to bring them to the finish line.

After carefully considering all of our options, we decided to extend our schedule, making sure that we get a few more polish passes before submitting our gold master (the final disc for manufacturing).

Pushing the date is not an easy choice, and we wouldn’t do it if we didn’t feel in our hearts it’s the best course of action for the game. To you, our loyal fans, we hope you’ll accept our sincere apology. We know many of you have been waiting patiently for Nathan Drake’s final chapter, and now we humbly ask you to wait a bit longer.

On 27th April 10th May, 2016 (29th April 10th May for UK) the most ambitious installment in the Uncharted series will be in your hands.

Neil Druckmann & Bruce Straley

Did you enjoy this?

80 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
turbogeek421 23 December, 2015 @ 3:04 pm   1

Better delayed than released and buggy! (You listening Ubisoft??)

Shame, but it’s small delay and I rather take a polished game, then a rushed game.

Happy holidays.

I can wait this extra days!

April is for Dark Souls 3, sorry Uncharted!

the_ghostmen 23 December, 2015 @ 3:17 pm

you know dark souls don’t sell that much.

Dark Souls has sold 2,828,000 units worldwide
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (“with Artorias of the Abyss”) has sold 2,765,000 units worldwide
    Dark Souls 2 has sold 2,311,000 units worldwide
    Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin has sold 600,000 units worldwide
    That’s a total of 8,504,000 sold

the uncharted series sold 21 million not counting in the ps4 collection and golden abyss.

spacedelete2 23 December, 2015 @ 3:27 pm

the_ghostmen are you stupid? How is 8.5 million not much? If anything Dark Souls is more profitable as it doesn’t waste money on advertising whereas Uncharted is expensive to develop and market.

or you know…you can play all of it 😀

blcforever 23 December, 2015 @ 5:41 pm

@spacedelete2 I think he means 8.5 mill not that much compared to uncharted 21 million which logically is true but 2 million sales per game for dark souls being that it’s not everyone type of game isn’t a bad amount sales at all..

Carnivius_Prime 23 December, 2015 @ 6:31 pm

PS4 is for Uncharted 4! 🙂

Coody-Baroody 25 December, 2015 @ 2:55 pm

Come on guys, i think its pretty obvious he’s not talking about sales figures.
    He means from HIS point of view, he can maybe only afford 1 new game in late April and he’s obviously a “Soul man” so he’ll be getting DSIII and not Uncharted 4.

Or he could just mean his gaming time will be spent with DSIII n Uncharted will have to wait.

Ive seen this comment a few times and my thinking is that when the 10/10 masterpiece UC4 reviews drop the week before its release, all these Souls fans will soon come running.

Coody-Baroody 25 December, 2015 @ 3:06 pm

At least now i have a bit more time to try and finish Uncharted 3 DLC on PS3. You just KNOW Naughty Dog will do the same thing again with UC4s Trophies.

Also, the main thing i take from this is how much Naughty Dogs creative success really does owe quite a bit to Sony. We do hear as much, not least from Druckmann and Straley themselves, that Sony have always been trusting, supportive and hands off with their 1st party teams and that breeds creative success whereas pushy and demanding publishers only end up with lower standard products.

Sony know they know what theyre doing n leave them to it, delays n all n its thanks to THAT strategy we were given such masterpieces like TLOU etc.

So, hats off to Sony, credit where its due.

averynaughtyboy 23 December, 2015 @ 3:07 pm   6

I’m pleased that you’re not going to release it until it’s ready

LordRastan 23 December, 2015 @ 3:08 pm   7

The most important thing is the game to be ready. It’s very dissappointing to buy a game and wait for months to have all the bugs and performance issues solved.
For me, your decision is ok, shame you missed my birthday… Now I need another reason to lure my wife into buying me your game…

ChopChopGames 23 December, 2015 @ 3:11 pm   8

It’ll be hard to wait for a little longer, but at least we all know that Naughty Dog’s doing a proper job with the game. I’m sure it’s going to be the best there will ever be, so I can wait.

ChopChopGames 23 December, 2015 @ 3:13 pm

My birthday’s on April 18th, so I’ll think about the game as a slightly late present from you guys.

So North America get it on the Tuesday 26St and the UK has till wait until Friday.

oO_Gero_Oo 23 December, 2015 @ 3:19 pm   10

Take your time, we can wait. I want it to be amazing and im sure it will be.

the_ghostmen 23 December, 2015 @ 3:19 pm   11

the last of us was delayed to summer we all know how that ended up being 1 of the best games.

also now the game will be released a week after my bithday so no excuse for me to not buy it.

LeChuckie 23 December, 2015 @ 3:19 pm   12

Pre-order cancelled.

Bovrillor 23 December, 2015 @ 3:26 pm

Why on earth would you pre-order anyway? It’s not like there’s game shortages these days. You’re just encouraging developers to release unfinished stuff.

Can I interest you in some magic beans?

iamdark1988 23 December, 2015 @ 3:33 pm

Bovrillor – If LeChuckie doesn’t take you up on that offer. I’ll willingly put £5.00 as a deposit for the magic beans. However if you plant those seeds for me and grow them into saplings, I’ll pay you £35.00 on top of the deposit. But what I’m really interested in, and this is the downloadable content er… down-low conversation, I’ll pay £55.00 PLUS VAT if you can guarantee I’ll get my pot of gold over a twelve month period.

eusivecom 23 December, 2015 @ 3:23 pm   13

Why does North America get it on Tuesday 26St and the UK has till wait until Friday?

Why does the UK cars drive on the other side of the road?

Somethings don’t have explenations.

eusivecom 24 December, 2015 @ 2:24 pm

Try using Google dude, there is always a reasonable answer.
    In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.

you know anything about driving cars these days ? 🙂 … horse power mate not animals

dark_angel69 23 December, 2015 @ 3:24 pm   14

It’s a shame to see it delayed again but at the same time it may just help me get a few games out of the way so I can put 100% focus into enjoying this at release.

Is there anything you can do to try improve the UK release to the 27th or make all of us get on the 26th instead same time as the US? I don’t like the slightly longer wait especially for this game. Spoilers can surely go round very quickly. For a game that has been delayed again, would be great to have it same time as everyone else.

stargateheaven 23 December, 2015 @ 3:27 pm   15

Why does UK have to wait a bit longer? it’s gonna be 2016, not 2002. Release the game the same date as the rest of europe.

Beaker1986 23 December, 2015 @ 3:34 pm   16

A delay will only be remembered until the game launches, a buggy and broken game will be remembered a lot longer.

Can’t say I’m not disappointed but at the same time, this decision will only make the game better.

Harrisown 23 December, 2015 @ 3:45 pm   17

Why the heck is that not a world wide release? Why does the uk have to wait 2 days while the rest of the world finishes it live on twitch.

bluej1975 23 December, 2015 @ 3:49 pm   18

Calling it now. This will be pushed back again til June to fill the Summer gaming void.

I wonder if it takes them longer to go through and correct all the spellings from American to English than it does to translate the game into other languages for Europe, hence the extra two days? All those U’s and GH’s to put in to the subtitles! ^.^

I don’t mind waiting until it’s done, but I might buy it on my DE account if I can play it 2 days earlier…

RodrigoSharingan 23 December, 2015 @ 4:16 pm   20

And yet another delay. For some reason, this Uncharted is not calling for me, I cant understand why but it just isn’t. Being filled with bad marketing decisions, game design decisions and separating a community by not giving them access to a beta because they don’t buy a remaster, doesn’t really help also.

At least give us another beta, this time free for everyone.

GrumpyMcGrump 23 December, 2015 @ 4:23 pm

dont be so salty and just enjoy this awesome game

Bad marketing decisions?
    This one has the best marketing from all the previous games.
    This time it doesnt get spoiled by awesome gameplay setpieces. But we saw 2 enviroments; The jungle level and the Mandagascar city… there is gonna be so much going on in this game. Aswell with the environments. There is going to be snow levels,…Etc.

Seperating the community? With players that bought the collection and those that didnt? lmfao.

Fine by me. I have a backlog of games to finish before DS3, so I was going to wait until this dropped in price anyway. Take your time.

Really not bothered about it being delayed. It happens. Better this than a buggy game.

I have to wonder though, why a Wednesday? Aside from the fact the US get it on the Tuesday, a Wednesday is an odd release day no?

Kandracar 23 December, 2015 @ 4:57 pm   23

Take the time need by all means, though it would have been better not deciding a specific date so far in advance, twice. What is not fine is staggering the release across the different regions. A game such as this should be worldwide release as has been the precedent before now. That does disappoint me.

xStOnEhEaDx 23 December, 2015 @ 5:39 pm   24

Well at least its not the day before its supposed to be released, like with Civ 2 on the Vita..

Ryusennin 23 December, 2015 @ 5:50 pm   25

This game was never ready, even when it was “relaunched” after the firing of Amy Hennig and her team.

Witcher70 23 December, 2015 @ 5:53 pm   26

The only thing that is annoying me is the US is getting it first so the internet will be full of spoilers within hours. Utter stupid business plan.

Forget about the delay the biggest surprise is the UK have to wait till Friday is this not song’s biggest game how come you can’t manage a worldwide release date

JohanLiebert88 23 December, 2015 @ 6:02 pm   28

1st party stuff for PS4 is a disaster. Lovely Sony, why?!

Quality exclusives need time.
    Atleast Sony don’t give us ‘Masterchief collection’ quality.

Carnivius_Prime 23 December, 2015 @ 6:34 pm   29

As much as I find it difficult to wait patiently for this game (the main reason I even bought a PS4) I can totally understand needing more time to finish it up and release it as it should be. It’s only another month or so anyways. And given what happened to Assassin’s Creed Unity and especially the PC version of Arkham Knight I think if a developer needs a bit extra time to polish up the game to the standards we feel we deserve then let them!

ShinySilvery 23 December, 2015 @ 7:52 pm   30

Originally as a present to myself, as it WAS scheduled to release on my birthday… Dammit! Oh well, greatness awaits, as they say

Dang I totes wish I could play a buggy Uncharted.

fps_d0minat0r 23 December, 2015 @ 8:01 pm   32

Hopefully its to add dedicated servers and improve the networking.

BimmerNYC 23 December, 2015 @ 8:25 pm   33

I kinda felt this was going to happen, something didn’t feel right. Anyways, I’m totally fine with it as this is probably going to be the best Uncharted in the series. Looking forward to April 27 Naughty Dog!

dazzler619 23 December, 2015 @ 8:40 pm   34

Uncharted 4 coming late 2015
Uncharted 4 coming March 18th 2016
Uncharted 4 coming April 29th 2016
I can wait for this awesome game to be released at a high quality (looking at you Ubisoft). But there’s a lesson to be learned here. Naughty Dog, whatever your next game is don’t tell is a release date 2 years before it actually launches.

JoeChief117 23 December, 2015 @ 8:48 pm   35

It’s a good thing they are delaying this game. Gives them more time to iron out all the bugs etc. Much rather have a nice polished game as it is final game of the series! So bring on April 29th. 🙂

A game as big as Uncharted deserves a World Wide release. Why is the UK one of the last places in Europe to even get the game?

It’s funny how SCEE brags about the PlayStation being the best seller in the UK but we are usually the last ones to get the games.

GrumpyMcGrump 23 December, 2015 @ 10:58 pm

dont live on an island then?

First of all guys, love your work and i will continue to support you guys.
You take whatever time for whatever you need to do…

ps: Happy holidays, and yeah wish you guys alot of strengt in this “hardcore development time” you Naughty Dogs are working in now :p

No worries just make sure game is perfect from day one! If it ain’t right do not release it!

Stonesthrow 24 December, 2015 @ 11:03 am   39

Polish over release date, always. But what a serious downer. 🙁 I hope I can expect an extensive co op mode to complement the brilliant campaign in this ‘largest’ Uncharted yet. Multiplayer isn’t really my thing so I’m counting on a co op mode to deliver my replay value.

Should have released the single player as its own disc, the multiplayer as a standalone Naughty Dog Point freemium thing at a later date. Quality over quantity and all that.

I have pre ordered the deluxe edition and I was counting the days and now is even more delayed? …at least they must open the multiplayer again so to can play it on ps4…or to open the multiplayer on 2nd and 3rd uncharted for us who bought the collection…with a few words its stupid to not be able to play multiplayer on ps4 with uncharted..instead of doing a step forward with the ps4 console you are going backwards ..this is stupid and unexceptable for such a big company..Im very dissapointed.

gunnersteve69 24 December, 2015 @ 12:09 pm   42

Happy Christmas ND, cheers for the update on release date, tbh if it takes another 12 months until finished I would be still Happy, cause you guys wear your hearts on your sleeves in making qualtiy games for me to enjoy! Loved the beta , regards

Just take the time you need, and bring us an awesome Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.

Mike-13-GR 24 December, 2015 @ 1:43 pm   44

Take your time ND we know uncharted 4 will be the best uncharted of the series with the best multipalyer ever in uncharted game can’t wait to play my favorite game

maneesh2705 24 December, 2015 @ 2:20 pm   45

They need more time to make the GOTY 2016 game even better. Well, I have no problems with that.

casper1400 25 December, 2015 @ 2:00 am   46

Take all the time you want and make the last uncharted game go out with a bang. but can someone explain to me, why a singleplayer mission is exclusive to deluxe edition purchaser ? I kinda notice it when they have update information on psn or it something that always have been there in the first place ? (Sorry for my bad gramma)

bluscorp91 25 December, 2015 @ 8:55 pm

I doubt it’s the final Uncharted game, just the last one to feature Nathan Drake.

NamelessGamer505 25 December, 2015 @ 10:49 am   47

Well, may this be the last delay. Also, where is The Last Guardian? Will it disappear from the face of the earth again?

bluscorp91 25 December, 2015 @ 8:53 pm   48

Why apologize? It’s your game, take as long as you want.

I can accept the delay to enjoyed a fully polished game on the release date. However could you explain why the Digital Deluxe Edition is available for preorder only on the US PSN and not on the French PSN, although the official blog of Playstation EU announced since August that it should be available with the standard edition ?

A-F-A-Q-U-E 26 December, 2015 @ 6:30 pm   50

Worth the wait. Wishing Naughty Dog a gr8 year ahead with the release of UC4:ATE in 2016. Time to reserve 50Gb in advance on PS4 just for that game. On the contrary I have 3 months to finish my existing PS4 games with all the trophies I can grab, and delete the completed ones to make room for the upcoming titles. As we are aware amazing AAA’s are lined up for release on PS4 in 2016, so it will be a gr8 year for gaming.

Load all