It’s that time of year again; as the rest of Europe basks in a heatwave and London is covered in its usual grey clouds (we’re not bitter, honest), the PlayStation Store Summer Sale gets underway and brings a ray of sunshine to all of our gaming lives.
Of course, the gaming industry doesn’t take summer holidays and there’s been plenty of news this week, so read on for our round-up of what’s been happening – then jump into the comments section below and let us know what you’ve been playing…
This week’s biggest trailers
- No Man’s Sky – Survive
The last video in our four-part Guide to the Galaxy series showcases the near infinite ways to perish in the cold/hot/poisonous/sharp-toothed depths of space. No Man’s Sky is so close we can almost taste the space dust… are you as excited as we are? Find out more on how to survive here
- PES 2017 teams up with FC Barcelona
Messi, Neymar, Suarez and the rest of the FC Barcelona team are set to star in PES 2017, along with the incredible Camp Nou stadium. This trailer showcases the stunning detail they’ve been recreated in – and the insane footwork you can hope to pull off in-game.
- Injustice 2 – Wonder Woman reveal
If you’re going to mess with Wonder Woman, you’d better have some pretty explosive super powers hidden under your cape; the Amazonian goddess is coming to Injustice 2 along with fan-favourite Blue Beetle. See them slug it out in this new trailer:
Tweets of the week
— Neil Druckmann (@Neil_Druckmann) July 26, 2016
— ABZÛ (@AbzuGame) July 26, 2016
— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) July 27, 2016
Around the world of PlayStation
- Incredibly graceful, enthrallingly beautiful, Bound is coming to PS4 and PlayStation VR later this year. Gamespot sat down with game director Michal Staniszewski to dance their way through some of the game and chat about what’s inspired this unique title.
- Now this is cool… if you’re looking for an arts and crafts project, you too could make your own God of War axe. It might not quite be sharp enough to storm Olympus with though.
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is an all-time classic of the FPS genre – and as you’ll have heard, it’s getting the remaster treatment in time for the launch of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. IGN took a look at how this polished version measures up against the original (and remember, pre-order the Legacy Edition for PS4 and you’ll get exclusive early access to the single player campaign).
- Everyone loves a freebie and this Suicide Squad PS4 theme has been getting a lot of love – you can pick it up now on PlayStation Store.
This week’s PlayStation Store ‘leftfield’ pick:
If you’re looking for a big old slice of nostalgia with a hefty side order of absolute mayhem this week, Retro City Rampage DX has you more than covered. With nods to more classic games than I could count (Paperboy and the original Grand Theft Auto were standouts though), this is fantastic 8-bit fun – and what’s more, it’s incredible value as Cross-Buy gives you access to the PS4, PS Vita and PS3 versions for only one purchase.
The pick of PlayStation Blog:
- Your PlayStation Plus monthly games for August touch down next week and PS4 players have Tricky Towers and Rebel Galaxy coming their way. Tricky Towers in particular has been turning lunchtimes in the PlayStation office into riotous affairs, and some rivalries are now pushing the boundaries of professional courtesy – you’ll want to play this one, trust us.
- The PlayStation Store Summer Sale is now in full swing, bringing some of the biggest discounts of the year on a whole heap of triple-A titles. The list of games on sale is HUGE, so take a minute or two to check it out here
- The next big PS4 system software update is on its way, and you could be one of the first to test-drive the new features being added by signing up to the beta trial. I’ve seen the list and there is some very cool stuff coming – so sign up now to be in with a chance of being a beta tester.
The rest of the headlines:
- Summon Night 6: Lost Borders coming to PS4, PS Vita
- Frenetic 2D RTS Cannon Brawl hits PS4 on 3rd August
- How Headlander’s incredible synth score was created
- Tricky Towers brings frenetic multiplayer action to PS4 on 2nd August
- Farming Simulator 17 debuts a brand new gameplay trailer
- New Paragon Hero reveal: The Fey
- The story behind Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
- Metrico+ arrives on PS4 this August
What we’re currently playing:
With Fred away on holiday this week, it’s been down to the three stooges to hold the fort…
Corey: “All the Rogue One excitement of late has made me turn to LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Turns out I’m kind of a big deal in the Resistance…”
Matt: “I picked up the Resident Evil Origins double pack last month and with my TV now fixed I can finally jump in to REmake. The good: for a 14-year-old game, it looks and plays fantastic. The bad: all of Barry’s classic one liners from the original RE have been rewritten. The ugly: his new one liners might be even cheesier!”
Rhys: “I know I’m getting a bit repetitive here, but I can’t stop playing Rainbow Six Siege – and new maps are coming soon, so I can’t see this changing for a while”.