Posted

PS4 system software update 4.50 is out tomorrow: here’s everything you need to know

Details on external HDD, custom wallpaper, GIF support, new privacy options and more

Our next major system software update for PlayStation 4, version 4.50 (codenamed SASUKE), rolls out tomorrow. Thanks to those who have taken part in the beta and provided us with useful feedback.

We’ve already shared some of the key features last month, like external HDD support and custom wallpaper, but that wasn’t all this update has to offer. Here’s a look at some additional features heading to your system soon.

External HDD

As we previously mentioned, 4.50 allows to download and store PS4 games and apps to an external HDD. Insert your USB 3.0 HDD into your console, and select it from ‘USB Storage Devices’ from ‘Devices’ in Settings to format it so it’s ready to use (note, any previously stored content will be wiped from the HDD).

TITLE

The HDD will now be the default download location as long as it’s plugged in; you can select the PS4’s internal storage instead on the ‘Storage’ section in Settings. You can easily move your internally-stored games and apps across to the HDD by selecting ‘Applications’ in ‘Storage’, press the ‘Options’ button and select ‘Move to Extended Storage’. You’ll be able to choose which games and apps you want to move.

TITLE

To safely remove the HDD, hold down the PS button on your controller and select ‘Sound/Devices’ and then ‘Stop Using Extended Storage’ from the Quick Menu.

TITLE

There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system.

PS VR Improvements

If you’re playing a game in PS VR, and you return to PS4’s home screen, you may notice that the resolution looks lower than normal on the TV ‘Social Screen’. Following this update, you’ll find that the resolution of the system screen displayed on your TV is significantly better when you’re out of VR mode.

Also, the resolution of Cinematic Mode on PS VR will improve – if your PS VR screen size is set to Small or Medium, the framerate of content viewed in Cinematic Mode goes up from 90Hz to 120Hz with this update.

PS VR will now support Blu-ray 3D* discs. You will have the ability to watch them in stereoscopic 3D via your headset.

Voice chat for Remote Play

We’re adding voice chat when using Remote Play on Windows PC, Mac or an Xperia device. If you’ve got a gaming session planned with your friends, but you’re away from your system, this update makes it seem like you’re right at home. You can switch your mic on and off via the microphone icon on the Tool Bar of the Remote Play app.

Off-console availability

We have a variety of off-console apps and features that make communication with other gamers easier, like the PlayStation App and PS Messages. We’re adding an icon, shaped like a smartphone, which indicates a player is logged into PSN but away from their console.

Custom wallpaper & profile colour

Ready for a much more personal PS4 home screen? Head to Settings, then select Theme. From here, choose ‘Custom’ and select any screenshot and set it as your new PS4 home screen wallpaper.

TITLE

Also there’s a new option to better personalise your Profile page. If you’ve selected a custom cover image, your PS4 will generate a choice of supporting colours based on that image to change the page’s background colour to.

Share your activity

You’ll now have more choice on what you want to include on your Activity Feed, letting you create custom stories with text, screenshots, player and game tags. Find the post tool on What’s New, your Profile or Content Info Screen.

Activity feed privacy

In addition, you can now change the privacy settings for individual posts. You can alter who sees your Activities via the same-named tab in the Sharing Your Experience section of Settings, while you can decide the level of privacy for videos, screenshots, broadcasts, PS Store and PS Music when you go to upload them. But worry not, you can also alter who gets to see that content after the post has been shared.

Save Data Shortcut

Hover over a game title icon and press the Options button. You’ll be given the choice to ‘Upload/Download Saved Data’ from the the PS4’s home screen that let you upload the saved data on your PS4 to PS Plus online storage and download the saved data from PS Plus online storage to your PS4 with ease.

From Capture Gallery to SHAREfactory

Select your chosen screenshot or video in Capture Gallery, and by pressing the Options button you’ll have the choice to go straight into SHAREfactory and start editing.

GIF support

Get the GIF love in 4.50, as you can now share GIFs from SHAREfactory to your Activity Feeds.

Boost mode (applicable to PlayStation 4 Pro only)

TITLE

PS4 Pro gets a new feature in this update called Boost Mode. This feature has been designed to provide better performance for legacy titles that have not been patched to take advantage of the PS4 Pro’s faster CPU and its faster and double-sized GPU. This can provide a noticeable frame rate boost to some games with variable frame rates, and can provide frame rate stability for games that are programmed to run at 30 Hz or 60 Hz.

Depending on the game, the increased CPU speed may also result in shorter load times. Keep in mind that Boost Mode is not guaranteed to work with all titles. Turning the setting off will allow the game to be played in a mode that replicates the standard PS4.

You can turn on the Boost Mode from the PS4’s Settings menu. Go to ‘Settings’, then ‘System’, then scroll down to ‘Boost Mode’ and tick the box to turn Boost Mode on.

PS Messages and Communities app updates

We’re also updating the PS Messages (for Android and iOS) and Communities apps (FOR Android and iOS) tomorrow with a few handy features.

• When you receive a Party invitation from your friends on PS Messages, now you can respond with a quick reply, “I’ll join later” or “Sorry, I can’t join,” when you want to get back to them asap.

TITLE

• On the Communities app, you can now easily check the PSN service status under Settings > View Status of PSN Services.
  • Also on the Communities app, iOS users can tell at a glance if there are any new posts in their community by checking the badge app icon (the number in a red circle at the top-right corner of the app’s icon).

We can’t wait for you to get your hands on all these new features, and make sure to let us know what you think in the comments. We’re listening and always appreciate your feedback!

*Blu-ray 3D™ is a trademark of the Blu-ray Disc Association.

133 Comments
0 Author replies
TIMETRAVEL1966 08 March, 2017 @ 13:28

Thanks playstation

Steve_Of_The_O 09 March, 2017 @ 13:40
1.1

Would love if they sorted it so official headsets don’t need to use up a USB port. Like to have my V2 pad wired. With that and the headset there’s no room for an external HDD. Can’t believe they didn’t design it with at least one in the back of the PS4.

Can I plug disk to another PS4 and play games there if I add my account there? Or if my PS4 got broken, and I buy a new one, could I just connect external disk back and have all games (so in fact it’s a kind of backup)?.

xPhoenixZerox 08 March, 2017 @ 13:44
2.1

Yes, u can

2.2

Remember that the system can *only* be installed on the internal drive, which means you’ll have to revalidate every content stored on the external drive. Better than reinstalling everything of course.

TIMETRAVEL1966 08 March, 2017 @ 13:52

Can we store pics videos and music on the ex hd and play them on the ps4 as we used to on the ps3

3.1

You can’t.

3.2

What? Yes you can. For ages you’ve been able to watch videos n play music from usb. Dunno bout pics cause I’ve never tried.

3.3

You 100% can and have been able to do this for a long time on PS4…ignore the user that said you can’t

Show more replies

At last :) Now i can unbox my 5tb hard drive ready for tomorrow!!!

Some 3D TVs convert 2D images to 3D. Works for DVD/Blue ray and even PS3/PS4 games. Can we get that ability for the VR please? that would be awesome :)
Thanks ;)

Some absolutely great features in this update. The external HDD is a smart move. I still secretly wish you would roll that out for PS3.

There is one glaring omission that I would strongly suggest you change stance on. 4K Blu-Ray playback. Not to offer 4K via the playstation store is bad enough but for those of us that have forked out for the PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR tv we would appreciate our prime machine having the ability to play these movies. I don’t know why you chose to defend the decision by saying Netflix, Amazon and Youtube offer 4K content. They barely scrape the barrell. I am having to use my 4K discs on my Xbox One S and to add to the Iron my favourite movie, Ghostbusters, is a Sony product. So a Sony Movie cannot be played on Sony created media on a Sony machine. Surely you guys realise how silly this decision was.

CluckNuggets 08 March, 2017 @ 18:04
6.1

I’m pretty sure Sony would do that if it were possible. I’m not sure why they haven’t but hopefully there will be a surprise announcement in the near future?

6.2

You can just buy Ultra HD Blu-Rays.

That’s what they’re for.

6.3

And Sony wonders why 4K Blu-ray is such a flop one year after its launch. Even they don’t believe in their own tech. In my book, this is the single most important reason why the PS4 Pro is a scam.

Show more replies

Looking forward to it, what time do these normally go live?

Are there any performance issues when playing games directly from the extended USB storage?

CluckNuggets 08 March, 2017 @ 18:01
8.1

Not unless you pick a worse drive than what is installed in the console.

iPad remote play. Do it

TIMETRAVEL1966 08 March, 2017 @ 18:38
9.1

Please

it only supports one external HDD? disappointing, but at least we finally get external HDD support.

spacemonkey15 08 March, 2017 @ 19:21
10.1

Because you have that many games you cannot purchase a big enough HDD to fit them on ?

10.2

well first of all I have several smaller HDDs for historic reasons. secondly it’s easier to make backups when you can connect two. and thirdly…even wii u supports 2 external HDDs..so what’s sony’s excuse?

If external USB 3.0 HD is a fast SSD, will read and write performance be significantly better than for internal hdd? I heard that replacing internal hdd with SSD don’t significantly improve performance.

11.1

11.2

I use a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD in my Pro and it makes a huge difference to loading and when playing open world games that stream in data. For example I can load a save in Witcher 3 in under 10 seconds.

I would suggest that those other people were using inferior SSD or haven’t a clue what they are on about.

11.3

A real SSD makes a noticeable difference in some games. Forget about hybrid SSHD drives though. They’re a waste of money (on consoles at least).

The internal port is SATA 2 (around 3 Gbps). The external USB 3 port reaches theoretical peak performance of 5 Gbps, but the actual performance is around 4 Gbps. For SSD drives, it’s actually beneficial. For standard HDDs, it won’t make the slightest difference since a mechanical drive can’t even saturate SATA 1’s bandwidth.

Show more replies

Nice .

Any Vita updates?

13.1

lol

spacemonkey15 08 March, 2017 @ 19:18

Epic. Been waiting for 3d Bluray VR support since day 1. Boost mode is fantastic.

Now I have one question… what about Youtube 3d VR support or the same support from the Media Player or Web browser ?

There is a shed load of 3d VR content and at the moment its just 180 or 360 and flat as a sheet of A4.

14.1

Boost mode has marginal impact at best.

14.2

i was waiting VR rd bluray support as well since day 1…and have exactly the same question …if they are going to realease in an upcoming update ..3d support for media player ..since there are digital purchases of movies that we have allready and would be great to be able to watch

KaizerSharack 09 March, 2017 @ 05:10
14.3

Boost mode has a definite impact, you won’t get a higher max fps in 30 fps limited games etc. but you will experience a much more stable game with a perfectly stable fps. This is proven in comparisons all over the net. Don’t listen to Ryusennin he’s a known microsoft fanboy.

Show more replies
ClankyBridges 08 March, 2017 @ 19:23

Any idea what time this will be available, from mid night would be good?

This does also count for the old base PS4? and how do we get these custom wallpapers? i guess we can download them directly from the web browser like PS3?

Finally, custom wallpaper support, i love it!

16.1

Custom wallpapers are just screenshots of your games.

But you can also use the web browser trick to import your own pictures.

16.2

Also animated ones? can’t remember if the PS3 did.

Do you HAVE to let the PS4 format your external harddrive before it will work? I already have a correctly formatted 500 gb external drive split between PC and Playstation use, with about 200gb set to NTFS and about 300gb* set to FAT32, which i’ve been using for PC and PS3 back ups for a few years.

But i’ve also tested to see if my PS4 could use the FAT32 partition when the USB music feature came out and it worked.

If you have to let the PS4 format it, does it have to format the entire drive or can i set it only to reformat the FAT32 bit, or can i set it to create a third partition, leaving the PC and PS3 partitions alone?

Also if i have to reformat the whole thing, can the PS3 use the exFat format?

*Though of course OSs never let you use the complete amount of space on a drive or partition or display it in an odd way – the 300gb only shows up as being 270gb on my PS3, similarly to how my PS4 only lets me use/shows me 405gb of its’ 500gb.

17.1

You need to pre-format the *whole* drive to FAT/exFAT in order for it to just be recognized by the PS4. Then the console will prep it for its own file system.

You do not need to pre-format and can format as ex-fat in the storage menu (after that you need to format as extended storage).

Apologies I did not read your whole post!

It reformats the whole drive as ex-fat and then you format it as “extended storage” and this is PS4 specific and therefore you can’t use the disc for any other purpose.

You would need to try using a partitioned drive but I don’t think it will work but as I did not have a partitioned drive I maybe wrong.

Sony, could you give a bit more info on external HDD’s? Like, if it is one with a power source. What do we need to look out for? I know that that kind of HDD’s have sleep modes. Do we have to turn them off before branching them? Or do we have to do something else to prevent problems with being Idle or Rest Mode.

18.1

Only 2.5 HDDs are powered via USB.

3.5 inches hard drives need an additional power supply.

You can use either, I am using a 3.5 inch externally power drive as that what I had available.

It powers down when you go into rest mode unless you are downloading at the time then it remains powered up until your download finishes. It will also power up for any updates pushed through overnight.

I had an issue this leaving the ports powered for 3 hours in rest mode, doing this caused the USB drive to remain on constantly. Not sure if it’s been fixed as I have not had time to look and I simply turn that option off.

18.3

I’d like to know too if both are fine or it has to be either/or USB powered/external power source.

Show more replies

It’s ok especially external harddrive support, wanted vue tv and option to tern off advertising. And custome and alternative game icon’s In ps store.

Please bring the PlayStation App and PlayStation Messages to Windows 10 Mobile.

CluckNuggets 08 March, 2017 @ 22:55
20.1

You have more chance of Sony ignoring the risk of piracy and allowing external hard drives than getting a Windows 10 app… Oh wait. No seriously good luck with that.

These updates are great but what about a simple update to allow us to play a cd to losten to music? I have a huge cd collection which i use my ps3 to play them at the moment…

marinerblue21 08 March, 2017 @ 19:57

Is anybody else having screen flicker issues with the PS4 Pro? I’m hoping this patch fixes this issue. If I change the tv source to HDMI 4 for about a minute it’s seems to fix the flicker issue when I change the source back to HDMI 5 (vizio.. that’s the 4K port). Does anyone have their own fix for this issue?

alienshipwreck 08 March, 2017 @ 20:06

BEAST MODE ON!!

23.1

Yes, enjoy your 29.9 fps instead of 29.8 fps.

KaizerSharack 09 March, 2017 @ 05:11
23.2

23.3

30FPS games that struggled to stay at 30 now lock to it. Games that jumped around 40-50 mostly stay at 60fps. It works brilliantly on many games. have a look at benchmarks.

“Thanks to those who have taken part in the beta and provided us with useful feedback.”

No need to thank us, as you didn’t really bother to take our feedback into account.

24.1

Such as?

24.2

Wow this guy is really upset about the update.
May I suggest that if you don’t like Sony or its goods, perhaps not buy, pay or use them? It might make you a little happier in general.

KaizerSharack 09 March, 2017 @ 05:11
24.3

discostu1980 08 March, 2017 @ 21:15

Can’t believe it. Finally upgraded my hdd at the beginning of the year, obviously paying more for an internal drive, went through the whole bloody process of re-downloading everything and now you finally allow external drives. Aaaaargh.

Sony are you trolling me?!

oOoItsmeAJoOo 09 March, 2017 @ 08:59
25.1

nah, you just installed new HDD on the wrong time =))

No mention of the notifications changes, hmmm I wonder why.

Also noticed that they have qualified that not all USB drives may be compatible. I had an old Samsung M3 portable 1TB which worked fine as a PS4 backup disk and for PC work but was not recognised by the beta. Luckily I had another drive which worked perfectly.

26.1

Yea, I’ve been dreading the notification changes. IMO there’s already too much to scroll through that’s badly positioned, this only seems to add to the injury.

PlayStation please make your mobile apps available in the middle east region. I can’t download the messages game from the Google play with Egyptian account! Please consider loyal fans and players are all over the world

27.1

download this app from the link and this app(store) have all app free on your mobile !!!

ramicsantos0487 08 March, 2017 @ 21:51

Y want share videos with facecam

ferenzzz1971 08 March, 2017 @ 22:09

Please! for the next update the option to change username/nickname!

Thanks!

I hope that will solve the Big problem about HDR with LG TV’s !!!!!!!!

Does the external storage update work with ANY external harddrive??

From the article “Note: compatible HDDs need to be USB 3.0 or later, between 250GB (min) – 8TB (max).” and also note they say “There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system”.

I had one device that worked and one that did.

“and one that did not”.

31.3

How you meant to know what will and won’t work. Not good if you need to purchase a new one

Show more replies

is it possible to download your PS4 Games from the Playstore on external HDD using PS3 or PC?

BushwalkerSP 09 March, 2017 @ 01:27

I wonder when is this update going to be released in Australia. I would like to test 3D Blu-rays with PS VR.

33.1

Should be available tomorrow morning sometime

spideymaddox 09 March, 2017 @ 02:44

I have a 2TB drive installed in my PS4 but i still have the old drive that was taken out of it. I am wondering if after the update hits will i be able to hook up my old drive and transfer some stuff i still have on it over to the new drive that is currently installed in my PS4?

CluckNuggets 09 March, 2017 @ 04:36
34.1

The limitations of the file system are going to make that really annoying for you.

34.2

What limitations? Yeah you can copy over various games and crap. No problem.

Sigh… I don’t want to ‘create custom stories’ in my custom feed -_-, I simply want more options as to what I’m seeing from others. For example, I don’t need an update on every trophy a friend makes!
That might have remotely been the only thing I’d be interested in here.

Also, hide hidden trophies in the actual trophy list! This might not be an issue for the average player with a couple of hundred trophies, but at over 6000 trophies you don’t want more games to scroll in there than necessary.

What has also been really bugging me is having to scroll through a bunch of options in the quick menu just to get to the ‘quit the app’ option (which, by my account, should be the default selected option), so more customisable options as to how things are sorted.

Also, bring back microphone support for non-Sony headsets that are connected to the controller.

A bunch of simple requests that simply improve on the user experience.
But hey, at least I can transform my custom feed into Miiverse now…...

Show full comment

That might have remotely been the only thing I’d be interested in here.

A bunch of simple requests that simply improve on the user experience.
But hey, at least I can transform my custom feed into Miiverse now…

Any times??,

Goldenwire16 09 March, 2017 @ 08:44

When the update is happening and in which country?

Goldenwire16 09 March, 2017 @ 08:45

I am in Middle East.

About 90% of the beta testers are complaining about the new notifications menu (me too). But you left it untouched, My only question is why??

39.1

The beta seems to be about finding bugs. They usually ignore us and do what they want to do regardless of player feedback.

39.2

yep it’s terrible. they always have to make some things worse, don’t they?

TheDirtyNinja 09 March, 2017 @ 08:48

I love remote play from mac\windows now that was a step in the right direction, all these new features are great but please add support so I can map keyboard buttons and use over remote play (besides just x/o) this would make remote play so great.

It’s now live. Quick bit of info.

PLEASE MAKE THE PARTY CHAT LIMIT HIGHER, 8 is definitely not enough.

Carnivius_Prime 09 March, 2017 @ 09:31

Some nice features here. Still not sure why PS4 still lacks PS1 support. Got about 30 or so PS1 games I’d quite like to redownload and have installed onto my PS4. And sure can’t be that PS4 isn’t powerful enough to do so. So what’s the deal?

Can we get some control for the PSVR movie screen size/distance? It’d be nice to push it back a bit so you don’t have to move your head quite so much when watching a film. I don’t usually sit right at the front when I go to the cinema.

44.1

Aha! Settings > Devices > PlayStation VR > Cinematic Mode offers 3 size options.
A simple on screen control would have been nice though ;)

44.2

ok, tried that, Big is massive and makes films low res, medium is just a bit uncomfortably close and small is horrible, it’s attached to your head movements.
the Youtube VR screen is better, set medium to that position, or have it simply adjustable/FOV slider please

THE-PLASTICA-MAN 09 March, 2017 @ 10:30

Why Sony just WHY? Why didn’t you resolve this problem in the full 4.50 release:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345530 ?

Now I can’t roll back to 4.07 which didn’t have that problem. I reported that bug to the official beta bug report but it seems they didn’t listen. To whom should I report it now?

Game crashed & save corrupted.
Off to a good start with 4.50.

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you sony for the 4.5 update! It is awesome.

any driver to support SBH80 headset? Ludicrous to think in this day & age two product from the same company are not compatible.

Anyone else finding the ps4 menu’s are still sluggish after the update?

I got my external HDD all set up and set it to install there but when I try to install a game it says that I should make space available on my system storage?!

Load all

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.