Posted 11 January

The PlayStation Official App Now Available For Download

The Official PlayStation App, Coming Soon To iPhone And Android Handsets

Back in December, I announced that we at SCEE were working on a PlayStation App for iPhone and Android handsets.

I’m delighted today to let you know that the version 1.0 of the PlayStation Official App is now available to download for free from the App Store and Android Market.

The app is compatible with iPhone and iPod Touch with OS 4 and above, and most Android handsets with a minimum of OS 1.6.

The Official PlayStation App for the iPhone

Here’s a recap of the features in version 1.0:

• Check out your PlayStation Network trophies and keep up to date with your friends’ games and online status.
  • Discover all the latest games, news and hardware for your PlayStation 3, PSP and PlayStation 2.
  • Read all the announcements on the European PlayStation.Blog.
  • Share your favourite products or news with your friends on Facebook, Twitter or via e-mail.

The first version (1.0) is available in the following countries: UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and The Netherlands.

We are already working on the next update and we are planning to roll-out the app in most of SCEE’s markets very soon.

Once you’ve downloaded the app, please let me know in the comments below your first impressions and I’ll be happy to answer questions.

Here’s the link to download the app at iTunes -

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

255 Comments 33 Author replies
Show oldest first

Diablo_Rosso 11 January, 2011 @ 3:34 pm   1

Doesn’t support HTC Wildfire. Fail.

casperbart 11 January, 2011 @ 3:34 pm   2

Why isn’t it released in all European countries?

Can you be more specific about when it launches in the rest of Europe? You said January in the first post about this, but that must have been pushed back right? Considering the App launched today rather than before Christmas as you hoped.

I’m not complaining btw. Love that you’re making an App, and it looks great.

Emmanuel Orssaud 11 January, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

Thanks for your comment! all I can say is that we are working on it and we’re hoping to launch the app in other European countries very soon.

What are you going to include in the next update?

Handige_Harry 11 January, 2011 @ 3:37 pm   5

Love it! Runs great on my HTC Desire!

Now anounce youre Xperia Play please :p

SchuddeBuikje 11 January, 2011 @ 3:38 pm   6

It works great om my HTC desire HD.

download link for android users: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=3&d=market%3A%2F%2Fdetails%3Fid%3Dcom.scee.psxandroid

dbzgengsta 11 January, 2011 @ 3:39 pm   7

Great! Had a good look through the app and all i can say is WOW.

Cant wait to see what future updates bring.

Well Done Sony /PSblog! :D

Emmanuel Orssaud 11 January, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

thanks for the great comment! This is the first version as I explained before and we are planning loads more exciting features for the next versions.

TiranKenja 11 January, 2011 @ 3:40 pm   8

Thank you for once again pointlessly splitting up your region of the world. Why would you insist that we cannot have this application? Most people would be just fine with running it in English instead of their native tongue.

Works great on the iPhone 4! Very nice and slick!!

kaanmijo1995 11 January, 2011 @ 3:40 pm   10

Works good on the HTC Desire HD. It’s a bit slow, though.

Baz_the_great 11 January, 2011 @ 3:41 pm   12

Very nice app. I love the layout, colour, graphics and transitions.

Keep up the good work.

almighty-slayer 11 January, 2011 @ 3:41 pm   13

It’s a VERY well made and slick app, with brilliant PSBlog intergration, so well done to whoever made it.

Any plans to add features like PSN messaging? Or even PSN store access to remotely buy games and queue them for download? Lots of people would love that, from what i’ve been reading :) If it’s possible, of course.

Another cool thing it would be nice to include: A PSN widget?

Thanks for the cool app, look forward to seeing it improved. Great start.

morton027 11 January, 2011 @ 3:41 pm   14

Looks good, not a bad start.

First suggestion though, the order of the Friends list is completely random, could an option be added to sort it either in alphabetical order or by online status?

Emmanuel Orssaud 11 January, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

Thanks morton027, as you said this is just a start and we will add plenty more features to the app soon.
    yes we know about the friend list order issue and we are planning to address this in the next version.

Nice!

mango1234 11 January, 2011 @ 3:41 pm   16

I’ll get this when the PSP Phone comes out ;)

greyness123 11 January, 2011 @ 3:41 pm   17

theres seems to be a bug with friends list having the x offline icon next to some people yet they are online , things needed to improve is text messaging and store access to start downloads and also please let us comment on blog using it . good app just pretty useless right now

Emmanuel Orssaud 11 January, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

we noticed this issue on the iPhone version too and we we will upload a new version later today which should fix this.

nemo20000 11 January, 2011 @ 3:42 pm   18

3.15MB? Why does it have to be so huge?

And yes, 3MB is huge for what could be done in a browser.

Requires iOS4 :( Oh well, plenty of other apps that have been out for ages that have the same functionality.

GekooktEi 11 January, 2011 @ 3:42 pm   20

I do second post #1, it’s really pity that you don’t support the 320×240 resolution.

Also, this blog post would be ten times more proffesional if you’d also added a Android Market link or even a QR code.

Will it be made available for the Windows Phone 7 in the future?

Jack-Bauer-89 11 January, 2011 @ 3:43 pm   22

Any chance of a QR code for Android users? the Android market isn’t the easiest thing in the world to use :/

APK has already been leaked… so Sony tell me, what was the point in not releasing this for the entire world?

If you are really lucky, we are going to see some modified versions, which steal people’s PSN info, because people will go looking for this app other places.

Just release it worldwide, people do not need it to be translated to every [DELETED] langugage on this planet. *sigh*

Emmanuel Orssaud 11 January, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

it’s not only about translation but also about giving our users the right content for each country.

Can’t seem to find it on the Android market on my HTC Wildfire…

SchuddeBuikje 11 January, 2011 @ 3:46 pm   25

@Jack-Bauer-89

QR Code:
http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=3&d=market%3A%2F%2Fdetails%3Fid% 3Dcom.scee.psxandroid

Make sure you use the whole link.

Sony, you can keep trying to puch the psn store content all you want, but untill you start selling at a competitive price point you will not see tremendous sales increases,
Example, Borderlands on psn is £24, i can get a GOTY version at £14.
Think Sony.

It looks great, a very nice app indeed with a lot of promise!

One question, though, how is it organising the Friends List? It’s not by last online or alphabetical – in fact it seems totally random! Any chance of having it sort like the PS3 does with it being either last online order or alphabetically?

Still, that’s my one & only “complaint” (and it’s not even a complaint, really!)! Bring on the next update – hoping for more integration with PSN like messaging or queueing up downloads from the Store. ;)

I’m going to buy a Xperia Arc :)

greyness123 11 January, 2011 @ 3:49 pm   29

imagine if you could access your qriocity music using this app ? would get me paying for it without hesitation

Myst3rialP 11 January, 2011 @ 3:50 pm   30

Hi Emmanuel!

Great to see PS application on mobile devices. However I’ve got one simple question. Is there any chance to see it also on PSP? I think that PS Portable is closer to PS3 than any phone or iPod/iPhone..

GekooktEi 11 January, 2011 @ 3:52 pm   31

@ haz360 (#23):

Doesn’t support the Wildfire.

Sasukekun 11 January, 2011 @ 3:52 pm   32

It’s very nice, doesn’t really do anything though.

It really needs the ability to communicate with your friends list to be more worthwhile.

I’m currently using the safari browser on my iPhone to browse the ps blog because I can’t seem to read/write comments on the playstation app log. Am I missing something?

Emmanuel Orssaud 11 January, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

comments from the blog are not available in this first version but we’ll add them soon to the app with the ability to comment.

I really liked the background, other than that I prefer PS3 Trophies PRO for Android. Friend notifications, widget, games, trophies and a lot of cool features.

Blog*

greyness123 11 January, 2011 @ 3:54 pm   36

how long are we talking for the next update to hit ? estimate

nicnemame 11 January, 2011 @ 3:57 pm   37

Can we expected Czech version of the app? Or will be at least available on CZ App Store?

jacksback21 11 January, 2011 @ 3:58 pm   38

Good stuff. Looks nice and is well designed.

But the compare trophies doesn’t seem to work. It also would be good if you could allow us to send people messages over PSN using it.

Not available on my SONY ERICSSON Xperia Mini ?

I don’t find it on the market.

App looks tight on my HTC Desire !!! thanks !

First impressions are that this is very nice and runs so smoothly.
The main thing to address is friends list sorting, I would like the options of online/offline status and alphabetical as opposed to the current method of using a random arrangement absolutely devoid of all order and logic! ;)

Also it would be great if we could add comments here via the app.

Cheers, and thanks again for this FREE app.

Mik

Oh and if we could access our PS3 messages, that would be outstanding but from other existing Android apps I gather that this might not be possible?

FlunkYou2 11 January, 2011 @ 4:03 pm   43

love it just slow at times :(

FlunkYou2 11 January, 2011 @ 4:03 pm   44

oh thats on a HTC Desire

mrfight67 11 January, 2011 @ 4:04 pm   45

Are you planning a version in the future for the x10 mini? Would love to have this on my phone, especially since ive just started a 2 year contract

Lilja4Ever 11 January, 2011 @ 4:04 pm   46

Great App. Thanks. one suggestion would be for a widget on Android (does iphone have these?) which will keep up to date with the news. Maybe another for PSN friends list. nice app though

VictorAnalogy 11 January, 2011 @ 4:05 pm   47

Like the app so far. Looks very slick. Would like a widget for Android please.

OK doesn’t support the X10 Mini, an SONY Ericsson product ! Good job SONY !

Sparks018 11 January, 2011 @ 4:06 pm   49

This is a great looking app. I haven’t had the chance to look at it fully yet, but my only niggle so far is that the trophy list (recently achieved) for self and friends takes an eternity to load. No exaggeration to say I could drive the distance the data is travelling and get the info myself….

..OK, slight exaggeration.

Good app though – well worth the wait.

aitormedrano 11 January, 2011 @ 4:14 pm   50

Works great on iphone 4 … I miss to compare the trophies between users in detail, inside a game, trophy by trophy.

Good start, it’s faster than I expected. Looking forward the next version

Load all