Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 3:04pm

Renegade Ops – Let’s Talk About Upgrades

Hello again, I’m pleased to be able to drop back onto the PS Blog to supply you with more information about our PSN PLAY bound title Renegade Ops. So I’ve talked previously about the story, the characters and the vehicles, but now it’s time to give you the lowdown on the upgrades you’ll be able to pimp your vehicle of choice with.

First though, allow me to give you the first exclusive look at the latest trailer which surprisingly enough shows off some of these upgrades.

The better you are at the game – in other words the more enemies you destroy, stunts you pull (smashing your way off cliffs, bridges, through buildings etc) and collectables you grab – the quicker you’ll reach the next level, and in this game levels mean prizes…well, upgrade points. So, how can you spend these points? Well you’ll have the choice of three skill trees to spread your points over, so you can customise your character depending on how you best play the game. The only limit to this is the amount of upgrades you can have active at one time; the higher your level, the more upgrades you can equip.

What I’ll do below is detail the upgrades you’ll have access to, and then give you an example using my current level 19 Roxy build.

All Character Upgrades

Defence

Spare Parts: Chance of spawning health pick-ups from your vehicle when hit by explosive damage
Nitro: Double tap turbo button for nitro speed boost, also extinguishes fire if used when burning
Second Chance: Death is delayed by 10 seconds so you can find a health pick up to stay alive. Second chance only triggers once per life
Extra Life: Increases the numbers of loves you start each mission with by 1
Hardened Hull: Maximum health increased and health received from pick-ups increased
Auto Repair: Automatically regenerate health when low

Offence

Auto Reload: Automatically generate ammo for secondary weapon over time
Ammo Surplus: Secondary ammo pick-ups give more ammo than normal
Advanced Arms: Rocket launcher – homing rockets, Railgun – shorter charge time, Flame Thrower – Damage increased
Magazine Size – Basic: Secondary weapon magazine size increased
Magazine Size – Elite: Secondary weapon magazine size greatly increased

Now it starts to get different, with each character having unique upgrades, as follows:

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Roxy

Roxy Upgrades
Special Ability: Rocket Strike – Drops beacons that are hit by a rain of rockets from the sky, causing area damage.

Offence

Rocket Launcher Kit: Start Every life with Rocket Launcher and some ammo equipped

Tactical

Efficiency – Basic: Rocket Strike cooldown reduced
Efficiency – Elite: Rocket Strike cooldown greatly reduced
Auto Strike: Rocket Strike automatically targets and attempts to directly hit enemies in area
Bombardment – Basic: Rocket Strike duration and radius increased
Bombardment – Elite: Rocket Strike duration and radius greatly increased
Quick Strike: Rocket Strike hits instantly and has increased damage radius

So, to give an example to provide further context, here’s how this ‘expert’ Renegade Ops player does it:

Roxy (Currently level 19)

Defence -

• Nitro (short additional speed boost, removes fire if burning)
  • Extra Life (Start each mission with 1 extra life)

Offence - Ammo Surplus (Secondary ammo pick-ups give more ammo than usual)

Tactical -

• Bombardment – Basic (Rocket Strike duration and radius increased)
  • Efficiency – Basic (Rocket Strike cooldown reduced)
  • Quick Strike (Rocket Strike hits instantly and has increased damage radius)

Current skills equipped - Ammo Surplus, Efficiency – Basic and Quick Strike

This build means that the already nimble Buggy that Roxy drives is now suitably powered too; secondary weapons can be spammed a lot more due to the extra ammo, and I’ve skilled up my special ability into something quite devastating. The only problem is without any defensive abilities equipped I’m currently something of a glass cannon…but hey, you play how you play, and in this game I like to be in and out of the action quickly dealing as much damage as possible.

Usually in co-operative games I play a support role, whether that’s as a medic or engineer, but in Renegade Ops I want to be nimble and explosively deadly, and that’s why I prefer Roxy. However, you may like to support your teammates by causing disabling effects to the enemies, so your preference may be for Diz and her awesome EMP special ability.

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Diz

Diz Upgrades
Special Ability: EMP – Releases an electromagnetic pulse over a large area disabling all enemies within this area making them susceptible to attacks for a limited period.

Offence

Railgun Kit: Start Every life with Railgun and some ammo equipped

Tactical

Static Shock – Basic: EMP causes minor damage to enemies in addition to normal effects
Static Shock – Elite: EMP causes high damage to enemies in addition to normal effects
Black Out: Duration of EMP effect on enemies increased
Efficiency – Basic: EMP cooldown reduced
Efficiency – Elite: EMP cooldown greatly reduced

Super Charged: Increased EMP radius and enemy rockets are disabled in mid-flight when hit by EMP

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Armand

Armand Upgrades

Special Ability: Armadillo Plating (Shield) – Extendable shield plating that causes enemy bullets to bounce back at the attackers.

Offence

Flame Thrower Kit: Start Every life with Flame Thrower and some ammo equipped

Tactical

Efficiency – Basic: Shield cooldown reduced
Efficiency – Elite: Shield cooldown greatly reduced
Rebound: Shield deflects enemy bullets and rockets back at the enemy for damage
Time Extension: Maximum Shield duration increased
Guarded Repair: Regenerate health over time while Shield is active
Ram Plate: Destroy small enemy vehicles when ramming them and no penalty when driving through buildings

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Gunnar

Gunnar Upgrades
Special Ability: Heavy Cannon – Extends heavy cannon that fires high velocity, armour piercing rounds causing extreme damage. Vehicle cannot move while active.

Offence

Tactical

Efficiency – Basic: Heavy Cannon cooldown reduced
Efficiency – Elite: Heavy Cannon cooldown greatly reduced
Power Hydraulics: Increased Heavy Cannon turret rotation speed
Explosive Rounds: Heavy Cannon causes additional splash damage to enemies near area of impact
Riot Shield: A shield protects against bullets from front while Heavy Cannon is active
Counter Shot: Heavy Cannon shots destroy enemy rockets in mid-flight

I hope this outline gives you a good idea of the depth of the upgrades available and shows how you can experience four different play-styles by trying every character, or playing the same character using different builds depending on your mood, or the composition of your team. The upgrades are not only there to make you more bad-ass, they are there to help you tailor your character to your preferred play-style. Ultimately though all four characters can be played balls-to-the-wall, and you’re never going to have enough time to sit back and take in the glorious scenery for too long.

Finally, if any of you are going to Gamescom this year you’ll be able to get the chance to try some of the game’s earlier levels by joining me at the Sony stand where we’ll be proudly displaying our wares. So come and find us, get your hands on the game, ask as many questions as you like, and prepare for Renegade Ops, and PSN PLAY. Hopefully I’ll see some of you there!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 12 Author replies
Show oldest first

Just Cause 2 made me a fan of these guys

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 8:07 am

The Avalanche guys are a great team, and it still impresses me daily just how great this game looks; from things like the depth of field, to the effort put into the explosions, it’s just a visual banquet.

now this game looks promising, unlike the street fighter alpha crap.

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Thanks dgnfly, we’re rather proud of it too.

As for the other PLAY titles, I think the line-up is a very good one, and I’m looking forward to playing all the other titles, though of course ours is the best ;)

This looks good. Properly good. Few questions if I may…

1)Is it 2 player same screen co-op or 2 player internet co-op, or both? Or I guess, more to the point it has got co-op in it hasnt it?

2)Whats the length of the game roughly…

3)What price are you asking? Or is it tbc?

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 8:00 am

You may indeed :) The game features local split-screen co-op, and online multiplayer for up to four players. Whilst this game is fantastic in single-player, it gets a great deal more awesome the more of you playing.

The game is roughly around 6 hours long for a single play-through, but you won’t be anywhere near max level for your chosen character.

The pricing has been confirmed, it’s £9.99 in the UK and €12.99 across Europe.

ps. apologies if any of those have been answered anywhere else…

3# You can see the price on the play section on the psn store.

All doh i think it was something like £11 and £9 for + members.

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that in my earlier comment – with the 20% Plus discount the game then becomes £7.99.

Good shout ;)

mattmanunited 15 August, 2011 @ 8:08 pm   6

Sony pull your thumb out of your as$ and fix the web browser, it is now impossible to watch anything on the 4od app because the web browser collapses and says “there is not enough memory. the window content was replaced with a blank page.”

Not enough things explode in that trailer.

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 8:03 am

You’re right, I think we’re in need of Inception depth explosions; an explosion within an explosion within an explosion.

I have always said the trees should explode as well, but nobody listens to me ;)

obiadekanobi1980 15 August, 2011 @ 9:19 pm   8

normally i see a PSN game and go meh…..

but this is looking damn awsome and will be a day 1 purchase for me pity about the sf game otherwise id have the lot off play but ill just be buying this ta very much maybe bloodrayne the other 2 offerd look [DELETED]…

anyhoo kebby nice to hear from your fingers again hows the SEGA job better or worse?? answer that 1 then lol

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Glad this is a non-meh game in your eyes then ;)

The SEGA job is of course awesome thanks (the boss might be reading so better play nice) :D

@6
Moaning about something not relating to this topic isn’t exactly going to get you a decent browser. Moan elsewhere not here as you won’t get a response.

jakster123x 15 August, 2011 @ 9:41 pm   10

Well, Mike, you were certainly right about the explosions. They are both awesome and frequent! ;)

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Frequential explosions FTW! (Yes I just made up a word, that’s how awesome this game has made me)!!

@hjm50

he just frustrated that sony never listens 2 fans and you can´t blame him. they ingnore us from left 2 right

Skookie30 16 August, 2011 @ 8:51 am   12

Good morning Mike-face it good to see you rise up & early & posted today,…….

pity the store update you once posted was wait :P

on-topic today at gamescom will you be there & will R-ops be shown at the event? :)

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Always a pleasure to post and comment here, no matter what time it is :D

Renegade Ops will indeed be playable at Gamescom, you can see it in action for yourself on the Sony stand.

Catkiller1 16 August, 2011 @ 9:33 am   13

@ Mike

Hope you’re well fella :)

Just wanted to say that this title looks like alot of fun.

It reminds me of a game called “Jackal” but obviously back then the game was very limited, but very addictive!

Can’t wait.

Also to POST NUMBER 8: Give Baconing a chance as Deathspank was a very good game & you won’t be disappointed ;)

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

Good thanks Catkiller1!

It does remind me of Jackal too, there are also parts that’ll remind you of the seminal Strike series of games too I should imagine :)

Shou_Kobayashi 16 August, 2011 @ 11:40 am   14

man… I really wanted to lay off twinstick shooters … but this trailer is very persuasive… I mean the only thing I missed si far was bacon, but hothead is covering this ground…

A question though. What is the different to the lot of the other ts-shooters?

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

The driving is incredibly fun, the level terrain is brilliant fun to navigate, the weapon and upgrades are versatile, and it’s just an insane amount of explosive fun.

I did mention fun right? It’s very fun ;)

Skookie30 16 August, 2011 @ 11:49 am   15

Thanks To bad I‘m still stuck here In UK….
:( (Sad panda) & (face like a upside down bottom)

have fun at gamescom folks, 2 small question though the gamescom site says the 17th that tomorrow so why sony pressi today?

when will konami be at gamescom?

stewiejames 16 August, 2011 @ 1:24 pm   17

hey Mike
are you looking forward to bleach soul resurreccion?

stewiejames 16 August, 2011 @ 1:42 pm   18

yes I can’t wait its a shame you can’t play as renji though

Catkiller1 16 August, 2011 @ 1:46 pm   19

Why is my previous post awaiting moderation?? haven’t said anything negative or rude??!! I can only see it when I sign in :(

Skookie30 16 August, 2011 @ 2:28 pm   20

@Catkiller1 that often happens to me too.

i think the Mods are on a power trip.

Catkiller1 16 August, 2011 @ 3:16 pm   21

Hi Skookie,
About 5 mins after I sent that post my moderation post appeared……funny that!!??

It was post 13 & as you can see nothing wrong with it. May have been, that I mentioned another game perhaps?

@Mike Kebby

gotta say most PLAY title´s aren´t bad only problem i have is with capcoms stratagy first they release MVC3 then 3 month later UMVC3 with extra characters and content that won´t be DLC for player who have MVC3 get my point why i think street fighter is crap

any suprising sega title´s coming in the future?

Mike Kebby 16 August, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Now if I were to talk about any surprise SEGA titles they wouldn’t stay a surprise would they ;)

We’ve always got something up our sleeves, don’t you worry.

Catkiller1 16 August, 2011 @ 4:33 pm   23

@ dgnfly

I get your point but you can’t compare it to SF3 as it’s a digital title & the only thing that they will do is probably release further DLC.

I’m annoyed like you though as I purchased SF4 then SSF4 was released then SSF4AE. I mean come on!!?!? Talk about milking it!

To be fair though, back in the day there were numerous releases of Street Fighter 2.

It annoys me when you purchase costume packs & you can tell that they were originally on the disc, due to the size of the download.

CAPCOM are worse than Activision, Infinity Ward & Treyarch IMO!

Shou_Kobayashi 16 August, 2011 @ 5:50 pm   24

Are there boss battloes in there, too. Sorry for the lot of questions… but something I miss on many TW-Shooters are Epic boss Battles that make up for the repetetive amount of BLOWING STUFF UP.