Posted 5:00pm

The Weekend Debate: Retro gaming – where do you stand?

thin Blog-banner-weekend-debate

UPDATE: Good evening all – it’s time to announce this week’s Debate winners. The following posters each get a copy of Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for PS Vita: NoFate-1982-UK (post 43), Wyvern_777 (86), DoYouLikeMyID (62), Martin_Silenus (123) and happymedic (129). We’ll send a PM to your account over on the official forums to arrange delivery. Thanks to everyone for taking part – see you all again on Friday!

ORIGINAL POST: First up, apologies that there was no Weekend Debate last week – circumstances conspired against me. Anyway, we’re back on track today.

So, your topic for discussion this week. Whenever we post about a re-release of an old title or a new game that’s heavily inspired by “retro” gaming, many commenters are delighted to see developers tip their hat to the past, while others complain that they’d rather play more contemporary titles on their high-spec hardware.

Today’s questions then:

Do you play retro or retro-inspired titles? If yes, what is it about nostalgic games that keeps you coming back? If no, why not?

To mark the impending arrival of both Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge on PS3 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on PS Vita, we’ve got five copies of Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus on PS Vita to award to the most entertaining or thoughtful respondents. Good luck!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

143 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Mayernator87 8 February, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   1

I still enjoy playing the first game i ever got to play on our first “serious” console. Sonic the hedgehog on our beloved Sega Mega Drive Model 1.

I play them because i find them fun. Its a weird concept to describe. Sure they might not LOOK as great as todays near cgi quality games do, but they have their charm.

I love the bright graphics, the 16bit music, and the gameplay. THESE are the reasons as to why i do not hesitate in booting up the old Sega and having a marathon session. I still also play the PSOne from time to time as well.

bidbaldwolf86 8 February, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   2

I love retro gaming on any platform but I’m only going as far as PS1 for retro at the moment thanks to the Vita but I generally love the older SNES and Mega Drive games. Streets of Rage, Altered Beast and Sonic were all great. The obvious Mario was great on the SNES with Bomberman being an old favourite.

Graphics don’t mean good games and the fact that a lot of these older games still hold up today is a testament to that.

Chocobo115 8 February, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   3

I like to take out my NES or Sega Mega Drive a few times a year to play some of the older games I was struggeling with as a kid and see how far I can go. It amazes me that I still remember where most secret items are and different boss strategies.
I also enjoy the challenge of the older games. You have a set of life and/or continues. If you lose them all you start from the start of the game again. Having that pressure makes it more rewarding beating a tough boss of pulling of a tough (section of a) level than it can be today with all the checkpoints in games.
On the other hand games has better stories today than back then, when you had to read in the manual to figure what was going on in the game. :)

i am a retro gamer and i lover retro games.

i still love when games like final fight, street fighter 2, castlevania, mega man and things like that come out on psn and other platforms.
i loved retro inspired titles such as mega man 9 and 10 and scott pilgrim so id say im a retro gamer.

the reason i love retro games is partly nostalgia as i love the fact that i can now beat games i never could as a child.
partly the look as i love pixel art :)
partly the difficulty games used to be hard and provide a challenge they never just chucked unlimited lives at you and auto saving check points.

i love retro games and retro collections :)

No I don’t play retro titles much at all. I played Alien Breed (PSM version) recently which is the best out of a few I have played and it’s OK.

The problem is I started off with a SNES and loved it to bits, then a Sega Saturn, then a PS1, PS2, PS3 and so now I’m so used to modern gaming that an old top down shooter doesn’t entertain me much, not even on the go. Partly it is down to me expect new standards, once I’m in to the PS4, I could look back at the PS3 and see some nice games that remind of younger days. The other part is that I have grown up, when I played Super Mario 3 I was seven, now I’m nearly 21 and more interested in the art, sound and stories which have become more sophisticated in this 7th generation. Super Mario 3 is now to me just a simple platformer which is good, it just doesn’t grab my fancy any more.

Coming from the era that saw the first big surge in Videogames (yes, I am that old!) I guess part of the appeal for me with retro games is to relive my past. However, there is no doubt that games are a lot different now compared to the 70s and 80s and there are still a lot of things developers could learn from some of the old classics out there.

I think that part of the draw for me is that many of these older games came from the minds of individuals who were not pushed by a big corporation in to creating something for a mass market, but who were (often literally) bedroom coders who were really just making something for the fun of it. Would we have seen games like Jet Set Willy in this day and age? Probably not.

But lets not forget that retro means different things to different people. Some of our younger Playstation compatriots would see Playstation 1 as retro. Games like the first Wipeout would be retro to them. I do still love going back to these sort of games too, because they define our heritage and shaped our present. Where would we be without Doom, Tomb Raider and Ridge Racer? We wouldn’t have ended up with Call of Duty, Uncharted or..er…Ridge Racer 7 today, that’s for sure,

Personally I don’t, I used to when I first got my PS3. I’d to see more remasters of PS2 games, if not I’d like to see more of the popular classic PS1/PS2 games on the store. But that might seem irrelevant if there will be Gaikai streaming on PS4.

extermin8or_ 8 February, 2013 @ 5:39 pm   8

I do from time to time play retro games, although I think retro is a slightly subjective term so games like mario, sonic zelda, metroid etc are all retro however I consider games I played as a kid like Crash (PS1 games), Spyro (insomniacs trilogy) and even Rachet and Clank to be retro games as I played them as a kid. The reason to replay them or play their newer throwbacks are because it reminds you of how you felt when you played it as a kid. Scooby Doo and the phantom virus or whatever it was called was a pretty poor game tbh- wasn’t that great a film either but it’s still great to play because it reminds you of that feeling of just fun you had as a kid. Rachet and Clank Q force is worth so much more than the 7/10s it’s been getting because when I play it I am reminded of the time spent playing R&C3 at my mates in multiplayer-Rayman: Origins or the ps1 games and PS2 games remind me of the 1st time I ever played Playstation, when I first got one and just how fun I found playing video games :)

ExtremeGamer1995 8 February, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   9

I started gaming at the end of the original playstation I never really played the really retro games. I’m now doing a games design course and part of that course is looking back at older games. My lecturer also has all the old consoles which he brings in and swaps other every week! The one game thats infected a small portion of our class is the very first mortal kombat on the sega megadrive as well as being great fun it also causes so many arguments because theres so many exploits, the main one is leg sweep but Raidens flying thing is the worst. I’ve also downloaded the arcade games on the PS home thing on vita and have found out I suck at almost all of them (stuck on the first level for everything).

The best bit about retro games are the mechanics are so raw and basic, it definatly helps with my course learning about animation we googled all the old games like prince of persia and Mortal kombat. I’m trying all the retro games but I can’t pretend I don’t prefer modern games, but for educational purposes the retro games are perfect.

There’s 2 things I love about retro gaming:

The first is that many old games were just simple mindless pick up and play fun. When I get home from work I love just switching a console on and playing 15 minutes of good old Sonic/Mario/Whatever, rather than have to go through an hour’s preparation, menus, settings and loading before I get to do a bloody race in GT5 (for example).

The second is that many old games come from a time when I could not afford 5-10 games a month (!), or there weren’t that many games being released as now, so I played each and every game I had to death. So much so that memories of a particular game have been mixed up in my mind with memories from an entire period of my life. Playing these old games brings back all sorts of other memories, like a kind of travel back in time.

supersmith2500 8 February, 2013 @ 5:48 pm   11

What an awesome debate:

You know I myself also loves retro gaming as well and I own these consoles which are NES, SNES, Mega Drive, N64, Master System and of course other retro systems that some people forgot such the Atari Jaguar and the Sega’s failed add-on for the Mega Drive, Mega-CD. Now I grew up with both Master System and Super Nintendo and used to love playing on them and even PC-DOS gaming as well.

Also for the re-releases, depends how the companies re-release their own games whatever it’s good or bad. If it’s a perfect port, I play on it, if not then I play the original version.

The prime example of retro greatness is Final Fantasy. I rate those entries before part VII, far higher than anything that came afterwards.

The major reasons for that:

1. The character graphics(called them “Kopffüssler”) were far more charming. A little wink, nudge or and other gesture of those tiny characters, meant far more to me than anything that those later 3D rendered stupid spike heads could achieve.

2. Simpler graphics also resulted in a bigger & better world.
Nowadays game development is limited by how much work can be done by level artists etc. etc. Budget and time restrict far more what can be done.

A similar truth can be witnessed for modern games, especially on the PC. Many indies with simple (16bit) graphics triumph in gameplay aspects.

So my nostalgia is not really related to “older is better”, but more about complex structures in modern game production standing in the way of innovative game play. That doesn’t even include bigger budgets resulting in productions taking fewer risks, which comes on top of that.

Oh, I might also mention that I enjoy playing those PSOne RPGs far more on my Vita, than on the PS3. And not only because the Vita lacks games. ;)

RossyWilson 8 February, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   13

Im all for remakes and what not. But for god sake dont downgrade a game to make it seem ‘retro’. There has been a trend recently of fans making 8-bit versions of thier favourite games which i personally dont see the point. Why would anyone play a game that is worse than the original version.
I personally think devs should just work on a modern, new game inspired by older generations, like how limbo is like the 2d platformers of old but modern at the same time.

The game that fills my nostalgia meter every time i play it is SPACE INVADERS, I still remember that time my dad took me to a arcade, I still remember how I looked at those arcade cabinets as if they were from the future…

Today I still play SPACE INVADERS ANNIVERSARY with my dad every time i visit him in his PS2, It’s like our own thing and it brings us together and makes me remember my youth, oh my youth…

As a 40 year old who has watched the evolution of gaming from Pong there are 3 main things that are essential, gameplay, fun and addictiveness (the ‘just 1 more go’ factor).
As they were working with very limited resources, these 3 things were what made the most sense for developers to concentrate on.
I can quite happily go back and play ‘retro’ games as the main reason for playing games is entertainment. Obviously, these days, graphics help tremendously in helping to immerse you in the game but they are by no means any more important than gameplay and fun.

Carnivius_Prime 8 February, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   16

I’m not gonna type too much because I could go on all day about what I prefer about ‘retro’ games (meaning the 8 and 16 bit era) over modern games (for example carefully crafted sprites, actually memorable tunes, not so much of the lengthy boring cutscenes or games thinking they’re movies).

What I do hate is when a modern game tries so hard to be ‘retro’ and gets it so very wrong. I loathe the Scott Pilgrim game. It’s a horrible obnoxious nightmare of a game of what modern day trendy, teenage, internet-meme obsessed, wannabe-geeks think the 16 bit era was about. Double Dragon Neon on the other hand did a far better job of putting me back there in the 80′s (looking past the 3D polygon characters) where games were simpler, fun, had catchy tunes to hum along to while you rack up the kills and points. Games tended to be colors other than brown and gray back then unlike most shooters today (Uncharted excepted cos ND do great color schemes)

One thing I do like about playing retro games on newer hardware is the extra features the game may not have had on it’s native hardware such as saves, online multiplayer and leaderboards. For me those things give extra replayabilty to old games.

My first game was Dragon’s Lair on NES. I was two-three years old and never got past first screen – or past first trap, so I never reached even that gate. I had to buy the real Dragon’s Lair due that, I’m glad it’s in PS Store. I still collect and play NES-games – I skipped 16-bit era and PSX’s Crash Bandicoots were my next step. Been PS-gamer since then, thanks to Naughty Dog.

aaronwalkeruk 8 February, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   18

I had great fun on my Megadrive and Gamegear and like another poster mentioned, as I didnt get games that often I would play the ones I had to death, some I dont think I finished as they were quite hard. I then moved to the PS1 and Crash Bandicoot and Wipeout 2097 were my first games. After about a year or so I pulled my Gamegear out again thinking “well I play 3D games now and complete them, my old 2D games must be rather easy now”. WRONG, they still offer a challenge and great fun to this day. The sonic games even have their own folder on my XMB

Carnivius_Prime 8 February, 2013 @ 6:00 pm   19

@13 Who says an 8-bit version of game would be worse? It might be that making a game simpler makes it more accessible and fun and enjoyable. And don’t compare Limbo to any of the great old 2D platformers. They tended to be fun. Limbo was dullness.

Carnivius_Prime 8 February, 2013 @ 6:01 pm   20

Oh and I should mention I have several Retro directories on my PS3 for all sorts. Mega Drive, Neo Geo, the SNK Arcade Minis, arcade games such as Simpsons and Final Fight. I just wish there were much, much more. I love having my PS3 as an all in one that play games of today and games of the past.

TequilaUK 8 February, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   21

Retro gaming will always be apart of who I am and it has also made me into the gamer that I am today! It’s impossible to forget those old memories of playing the SNES and battling it out on Mario Kart battle mode with your siblings. Or being absolutely blown away at the fact that you could actually play Street fighter II, an arcade cabinet title at home!

I believe it’s the fun and enjoyment that we remember having that brings us back for more, just so we can have that feeling all over again. And going back to the roots of gaming shows us just how much it has evolved over the years.

Retro gaming will always be what has defined gaming for me.

TheGrattman 8 February, 2013 @ 6:04 pm   22

Most of my favourite games are now retro, I still think the original Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games are amazing. I was playing Spyro 2 yesterday wishing there would be a HD trilogy of the first 3 games. I think the problem with too many games now is that they’re either FPS or they try to be too be overly complicated, you can’t just pick up and play them. Another favourite Retro game of mine is The Secret Of Monkey Island, it’s a shame because I don’t think there are enough games with a good sense of humour anymore. I’m excited that platform games are sort of making a comeback for example the new Sly Cooper game that I cannot wait for! Also I still think Crash Team Racing is one of the best kart racers…. HD remake…. Please?

I’m going to go against the current and say no. I do not like retro games. I might be a bit biased, as I am much too young to have experienced games like Space Invaders and Pong when they were new.

I think gaming has constantly been evolving since it’s inception, and because of this, I don’t think we should spend too much time looking back.

Having the choice between playing a NES game or a PS3 game is like choosing if you want to take a raft from France to Britain, or if you want to take a cruise ship.

I like old Sega games very much. I remember that time when I played them with my brother, with my school friends. It was a long time ago. You know, it’s like diving – once you’re in, you’ll never quit. You can’y forget the smell of ComixZone pages and the war screams from Golden Axe.
These games are Games for real.

MONTENERO 8 February, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   25

The most important part of games for me is gameplay. Many retro games’ game-play simply hasn’t been bested yet, thus I play them.
Graphics don’t matter much. I recently got a demo of PC game Giana Sisters – it has beautiful 3d graphics, but lacks in gameplay. Super Mario Bros is so much better whilst being in 2d.
I am quite disappointed, personally, at the lack of proper 2d platformers on PSN.
Recently I enjoyed a PSN mini “Feisty Feet” – it had very precise controls and fast-paced gameplay, but the game is short. Would love to see it on Vita/PS3 with multiplayer.
I must say, though, that I dislike new indie games that are calling themselves “retro”, e.g. Retro City Rampage – absolutely rubbish gameplay.

MONTENERO 8 February, 2013 @ 6:14 pm   26

@Carnivius_Prime
Totally agree with you! Limbo, Braid and other indie platformers play much *worse* than proper retro 2d platformers.
The only good indie platformer is Super Meat Boy in my book.

pickled01 8 February, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   27

I don’t usually play the older generation games, mostly due to the reduced functionality of the games and lack of decent graphics, so I tend to leave them be, most of the time…
Sometimes every month or so I feel the need to bring out my old PS1 or Game boy (sorry PlayStation!) to reminisce and bring back old childhood memories of Pokemon Silver and Spyro – Year of The Dragon. Games like these just bring back happy memories and are just so joyful and innocent that it’s impossible to ignore!

I do play them and tend to really enjoy them too. To me it’s not quite the nostalgia or the trip down memory lane part that pulls me over, but the way it’s a creative decision. Retro City Rampage for instance is not only cool because it references all those famous and less famous classics, but also because it tells us something about how gaming was years ago compared to what it is today. That theme works only in 8 bit and couldn’t be conveyed in wonderfull HD-graphics.

So I look at it as I look at ‘The Artist’, that wonderfull silent, black and white, 4:3 movie that won the Oscar so deservingly. Using ‘the old ways’ as a creative way to tell the story even beter…

Solid_Snake1987 8 February, 2013 @ 6:36 pm   29

I do go back to my old games from when I grew up, obviously for the nostalgia factor but also because a lot of them are just simply great games.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in the 90s and also have access to a few consoles from before I was born. This means that I’ve seen the evolution of games from simple mono-chromic games on old Ataris and Commodores to the blockbusters we have now on our PS3s, but there is an era I hold dear to my heart, a golden era in video games and that’s the 8-bit and 16-bit era where 2D gaming reached its pinnacle.

The controls were so precise and the graphics were (for the time) amazing. Heck most still look good today. There might have been fewer buttons on the controllers and they also too lacked the analogue sticks we have today, but those games ran with pixel precision and any time you failed (and I did – a lot) it wasn’t the game’s fault – it was yours. No blaming lag for your death I can tell you, unless you were one of the few that could make Sonic fly off the screen because you were going so fast of course.

Solid_Snake1987 8 February, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   30

As for the classic games there’s obviously the Mario’s and Sonic’s that everyone waxes lyrical about, but there are so many other classics from that time that are just as good to play now as they were then. The likes of Speedball, Rock N’ Roll Racers, Smash TV, the countless Disney movie tie-ins (which were great games!), Bubble Bobble… It’s no wonder why so many are being remade or given a fresh HD sheen to bring them to a new younger audience.

There are in my opinion a few reasons to look back to older games. To see where we’ve come from, to see the first uses of certain techniques and the emergences of genres, but there is one more important and is at the heart of why we game in the first place – to look back on the fun we had. It’s not always possible, but in those special rare cases when you do rediscover it, you’ll often find it to be better than the fun you have with any of the latest games. But who knows? Give it 20 years and maybe we’ll look back on this generation with the same affection we show the 8-bit and 16 bit eras. That’s if the machines don’t gain sentience and rise up against of course, but at least we’ll have a lifetime’s worth of gaming know how to fight back with by then!

ducky1549 8 February, 2013 @ 6:44 pm   31

I play most of my retro games over my PS3 due to the retro games having a more challenging difficulty, games these days are more about how good the graphics are and that kinda robs us of the length a retro game has, these days you can complete games easy (usually in a few hours) with hardily no challenge and a very short story line (example: star wars force unleashed 2,call of duty black ops 1+2 and a lot of other games, you know which 1′s that are :P) retro games have a more harder difficulty and not much in a way to save the game so you need to start again if you give up,switch off or die(really frustrating on none save games and your near the end like Alex the Kidd on Master System :P).

R3dC3llTran3 8 February, 2013 @ 6:54 pm   32

I’m not at my most articulate tonight, but I’ll try. It’s mostly to do with I just enjoy the way games used to be made. It does, however, have some to do with not being crazy about some of today’s games. In some ways, a lot of games today feel more like interactive movies than actual games. This has to do with the state-of-the-art graphics, orchestra-quality music, and 3D aspect. Not saying this is necessarily BAD, just not so game-like. Then, when you consider that some games have you play a little, then cut scene, then play a little more, it plays more to the feeling of it being an interactive movie. I also find today’s games less accessible and easy to get into. There are patches to download before playing, lengthy tutorials, complex button combinations. It tends to make a game tedious. When they become tedious, they’re no longer fun. And video games are supposed to be fun.

R3dC3llTran3 8 February, 2013 @ 6:56 pm   33

Of course, I come from a far simpler time, when there was a joystick and (maybe) a couple of buttons. I was born a few months before the Atari 2600 even came out. I’ve found that the more complex you make games, the less fun they are. The shorter the learning curve, the sooner you can really get involved in the game. Hard to have fun when you’re trying to remember a sequence of button presses to pull off a certain action. When you just have a direction pad to move, a button to jump, and a button to fire, you’re ready for action immediately. There’s also a charm and magic to yesterday’s games that feels missing anymore. Difficult to explain. I like the artistic designs of character sprites, and uniqueness of level layouts/design. And chiptunes are just such an interesting, captivating sound, unlike anything else! And gameplay of retro games is still second to none, in my book.

There are many current games I like, and I know I’ll like future games! But, the more games have evolved, the more I feel they’ve devolved.

I think one of the earliest console I can remember having at home was the Atari 2600. I loved playing Skateboarding and Pitfall and River Raid (lol I can hear the ding, ding, ding, ding of the refuelling). Retro games werent about graphic or even gameplay for me they were about going to your mates for tea or having them round at yours. That is why I tend not to play retro games anymore as I prefer to remember them as they were.

Farhad_Khan_ 8 February, 2013 @ 7:03 pm   35

Snake, the most hardcore game ever. Period.

ryannumber3gamer 8 February, 2013 @ 7:04 pm   36

Personally i would say as games get older, they do become retro by a little bit. Now i would play some of the classic Sonic games usually on the Sonic Gems Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, or the Sega mega drive ultimate collection. But personally i would go more towards 3D games like Crash,Sonic Adventure1 & 2,Spyro,Sly (The first 3 games), Ratchet & Clank (Again the first 3 games and Ratchet Gladiator),Jak 1,2,3 and Jak X. Also a interesting thing is that Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale introduced me to some old Playstation characters like PaRappa and Spike and got me interested in their series. PaRappa is always good to play 1 or 2 stages because of the catchy music. Crash 3 is a classic PS1 game. Jak 3, Ratchet & Clank 3, and Sly 2 Band of Thieves are my top 3 PS2 games and it always great replaying them along with the rest of their series. I like HD Remakes and Collections because it gives you reason to go back and replay games like Sly to get trophies and it’s great for people who are interested into getting into some series of games.

Oh my, when it comes to retro gaming, I still recall my good old PS (i had the first, gray fat model). I lived through my early childhood with this device :). Playing those Crash Bandicoot games was really a blast. I mostly played it with my best friend and we were swapping the controller after death or level. But that poor machine had its own health problem and froze time to time. So while one of us was playing, the other one was waving with something (mostly newspapers) towards the console to cool it. We had to do so much effort to even be able to play, that we enjoyed the game itself even more afterwards :) When the overheating became so strong that even the fan didnt help, my father took it to the service where it got repaired. Then, when we were finally able to play both at once, our new favorite game became Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (which i would really love to see in PSN :) ). We mastered every single character in the game, unlocked everything possible and had so much fun doing it. And then it came. One day, my PS just died :( They told me that it was repairable, but it would be too expansive, and since I already had PS2, I had no need to do it. R.I.P my good old friend, it was a bumpy, but awesome ride :D

I have a retro corner upstairs in the bedroom (with an old CRT telly). I played the SNES Chrono Trigger recently & revisited the first RPG I ever played on NES(Crystalis).

My set up includes, Atari 2600 (Bezerk mostly), SNES, Megadrive/Genesis, NES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, N64 & original xbox. I also have a MAME emulator because no ones life is complete without Amidar. Old PC games as well (still have my copy of American McGees Alice & I’ve moved continents).

My first console was an Atari 2600 (when they first came out) & first handheld was a Merlin so I’ve been playing video games for a really long time. What I most love about retro gaming is no updates. I really hate having an update on a game before I can even play it. Remember when games were released that didn’t need a day 1 fix?

I prefer retro gaming because it was game geeks back then & more niche titles would be released (Mr. Moskeeto, Chulip), now gaming is mainstream & has become rather homogenized. Game companies don’t take risk like they use to.

ESPGANESAIII 8 February, 2013 @ 7:18 pm   39

Retro gaming has a special place in my heart because it stapled my favourite game series for for me, Castlevania.

Games were alot harder back then as some have mentioned, i don’t want to recall the frustration i had with games like Simons quest and Ninja Gaiden. I think some of the best games i own are from the Sega Saturn to Dreamcast era. Lots of games now seem to have lost that special something that makes games as addictive as they were, i’ve taken my nostalgia goggles off many a time only to see that the game industry just isnt what it was. I have more games for my Sega Saturn than i do any other console i own.

I LOVE Retro games :P My favorite game ever still is ‘Bubble Bobble’ :D
I really wish(& have been asking on this site & every other site over the past year) there was every old-school(Original versions of) Arcade game on PSN like – Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Scramble, Dig Dug, GalaXian, Galaga, Bubble Bobble, Rally X, Pole Position, Rainbow Islands, ExZisus, Phoenix, Return of the Invaders, Frogger, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Pang, Bombjack, Arkanoid ,Tetris…etc etc :P (some are now on PSN) ;)

Retro is such an overused term these days. It is subjective to the individual asked. I have worked with people who feel that the PSone is retro (making me feel old in the process), where as I class the Spectrum and NES as my retro consoles. I often find myself playing games from my past but I am usually turned away by new games that claim to have a ‘retro style’.
Take Zack Zero for example, it promoted itself as an old school platform game but ultimately it was lacking in spirit. It proved that just having the gameplay style wasn’t enough. These days I prefer newer games that have had worked poured in from many passionate developers not copy cat outfits that are looking to make a quick pound.

im having a retro moment as my laser on my ps3 has gone kaput.so its ps1 games ive downloaded at the minute from plus.

NoFate-1982-UK 8 February, 2013 @ 8:04 pm   43

I love classic game, the memories alone are great. But some have great stories. Some modem games loose there way and the classic are all you have left. I love the HD collections, they let me share my childhood with my son. I as think the Alien Breed that Team17 is a great example, they didn’t go for the quick cheap option of releasing a classic, the made it greater by adding cross play and online multiplay.

Some great classic could be improved just by adding online game play. I’d give body parts to see a Time Splitters with online multiplayer and map creator. I’d like to see MGS1 HD, Onimusha HD collection, Resident Evil 1-3 & Veronica X, Point blank 1&2……. My list is endless so I will stop now.

Nazar_Ops 8 February, 2013 @ 8:08 pm   44

I love retro games. They take me back to the good old days where people listened to 8-bit music and played those arcade games. One of the latest games that i’ve played was Retro City Rampage. It was really fun, to see the 8-bit graphics and listen to the funky retro songs.

Oh i almost forgot. I also don’t mind playing Tetris. Now that’s a good classic 8-bit game.

I would love if developers released more 8-bit games, than the boring FPS games we get each year. We haven’t.

Nazar_Ops 8 February, 2013 @ 8:10 pm   45

That we get each year. We haven’t got a single retro game released todday except Retro City Rampage*

I love retro games, when it’s about games that deserve to be loved. Playing Bomberman is great, and I can keep going back to it, but will it hold my attention as long as Far Cry 3? No, it won’t. However, after completing Far Cry 3, I doubt I will keep going back to it, but I don’t know yet.
A lot of the time we talk about retro gaming meaning new games but with old style graphics, such as Retro City Rampage. I don’t see this as a retro game as the NES or other systems around that time, would not have been able to cope with all the features in the game. Another example would be Dwarf Fortress, which uses ASCII graphics (can’t get much more retro than that) but can still pull modern computers to their knees in terms of processing, once you have a large fortress.

All in all, retro games are fun and have their place but modern games are also pretty damn amazing and can certainly hold their own. I feel fully immersed in Dwarf Fortress, Proteus and Far Cry 3, but if I’m looking for a quick kick, I’ll jump to Frogger or Time Pilot with Playstation Home Arcade.

I don’t like retro inspired games unless they absolutely must have this theme to make sense. Otherwise it’s just a money saving way for developers. That’s the way I see it.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing if they really need to bypass that next gen development process to be able to create their games. Seeing a good game with old graphics is better than not seeing it at all. That being said, if possible they should aim for better visuals, because retro can’t be better than what can be achieved today in capable hands by any means.

sithknight666 8 February, 2013 @ 8:31 pm   48

Ah man I love retro games, my first platinum was for the Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection and I even bought the USA import to do it again for the Genesis Collection. I wish they did more. I buy the Sega Vintage games and any other retro ones from the store,apart from hang-on as that was too expensive. The first few games I bought from the ps store was turtles and outrun.both now at 100% :-) I was really upset when I learnt they cancelled the Road Rash remake, but i was disappointed with the latest Double Dragon. I love it all from Metroid to knights of the round, Columns to yie ar Kung fu. Making me want to get my Bbc Micro from the attic! But then I might upset the other half as the dreamcast and gamecube is already set up! Just have to stick to the emulators for now :-)

Black-xpto 8 February, 2013 @ 8:37 pm   49

hi.
i love to play some retro games simply because it reminds me my childhood…

the times i got home after school, had launch made by my grandmother and spent the afternoon playing…

the times of innocence and joy of getting a game for present (that feeling never really come back when we get older)..

those nights playing games whit friends at home..
it feels like i am time traveling to those days. love it!!!

AlexPSN89 8 February, 2013 @ 8:44 pm   50

@ SCEE & everyone (part 1/3):

I rarely find myself lurking on the PS Blog outside of Wednesdays, but for the same reasons I come here every time the store updates, I logged in as soon as I noticed this very interesting post.

So, retro titles, huh. As I mentioned before, I’m both a Nintendo and a Sony gamer and, suffice to say, I strongly support digital rereleases on both companies’ platforms ever since the Wii’s “Virtual Console” service debuted. Prior to that, my only way to replay old titles was pretty much emulation… but actually being able to legally purchase them once again, therefore making me feel more motivated to actually play the game until completion, mage me realize they’re not just “old games”. They are simply games, valid now as they “used to be”, as more cynical folks would put it.

Load all