Posted 2:37am

LittleBigPlanet 3 is coming soon to PS4

Debut trailer introduces Sackboy’s new friends, OddSock, Swoop, and Toggle

Greetings everyone! After keeping our lips sealed for such a long time I’m pleased to finally be able to tell you what we’ve been up to in the imaginative world of LittleBigPlanet. Today we announced that LittleBigPlanet 3 is coming to PlayStation 4 this November!

Sackboy is back and for the first time ever joined by three new friends – OddSock, Swoop, and Toggle. Each one of these new playable characters has unique abilities, which brings new dynamic gameplay and expands the inventive possibilities in Create mode.

LBP3-E3screen016

These three all-new hand-stitched heroes will completely change the way you play…

• Bound up and over walls as the quick and agile OddSock!
  • Glide through the skies as the majestic Swoop!
  • Transform Toggle between Big Toggle, a heavy strongman and Little Toggle, a light speedster who can walk across water!

All the new characters are, like Sackboy, fully customizable and there will be plenty of quirky new costumes to collect in the game so you can express your own individuality.

Speaking of Sackboy – what about him? Well, our favorite knitted knight has been equipped with an all-new climbing ability and loads of brand-new power-ups including the amazing Pumpinator!

You’ll need the power of all four of these heroes as you explore all corners of the Imagisphere, meet the inhabitants of the mysterious planet Bunkum and face the nefarious Newton as he attempts to destroy a world filled with creativity.

And there is a sack-ton more; we’ve added even more features and are excited to tell you all about them in the months to come. As a kick off, we’ve added creative layers for increased depth in the game world so Sackboy and friends can now jump in and out of the screen right before your eyes, climb up stairs, skate down slides and zip-line on a puffy sponge! Getting to see some of the new gameplay in action is the best way to show you what’s new, so we’re excited to share with you this exclusive trailer we made to celebrate the announcement of LittleBigPlanet 3:

We hope this gives you an idea of the endless surprises that await you LittleBigPlanet 3. If that wasn’t enough, we’ve also made the millions of inventive levels generated within the LittleBigPlanet community so far to all work on PlayStation 4. There’s over 8.5 million, which you can enjoy from Day 1 and they all look better than ever on PS4.

And if you’re feeling inspired, flex your creative muscles with a whole bunch of new tools and tweaks which will allow the creators among you to create fresh experiences for the rest of the community to enjoy.

LBP3 is an excellent showcase for PS4, featuring innovative support for the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller, stunning 1080p graphics and the ability to broadcast creations and gameplay clips with a touch of the SHARE button.

This is just a glimpse at some of the surprising new things in LittleBigPlanet 3. We can’t wait to tell you more later!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

60 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Retro-Boy99 10 June, 2014 @ 2:50 am   1

OMG…Really!!!!! -THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

cant belive this. 365 days since you announced Little Big Planet HUB and u come with this now? im really frustrated and disappointed. Is LBP HUB for ps3 canceled? they didnt say nothing in the 25 Free to play games they announced for the next 12 months…. guys Y-Y

GrytEcHoG 10 June, 2014 @ 7:02 am

Don’t get angry, they will surely bring the little big planet hub to PS3 and PS4 too soon. This LBP3 is meant for PS4 and known rumor even before this Little big planet Hub from a developer resume. They may show us LittleBigplanet Hub at Gamescom or asp. Sony doing their best, so try to support and encourage them.

tasklip8 10 June, 2014 @ 8:12 pm

@GrytEcHoG LBP Hub is probably a publicity stunt. Sony has made millions from PS4 and game sales. They don’t need to “try their best”. I’ll bet they just wanted to hype us up by saying that LBP Hub was coming, then announced LBP3 and hoped that everyone forgot about LBP Hub.

GrytEcHoG 11 June, 2014 @ 12:01 pm

@tasklip8, LBP3 is coming for PS3 too https://twitter.com/StevenIsbell/status/476405948609998848. Did you see how sony loves us? They wanted to go with LittbleBigplanet Hub to expand but for now they just wanted to give LBP3 to PS4 and PS3 with expanded tools, features etc., I always trust Sony and they will care Gamers and will give as far as i they can. Just support sony and you will never be disappointed with gamer.

procion 12 June, 2014 @ 6:03 am

Might be time to start saving up for a PS4 now that there are so many more titles coming out on that platforem if you don’t have one yet. Find a retailer that will allow you to pay one off or put 20 euros away each week in your room or bank account. The added bonus is PS4 is much cheaper than PS3 and PS2 were on launch on their launches.

Okay so how long do we have to wait for the vita version? A year? Double Eleven has done a damn fine work with LBP Vita so they should be given a load of cash to start porting it to PS VITA, because if I will have an option to buy the game for PS4 and play it using Remote Play why should I wait for the Vita version?

MaxDiehard 10 June, 2014 @ 8:48 am

Vita wouldn’t be able to handle this. LBPV already pushes the processing to its max.

HouseQuake 10 June, 2014 @ 6:07 am   4

This took me by massive surprise!!! Then announced a November release!!! How did you keep that one quiet?!

It was a one-two punch to show this and give us such a close release date…..and then you gave the KO punch with Bloodborne straight after…..madness.

Anyway, LBP was my fave franchise from the previous gen, but mainly for the creative aspect of it, so i would of liked to see what’s new in that area for LBP3. I’ve always wanted to do a first person creation in LBP and i’m banking on LBP3 to be the one that allows it.

dashkabublik456 10 June, 2014 @ 6:19 am   5

Oh no,Create LBP VITA 2!!GUYS WHERE’s PS3 LBP3 VERSION???

MaxDiehard 10 June, 2014 @ 8:46 am

PS3 Won’t be able to handle all the features and layers in this. It’s on PS4 for a reason.

Liamabob 10 June, 2014 @ 6:25 am   6

This has just made me even more curious as to what Media Molecule is working on…

Lightning_0608 10 June, 2014 @ 8:07 am   7

They can add as many cute new characters and abilities as they want, but my decision to buy or play LBP3 will be made by one simple thing: is it still narrated by Stephen Fry? That’s all I care about.

tasklip8 10 June, 2014 @ 8:03 pm

Or if it isn’t ruined by jerks. Or if you have a PS4. Or if it isn’t as good as it seems.

Nice surprise this one, coming November this year. Me and the wife spent hours playing the first 2 games together and she’s been upset there hasn’t been one (or a Modnation/lbp karts) released on ps4 yet.

davidchall1 10 June, 2014 @ 9:16 am   9

This made me smile, a lot.

joshfudge 10 June, 2014 @ 10:18 am   10

And now I have to buy a PS4 :)

Witcher70 10 June, 2014 @ 11:04 am   11

FINALLY !!! Little Big Planet 3 THANK YOU media Molecule I LOVE YOU {{BIG KISSES}}

dark_angel69 10 June, 2014 @ 11:06 am   12

I was very shocked to see this. Didn’t expect it at all. Very excited now!!! Altho I do prefer to play LittleBigPlanet on the Vita as it feels better and seems to belong with the Vita better than the home console. But will certainly be getting this! Can’t wait to see this bad boy on my PS4!

guylian 10 June, 2014 @ 11:40 am   13

Great news, I love the new characters and gameplay looks even crazier than LBP 2! :D

Will there be a beta available?

zlovkvetinaci 10 June, 2014 @ 12:20 pm   14

It is great. But where is LBP Hub?

ShadowGandalf 10 June, 2014 @ 12:55 pm   15

My big question is, can the game be played Single Player? With 4 characters now, does that mean that every level must be played in 4 player co-op? Is the single player experience no more? How does it work?

ShadowGandalf 10 June, 2014 @ 1:31 pm

One possibility that just came to mind would be to have Ai control the other 3, and the player can switch between them at will. That COULD work… though it could be awkward unless the Ai is really good.
    I’d just like to know how this will work for sure.

It would be cool if we could swap between the characters, only the ones that aren’t players of course.

AndreasAchilleos 10 June, 2014 @ 10:46 pm

I think it’ll be character swapping, if you watch the gameplay there’s always at least one character that can make it to the next area without help, so that’s my guess anyway

I nearly cried(of HAPPINESS) :D when i saw this game pop-up at E3 :P

+ i LOVE the new idea of the other 3 odd characters in it to. BRILLIANT Stuff SONY ;)

matdub69 10 June, 2014 @ 1:29 pm   17

I am looking forward to a nice tax return in July. Now I can sell my wife on the necessity of a PS4.

“Yes darling I know I have many many games, some still unplayed, on my Vita and PS3 but LBP 3 will provide an excellent opportunity to spend quality time with my children whom love all the LBP games…..except the karting one”

tasklip8 10 June, 2014 @ 8:00 pm

Haha. Witty. However, you’re going to have trouble.

1. The PSN is paid, so you won’t have access to Community levels unless you pay for PS Plus. Try hiding that from her when she checks the credit card history. The entire cost of one year of PS Plus (even more if you buy in separate 1 month cards) can buy you a popular, brand new game.
    2. The accessories are way overpriced. Say bye, bye to 180 dollars which is the cost of only 3 controllers for the “family” (better hope the “family” is small). Judging from some stuff shown in the trailer, you might need a move controller or some other proprietary garbage that Sony makes. Headset, forget it, unless you find one which can actually work with the PS4 or has a usb connector which fits in the usb ports on the PS4 which are conveniently halfway covered with stupid plastic and are so set in that you’d have to slide in the wire and hope the connector actually fits in the usb port if you have big fingers.
    3. You’ve read the story about how the mandatory “standby mode” of PS4 can use a lot of electricity and cost you over time, right? Hope your wife isn’t a diligent researcher.
    4. The LBP games are terribly neglected, from bad influences (cursing, advertising, emos, goths, weirdos), copying, harassment, etc, and if that happens, then you won’t be enjoying LBP with your family very much when the disc is broken and thrown away at the bottom of your wastebasket by the overprotective person of your household (your wife, I reckon).

Your best bet is to buy at Christmas and give it as a present to “everyone”. She definitely CAN’T stop you then.

procion 12 June, 2014 @ 6:06 am

Sell her for your needs of a PS4 for each of you and the kids. ;)

procion 12 June, 2014 @ 6:11 am

Is mm helming this lbp version? I hope so, but I heard that the Hub version wasn’t to be devved by them. lbp is their baby, not sony’s. it needs to stay with them or push comes to shove another english developer. americans cannot and do not get english eccentricities.

link1983 10 June, 2014 @ 1:48 pm   18

Let’s not shaft the EU market on the collector’s edition this time eh. Can’t wait for this :D

izzy-HY 10 June, 2014 @ 3:01 pm   19

I’m very excited about the news of LBP3, and like the new characters. I can’t wait to explore new creative possibilities in this new adventure. My only question is, can we still just be sackboy x4. I am curious since I know most wouldn’t want to be forced in to being a character that they don’t want to be. I want to definitely play as the new plush guys, but hope that it’s optional.

ResonantFormula 10 June, 2014 @ 3:05 pm   20

One question: will all of the materials, stickers, and decorations from the two previous games make a returrn in LBP 3? I had access to all of my LBP 1 stuff in LBP 2. I am just a little curious!

Omegastoopreme 11 June, 2014 @ 5:50 am

Thats exactly hat i was thinking. May daughter has so much stuff in LBP2 already i’ll bet money this means a TOTAL restart. :(

oden622 10 June, 2014 @ 3:12 pm   21

This is going to be the best game for years to come. Buying it day one.

Alluxus3 10 June, 2014 @ 4:11 pm   22

Take my money!!!

pingrek77pl 10 June, 2014 @ 4:35 pm   23

Is it only on PS4? Guys… LBP is my favourite game i have ever played. I don’t want to spend my money on PS4, then on LBP3. I found many new things: characters, power-ups, costumes… I WANT IT! So please, PlayStation, give me LBP3 on PS3.

MAD_LiL_SiS 10 June, 2014 @ 5:40 pm   24

So cant wait, looks brilliant :)

flaidan 10 June, 2014 @ 5:48 pm   25

:D Now I can get a PS4!

tasklip8 10 June, 2014 @ 7:45 pm   26

I’m a big LBP fan, but I don’t have a PS4. It would be awesome if MM could release a PC Port. Isn’t the PS3 software based on Linux, which was built on in PS4? Can’t we emulate it if we have Windows? Haven’t many other games been successfully converted? No way am I buying the PS4 just for this game. Overpriced accessories, bad management, and paid internet are enough for me to steer clear of the PS4. And I’ve seen how the previous LBP titles were neglected, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I was disappointed in the new LBP3. Any chance?

Jono_WB 10 June, 2014 @ 7:45 pm   27

Thank you for keeping this a secret, I wish more games were announced with less than six months to go before release.

Oh and this looks great as well !

tasklip8 10 June, 2014 @ 8:08 pm   28

This game is so lazy. It looks like they took the original LBP1 beta (which did have 3D capabilities like LBP3-check out the videos) , added all of the LBP2 tools and some new characters which probably look a few seconds to make and look like glitches (seriously, who designed that?), and called it a game. Then released it on PS4 only to get paid by Sony. If the EARLY PS3 was enough to handle the 3D capabilities of LBP1 beta, why can’t the PS3 handle this game? Why do I have to buy a PS4? Nothing in this franchise is about creativity or whatever now. Just money. They even said that they removed the 3D capability from the final LBP1 release because it was too complex for players, and they now bring it back? Sounds like a get rich quick scheme to me…

yourgrandmaw 11 June, 2014 @ 6:42 am

yeah 5 years of lbp games was actually all a setup for this one feature in a get rich quick scheme.

ricksmiley 10 June, 2014 @ 9:16 pm   29

I emailed the developer a couple days ago inquiring about this topic and got a response the next day:
Hi Rick,

As chance would have it Sony have just announced LBP3 for PS4. You can read about it on their blog: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/10/littlebigplanet-3-coming-soon-ps4/

Cheers,
Simon

cosala94 10 June, 2014 @ 9:27 pm   30

very nice! a question if sackboy falling from a great height can make a somersault and then gravity may intervene in the water in order to create waterfalls and rivers?

jonnysim 10 June, 2014 @ 11:53 pm   31

Playstation 3 version confirmed by the man himself.

masseyf 11 June, 2014 @ 6:29 pm   32

Legacy support just bloats things and hampers a products full potential. I know some want this for PS3 (and by the looks of it, you are getting it), but you know you need to move on someday, right? The PS3 isnt far off a decade old and considering technology moves as fast as it does, that makes the thing ancient.

One of two things is likely to happen:

1) The desire to cash in on the aging, but much larger audience, results in a game that doesnt make the most of the new hardware available, so that it can be presented on both consoles with the only real difference being res/fps/maybe texture quality. In other words, it’ll look a bit prettier on PS4, but it wont genuinely make use of the extra memory/processing power. (The game wont be all it should have been)

2) The PS4 version will have a couple of exclusive tools that are omitted from the PS3 version (for obvious reasons). In which case, you will be able to create PS4 exclusive levels. Thats essentially going to mean the PS3 version is a rebranded LBP2, with added characters. (PS3 owners are effectively paying for a new title, only to receive a new story mode of a game they already own)

Im hoping for option 2. I want a solid reason to buy a new console and this would be it. In which case, I want a new LBP thats going to make good use of the new hardware.

kingp_35 13 June, 2014 @ 2:02 pm   33

Surely a new Vita version should be made too?

LOL_2pro4u 14 June, 2014 @ 10:25 am   34

There are two things I want to know about this game:
-Is the Sackboy still able to slap?
-Did the possibility of copying and republishing someone else’s levels get removed?
If not, then what would this game’s point be if it ended up like LBP 2 did?

Perfect-idol 14 June, 2014 @ 10:32 am

I can feel how @yuukitto is hungry of slapping other Sacks!

dark_angel69 15 June, 2014 @ 11:39 am

Slapping is important! I don’t want some player playing as Swoop and then picking me up and dropping me into the fire. I wana slap them to free myself!

posh_kitten 15 June, 2014 @ 4:27 pm

Sam!

magsd1962 14 June, 2014 @ 11:31 am   35

I have one question and one question only…

Will there be a demo?

SmallDuD399 14 June, 2014 @ 6:29 pm   36

Is there gonna be a Bundle at least cause i was gonna pre order and i thought to my self i should wait till there a limited edition,well i Hope there is

linebing 20 June, 2014 @ 3:40 am   37

Will it have a beta, if yes where would I sign up?