Posted 3:36am

The original Ratchet & Clank is being re-imagined for PS4

Plus, more details on the upcoming movie

Hey everyone, It’s been a dream of ours for years at Insomniac to see Ratchet & Clank on the big screen. We think the entire Ratchet & Clank universe is a perfect fit for moviegoers, from our unique cast of intergalactic characters and outrageous weapons to the majestic planets and cheeky humor. So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4.

As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market. Both the movie and game will be available in the first half of 2015.

Our California and North Carolina studios will work on the game together – marking our deepest cross-country collaboration since the Durham studio was founded in 2009. Many of the original developers responsible for the very first Ratchet & Clank game will get an opportunity to create the stunning Solana Galaxy our fans have been clamoring for. Longtime Design Director Brian Allgeier, North Carolina Studio Director Chad Dezern and Game Director Shaun McCabe will lead the project.

I’ve been personally involved with the Ratchet & Clank movie since pre-production began. Hopefully, you had a chance to see the film trailer shown during the press conference . We are happy with how production is progressing as everything feels authentic to the spirit of Ratchet & Clank. In fact, our key characters are voiced in the movie by the same fine folks who bring them to life in our games – talented actors such as James Arnold Taylor (Ratchet), David Kaye (Clank) and Jim Ward (Qwark) reprise their famous roles while we have a surprise or two still planned.

Former Insomniac scribe-turned-Hollywood screenwriter TJ Fixman wrote the Ratchet & Clank movie’s original script. Renowned award-winning Insomniac artists David Guertin and Greg Baldwin created the character concepts for some of the new creatures appearing in the film — operating under their spectacular Creaturebox label . And former Insomniac animation director Oliver Wade is helping oversee animation production at Rainmaker Entertainment.

We can’t wait to show you more from both the game and the movie. Expect to catch your first glimpse of the PS4 Ratchet & Clank game this fall – follow us on our social channels below to learn more. In the meantime, we hope you’ve polished off Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus or are brushing up on the PS2 classic games through the HD Collection on PlayStation 3. Of course, you can also get your Ratchet & Clank fix on PS Vita via the HD Trilogy starting this July. Thanks for stopping by, and as always, you can ping Insomniac via our Facebook page or Twitter.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

18 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

xYakuzaz 10 June, 2014 @ 4:11 am   1

I can’t wait! This was the first ever PS2 game i played over 10 years ago! It will be amazing to play it all over again while re-imagined, Great news :)

no6vincent 10 June, 2014 @ 6:50 am   2

new video game and movie ratchet and clank in 2014

Lt_Combo 10 June, 2014 @ 7:31 am   3

Wait … how .. how did I miss this .. ? Awesome news!

a4445342 10 June, 2014 @ 9:24 am   4

when i by my PS4 the first’s games i play that’s with INSOMNIAC GAMES for sure guys.

DemonicPrime 10 June, 2014 @ 10:55 am   5

Oh bother. Out of all of the game’s stable of characters, they pick two from, IMO frankly the worst entry in the lot under Insomniac…All 4 One…Excitement diminishing now…

On the other hand, Ratchet for PS4? Yay. Reimagining? ….Yay. Also, Ratchet is going the way of the “video game game based on a movie that’s based on a video game”? I’m…worried.

dark_angel69 10 June, 2014 @ 11:24 am   6

I’d like to see the movie and the game in one box. :D Would rather enjoy the movie on my own big 50″ TV with a beer in one hand, popcorn in the other and a blanket over me rather than going to the cinema where there is no subtitles and not knowing what’s going on! After watching the movie, can then put the game on when it’s over.

DoYouLikeMyID 10 June, 2014 @ 11:53 am   7

I don’t really know what to feel about this… If I watch the movie, that will spoil the game. If I play the game, that will spoil the movie… I love Ratchet & Clank, and it’s fine that the movie is re-telling the story of the first game, but I would much rather have a new Ratchet and Clank game than a re-imagining of the first game in the series. Oh well, I’ll judge it when I see it.

roseyhead 10 June, 2014 @ 12:12 pm   8

Is the new game going to be 60FPS or are they still committed to selling out for that extra 2% on Metacritic?

This(the Film & the game) & ‘LBP3′ made my day!!! :P :P :P I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY ;)

Really surprised by the lacklustre response to this news at the conference last night, a PS4 remake of the original Ratchet was probably the announcement of the night for me. Please, please however don’t drop the content in favour of graphics, although I thoroughly enjoyed the PS3 R&C games they lacked the scale of the original PS2 games, please try and keep it in the PS4 game.

X_Weapon 10 June, 2014 @ 1:25 pm   11

My last R&C -and Insomniac game- was Quest for Booty.
I will never go back to this saga.

DarkMegamanSX900 10 June, 2014 @ 9:31 pm   12

You know..as I sit here and think on my pass…I think of Ratchet and Clank…it seems like it was only yesterday I was buying the very first Ratchet and Clank game for the PS2…12 years really went by quick…I’m so happy to play this awesome series of a game.Insomniac Game did a good job on the game. Despite anything I see on the web or anything bad people say about the game…I still Love Ratchet and Clank because it teached me a lot of things.I wish Ratchet and Clank all the best in the near future and I’m with it all the way!.Thank You Insomniac Games!!.From Your Biggest Fan Kevin Hendricks!

MrMaximusO 10 June, 2014 @ 9:54 pm   13

I hope there not changing the old story . Like starting from scratch with a complete different plot.

Tobelebo9 10 June, 2014 @ 10:05 pm   14

Ooohh i hope the movie breaks the 4th wall too, i always enjoy those jokes. Most of the time its only in the trailer but still!

res20stupid 11 June, 2014 @ 9:01 pm   15

Well. This is quite a surprise. If you excuse me, I’m going to rob the local game store.

residentSteve 15 June, 2014 @ 4:57 am   16

It seems the older I get the more I love this series looking forward to this game and the movie.