Posted

Helping you stay safe on PlayStation Network: How to share your PlayStation games safely

Your guide to Share Play, and what to watch out for

At PlayStation we recognise that you might sometimes want to share a game you own with a friend or, indeed, try one of their games before making the decision to buy it yourself.

Fear not – there are safe and secure ways to do this on PlayStation Network, both of which we’ll cover today. However, there are also methods that are extremely unsafe, and we wanted to take the opportunity today to discuss those too.

1) Hand your friend the physical copy

Okay, so this one is pretty obvious, but the best and safest way to share your games with your friends is to physically hand them your copy (assuming your friends are trustworthy and will definitely give the game back, unlike my university housemate who borrowed my copy of GTA Vice City and never returned it – I haven’t forgotten, you know who you are!)

Of course this is only an option if you have a physical copy of the game and if your friends live near you. In this day and age it’s not uncommon for people to make friends with people they’ve met online, and many people buy their games digitally.

2) Share Play

Share Play allows players to safely share their game through PSN. Simply invite your friend to a Party on your PS4 and start a Share Play session. Once the session has begun, you have multiple options for what you want to do:

1. Digitally “pass the controller”, allowing your friend to take control of the game for you
  2. Battle against each other in local multiplayer titles
  3. Or simply share your screen with your friend.

Each play session can last for up to one hour and there are no limits on the number of sessions that can be held. This should easily allow your friends to get a good idea of what a game is like before they decide to buy the game for themselves.

For example, I’ve recently been using Share Play to school my niece and nephew, who live on the other side of the Atlantic, in Injustice 2 (and definitely not to boost my win/loss records!)

More information on Share Play can be found here.

3) What not to do

It might seem like the simplest way of sharing your games, but you should never share your PSN log-in details with anyone – especially someone you’ve never met.

Not only is this against the PlayStation Community Code of Conduct but you run the risk of having your account stolen. Your personal information is valuable to scammers and thieves, particularly longstanding accounts with multiple digital purchases or PlayStation Plus subscriptions.

Account thieves may use sophisticated tactics in an attempt to gain your trust, with promises of access to a wealth of digital content in exchange for your log in details. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true then it more than likely is!

If you do give your log-in details to another player you run the risk of them making unauthorised purchases or changing your email and password combination to prevent you from regaining control of your account.

Should you find yourself locked out of your account, or already have an account which has been stolen, you can contact our Customer Services Team who should be able to help once they have verified your identity.

Similarly, if you receive any PSN messages from people asking for access to your account, you can report them to our team of moderators who will take the appropriate action.

Finally, as an added layer of security, we strongly recommend that you enable Two Step Verification on your account. This will result in an access code being sent to your mobile phone any time you try to sign in to your account, which is a handy way of keeping scammers out.

More details on Two Step Verification can be found here.

Read more in our “Helping you stay safe on PlayStation Network” series:

11 Comments
2 Author replies
Thomas_English 13 April, 2018 @ 14:14

I think this article is very useful for newcomers indeed. Thx, Luke.

1.1

Thank you for reading, Thomas_English!

P4NCH0theD0G 13 April, 2018 @ 14:51

Share Play would be great if it actually worked, but the horrible speed test on the PS4 makes it impossible to start.

With 200 down / 12 up, I should have more than enough bandwidth. I can see from downloads and uploads that it actually uses the full bandwidth, same goes for using the PS4 browser to use internet speed tests. But the PS4 speed test only ever shows an upload of 1.7 – 1.9 Mbps, and it seems like that is the only determining factor for whether Share Play is allowed or not.

All the ports are open, Nat 2, everything is fine, but the horrible PS4 speed test only ever registers less than 2 Mbps upload and thus stops me from hosting Share Play sessions because I have “insufficient” upload bandwidth.

This has been reported a lot, but on the PS4 forums, the threads – mine included – talking about the wonky PS4 speed test prohibiting Share Play seem to get deleted.

Show full comment

It would be really nice to get a speed test that actually worked – or at least not base Share Play functionality on it.

ollie_uk_2008 13 April, 2018 @ 16:18
2.1

it does work but you need decent upload speed. i did find a way to bypass it before my internet got free speed bost. something like you a party and then start share play using Quick menu.

2.2

Hi P4NCH0theD0G,

If you’re having technical issues I’d recommend taking a look at our Fix & Connect tool:

If that doesn’t help you get to the bottom of the problem I’d try speaking to Ask PlayStation UK on Twitter. They should be able to help :) https://twitter.com/askps_uk?lang=en

Carnivius_Prime 13 April, 2018 @ 15:06 Edited

Shareplay is one of my fave PS4 features. I’ve often used it to play many offline-only multiplayer games online including some arcade games and PS2 classics (including The Warriors in 2 player with the guy I used to play it with on PS2 years ago before he moved away). :) It hasn’t always worked but been fine about 90% of the time.

ollie_uk_2008 13 April, 2018 @ 16:19

I hope Shareplay is on PS5 is a good feature =D

MiseryPrincess 15 April, 2018 @ 16:53
4.1

I hope it’s expanded upon. Like allowing a friend to play digital titles while you’re not playing them. Also remove the time limit!

Both of those “features” are part of non digital purchases. As digital is usually much more expensive it would be nice to have them!

QuietlyWrong 13 April, 2018 @ 16:34

I’ve enjoyed using Share Play to play some games with a friend and found it works well. (Disclaimer: I have good internet speeds)

However I mostly find it useful for playing co-op games that only support ‘couch co-op’ and I wish that – if both I AND my friend own the game – the one hour time limit need no longer apply.

Carnivius_Prime 13 April, 2018 @ 17:05
5.1

oh yes that 1 hour thing can be annoying. For example it interrupted the flow of an otherwise fine game of 2 player Bubble Bobble.

The index picture is so cute.

it is also nice to have a GIFT feature in the store, so I get also some extra people on that game… but good that Sony support this, in the end is helps to get more people on those games… thx!

Yeah make sure you dont game share that way Sony can’t make twice the cash

We close the comments for posts after 30 days.

Edit history