Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 12:01pm

PlayStation.Blog Recap

And lo, a busy 12 months of PlayStation Blogging draws to a close. Yes, as of today, I’m packing up and heading home for Christmas. However, that doesn’t mean things will be quiet here on the Blog. Anything but. We’ve got a busy fortnight of guest posts lined up for you, including loads of developer Christmas cards, end-of-year interviews, festive quizzes, a few ‘behind the scenes’ specials and lots more besides. It’ll be fun, promise.

I’ll be popping up in the comments whenever I can and you can expect a few festive posts bearing my name too, but please forgive me if I go silent for a few days – I’m in foreign lands between Christmas and New Year.

In the meantime, we’ve had another busy week here on the Blog – so please indulge in a little catch-up reading. Highlights included a preview of your Plus content for January, the results of our inaugural Game of the Year vote, an update on Ratchet & Clank: QForce and a guest post from the clever chaps behind the new Oddworld HD re-releases. See below for all your links.

Right, I’m off to do my Christmas shopping. If anyone has any idea what I should get for my mum, I’m all ears. Thanks so much to you all for welcoming me on to the Blog this year and keeping me on my toes – it’s been a blast. Happy holidays everyone!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

Hello Fred!

First I would like to thank you and the rest of the team for this great year at Playstation! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!

Now to my question. I would like to buy the Walking Dead game which currently costs £15.99 Is there any chance of a discount in the near future?

Thanks :D

Fred Dutton 22 December, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Sure, there’s a chance. Nothing to announce today though I’m afraid. Have a great Christmas!

When I started reading this I thought you were leaving! :(

Can’t wait for January!

Happy holidays to you Fred and the rest of the Playstation team! :)

Hey fred, there’s a few deals that aren’t working on the store right now, Resident evil ORC is only showing up at £26 and F1 race stars has no discount applied, Any chance these will be amended now or is it an after x mas job?

declan__watson 22 December, 2012 @ 12:35 pm   4

Hello Fred
Great blog recap, a nice first start for me on the blog only started in October and its been amazing. Been a PlayStation gamer for 12 years and seeing some amazing new games coming into action makes me extremely happy to be a big PlayStation fan and of corse a huge huge fan of Sony.

I hope you have a merry merry Christmas Fred and to all other fellow bloggers a message “Never Stop Playing”. ;)

Fred I have a question is there any chance of sony buying any developers of PlayStation exclusives. One potential target I think has to be Norwegian giants CCP games. There new ps3 FPS Dust 514 makes me very proud to be a gamer on this platform, it’s a fantastic experience and what I know with games is that Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Online Entertainment are two fantastic game developers both subsidiary’s of sony. So is there any chance of us buying out the company?

Thank you very much Fred, all the best for 2013. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe

declan__watson 22 December, 2012 @ 12:44 pm   5

Hello again Fred
A really nice gift for your mum could be perfume, you could treat her to a gift card or maybe take her out for dinner.

A couple of suggestion but I think the others will have better ideas. :)
LongLivePlay Sony make.believe

Thanks for that fred :)

Have a merry christmas!

RossyWilson 22 December, 2012 @ 12:49 pm   7

and lo, took me a while to get that one haha :) Merry Christmas Fred and everyone one else who is on the blog.

Merry Christmas Fred!

I read Jetpack Joyride should be free but it isn’t.

ANd for your mum, give her a experience. Take her to a show, play, high tea or anything the likes and share that moment. It’s better then any stuff you can buy her.

Nightmare966 22 December, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   9

Well Fred, thanks for the amazing job you all have been doing this 2012. Revamped Plus, new Store and web Store, and all the job you do getting our feedback :)

Merry Christmas to everyone at the Blog and SCEE, and specially to you, Jawad and Chris. Have happy holidays and Happy New Year :)

Thanks Fred. Your doing a great job!! Merry Christmas!!

When is the rest of the festive sale games going to be live on the store? And the MK and other ps plus games aren’t in their relevant sections either.

hey fred how ya doing.

great job getting jetpack joyride free on ps3 and vita with 2 separate trophy lists, i now have the joy of playing it on 4 different devices but only 2 with trophys ;) the vita trophys are not syncing on vita atm.

with regards to your mum why dont you get her a nice box of chocolates along with some sort of nice scarf/wrap type thing from m&s, my wife just got a scarf an glove set out of there made from chaneele(sp) which she said is lovely.

back to games i bought bully and munch last night fired munch on this morning to see what it was like and i think ill enjoy it more than stranger’s wrath which i bought at launch and i just cant seem to get into.

anyway hope you and all the staff at hq have a great Christmas and i hope all my fellow blog users also have a great Christmas. :)

Bumblebee 22 December, 2012 @ 2:57 pm   13

Is anyone else struggling to add funds to PSN?

I keep being told my card is invalid. It isn’t; I checked my bank account, plenty in there; and it was fine on Wednesday when I bought a few things off PSN.

I also tried to pay via the web store using PayPal and that failed too.

Christ I hope nobody has deviously cancelled my debit card, I’m about to go Christmas shopping…

Project2insanity 22 December, 2012 @ 3:26 pm   14

Take her to Subway, get a meatball sub on hearty Italian with cheese, lettuce and peppers, not heated or toasted and no sauce. Sorted.

PIREDERAS 22 December, 2012 @ 3:31 pm   15

Hi Fred!

Thanks for all the goodies all year through! The festive sale had nothing that may interest me, and the 12 deals of Christmas were just solid for me (Sleeping Dogs and Journey/Unfinished Swan). PS Plus rocked though, and I hope next year will be as good as 2012, can’t complain!

I have a question. I bought the Cross-controller pack for LBP2, which also required a 500MB download on my PS Vita, which turned out to be a separate app. While I understand not every game will support this feature, isn’t it a bit too much that, as far as I can tell, every cross-controller compatible game, present and future, requires a separate app? Couldn’t there be some sort of a universal app for cross-controller content in various games? It would also be nice if Ps Vita could be used as a controller for each game, not in a second screen mode.

Well, enough with that, Merry Christmas to everybody, and a happy 2013!

Nicko_McBrain 22 December, 2012 @ 5:24 pm   16

Hi Fred,

This doesn’t really belong here, but I have a problem with the Cross-Controller for LBP2. My PS3 and Vita won’t connect, although I never had a problem with Remote Play. I changed the IPs, I changed the DNS Servers. The only thing I can’t change is the Default Gateway, because they’re connected to two different routers.

Now if you tell me it only works if I use the same router I feel cheated.

Thanks, merry christmas and a happy new year.

almighty-slayer 22 December, 2012 @ 6:42 pm   17

Merry Christmas Fred, and everyone else at SCEE towers. Hope you all have a fantastic break and i hope 2013 is a good one.

Merry Christmas too, to all of the commenters here. Some of you are annoying at times, but this place wouldn’t be the same without you. Hope you all have a great time.

Take care all.

greggypoos 22 December, 2012 @ 7:41 pm   18

^ you read my mind, almighty-slayer!

Thanks to everyone at SCEE – been a fun year to own a ps3 and a vita. 100% satisfied customer.
Really enjoyed the blog too – keep it up!

Cheers!

Roll on 2013:P I can’t wait for the 2013 PS3 Exclusives in erm 2013:D Excellent year this was & last year & the year before & etc etc for the PS3;) PlayStation Brand is the BEST;)

supersmith2500 22 December, 2012 @ 9:14 pm   20

Well 2012 is been a good year with some ups and downs. Let’s hope it gets better. Here are my pro and cons:

PROS:
- PlayStation Vita is finally here.
- Spyro PSone games are finally here along with Castlevania.
- Great free games for Plus.
- Better PSone games.
- PlayStation Store now useable for internet browsers.
- Many indie games were great.
- Staff were really friendly.

CONS:
- New PS Store is sluggish and is very not easy to use.
- Weak sales (No Vita love) and overpriced digital copies of games.
- Few games for Vita are not out yet what NA has now. (eg: RO and P4)
- No information on CS:GO from Valve at all still.
- Errors sometime get in the way since the LBPV issue.
- No price cut for Vita.
- Not enough Vita games but few are great especially ports.
- Poor customer support about store wise.
- CoD: BO Declassified totally bombed for the Vita and is considered the worst game of 2012 for me.
- Studio Liverpool, Zipper Interactive and Bigbig gets shut down.
- The SingStar icon. (yeah I know how we felt about that one)

supersmith2500 22 December, 2012 @ 9:18 pm   21

CONTINUED FROM COMMENT #20:
Talking about lot of cons there but let’s hope it gets better next year. And let’s hope the Vita gets some pretty great titles next year and 2012 is just the beginning for the Vita. Supersmith wishes you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Bring on 2013.

declan__watson 22 December, 2012 @ 11:25 pm   22

Hi Carl
Your absolutely right PlayStation is the best and I have simple reason why PlayStation is the better choice as a console.

1. We have the best exclusives anyone can ask for we have family catalogue of games like ratchet and clank, sly copper, little big planet, core gamers games like Killzone, resistance, god of war and the soon to be released The Last of Us. Casual gamers games like for example grandparents PlayStation move Sports champions, Move fitness etc & of corse family games like Wonderbook with JK Rowlings wonderful IP Book Of Spells set on harry potter.

2. Amazing online sure I know for some people psn got hacked but it got hacked by people who are just idiots they don’t have anything better to do than just sit around so they hack the biggest corporation in the world but PlayStation network has way better things better services like PlayStation plus and PlayStation home, the online had a better feeling and more people are connected to PlayStation network than xbox live or Nintendo network.
To be continued…

declan__watson 22 December, 2012 @ 11:30 pm   23

Follow up from my last post

3. Sony are a more advanced corporation than Microsoft and nintendo not just in gaming but in all deparents whether its Gaming, filming, audio/music and of corse smartphones, tablets, pc/laptops etc. Microsoft and nintendo don’t do any of that except gaming but that’s what makes sony so massive and bigger in all these departments they are simply the best. LongLivePlay Sony make.believe

Written by a true PlayStation and Sony fan. I <3 u Sony :)

Have a great Christmas break Fred! Really impressed with how you’ve been handling the blog, so you deserve it!

Merry christmas and happy new year fred.

This might be a nice thing to buy for ur mom .. mine liked it :)

u can buy it with different kind of oils, 5 colors, which give a colored flame too. Looks kinda cool

Greetz from netherlands

PROS:
- PlayStation Vita
- Great free games for Plus.
- some good excl games
- free psn
- psn shop pc !!!! top
- ps vita interface + u tube/ gmail – facebook
CONS:
- vita = price cute on vita +cut on memcards needed
more good games , no bad ports needed
- psn shop on ps3 =consumer hell :(
- leting mh serie go excluzieve to nintendo ( stil no mh 3 hd in europe on ps3/ vita )
- singspam ,never i buy u sing games to familie childeren enimore.
- missing facebook – gmail- utube – renting films – no ps2 emulation to al games = berk .
- digital prices = – 10 € expensif then real store instead of 10 € lesser = chame u .
- biggest problem = no proper exchange rates of money + love to uk
= suffocated almost all other countries who also buying u stuf !!!

Merry christmas and happy new year en better 2013

Phantom_Blaze 23 December, 2012 @ 12:00 pm   27

Hey!

I saw that the Assassin’s Creed 3 theme is up and I’m going to buy it later! Thanks much!

Could you add the Assassin’s Creed 3 Avatars to the store as well please!!??

THANKS!

Adam :D

DinaZor88_TR 24 December, 2012 @ 2:31 pm   28

o yeah :)

supersmith2500 24 December, 2012 @ 7:22 pm   29

My Christmas wish:
If RCR finally comes out, can you make RCR for free for Plus Members pretty plwease? *cute sad puppy eyes*

The US has it for free for Plus members.

Fred, some constructive criticism (should you ever read this)

Chris said, in one of his sales blogs, that reductions on Vita games were difficult to secure due to it’s ‘small’ library. Well…

LBP, Escape Plan, Rayman Origins, Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, Everybody’s Golf, Unit 13 & Metal Gear Solid HD collection have all had substantial reductions on the US PS store in the run-up to Christmas.

3 of these games are first party, so should not even have required much negotiation. 5 out of the last 6 sales have neglected the Vita. A sad pattern developing.

Since Chris has only been in his post for a few months, perhaps you could ask him to contact SCEA and find out how they do it, because he seems a bit lost.

(it’s funny how the US PS Store personnel are working today & yet EU blog staff packed it in 3 days ago)

Hope you have some Vita stuff lined up for a New Year sale my friend.

Happy Holidays everyone!

supersmith2500 24 December, 2012 @ 8:15 pm   31

@sem1471:
In speaking of small library of games. The US has a ”few” games that are not even out yet like Ragnarok Oddyseey, Persona 4 Golden, Retro City Rampage which is free for US Plus Members and that other game I can’t name. I seriously hope the next sale have Vita stuff on there. I don’t want to leave it to die and I love that system.